Question about Heat

LPlung

Jun 3, 2003, 11:56:31 PM6/3/03

Looking for some advice about being in the heat and keeping my flange from
melting. We are leaving next week for Disney World with the kids. I have had
my ileostomy for 15 years and still struggle with the summer thing.
I have found when it is hot and we are out and about for the whole day in the
heat my flange melts. I was wondering who out there can give me some help. I
have picked up so many great ideas from this group. I was also wondering if
anybody had any tips on feeling comfortable while wearing a bathing suit and
swimming. Especially those water parks.

Even though I am old hat at this ostomy thing, I am always open to new ideas. .

Please feel free to e-mail me as well as post to the group.

Thanks,
Lori
CD class of 1980

Harry

Jun 4, 2003, 10:22:44 AM6/4/03
I lived in the Tampa area when I had my Ileo operation and was introduced to
the Eakin Seals which I use all of the time and found that they held up under
the Florida heat. I lived there year round so was exposed to the summer and had
no problems when I used the Eakin Seals.

Hollywamu

Jun 4, 2003, 2:13:05 PM6/4/03
Do Eakins seals work with Hollister products or is this a different line? I'm
new to this and now that it has gotten warmer, the Hollister seals are only
lasting about two days. Is this normal? thanks

Ron Gould

Jun 4, 2003, 3:36:39 PM6/4/03
My sister is also an Ileo.

When she lived in Arizona, she used to drape a washcloth on her underwear,
hanging in front of her pouch.

She always said it would keep the blazing heat of the sun off her flange,
especially when the Arizona sun would be mercilessly coming in thru the car
windshield.

Best---
Ron

We don't get that much blazing sun here in Chicago. We build up flange heat
while running away from muggers <grin>

I gotta "good" sense of "Hoooomer"

LPlung <lpl...@aol.com> wrote in message

---

Lauren-n-n-n-n

Jun 4, 2003, 9:06:59 PM6/4/03
>Do Eakins seals work with Hollister products or is this a different line?

i use eakin seals with hollister new image 2 pieces and i don't have any
problems. you can use eakin seals with anything, even tho they're distrubuted
by convatec.

Lauren!
(take out the "nojunk" to reply)
beer drinking, sax playing, baseball junkie on a rampage ... beware!

Actually34

Jun 8, 2003, 12:20:30 PM6/8/03
I, too, often vacation in Florida in the summer.

It will help to wear light colored clothing -- pants, shorts, skirts, etc. They
don't absorb nearly as much heat from sunlight.

When I go swimming, or when I am in a situation where I want to make doubly
certain I don't have problems with a leak, I wear a Nu-Hope elastic belt.

It is a belt designed for ostomates with hernias, but can be very useful even
for people without hernias.The belt is wider than a wafer, with a hole in it
that is sized to fit the flange on the wafer. It presses the wafer firmly
against the abdomen, ensuring a tight seal.

Although I don't have a hernia, I use the belt when swimming to ensure I don't
get a leak. Nu-Hope sells both cotton and quick drying mesh version of the
belt.

I also heard of one person who paints his wafer with Skin Bond and successfully
went in hot tubs.

Enjoy Disney World. Be sure to drink plenty of liquids so you don't get
dehydrated.

PcolaPhil

Jun 12, 2003, 10:38:45 PM6/12/03
Been off the computer for over a week (away) and just saw this. I hope
that I can give some folks worried about the heat some assurance.
First, I have lived all over Florida in the last 32 years ( Orlando - ->
Port Charlotte (SW coast) - - > Bradenton - - > Tallahassee - - > and
now Pensacola. In this 32 years I have NEVER acclimatized to the heat
and if I do anything outdoors even remotely strenuous, I perspire like a
racehorse. I have used both Convatec and now am using Hollister, and I
routinely get from 7 to 9 days wear out of a wafer with very few
mishaps. Maybe I'm just lucky, but my skin gets somewhat oily when I
perspire, and I still have very few problems with my appliance. I wish
I could export some of this to those who experience difficulty keeping
ostomy gear in place in the heat, but as we all know, our individual
bodies dictate what happens. Eakin seals are a good solution though
even these give some folks problems when they breakdown and gum up the
pouches, or if the problem is severe enough, think of using a medical
adhesive spray that Hollister sells. I think that stuff works under
water.

--

PcolaPhil

"Even if you are on the right track you will get run over if you just
sit there,"

---Will Rogers

"Actually34" <actua...@aol.com> wrote in message

DARKCITY

Jun 16, 2003, 1:23:20 PM6/16/03
I must not be doing this right with the Eakin Seal. I even had an ET nurse
put one on me last time she came.

My problem is that the seal adds some height underneath the flange and
creats a small "tent" effect, such that the flange doesn't sit completely
flush on my skin (just after the outer edge of the Eakin). Usually within
a day, my flange lifts from the outside right upto the Eakin. I should
mention that I can not use tape, so I use the New Image Series also.

My next idea is to try the Eakin again, however this time I am going to cut
the thing down to less than half its size ( giving the flange a greater
surface to stick to ).

"Lauren-n-n-n-n" <sax...@aol.comnojunk> wrote in message

Lauren-n-n-n-n

Jun 17, 2003, 7:20:37 PM6/17/03
i use half a small eakin seal. i roll it in a little snake, then flatten it
out a little around the hole of my appliance. after i put the bag on, i lay
down and hold my hand over my stoma for a few minutes to warm up the eakin seal
and have it melt down nicely.

give that a try.

Rob Hooper

Jun 19, 2003, 12:46:58 PM6/19/03
If you use a belt that attaches to the flange or one of the hernia
wide belts the flange will not lift.

Rob

--
Man is nothing else but what he makes of himself. -- Jean-Paul Sartre
We become what we think about. -- Spencer Johnson

Actually34

Jun 25, 2003, 9:03:57 AM6/25/03
Yes, try using just half of a small Eakin Seal instead of the whole seal.

I put the seal on in a flattened ring around my stoma, pretty snug to the
stoma. Then I put the wafer on (you might want to try a wafer with
convexivity). I heat everything with a hairblower to warm it up. When I put the
wafer on, I press it very snugly to my abdoment and hold it firmly for about 60
seconds. I also wear a NuHope elastic belt which has a hole in it big enough to
fit around the flange of my appliance, which presses everything snugly to my
abdomen for about about 30 minutes after changing.

I have no problems, and I, too, don't use tape.

Harry

Jun 25, 2003, 1:25:32 PM6/25/03
That is exactly what I do and have been doing it this way for about a year.