need advice!

Sarah Waffle

Sep 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/12/98
Hey Everyone!
I am pregnant and thinking of becoming a single parent. (My fiance and I
split and then I found out I was pregnant.) What's your advice? Is it
worth it? There is little chance for a reconcilliation between the father
and I, though we are still friends.
Thanks!
Sarah

Leyton Collins

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Sarah Waffle wrote:

> Hey Everyone!
> I am pregnant and thinking of becoming a single parent. (My fiance and I
> split and then I found out I was pregnant.) What's your advice? Is it
> worth it?

Becoming a dad is the best and most rewarding thing I have or ever will
do
in my life guaranteed. There are going to be many times throughout your
child's growing up that you will just want a break, that's normal.

Leyton

Diana Savage

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98

I was 6 weeks pregnant when I filled for divorce. I had gotten back with my
ex for 3 weeks. Bam, a one shot deal. Everyone said I was crazy to go
through with the pregnacy. I now am s/w/f with 2 beautiful boys, age 8 and
12. They are my love and my life! They haven't seen their "father" in years.
I think you need to look at your question, Is it worth it? It, is your baby.
Good Luck to you,
Diana
dsa...@magicnet.net

SoccerStepMom

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Sarah Waffle wrote:

> Hey Everyone!
> I am pregnant and thinking of becoming a single parent. (My fiance and I
> split and then I found out I was pregnant.) What's your advice? Is it
> worth it? There is little chance for a reconcilliation between the father
> and I, though we are still friends.
> Thanks!
> Sarah

Many folks here are better able than I to tell you what it is like to be
a single Mom. I wanted to point out that, if you do elect to raise this
child, you have to get comfortable with the dad's role in your life.
Unless he gives up his paternal rights, you will be tied to him for the
next 18 years at least.

If he is involved, he may sue you for primary custody of the child, he
will certainly require active participation with you in the raising of
this child. You will have to live close to him, share all major
decisions, etc. If you can cooperate without a lot of other baggage
getting in the way, it can work great. But if there are other issues,
it could be tough.

Anyway, just wanted to point out this facet of the decision. Good luck
with your choice. SSM

Mary Jo Sterns

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Sarah
You should have done your thinking before you got pregnant.
MJ

Sarah Waffle <swa...@vbe.com> wrote in article
<6tf91u$3...@news.vbe.com>...

Nicol

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Mary Jo Sterns wrote:
>Sarah
>You should have done your thinking before you got pregnant.
>MJ

Well, yes...but now she is pregant, and I am assuming it is an
unplanned/unexpected pregnancy. My son was an unplanned pregnancy, my
sister and I (my brother was planned) were unplanned pregnancies. It
happens. Alot.

So now she has the responsibility of deciding what she is going to do now
that her hormones are doing their thing and she is growing attached to the
child (I'm assuming). That is very tough and it helps to talk to people
that have been through it. I would suggest to Sarah, though, to talk to
people who know her very well and have children of their own.

I don't think it is possible to know everything that is involved in raising
a child by yourself. Read here for awhile and you'll see some of the
issues. Your situation is going to be different (of course) depending on
what amount of support you get from family and friends, and, of course, from
the child's father.

There are a lot of unknowns and those are things you need to think about
now. What role is the child's father going to play and can you accept
whatever role it is that he chooses? Can you handle the increased expenses
by yourself (short-term being diapers, clothes, medical, formula or a pump
and bottles, childcare)? Can you handle the increased responsibility,
meaning being the only one to get up in the middle of the night for
feedings, being the only one to change the poopy diapers, the only one to
care for the child when he/she is ill and won't stop crying for hours on
end, plus numerous other things? No going out (or very little), placing
yourself after your child, dealing with an ex that either wants less to do
with the child than you want, or more to do with the child than you want
(custody).

For me...yes it is all worth it. But you need to think about this for
yourself and really get it planned out if you are going to rear the child
yourself. Find childcare now, budget now, stock up now, and start saving
money. Talk in-depth with the father now so that both of you know what to
expect (ie., what role does he want to take, moving questions, visitation
questions, child support questions, disciplinary questions, etc.). Start
thinking now about how you will answer your child's questions when s/he is
wondering where his/her father is or why aren't the two of you married?
This doesn't really cover all of it as the unexpected is always to be
expected, but it may at least give you a starting base.

Good luck,

Nicol

Julie

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Great words, MJ, SSM & Nicol.

Most, if not all, of us here believe that are children are worth any
hardship we've faced, or will in the future. We're all excruciatingly
lucky to have our kids and to have made it as far and as well as we
have. My question in these situations, though, is what if we hadn't been
up to it? There are parents (single or not) who find out after having
children that they aren't.

Now that Josh is on the brink of 16, I realize that as much as I adore
that boy, I wouldn't do single-parenting again with another child. Was
it worth to have had Josh? Absolutely. Would I be willing to do so again
knowing some of the things I've been through as a result? No. I would
love to have more children as a result of a healthy, stable, loving
relationship with a husband, but not on my own.

Sarah, this is one of the biggest decisions you will ever face. It isn't
just about what you want and what you can handle, it's also about the
child and what kind of life you can provide, the relationship between
you and the father, the relationship (or not) between the child and its
father. The romanticism of having and loving a child can blind us to
those things, but I think we have to try our damnedest to get past that
and look at it realistically.

I wish I had an answer for you, but it's your decision alone. For your
own sake and the baby's, I hope you make a wise one based on maturity
and wisdom.

Good luck -
Julie

Krista924

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
To MJ,

Don't you think she knows that? I think the last kind of advice someone needs
is something that takes on a "I told you so" manner. What is done is done.
The question is how to proceed from here.

To Sarah,

When I got pregnant it basically ended the relationship I was having with her
father. Or so we thought. What neither one of us thought about during the 9
months of pregnancy was how we were now parents of a child...together.
Sometimes the biggest challenges I have had to face as a single parent is how
to relate with him. Our thoughts on "best interest of the child" are not
always the same.

While making this decision, talk to everyone you can think of from your boss at
work (do they have a liberal vacation/sick time policy) to your friends and
siblings (will they be a support system when needed) . If you know anyone who
is a single parent, spend time with them. And make sure to look at your
finances. It is amazing how expensive a child is.

Finally, only you can know what is right for you. Don't let pressures from
others make up your mind for you.

Good luck to you. Hope you let us know what you decide.

Mary Jo Sterns

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
My , admittedly flippant response to Sarah, was not so much to her
situation, but to the my perception of her attitude.
In her few lines of a post, she, to me, spoke very casually about becoming
a single parent. To me it came across as a "bubbly" hi everyone.., shall I
choose the red dress or blue one?
Becoming a single parent is a huge decision and you Nicol noted many good
points that Sarah needs to think about.
And this NG has gone down this road before, with other posters and the
"want" to be mommy without a daddy.

I am concerned that as we approach the year 2000, "unplanned pregnancies"
happen "alot". I am not a believer in the "I told you so approach". I am
usually pretty rational and seek solutions instead of placing blame. And I
would never want to be one who would ever turn away if someone was in
genuine need.

But, I felt no sorrow, no anguish, no "torn" between the options from
Sarah's post. And I get angry at how "easily" some "adults" get pregnant
and bring children into this world. This is serious business and is not
taken seriously enough.

I of course feel that I can throw stones because I am a single mother by
choice. But is was a serious choice I made. I thought about it, weighed the
pros and cons for quite awhile and then jumped in, with 2 feet . Mine was a
"planned pregnancy". I am the thrilled mother of a 9 yo girl. No regrets.
But I have scars and it was not easy.

My advice to Sarah, have the child and give him/her up for adoption, to a
loving family . Pay the piper.
MJ

Nicol <stages...@email.msn.com> wrote in article
<eOPhE6y...@upnetnews02.moswest.msn.net>...

SoccerStepMom

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Mary Jo Sterns wrote:

> My , admittedly flippant response to Sarah, was not so much to her
> situation, but to the my perception of her attitude.
> In her few lines of a post, she, to me, spoke very casually about becoming
> a single parent. To me it came across as a "bubbly" hi everyone.., shall I
> choose the red dress or blue one?
> Becoming a single parent is a huge decision and you Nicol noted many good
> points that Sarah needs to think about.
> And this NG has gone down this road before, with other posters and the
> "want" to be mommy without a daddy.
>
> I am concerned that as we approach the year 2000, "unplanned pregnancies"
> happen "alot". I am not a believer in the "I told you so approach". I am
> usually pretty rational and seek solutions instead of placing blame. And I
> would never want to be one who would ever turn away if someone was in
> genuine need.
>
> But, I felt no sorrow, no anguish, no "torn" between the options from
> Sarah's post. And I get angry at how "easily" some "adults" get pregnant
> and bring children into this world. This is serious business and is not
> taken seriously enough.
>
> I of course feel that I can throw stones because I am a single mother by
> choice. But is was a serious choice I made. I thought about it, weighed the
> pros and cons for quite awhile and then jumped in, with 2 feet . Mine was a
> "planned pregnancy". I am the thrilled mother of a 9 yo girl. No regrets.
> But I have scars and it was not easy.

MJ -

I just learned that a cousin of mine has elected to become a single
mother. Planned, like yours, by a woman who has the financial and
emotional resources to make it at least not a disastrous decision. I
disagree with the decision (sorry), but I love and support the person.
What three (or more or less) pieces of advice would you give to the
families of people in your position of things to do to reduce the scars
and otherwise make single parenthood by choice work out? What did peope
do that particularly helped? What did they not do that you wished they
had?

Thanks, SSM

Mary Jo Sterns

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
SSM... pls dont apologize for disagreeing with me... thats what makes the
world go round!

My pieces of advice:
1. You need a support system, both spiritually and physically.
Its important that your close friends, family, at least support your
decision, even if they disagree with it.
For me, I had my mother and sister. And I had a small core of good friends.
They all assisted with babysitting when my job took me away. We often sit
back and blindly say to ourselves," I can do it myself"... well you cant.
Yes you can be responsible and pay the bills etc. But you still need
emotional support from some where. And you are not going to get it from
your paid nanny! You still need some one to share your experiences with
about your little one. It can be very lonely. I did(and often still do)
make the mistake of falling into the Superwoman Complex. Which brings me to
# 2.

2. No one can prepare you for being sleep deprived. I now understand how
usefull a tool it is as a method of torture. When my daughter was born, I
was working for myself and did not get any mat leave per se. I took a bit
of time off. But I still had to be in touch with clients. So I worked all
day, did the baby thing at night, and often did some work at night too.
Combined with getting caught up in that web of my daughter continuing to
wake up until she was almost 2 yrs old., I was ready to kill for sleep. My
advice.. be sure you are able to take as long of a mat leave as possible
and that you have planned well financially.

3. What is your explanation re your childs father? This must be thought out
long and hard. Your child will notice very soon that your situation is
different from his/her friends. The "whys" will come out soon. I am perhaps
not a true "Single Mother by Choice", cause my daughters father is around
and does drop in once in a while. To my daugher, we are divorced. Yet she
also knows that we did not live tog as a family. SHe is just now coming to
terms with all this. But it has not been easy. I made a huge mistake in
judgement. I did not believe that it would make any difference to her if
she had a father. I believed that it would be enough for her to have me,
cause hey, I was doing all the work any way. I was wrong. She was "missing"
something she never had. This is a very important issue. You must address
this.

4. Ok.. I know you said 3 pieces of advice... but something has come to me
recently. Be prepared for the lonliness yourself. When your little pumpkin
is a baby and toddler. There is so much to do that that really is your
life. Now that my daughter is 9, she needs me differently. THe baby and
toddler stuff was easy. Now it is school work and soccer skeds and karate
classes and hormones and testing her independance and my patience. And
thinking about those teen years just around the corner. If you struggle
along thru the younger stage and then say "phew", I made it.. my child is
now 9 and it will be easier. You will be wrong. You never trully understand
the frustration your own parents felt,until you are in the middle of a war
of wills with your 9 yo girl. It is not fun and incredibly tiring. And you
have no one to talk to about it. I also believed that it would be easier
now, and is sure is not.

To sum it up. It aint easy. Do I regret! Never. I may regret my mistakes,
but never becoming a mother.
Bottom line... it is not for everyone. It requires fortitude. You must have
an inner strength that you will turn to constantly. You must be a survivor
and it is no place for wimps!
Cause no matter how great the support system is, the buck still stops with
you.

Hope this helps!
MJ

Peter F. DeMos

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
MJ wrote, amongst other things:

> My advice to Sarah, have the child and give him/her up for adoption, to a
> loving family .

Okay. That would be my advice too.

But I still am a big advocate of buy low, sell high :-)

peterd
--The original peterd. Accept no substitutes.--
http://www.peterd.com

Nicol

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Mary Jo Sterns wrote in message:
<snipped>

>I of course feel that I can throw stones because I am a single mother by
>choice. But is was a serious choice I made. I thought about it, weighed the
>pros and cons for quite awhile and then jumped in, with 2 feet . Mine was a
>"planned pregnancy". I am the thrilled mother of a 9 yo girl. No regrets.
>But I have scars and it was not easy.

I just wanted to make a quick point. Unplanned pregnancies do not
necessarily mean unwanted children. I did not plan to become a single
mother. I agonized over my decision after I became pregnant. But my son
was wanted and still is. I think that is the case with most unplanned
pregnancies...that the resulting child is wanted. The cases where the child
is not wanted is the problem...not just the fact that it was unexpected.
The resulting difference from your planned pregnancy and my unplanned
pregnancy is negligible.

>My advice to Sarah, have the child and give him/her up for adoption, to a

>loving family . Pay the piper.

Yes...and a lot of people told me this too. And to get an abortion. Why
was it okay for you to have your daughter and rear her yourself as a single
mother, and not okay for this woman to? Simply because she didn't expect to
become pregnant? Might she not want this child every bit as much as you
wanted your daughter?

I'm not trying to cause a fight here, but I just don't understand difference
between your situation and hers (or mine, for that matter).

Nicol

>MJ

Mary Jo Sterns

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98

Nicole said:>
> I just wanted to make a quick point. Unplanned pregnancies do not
> necessarily mean unwanted children. I did not plan to become a single
> mother. I agonized over my decision after I became pregnant. But my son
> was wanted and still is. I think that is the case with most unplanned
> pregnancies...that the resulting child is wanted. The cases where the
child
> is not wanted is the problem...not just the fact that it was unexpected.
> The resulting difference from your planned pregnancy and my unplanned
> pregnancy is negligible.

There will always be an exception to every rule. And I did not mean to
imply that all unplanned pregnancies were unwanted children. I was only
saying that to me it makes sense to go into such a huge responsibility as
parenthood prepared and therefore planned.

MJ said:
> >My advice to Sarah, have the child and give him/her up for adoption, to
> >loving family . Pay the piper.

Nicol replied:

> Yes...and a lot of people told me this too. And to get an abortion. Why
> was it okay for you to have your daughter and rear her yourself as a
single
> mother, and not okay for this woman to? Simply because she didn't expect
> become pregnant? Might she not want this child every bit as much as you
> wanted your daughter?

MJ answered:
I am not saying it is not okay for this woman, Sarah to keep and raise her
child. I am saying that it is a hard hard road. And I seriously believe
that it is not the best choice for everyone. I do not know Sarah.. perhaps
she has the guts to do it on her own, maybe not. And I am not doubting that
she may want this child. But is she prepared and able to raise the child on
her own? Only Sarah can decide this.

Nicol:

> I'm not trying to cause a fight here, but I just don't understand
difference
> between your situation and hers (or mine, for that matter).

MJ:
I did not mean to imply that there was a difference in our situations. I
was just explaining mine and what I felt about going the single mother
route, thru my experience. And I just did not get a "sense" of a Sarah that
could do it. I could be unfair as all I have to go on is her post of a few
lines.

janelaw

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Mary Jo Sterns wrote:

> Nicole said:>
> > I just wanted to make a quick point. Unplanned pregnancies do not
> > necessarily mean unwanted children. I did not plan to become a single
> > mother. I agonized over my decision after I became pregnant. But my son
> > was wanted and still is. I think that is the case with most unplanned
> > pregnancies...that the resulting child is wanted. The cases where the
> child
> > is not wanted is the problem...not just the fact that it was unexpected.
> > The resulting difference from your planned pregnancy and my unplanned
> > pregnancy is negligible.

MJ replied:

> There will always be an exception to every rule. And I did not mean to
> imply that all unplanned pregnancies were unwanted children. I was only
> saying that to me it makes sense to go into such a huge responsibility as
> parenthood prepared and therefore planned.

Jane stuck her $.02 in:

Sometimes I think this is what pregnancy is all about. Remember
how obsessed you were during those nine months? We all
changed. I was so preoccupied I couldn't drive! In the back of
my mind, I was constantly thinking about the changes in my life,
how I would care for the child, whether my ex would be a good
father, etc. I am sure that women who have planned their
children go through this, too. No matter how much you think
about it ahead of time, it's still completely overwhelming when
it happens.

Sarah Waffle

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Just to clarify, though I'm not sure why I even have to defend myself. We
did THINK about this before we got into it. We always used protection (both
a condom and diaphram with spermacide), but freakish accidents happen. I
love this child growing inside of me and have the resources to raise it on
my own, but would like advice from those who have been there as I, of
course, do not have the hindsight that you do. I am also sorry to sound
"bubbly," but I am a) basically happy to be pregnant and b) attempting to
deal with it in a way that will not cause stress on my body and my baby.
Thank you.
Sarah

Mary Jo Sterns wrote in message

<01bddf29$10412580$d08a...@maryjos.carlson-marketing.ca>...

Nicol

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
>Jane stuck her $.02 in:
>
>Sometimes I think this is what pregnancy is all about. Remember
>how obsessed you were during those nine months? We all
>changed. I was so preoccupied I couldn't drive! In the back of
>my mind, I was constantly thinking about the changes in my life,
>how I would care for the child, whether my ex would be a good
>father, etc. I am sure that women who have planned their
>children go through this, too. No matter how much you think
>about it ahead of time, it's still completely overwhelming when
>it happens.

Isn't it though? The only things I can remember of the time I was pregnant
was the planning, doctor's appointments, worrying, talking and singing to my
belly, having people put their ears to my belly (as if they could actually
hear something), people giving me breaks because I was a big ole whale of a
woman (my belly was as big as a woman having twins according to my doc), the
obsession with constantly cleaning everything I could get my hands on. I
can't remember anything of that period that didn't have to do with my baby.
The rest of the world simply did not exist. I think pregnancy and insanity
are pretty closely related... :)

Nicol

Nicol

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Sarah Waffle wrote:
>Just to clarify, though I'm not sure why I even have to defend myself. We
>did THINK about this before we got into it. We always used protection
(both
>a condom and diaphram with spermacide), but freakish accidents happen. I
>love this child growing inside of me and have the resources to raise it on
>my own, but would like advice from those who have been there as I, of
>course, do not have the hindsight that you do. I am also sorry to sound
>"bubbly," but I am a) basically happy to be pregnant and b) attempting to
>deal with it in a way that will not cause stress on my body and my baby.
>Thank you.
>Sarah

I'm glad that you provided a little more information, as your original post
(to be fair to MJ) did seem flippant about the choice to become a single
mom. For those of us who have been through it, the remark just seemed too
casual.

Any time you are posting to a public forum, however, you are going to get a
myriad of suggestions. That is a good thing really. MJ, me, Julie, SSM,
and others are giving you what opinions we can based on our interpretation
of what you said and what our experiences have been. You'll take what you
want and what you feel applies to your situation and leave the rest.

Nicol

Nicol

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
Mary Jo Sterns wrote in message:
>I think what amazed me the most, was how being pregnant made you public
>property. I took the subway during my pregnancy to my office , and
>strangers constantly spoke to me... how are you feeling? When are you due?
>Did you experience morning sickness? Is it your first? It was as if the
>pregancy gave you a common bond, and the world spoke to you.. Sorry, but
>yuck.. I hated it!!

And everyone wants to touch you! I was obsessed with germs when I was
pregnant...and these people, who I was sure hadn't washed their hands in
ages, wanted to lay their hands on me! Aaack!! There were good things too,
I guess. Cars would stop just to let me cross the street, I'd get free
veggies at restaurants from concerned servers, and I had bathroom
priveledges at places that didn't allow people using theirs unless you were
a paying customer.

>Or I wanted to wear a sign that said... I'm not fat.. just pregnant!

lol...unless, like me, you were both. I gained about 75 lbs during my
pregnancy. Not good. When they say, "Your eating for two now", I took that
to mean eating for two fully grown adult males. :)

>Nicol is right about the overwelmng feeling.... at least once a day, when I
>was pregnant, I would say... Oh my gosh, I am going to be responsible for
>anothers life!. It was and is overwelming.
>MJ

I think Jane said that...but yeah. It is a pretty awe-inspiring feeling.
Scares me sometimes thinking that....

Nicol

>Nicol <stages...@email.msn.com> wrote in article

><OlacZp339GA.258@upnetnews05>...

orstatemom

Sep 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/13/98
I think you have had some pretty awesome tips from everyone and like said before
only you can decide what is best for you and how much you have to give that
precious life inside you. I will just ad a plea for the baby which will add a
different angle.

I couldn't have my own child and adopted mine. I was married at the time but as
fate has it he left when she was 2 months old. I wasn't planning on being a single
parent but have never regretted it and wouldn't change it for the world. I would
do it again and again even if I knew the outcome. My ex decided to be a good
father to her and has kept up his visits at least.

What I am trying to say gently is I hope that one of your decisions won't be to
terminate the pregnancy. If you should find that mothering this child will be too
difficult please let it have the chance with a loving and deserving family. So
many are out there like I was that wanted children so bad and couldn't. I would
not have the joy of my life if it weren't for Rachel's birth family. There are so
many types of adoptions available today, that if wanted you may still be involved
in the child's life. Or not if wanted. I just have seen so much devastation
happen when termination is the outcome. A lifetime of wondering if the right thing
was done, guilt or regret, etc.

I know I have left myself wide open for the pro-choicers and that is not my intent
to cause a ruckus, I just know that this world is a much happier place for me with
the blessing I have received. It is one I will be forever grateful for no matter
what the cost was.

Good luck to you and my prayers are with you and child.

Pat S.

Mary Jo Sterns

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
I offered advice Sarah.. I apparently offended you. You cannot expect to
just bounce in here, never been heard from before and say hey...so am
thinking about having a baby... think I'll be a single mother... and not
get any flack. I suggest you sit back and listen to all who wish to speak
and then make your choice.

You mention resources for it... I am assuming you mean financial for your
child... but what else? What about the father? How does he fit in? Have
you told him? ETc etc....

<6thn2u$k...@news.vbe.com>...

> Just to clarify, though I'm not sure why I even have to defend myself.
We
> did THINK about this before we got into it. We always used protection
(both
> a condom and diaphram with spermacide), but freakish accidents happen. I
> love this child growing inside of me and have the resources to raise it
on
> my own, but would like advice from those who have been there as I, of
> course, do not have the hindsight that you do. I am also sorry to sound
> "bubbly," but I am a) basically happy to be pregnant and b) attempting to
> deal with it in a way that will not cause stress on my body and my baby.
> Thank you.
> Sarah

Mary Jo Sterns

Dididiaz31

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
>I think what amazed me the most, was how being pregnant made you public
>property.

How many people that you didn't know came up to touch your pregnant stomache?
I hated that....

Didi, single mother to Caitlin, 9, Patrick, 7, and Meagan, 4.

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against
it."
G.K. Chesterton

Larz Sterne

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Dear Sarah:

I don't know how well my comments will be welcome , after all I'm a
man and if you've been reading here awhile you'll know I'm not very
popular, but i think you are very brave. As you have said, not only
was this pregnancy unplanned, but actively guarded against, however
when you discovered it you embraced it wholly. Of course there was
alot of fear involved in your thinking. Frankly I would be more
worried if you weren't scared. Not being scared when faced with
something as life altering as child rearing is a sign of stupidity.

Even my sister and brother-in-law who tried for years to get pregnant
had deep fears once they were successful.

it is true that i don't know first-hand what it's like to be
pregnant, but I will give you the same line I suggested to my ex-wife
when she would deal with people who asked if she was pregnant, or just
fat.
Are you stupid? or just ignorant?

I will pray that your child is born healthy, and i will pray that you
find the strength to be a good mother. Although the desire to be a
good parent is half the battle and you seem to have that. Good luck
and Godspeed!

By the way the truth bank called, your reality check bounced.
Larz Sterne

janelaw

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Sarah Waffle wrote:

> Just to clarify, though I'm not sure why I even have to defend myself. We
> did THINK about this before we got into it. We always used protection (both
> a condom and diaphram with spermacide), but freakish accidents happen. I
> love this child growing inside of me and have the resources to raise it on
> my own, but would like advice from those who have been there as I, of
> course, do not have the hindsight that you do. I am also sorry to sound
> "bubbly," but I am a) basically happy to be pregnant and b) attempting to
> deal with it in a way that will not cause stress on my body and my baby.
> Thank you.
> Sarah

You don't have to defend yourself or explain anything.

Congratulations on your pregnancy.

Sometimes it is hard to read people from their posts.

Single parenting is very hard and very rewarding.

Cici in Texas

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
On 14 Sep 1998 02:54:46 GMT, Dididiaz31 wrote:

>>I think what amazed me the most, was how being pregnant made you public
>>property.

>How many people that you didn't know came up to touch your pregnant stomache?
>I hated that....
>
>Didi, single mother to Caitlin, 9, Patrick, 7, and Meagan, 4.

I didn't exactly hate it, coz I'm a pretty huggy sort
anyway, but it did kind of weird me out . . . until it
finally clicked in my brain that people just can't resist
getting as close to an authentic miracle as they possibly
can. And if starting out with a couple of cells and ending
up with a whole new person isn't a miracle, I don't know
what is.

Cici in Texas
(Remove xspam from address to reply)

Wendy A. S. Taylor

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
In article <199809140254...@ladder01.news.aol.com>,

Dididiaz31 <didid...@aol.com> wrote:
>>I think what amazed me the most, was how being pregnant made you public
>>property.
>
>How many people that you didn't know came up to touch your pregnant stomache?
>I hated that....

Noone ever did that to me, fortunately, but on the whole I think anything
that gets people talking to each other is a boon. Maybe I feel this way
because I live in the UK, where people are very reserved on the whole,
or maybe it's just because I'm sociable. I often find myself starting
conversations with other people with children or babies, or talking to
people on the tube, trains or planes.

Wendy

Wendy A. S. Taylor

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
In article <35FB56...@hotmail.com>,

SoccerStepMom <soccer...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>Many folks here are better able than I to tell you what it is like to be
>a single Mom. I wanted to point out that, if you do elect to raise this
>child, you have to get comfortable with the dad's role in your life.
>Unless he gives up his paternal rights, you will be tied to him for the
>next 18 years at least.

I agree, SSM, but just want to add that even if he seems to give up his
paternal rights at this stage, things may change in the future. Be
prepared for all eventualities and accept that the only sure thing is
change.

Best of luck.
Wendy

Sue

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
No! Don't bother with him. Just because you going to having a baby you don't
need a man.

John Lazar

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:31:24 GMT, swi...@dreamscape.com (Sue) wrote:

>No! Don't bother with him. Just because you going to having a baby you don't
>need a man.

You may not need a man, but your child will eventually need a
positive male role model.

Mary Jo Sterns

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
And another intelligent life form heard from!
MJ

Sue <swi...@dreamscape.com> wrote in article
<w08L1.4$da.6...@newsfeed.dreamscape.com>...

Peter F. DeMos

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Sue wrote:

> No! Don't bother with him. Just because you going to having a baby you don't
> need a man.

You go sister!!! Preach on!

Hehehehe.

Peter F. DeMos

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
John Lazar wrote, after :

>> No! Don't bother with him. Just because you going to having a baby you don't
>> need a man.
>
> You may not need a man, but your child will eventually need a
> positive male role model.

Don't be ridiculous John. The only thing the child needed was the sperm.
Not even any need for a penis anymore, and thank the Lord for that!

Right Sue? (Or Stu. Which is it?)

Buahahaha :-)

Char

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98

Cici in Texas wrote:

> On 14 Sep 1998 02:54:46 GMT, Dididiaz31 wrote:
>
> >>I think what amazed me the most, was how being pregnant made you public
> >>property.
>
> >How many people that you didn't know came up to touch your pregnant stomache?
> >I hated that....
> >

> >Didi, single mother to Caitlin, 9, Patrick, 7, and Meagan, 4.
>
> I didn't exactly hate it, coz I'm a pretty huggy sort
> anyway, but it did kind of weird me out . . . until it
> finally clicked in my brain that people just can't resist
> getting as close to an authentic miracle as they possibly
> can. And if starting out with a couple of cells and ending
> up with a whole new person isn't a miracle, I don't know
> what is.
>
> Cici in Texas
> (Remove xspam from address to reply)

Hmmm, I think I missed out on some of the pregnancy bit. I didn't even show til
after the 7th month! Not much there for anyone to touch.

Mary Jo Sterns

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
OK.. now I hate you....at 7 months they were widening doors for me.
Goodyear was calling..offering me a job!
MJ

Char, thinly noted:

Char

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98

John Lazar wrote:

> On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:31:24 GMT, swi...@dreamscape.com (Sue) wrote:
>

> >No! Don't bother with him. Just because you going to having a baby you don't
> >need a man.

Don't "bother" with him seems to also impress that he has absolutely no say in
his own child's life. What if "wants" to be involved? Without immaculate
conception, she has no rights to disclude him simply because she doesn't want to
be bothered.

Char

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98

SoccerStepMom

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Peter F. DeMos wrote:

> Sue wrote:
>
> > No! Don't bother with him. Just because you going to having a baby you don't
> > need a man.
>
> You go sister!!! Preach on!
>
> Hehehehe.
>
> peterd
> --The original peterd. Accept no substitutes.--
> http://www.peterd.com

No, no, Peter, do we women have to tell you *everything*???? It's
"Amen, Sister" or "You go, girl".

Sheesh. Imagine hearing a woman say, "we're at the bottom of the ninth,
first and goal to go, and I think we're going to be first to cross the
finish line..."

;-)

Julie

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Are you speaking for the child? Do you know absolutely how this child will feel
about the lack of a father in his/her life?

I didn't think so...

Julie

Julie

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Where?? <swiveling head around>

Oh, I get it... ;-)

Julie

Mary Jo Sterns wrote:

> And another intelligent life form heard from!
> MJ
>
> Sue <swi...@dreamscape.com> wrote in article
> <w08L1.4$da.6...@newsfeed.dreamscape.com>...

Julie

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
MJ....I'm guessing you heard a lot of the same things I did:

"How big are you gonna get?" "Are you *ever* gonna have that thing?" "You're
*still* pregnant?" "Good god, aren't you afraid you're going to explode?"

And, of course, each person speaking was so sure they were asking a question
you'd never heard before!

Josh was as contrary then as he is now. Most babies are vertical, he went for
the reclining lounge chair position...feet straight out in front and he was
2' long. Ow.

Julie

janelaw

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Julie wrote:

> Josh was as contrary then as he is now. Most babies are vertical, he went for
> the reclining lounge chair position...feet straight out in front and he was
> 2' long. Ow.

I can't imagine. Actually, I probably could if I let myself.

Julie

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
:-) It was pretty awful. You could *see* his feet sticking out at weird angles.
Ewww.

Julie

Mary Jo Sterns

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
I think the absolute worst was when my daugher was about 4 months old, and
someone asked me if I was pregnant again!
MJ

Julie <jul...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in article
<35FD735E...@worldnet.att.net>...

> MJ....I'm guessing you heard a lot of the same things I did:
>
> "How big are you gonna get?" "Are you *ever* gonna have that thing?"
"You're
> *still* pregnant?" "Good god, aren't you afraid you're going to explode?"
>
> And, of course, each person speaking was so sure they were asking a
question
> you'd never heard before!
>

> Josh was as contrary then as he is now. Most babies are vertical, he went
for
> the reclining lounge chair position...feet straight out in front and he
was
> 2' long. Ow.

Dididiaz31

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
I had very large babies though I didn't show that much or gain much weight.
(The advantage to being tall) Caitlin was 9 lbs even, Patrick was 10lb 4 oz
(broke my tailbone on the way out and has been a "pain in the butt" ever since
-- teasing), Meagan was 9lb 3oz though I only gained a total of 8 lbs myself
throughout the pregnancy. Easy pregnancies, but rotten deliveries.

Didi, single mother to Caitlin, 9, Patrick, 7, and Meagan, 4.

"A dead thing can go with the stream, but only a living thing can go against
it."
G.K. Chesterton

pet...@peterd.com

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
SSM wrote, after peterd crashed and burned:

> Sheesh. Imagine hearing a woman say, "we're at the bottom of the ninth,
> first and goal to go, and I think we're going to be first to cross the
> finish line..."
> ;-)

Saaayyy... that sounds kinda *cute*!

:-)

peterd
--The original peterd. Accept no substitutes.--
http://www.peterd.com

Julie

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
8 pounds each pregnancy??? I'm not sure I want to speak w/you anymore! ;-)

I think I gained that the day I found out I was pregnant!

Julie

Robbin Spoonamore Hubbard

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Julie wrote:

> 8 pounds each pregnancy??? I'm not sure I want to speak w/you anymore! ;-)
> I think I gained that the day I found out I was pregnant!

And I gained at *least* that much before I ever got out of the back
seat!

;-)

----
Robbin Spoonamore Hubbard
http://php.indiana.edu/~rmhubbar

Char

Sep 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/14/98
Ok, will you hate me even more if I say that the birth was "smoooooth"?
Doctor said she was due and if I didn't go into labor by Friday, check into
the hospital. Soooo, Friday, I checked into the hospital. Had an epidural
around 5 pm, she was born around 2:05 am Sat. morning, baby and mom left
hospital at noon on Sun. :-)

Aside from that, the reasons for not showing at 7 months weren't so rosy. I
had a problem plaqued pregnancy but an easy birth. The doctor took me out of
work at 7 months, I had gained 11 lbs. Suffice it to say, I gained an
additional 25 in the little under 2 months left! I was eating like a horse
and not retaining any of it. I had perpetual backaches and swollen feet, but
a tiny belly...I was wearing a size 12 jeans at 7 months pregnant. I also
made a daily routine of puking my guts out, at least once per day. Sometimes
so bad it became dry wretching. Oh well, we take the good with the bad.

darl...@hotmail.com

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
My daughter was sideways. We could see her head sticking out on one side, and
her butt on the other. She would try and turn herself around. My belly would
look pretty strange at times. When it came time for her to be born, she was
still the wrong way. They had to manually turn her around in my belly 3 days
before she was born. It did hurt, but she stayed the right way.

Darlin'62

Julie <jul...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
> :-) It was pretty awful. You could *see* his feet sticking out at weird
angles.
> Ewww.

> > Julie wrote:

> > > Josh was as contrary then as he is now. Most babies are vertical, he went
for
> > > the reclining lounge chair position...feet straight out in front and he
was
> > > 2' long. Ow.

Larz Sterne

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
"Peter F. DeMos" <pet...@peterd.com> wrote:

>John Lazar wrote, after :

>>> No! Don't bother with him. Just because you going to having a baby you don't
>>> need a man.
>>

>> You may not need a man, but your child will eventually need a
>> positive male role model.
>

>Don't be ridiculous John. The only thing the child needed was the sperm.
>Not even any need for a penis anymore, and thank the Lord for that!
>
>Right Sue? (Or Stu. Which is it?)
>

>Buahahaha :-)

>peterd
>--The original peterd. Accept no substitutes.--
>http://www.peterd.com

Everybody pay up on your insurance because the world is about to end,
I've agreed with everything Petered has said here. It's a sure sign of
the apocalypse.

Petered I would like to extend the olive branch to you as well. I did
indeed cross the boundaries on my original post here and in some of my
Troll but someone who merely got a little overzealous in defending a
subject that I feel very strongly about. No one in this newsgroup is
happier to discover that my hasty judgement was, according to Opus's
knowledge of the poster, dead wrong.

While I still will never understand her leaving in the first place, I
am glad that she does stay involved with her kids.

So can we bury the hatchet Petered? I'd really like to stay involved
with this group, but if it is solely as a divisive influence, or a
target of hatred and insults then that doesen't help any of us.Besides
if I really needed any more hatred and insults in my life i could just
call my ex-wife more often. ;-))LOL

By the way the truth bank called, your reality check bounced.
Larz Sterne

pet...@peterd.com

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
"Larz" wrote, amongst other things:

> Petered

Who? Me? You talkin' to me? (don't worry, I'm a big movie buff....)

> I would like to extend the olive branch to you as well. I did indeed
> cross the boundaries on my original post here and in some of my

and...

> So can we bury the hatchet Petered?

I have no problem with you. I really don't even know who you are, and I
*never* take anything personally out here in the wild west of the net.

> I'd really like to stay involved
> with this group, but if it is solely as a divisive influence, or a
> target of hatred and insults then that doesen't help

So, stay involved. But don't bounce off the walls with adolescent behavior
and then tell me you're some school psychologist, or whatever you were
attempting to infer, and expect me to listen to you. Act like an adult, and I
have no problem treating you like an adult. Act like a troll, and I'll ignore
you :-) Act like a borderline, I'll slap you when you need slapping, and then
I'll love you again :-) Just like when I was nursing. Gad, how did I *ever*
work open units?!?!?!

But, one thing....

> By the way the truth bank called, your reality check bounced.

The above must go. It's just... so.... juvenile :-)

Okay, two things... It's peterd. Not Peterd, not Petered, not whatever you
were and are still doing with my name. I *am* peterd.

Heh.

peterd
--The original peterd. Accept no substitutes.--
http://www.peterd.com

pet...@peterd.com

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
Rob wrote, after some poor, formerly preggo soul wrote:

>> 8 pounds each pregnancy??? I'm not sure I want to speak w/you anymore! ;-)
>> I think I gained that the day I found out I was pregnant!

> And I gained at *least* that much before I ever got out of the back
> seat!
> ;-)

Gad Rob, I'm still dying over this, 3 hours later. What a flippin hoot!!!!

8 lbs, eh? Of WHAT?!?!?!!?!?!

Ewwww!!!!!! Gross!!!!!

Hehehehe.

Julie

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
ROFLMAO, Robbin!

Julie

Robbin Spoonamore Hubbard wrote:

> Julie wrote:
> >
> > 8 pounds each pregnancy??? I'm not sure I want to speak w/you anymore! ;-)
> > I think I gained that the day I found out I was pregnant!
>
> And I gained at *least* that much before I ever got out of the back
> seat!
>
> ;-)

Cici in Texas

Sep 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/15/98
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 10:37:24 -0400, Char wrote:

>Cici in Texas wrote:

>> >How many people that you didn't know came up to touch your pregnant stomache?
>> >I hated that....
>> >

>> >Didi, single mother to Caitlin, 9, Patrick, 7, and Meagan, 4.

>> I didn't exactly hate it, coz I'm a pretty huggy sort
>> anyway, but it did kind of weird me out . . . until it
>> finally clicked in my brain that people just can't resist
>> getting as close to an authentic miracle as they possibly
>> can. And if starting out with a couple of cells and ending
>> up with a whole new person isn't a miracle, I don't know
>> what is.
>>
>> Cici in Texas

>Hmmm, I think I missed out on some of the pregnancy bit. I didn't even show
>til after the 7th month! Not much there for anyone to touch.

I didn't show as much as most moms do, either, because of a
retroverted uterus. You know how all the diagrams in the
biology books show that the uterus is supposed to tilt
forward? Mine tilted (past tense, I'm status-post
hysterectomy) *backwards*. So I basically carried my kids
on the base of my spine . . . and both of them weighed over
8.5 pounds at delivery, even though the doctors who
delivered them swore up and down that they *knew*, just by
looking at me, that "that baby CAN'T weigh more than five or
six pounds!"

Frankly, I'd have preferred to have a few more stretch marks
and a lot less lower-back problems, but nobody asked me.

Cici in Texas

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98
On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 15:06:46 -0400, Char wrote:

>John Lazar wrote:
>
>> On Mon, 14 Sep 1998 12:31:24 GMT, swi...@dreamscape.com (Sue) wrote:
>>

>> >No! Don't bother with him. Just because you going to having a baby you
>> >don't need a man.

>Don't "bother" with him seems to also impress that he has absolutely no say >in his own child's life. What if "wants" to be involved? Without >immaculate conception, she has no rights to disclude him simply because she
>doesn't want to be bothered.

Char, please forgive me, but I can't keep my mouth shut
about this any more, and my email program is currently not
working (cringe, cringe), but there is no such word as
'disclude,' although maybe there should be. It's exclude.
Really.

And yes, I *know* I'm too language-sensitive, but this kind
of thing hits me like someone playing a blast on the kazoo
in the middle of a Mozart sonata. It completely derails my
train of thought, and I end up thinking about the
nonexistent word (or whatever) instead of the point of the
post. I hate to have that happen in the middle of a really
good post.

Okay, y'all, flame away if you like.

Char

Sep 16, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/16/98

Cici in Texas wrote:

How about next time I just exclude the disclude and include the exclude and all will be well dude....ette? Hehe

Cici in Texas

Sep 25, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/25/98
On Wed, 16 Sep 1998 08:04:06 -0400, Char wrote:

>Cici in Texas wrote:

<snip>

>> Char, please forgive me, but I can't keep my mouth shut
>> about this any more, and my email program is currently not
>> working (cringe, cringe), but there is no such word as
>> 'disclude,' although maybe there should be. It's exclude.
>> Really.
>>
>> And yes, I *know* I'm too language-sensitive, but this kind
>> of thing hits me like someone playing a blast on the kazoo
>> in the middle of a Mozart sonata. It completely derails my
>> train of thought, and I end up thinking about the
>> nonexistent word (or whatever) instead of the point of the
>> post. I hate to have that happen in the middle of a really
>> good post.
>>
>> Okay, y'all, flame away if you like.
>>
>> Cici in Texas

>How about next time I just exclude the disclude and include the exclude and all will be well dude....ette? Hehe

Just as long as you remember to include me -- I hate being
discluded . . . er . . . excluded . . er . . . left out!

almost...@geocities.com

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
In article <6uh8um$qsc$1...@news-1.news.gte.net>,

You know me. I try never to exlude/disclude any dude. :-)

--
Char

Opus-

Sep 26, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/26/98
On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:22:58 GMT, almost...@geocities.com spake
thusly:

>> >How about next time I just exclude the disclude and include the exclude and
>all will be well dude....ette? Hehe
>>
>> Just as long as you remember to include me -- I hate being
>> discluded . . . er . . . excluded . . er . . . left out!
>>
>> Cici in Texas
>> (Remove xspam from address to reply)
>>

>You know me. I try never to exlude/disclude any dude. :-)

I am REALLY starting to get a headache. I need to include some
Tylenol #1
--
jbu...@remove.videonwave.com
(Jim, single dad to Lesleigh 04/20/94)

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled
of elderberries!! Now go away or I shall taunt you
a second time!!

almost...@geocities.com

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
In article <360e2d9d...@news.videon.wave.ca>,

jbu...@remove.videonwave.com wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:22:58 GMT, almost...@geocities.com spake
> thusly:

> >all will be well dude....ette? Hehe
> >>
> >> Just as long as you remember to include me -- I hate being
> >> discluded . . . er . . . excluded . . er . . . left out!
> >>
> >> Cici in Texas
> >> (Remove xspam from address to reply)
> >>

> >You know me. I try never to exlude/disclude any dude. :-)
>
> I am REALLY starting to get a headache. I need to include some
> Tylenol #1

To jbucy (who feels exluded):
I have some Percodan....much better I'm told. :-)

> --
> jbu...@remove.videonwave.com
> (Jim, single dad to Lesleigh 04/20/94)
>
> Your mother was a hamster and your father smelled
> of elderberries!! Now go away or I shall taunt you
> a second time!!

Cici in Texas

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98
On Sun, 27 Sep 1998 00:48:52 GMT, almost...@geocities.com
wrote:

>In article <360e2d9d...@news.videon.wave.ca>,
> jbu...@remove.videonwave.com wrote:
>> On Sat, 26 Sep 1998 17:22:58 GMT, almost...@geocities.com spake
>> thusly:

>and
>> >all will be well dude....ette? Hehe

>> >You know me. I try never to exlude/disclude any dude. :-)
>>
>> I am REALLY starting to get a headache. I need to include some
>> Tylenol #1
>
>To jbucy (who feels exluded):
>I have some Percodan....much better I'm told. :-)

Oooh, send some to *me*! Kse isn't the only one around
this newsgroup with a broken bone in her foot, and frankly,
Scarlett, the ibuprofen just ain't gettin' it!

BTW, I don't have a cast either, because a cast wouldn't
really have helped much considering where the break is.
Instead, I have this really clunky-looking 'post-op shoe'
with Velcro straps that's supposed to keep my foot
immobilized, but which mainly makes my back hurt because of
the different thicknesses between the post-op shoe and my
regular shoes, making me walk 'lopsided,' as it were. Oh,
well, at least I can take it off to sleep or bathe, which I
couldn't do with a cast.

<combining two threads here>

Also, Ksc, you're right -- if your foot is no better after
six weeks, you *definitely* need to see a different doctor,
(preferably an orthopedic surgeon) as soon as possible! In
the meantime, you might want to consider taking some kelp
tablets -- they're very rich in mineral content and help a
lot with the healing of broken bones.

HTH

almost...@geocities.com

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

In article <6ukm99$89g$8...@news-1.news.gte.net>,

<Lopsided Cici wrote:>

> Oooh, send some to *me*! Kse isn't the only one around
> this newsgroup with a broken bone in her foot, and frankly,
> Scarlett, the ibuprofen just ain't gettin' it!

<Upright Char responded:>

LOL

Well we're down to only two left now. My b/f had an abcess yanked out the
other day. He's been in Lala Land since. :-)

> BTW, I don't have a cast either, because a cast wouldn't
> really have helped much considering where the break is.
> Instead, I have this really clunky-looking 'post-op shoe'
> with Velcro straps that's supposed to keep my foot
> immobilized, but which mainly makes my back hurt because of
> the different thicknesses between the post-op shoe and my
> regular shoes, making me walk 'lopsided,' as it were. Oh,
> well, at least I can take it off to sleep or bathe, which I
> couldn't do with a cast.
>
> <combining two threads here>
>
> Also, Ksc, you're right -- if your foot is no better after
> six weeks, you *definitely* need to see a different doctor,
> (preferably an orthopedic surgeon) as soon as possible! In
> the meantime, you might want to consider taking some kelp
> tablets -- they're very rich in mineral content and help a
> lot with the healing of broken bones.
>
> HTH
>
> Cici in Texas
> (Remove xspam from address to reply)

Kse63

Sep 27, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/27/98

Cici Wrote:

>Oooh, send some to *me*! Kse isn't the only one around
>this newsgroup with a broken bone in her foot, and frankly,
>Scarlett, the ibuprofen just ain't gettin' it!

The ibuprophen does more for me than this stupid naprosyn...

>BTW, I don't have a cast either, because a cast wouldn't
>really have helped much considering where the break is.
>Instead, I have this really clunky-looking 'post-op shoe'
>with Velcro straps that's supposed to keep my foot
>immobilized, but which mainly makes my back hurt because of
>the different thicknesses between the post-op shoe and my
>regular shoes, making me walk 'lopsided,' as it were. Oh,
>well, at least I can take it off to sleep or bathe, which I
>couldn't do with a cast.

Mine was "make sure you have a good tennis shoe" DUH!!'

>Also, Ksc, you're right -- if your foot is no better after
>six weeks, you *definitely* need to see a different doctor,
>(preferably an orthopedic surgeon) as soon as possible! In
>the meantime, you might want to consider taking some kelp
>tablets

Sheesh - I already take two different vitamins every day - it's gonna start
taking me FORever just to get thru brushing my teeth (that's where I keep the
vitamins too)

> they're very rich in mineral content and help a
>lot with the healing of broken bones.

Cool....I'll have to look into it - really....just add it to the morning
routine I suppose...... ;-)

"Never above you. Never below you. Always beside you."
---Walter Winchell

Cici in Texas

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98
On 27 Sep 1998 13:48:17 GMT, Kse63 wrote:

>Cici Wrote:
>
>>Oooh, send some to *me*! Kse isn't the only one around
>>this newsgroup with a broken bone in her foot, and frankly,
>>Scarlett, the ibuprofen just ain't gettin' it!
>
>The ibuprophen does more for me than this stupid naprosyn...

Eww, naprosyn gives me . . . well, let's just say that I
don't get very far away from the bathroom if I take any of
that stuff.

>>BTW, I don't have a cast either, because a cast wouldn't
>>really have helped much considering where the break is.
>>Instead, I have this really clunky-looking 'post-op shoe'
>>with Velcro straps that's supposed to keep my foot
>>immobilized, but which mainly makes my back hurt because of
>>the different thicknesses between the post-op shoe and my
>>regular shoes, making me walk 'lopsided,' as it were. Oh,
>>well, at least I can take it off to sleep or bathe, which I
>>couldn't do with a cast.

>Mine was "make sure you have a good tennis shoe" DUH!!'

You must have gone to the doctor's office instead of the ER,
right? Most ERs keep a supply of postop shoes in stock, but
very few doctor's offices do (except for podiatrists). I
learned that lesson two years ago, when I broke a bone in my
*left* foot (it's the right one this time, wouldn't you
know?). My doctor wrote me a prescription for a postop
shoe, but I still had to go to a medical supply house to
actually get the stupid thing.

>>Also, Ksc, you're right -- if your foot is no better after
>>six weeks, you *definitely* need to see a different doctor,
>>(preferably an orthopedic surgeon) as soon as possible! In
>>the meantime, you might want to consider taking some kelp
>>tablets
>
>Sheesh - I already take two different vitamins every day - it's gonna start
>taking me FORever just to get thru brushing my teeth (that's where I keep >the vitamins too)

*grin* Doesn't everybody? I used to keep my birth-control
pills with my toothbrush -- nowadays, it's my vitamins and
blood-pressure meds -- because brushing my teeth is the one
thing that I *know* I will never skip. I might be too tired
to wash my face, but I can't *stand* to not brush my teeth
-- I think it's an aftereffect of having had braces on my
teeth for four years.

>> they're very rich in mineral content and help a
>>lot with the healing of broken bones.
>
>Cool....I'll have to look into it - really....just add it to the morning
>routine I suppose...... ;-)

Well, at least they don't cost a whole lot or taste nasty.
B-complex vitamins, on the other hand, taste like moldy
dirt. Yuck!

Think healing thoughts!

Kse63

Sep 28, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/28/98

Cici Wrote:

>Eww, naprosyn gives me . . . well, let's just say that I
>don't get very far away from the bathroom if I take any of
>that stuff.

I haven't had the pleasure of that side effect, but it makes me so sleepy I
can't function. It was really tough taking it during the summer (torn ligaments
in thumb - been a rough few months) when I had classes!!

>You must have gone to the doctor's office instead of the ER,
>right?

yep yep yep

>>Sheesh - I already take two different vitamins every day - it's gonna start
>>taking me FORever just to get thru brushing my teeth (that's where I keep
>>the vitamins too)
>
>*grin* Doesn't everybody?
> I used to keep my birth-control
>pills with my toothbrush -- nowadays, it's my vitamins and
>blood-pressure meds -- because brushing my teeth is the one
>thing that I *know* I will never skip. I might be too tired
>to wash my face, but I can't *stand*
>to not brush my teeth
>-- I think it's an aftereffect of having had braces on my
>teeth for four years.

OH Amen to that!! And the funny thing is I brush 'em right before I go to sleep
and as soon as I get out of bed - now what REALLY happens during that time??? I
dunno - but ick - I can't wait to hit the toothbrush in the mornings....of
course, you gotta wait for the oj then, but that's ok.

I had braces for 3 years - got them on the same day I found out I was pregnant
for #3, and got them off about a month before #4 was born. I felt SOOOOOO self
conscious in that orthodontist chair - big as a house pregnant -
eyeeeeeee......

>Well, at least they don't cost a whole lot or taste nasty.
>B-complex vitamins, on the other hand, taste like moldy
>dirt. Yuck!

Our water has been tasting like dirt, so one of the neighbors called - turns
out - and this is SO gross.....we have an algae in our water - which, now that
I know that recognize the taste - and they are having trouble treating it. Now,
of course they tell us that the algae isn't harmful - my question is - what
about these treatments - ?????

>Think healing thoughts!

Wellll - as I was walking across campus today - and my toes were tingling
healing wasn't the first thing that came to mind - wringing the neck of the doc
was tho!!

Wendy

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
In article <19980927094817...@ng15.aol.com>,
Kse63 <ks...@aol.com> wrote:

>>Oooh, send some to *me*! Kse isn't the only one around
>>this newsgroup with a broken bone in her foot, and frankly,
>>Scarlett, the ibuprofen just ain't gettin' it!
>
>The ibuprophen does more for me than this stupid naprosyn...

I thought ibuprophen was a pain killer, whereas naprosyn is what
my father is given for his arthritis and isn't a pain killer.

>>BTW, I don't have a cast either, because a cast wouldn't
>>really have helped much considering where the break is.
>>Instead, I have this really clunky-looking 'post-op shoe'
>>with Velcro straps that's supposed to keep my foot
>>immobilized, but which mainly makes my back hurt because of
>>the different thicknesses between the post-op shoe and my
>>regular shoes, making me walk 'lopsided,' as it were. Oh,
>>well, at least I can take it off to sleep or bathe, which I
>>couldn't do with a cast.
>>

>Mine was "make sure you have a good tennis shoe" DUH!!'

I had a bunion removed last autumn and had one of those surgical
slippers for weeks. They did it as day surgery, or rather night
surgery - in for 5 pm out by 9.30 pm. It was bizarre sitting on
the operating table reading a book with the whirring of blades
in the background. I do a lot of aerobics and dance and they
said they'd put a heavy duty pin in to hold my big toe straight,
but when it came down to it there wasn't one in stock. I had
to go back in a few months later as the pin worked its way out
through the fleshy bit on the underside of my foot. Now that
was painful.

Wendy

Karin Dietterich

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98
In article <6utt3b$lr8$1...@linux.warren.demon.co.uk>,

Wendy <we...@warren.demon.co.uk> wrote:
>In article <19980927094817...@ng15.aol.com>,
>Kse63 <ks...@aol.com> wrote:

>>>Oooh, send some to *me*! Kse isn't the only one around
>>>this newsgroup with a broken bone in her foot, and frankly,
>>>Scarlett, the ibuprofen just ain't gettin' it!

>>The ibuprophen does more for me than this stupid naprosyn...

>I thought ibuprophen was a pain killer, whereas naprosyn is what
>my father is given for his arthritis and isn't a pain killer.

Ibuprofen and Naprosyn are both anti-inflammatory medications. The
Naprosyn has some other uses as well. Both are on my list of "Medications
to be Avoided if Possible". I have a lousy track record with anti-inflammatory
meds. :-(

Karin
--
Karin Dietterich k...@teleport.com

I love deadlines. I especially like the whooshing
sound they make as they go flying by.

Kse63

Sep 30, 1998, 3:00:00 AM9/30/98

Wendy Wrote:

>>The ibuprophen does more for me than this stupid naprosyn...
>
>I thought ibuprophen was a pain killer, whereas naprosyn is what
>my father is given for his arthritis and isn't a pain killer.

Well, I was first given the naprosyn a few months ago when I tore ligaments in
my thumb. I was told to take it for two weeks PERIOD! It was supposed to reduce
swelling - I was getting numbness and tingling in other fingers from that
swelling. It worked for that, somewhat - tho she also told me that this thumb
would always be a problem, and I do still feel it if I try to use it. When I
initially injured this foot (2 mos ago) I was told to take either - ibuprophen
or naprosyn, THEN when I called 2 weeks later and said it was no better from
the ibuprophen, I got yelled at for not taking the naprosyn.... *sigh* - so
much for "it doesn't matter which one you take" SO I took the naprosyn for
about 10 more days and nothing....

I'm the proud recipient of a repeat performance of shin splints now also -
probably from adjusting the way I walk to make my foot hurt less....I'm sure
the back ache will be along soon as I compensate for the shins.......
GRRRrrrr....

>I had
>to go back in a few months later as the pin worked its way out
>through the fleshy bit on the underside of my foot. Now that
>was painful.

Yep - you win!! OUCH!