Strep makes H1N1 Deadly

truehawk

Dec 31, 2009, 7:00:52 AM12/31/09
THIS WOULD MEAN THAT A LOT OF YOU NEED TO GET THE VACCINE IF YOU CAN,
and be very careful if you can't. It also means that if you get the
flu, it is very important that they give you the effective antibiotics
like the Azithromycin which are more effective against biofilms as
opposed to penicillin derivatives like amoxicillian, which for some
reason they love, but if your sinusitis responded to amoxicillian it
is unlikely that you would be here.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/12/091230201419.htm

ScienceDaily (Dec. 31, 2009) — The presence of the Streptococcus
pneumoniae in samples that can be easily obtained in clinics and
emergency rooms may predict risk of severe disease in H1N1 pandemic
influenza.

Reports that H1N1 pandemic influenza in Argentina was associated with
higher morbidity and mortality than in other countries led
investigators in the Center for Infection and Immunity (CII) at the
Mailman School of Public Health of Columbia University, their
colleagues at Argentina's National Institute of Infectious Diseases
(INEI), and Roche 454 Life Sciences to look for viral mutations
indicative of increased virulence and for co-infections that could
contribute to disease.

Complete genome sequencing of nasopharyngeal samples representing
severe or mild disease revealed no evidence of evolution toward a more
virulent phenotype or development of antiviral resistance. However,
MassTag PCR, a method for sensitive, simultaneous surveillance and
differential diagnosis of infectious diseases, found a strong
correlation between the presence of Streptococcus pneumoniae and
increased risk for severe disease. The findings, which suggest a new
strategy for identifying and treating these patients, are currently
online in the publication Plos One.

The scientists examined nasopharyngeal samples representing 199 cases
of H1N1 pandemic (H1N1pdm) influenza virus infections from Argentina.
The sample set included 39 cases classified as severe and 160 cases
categorized as mild.

"We used a combination of 454 pyrosequencing and classical Sanger
sequencing methods to test for viral evolution toward increased
virulence. Comparison of viral sequences from Argentina with those
obtained from other parts of the world provided no clues to the
increase in severity of disease," said Gustavo Palacios, PhD,
assistant professor of epidemiology at CII, and a lead and
corresponding author. "However, MassTag PCR allowed us to find a new
risk factor, independent of obesity, asthma, diabetes or chronic
illness. S. pneumoniae was present in the majority of severe cases."

Specimens were tested for the presence of 33 viral and bacterial
respiratory pathogens. "The presence of Streptococcus pneumoniae in
individuals between the age of 6 and 55, those most affected by the
current pandemic, was associated with a 125-fold increased risk of
severe disease," said Mady Hornig, MD, associate professor of
epidemiology and a co-first author of the paper.

"Whereas the association of S. pneumoniae with morbidity and mortality
had been established in current and previous influenza pandemics, this
study is the first to demonstrate that the diagnosis of S. pneumoniae,
when it is still actionable, might have an impact on clinical
management."

"Three practical implications emerge from our study," said CII
Director W. Ian Lipkin, MD, John Snow Professor of Epidemiology, and
professor of Neurology and Pathology at Columbia University. "First,
S. pneumoniae is important in the pathogenesis and prognosis of
H1N1pdm-associated disease. Whether this effect is associated with all
S. pneumoniae or only with specific serotypes remains to be
determined. Second, easily accessible samples such as nasopharyngeal
swab samples may be used as an index to risk of severe disease. Third,
multiplex diagnostic methods like MassTag PCR can enable rapid
detection of a broad spectrum of viral and bacterial agents and inform
clinical care."

sinus-cure.net

Dec 31, 2009, 7:41:08 AM12/31/09
Whether the effect is associated with all S. pneumoniae still needs to
be found out.. However, I think the times are over where people have
had a real benefit from overused antibiotics such as amoxicillin. It's
always best to try and find out what virus or bacterium it is that
causes the sinusitis. If you include this step and refuse to take just
some antibiotic, then most people will find they need clindamyc /
azithro. or harder drugs.

Against the bacteria, you can also try natural antibiotics: They
constantly change because the plants that produce them alter the
compounds used to kill bacteria and yeast, for ex. liliaceous plants
help, for example garlic, or Tropaeolum and Horseradish. It has been
shown that these can help just as good as classical antibiotics.
However, most sinusitis cases (90 percent), start with a virus
infection. Antibiotics are only there to control bacterial (secondary)
infections.
Kind regards,
Marcus

Steven L.

Dec 31, 2009, 6:07:46 PM12/31/09
"truehawk" <true...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> THIS WOULD MEAN THAT A LOT OF YOU NEED TO GET THE VACCINE IF YOU CAN,
> and be very careful if you can't.

The reported incidence of H1N1 is declining rapidly from its peak a few
months ago. The pandemic seems to be coming to a close.

Steven L.
sdli...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net
Remove the "NOSPAM" before sending to this email address.

truehawk

Jan 1, 2010, 8:37:50 AM1/1/10
On Dec 31 2009, 7:41 am, "sinus-cure.net" <mar...@sinus-cure.net>
wrote:

If you have chronic sinusitis, it is quite likely that your infection
has been challenged by multiple antibiotics.
It is also likely that if your infection was succeptible to those
antibiotics that you would not currently HAVE it.
But I digress. If you have a chronic sinusitis, you likely have a
chronic infection with multiple species present.
The last thing that you need is a case of preventable case of H1N1.
The papers from the early 80s are no longer on line, but if I remember
correctly Couch at the CDC found that
certain bacteria express growth factors for flu viruses, so the
bacteria was set to potentiate a much greater degree of
destruction of cilia and goblet cells by the flu virus than with the
flu virus alone.

truehawk

Jan 1, 2010, 8:41:06 AM1/1/10
On Dec 31 2009, 6:07 pm, "Steven L." <sdlit...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> "truehawk" <trueha...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > THIS WOULD MEAN THAT A LOT OF YOU NEED TO GET THE VACCINE IF YOU CAN,
> > and be very careful if you can't.
>
> The reported incidence of H1N1 is declining rapidly from its peak a few
> months ago.  The pandemic seems to be coming to a close.
>
> --
> --
> Steven L.
> sdlit...@earthlinkNOSPAM.net

> Remove the "NOSPAM" before sending to this email address.

That means that maybe you one a has decent chance of getting the
vaccine without depriving some
other at risk soul.

I have to fly in the coming week and I am going to see if I can get
vaccinated before I do.

John R

Jan 1, 2010, 9:10:56 AM1/1/10
Hi Stephen

I think your comment of coming to a close is premature to say the
least. My advice is get vaccinated.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2009/12/17/AR2009121701309.html?hpid=moreheadlines

John

"Steven L." <sdli...@earthlink.net> wrote in message

truehawk

Jan 1, 2010, 9:28:27 AM1/1/10
wrote:
> Whether the effect is associated with all S. pneumoniae still needs to
> be found out..

Duh:
That is what the article says.

"Three practical implications emerge from our study," said CII
Director W. Ian Lipkin, MD, John Snow Professor of Epidemiology, and
professor of Neurology and Pathology at Columbia University. "First,
S. pneumoniae is important in the pathogenesis and prognosis of
H1N1pdm-associated disease.

Whether this effect is associated with all
S. pneumoniae or only with specific serotypes remains to be
determined.

Second, easily accessible samples such as nasopharyngeal
swab samples may be used as an index to risk of severe disease. Third,
multiplex diagnostic methods like MassTag PCR can enable rapid
detection of a broad spectrum of viral and bacterial agents and inform
clinical care."

>However, I think the times are over where people have

> had a real benefit from overused antibiotics such as amoxicillin.

I concur. That is why I recommend azithromycian instead of
amoxicillian.

>It's
> always best to try and find out what virus or bacterium it is that
> causes the sinusitis. If you include this step and refuse to take just
> some antibiotic, then most people will find they need clindamyc /
> azithro. or harder drugs.

On this we disagree. The present bacteriological tests are of some
help, sort of, however
they only test for bacteria that can be cultured and they are very
specific but have lousy sensitivity, ie they give
a lot of false negatives. Like Johns Hopkins found that they had to
run the tests three times to reliably detect
MRSA in people that had confirmed cases.
Thus if you show up positive for strep or staph, then you can be 99%
sure that you have that bacteria present
but if you show up negative, you still have a good chance of having
it. And then there is the subject of "normal flora".
I had a raging sinus infection and paid the University of Oklahoma 500
dollars for tests that came back "normal flora".
Oakwood Health Care in Michigan classified the swabs from the same
infection as showing a complicated staph/fungus infection.
After 6 weeks. Subsequent tests at two other locations including Duke
and Ohio State show the same thing.

And then there is the fact that only about 1% of bacteria will grow in
by themselves in a monoculture.
Most bacteria do not produce all (the for the lack of a better word)
vitamins that they need to grow and thus
will grow only in the presence of other bacteria that make what they
lack.

My point is that one can spend years and 10 thousand dollars on tests
and still not have the answer.
Using this approach I literally had no antibiotics for 6 months when
my sinusitis started, and except for a brief period of treatment with
Leviquin with I could not stomach, no antibiotics or antifunals for
about a year after until more test results were in.
I believe that trial and error antibiotics and antifungals would have
resulted in less damage than lack of treatment,
though it DID spur to find out how to treat myself.