Miralex

Kevin O'Brien

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
Anyone heard of Miralex?

A friend recomended it to me and I tried it -- no noticable effect
either positive or negative. It looks like petroleum jelly and probably
is... except for one thing...

Today the same friend faxes me a copy of a recall notice they've sent to
him. Aparantly "clobetasol 17-proprionate was added to to [sic] pure
Miralex cream. Miralex Helath Care Inc. is completely unaware of why or
how this substance was added during its manufacture." (?) They are
"investigating to see how this could have happened"... etc. Sounds to
me like what happened was they got caught.

But, if they are charlatans, they're unusual scam-artists in issuing a
press release & recall... don't these folks just fold the table and take
their three-card-monty somewhere else?

They advertised it and sold it as a non-steroidal but the recomended
usage was VERY much like the run of the mill steroids we've all be
pushed many times; very small amounts, spread only on leisions, etc...

Oh well... and BTW, their website http://www.miralex.com is under
"reconstruction".... I'll bet they never finish. At least they could
post their recall letter on their web site.

Anyway, 'thought this might help someone else who may have decided to
give it a try.

One more thing, you can return your current jar to them and it will be
"replaced as soon as new Miralex cream is available and has been
tested". (Just buy some petroleum jelly and save the postage!)

kob

(I'm going back to the vitamine pusher, at least that stuff is good for
bones, teeth and hair!)

Gary Cleghorn

Dec 20, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/20/99
In article <385E8402...@isn.net>, Kevin O'Brien <kob...@isn.net>
writes

>Anyone heard of Miralex?
>
>A friend recomended it to me and I tried it -- no noticable effect
>either positive or negative. It looks like petroleum jelly and probably
>is... except for one thing...
>
>Today the same friend faxes me a copy of a recall notice they've sent to
>him. Aparantly "clobetasol 17-proprionate was added to to [sic] pure
>Miralex cream. Miralex Helath Care Inc. is completely unaware of why or
>how this substance was added during its manufacture." (?) They are
>"investigating to see how this could have happened"... etc. Sounds to
>me like what happened was they got caught.

Hmmm, Cheminova used the same excuse , what was it again?
Ah yes "cross contamination" :-(

>But, if they are charlatans, they're unusual scam-artists in issuing a
>press release & recall... don't these folks just fold the table and take
>their three-card-monty somewhere else?

Because they don't want to be prosecuted perhaps?

>They advertised it and sold it as a non-steroidal but the recomended
>usage was VERY much like the run of the mill steroids we've all be
>pushed many times; very small amounts, spread only on leisions, etc...

Much like the blue cans.

>Oh well... and BTW, their website http://www.miralex.com is under
>"reconstruction".... I'll bet they never finish. At least they could
>post their recall letter on their web site.

Reconstruction= let's keep our heads down for a while.

>Anyway, 'thought this might help someone else who may have decided to
>give it a try.

Please don't.

>One more thing, you can return your current jar to them and it will be
>"replaced as soon as new Miralex cream is available and has been
>tested". (Just buy some petroleum jelly and save the postage!)

Without the steroid no doubt.

Heard it all before i'm afraid i.e. SkinCap

The people behind companies such as this should be locked up and have
ALL their profits seized because in my book they are all criminals.

>(I'm going back to the vitamine pusher, at least that stuff is good for
>bones, teeth and hair!)

Your probably right.

--

Gary Cleghorn

DaveW

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
Kevin O'Brien wrote:
>...They are "investigating to see how this could have happened"...

>etc. Sounds to me like what happened was they got caught.

Same here. And thanks to Gary for pointing out a lot of the SC
similarities.

A company with no guilty knowledge would most likely be pointing
all their fingers at the packaging company. Especially since Miralex
was supposedly only involved in 'natural' products, what the heck
would clobetasol be doing sitting around in *their* factory if they
packaged it themselves?

>But, if they are charlatans, they're unusual scam-artists in issuing a
>press release & recall... don't these folks just fold the table and take
>their three-card-monty somewhere else?

They're not unusual. They're doing damage control in the hopes you
will send them more money once they get out from under the cloud
that now surrounds them. If they are truly con-men (of a sorts), they
are probably really bad at it, and made too much of an investment to
just slip off into the night. A large investment in facilities, or just in
families and friends, can really anchor a person to one location.

- Dave W.

Will Wachtel

Dec 21, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/21/99
kob...@isn.net (Kevin O'Brien) wrote:

>Anyone heard of Miralex?

>A friend recomended it to me and I tried it -- no
>noticable effect either positive or negative. It
>looks like petroleum jelly and probably is...
>except for one thing...

>Today the same friend faxes me a copy of a
>recall notice they've sent to him. Aparantly
>"clobetasol 17-proprionate was added to to
>[sic] pure Miralex cream. Miralex Helath Care
>Inc. is completely unaware of why or how this
>substance was added during its manufacture."

>(?) They are "investigating to see how this

>could have happened"... etc. Sounds to me
>like what happened was they got caught.

"Ummm, geez, uhhh, how did that happen? Maybe the night watchman's dog
tipped over the barrel of clobetasol, which then rolled down the
mezzanine catwalk until it hit a protruding hose spigot, which punctured
the barrel and the clobetasol spilled into the Miralex vat......yeah,
that's the ticket!"

>But, if they are charlatans, they're unusual
>scam-artists in issuing a press release &
>recall... don't these folks just fold the table and
>take their three-card-monty somewhere else?

(snip)

Here's why, Kevin: the Canadian government is on their tail! This was
a post on this NG that I went to the Deja News archives and copied. I
tested the link and it still works.

>Subject: MIRALEX -- WARNING from Health
>CanadaDate:11/30/1999Author:Neil Carson

>Below is the link - warning from Health
>Canada about Miralex !

http://www.hc-sc.gc.ca/english/archives/warnings/99_134e.htm

Thanks to Neil Carson for posting this originally.

>Anyway, 'thought this might help someone
>else who may have decided to give it a try.

I'm sure that anyone who missed Neil's post appreciates your renewing
the warning. Thanks, Kevin.

Will W.

Harry the Skinflint

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
>"Ummm, geez, uhhh, how did that happen? Maybe the night watchman's dog
>tipped over the barrel of clobetasol, which then rolled down the
>mezzanine catwalk until it hit a protruding hose spigot, which punctured
>the barrel and the clobetasol spilled into the Miralex vat......yeah,
>that's the ticket!"

It was the dogs pissing in the overturned barrel of clobetasol that did it. I
suspect if people took a bath in clobetasol and dog piss they would be cleared
for a bit. Remember also that clobetasol (even generic) costs alot more in the
US and alot more for humans, try mexican varieties for vets, they probably sell
the stuff for a buck an ounce.

Happy to be Alive

IRVCOMM

Dec 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM12/23/99
>try mexican varieties for vets, they probably sell
>the stuff for a buck an ounce.

I know what you mean. Our dog had ear infection as did I. We were both on the
same med's. Hers (the dog) cost about $11 and mine was $26! I had health
insurance and the dog did not. Sometimes I think the dog gets better and more
cost effective treatment than I do...

With psoriasis, and other stuff, one never really knows.

Irv--->in Alabama
(and don't give up - ever)