the wise misanthrope

Miki

Feb 24, 2010, 3:48:03 AM2/24/10
It takes a long time to learn that there's never any point in telling
another human being how much the world sucks.

If you do, that other person takes the stance that they are part of
the world, and it's like you're telling them that _they_ suck.

By a kind of knee-jerk reflex, they take on the posture of a generic
member of society trying to socialize you as a generic member of
society. They spout trite secondhand nonsense and that's all.

So the proper posture for someone who knows the truth about things is
to stay silent. But then the only words that get spoken are those
silly trite truisms--which is what happens anyway, because all that's
mass-marketed is a lot of silly crap about how wonderful life
supposedly is.

In this backwater of communication called Usenet, where only the
discarded refuse of humanity gathers, it is at least possible to be
honest, because no one reads what is posted here and consequently no
one cares about it.

zerosky

Feb 24, 2010, 5:22:18 AM2/24/10
"Miki" <phat.p...@mikikocic.com> wrote in message

The Cockeyed Optimist...Lyrics by Oscar Hammerstein

I have heard people rant and rave and bellow
That we're done and we might as well be dead~
But I'm only a cockeyed optimist,
And I can't get it into my head.

I hear the human race
Is falling on its face
And hasn't very far to go,
But ev'ry whippoorwill
Is selling me a bill
And telling me it just ain't so!

I could say life is just a bowl of jello
And appear more intelligent and smart,
But I'm stuck, like a dope,
With a thing called hope,
And I can't get it out of my heart!

Incidentidentally the 'other film is Camille

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0028683/

Miki

Feb 24, 2010, 5:39:43 AM2/24/10
On Feb 24, 5:22 am, "zerosky" <zero...@ntlworld.com> wrote:
> "Miki" <phat.p...@mikikocic.com> wrote in message
>
> > In this backwater of communication called Usenet, where only the
> > discarded refuse of humanity gathers, it is at least possible to be
> > honest, because no one reads what is posted here and consequently no
> > one cares about it.

I stand corrected. It isn't possible even here.

Miki

QN

Feb 24, 2010, 1:01:51 PM2/24/10
I enjoy unintended irony.

zerosky

Feb 24, 2010, 3:40:00 PM2/24/10
"Miki" <phat...@mikikocic.com> wrote in message

>Miki

Why is it not possible to be honest here?

gROWLER

Feb 24, 2010, 7:37:12 PM2/24/10

"Miki" <phat...@mikikocic.com> wrote in message

it's a good place to rant. as you say, no-one cares