An interesting trip...

rob

May 17, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/17/99
22 hour drive. Was fun the entire time. Not sure why it took us 27 hrs to
get back? Phoenix was spectacular. I hadnt felt that good since the day
this MS started. The weather was simply spectacular. Legs felt great. We
bought a bike rack and took them with us. I havent ridden that much in
years. Not a single cloud in the sky the entire time we were there... none
that I noticed anyway. If I werent so in love with our "green" city I would
seriously consider moving to the "brown" one. 8*)

Spent a bunch of time in my buddies pool, having dinners, even meeting a few
net pals. Not nearly as many as we would have liked to though. (It was
rather hectic, if you can imagine)

I met up with a friend who had a kidney transplant recently. Very
interesting... they dont take the old ones out unless they are diseased and
dying. So his new kidneys are in the front of his abdomen. Now he has
four. AND he can now pee!!!! He hasnt been able to do that in seven years.
He has needed a transplant for nine.

I felt kind of odd "not" being nervous. Not sure why I wasnt, maybe I was
just so tired that I just wanted it over with. To make things brief and to
the point, Barrows Neurological Institute is the best in the world, BUT they
are associated with St Josephs Hospital... which is the worst on planet
earth. The greatest surgeon I can find, and I have to recover in the worst
hospital that can be found. Pathetic.

I had to chew the resident brain surgeons ass, then the hospitals pharmacist
comes to my room and I have to chew his ass as well... All while being on
6mg of morphine, two percocets, 75mg of demerol, and 45 49mg of decedron.
My mind was so F&%$&@! up I am suprised they just didnt gag me.

All over getting a single pulse dose of solu-medrol. (I got my way, BTW)
The reason I demanded it was because I had been very concentious doing
everything I could to keep my immune system at a low, anemic,
non-hypersensitive state. (more on that later)

The surgeon revealed to me that there was some bleeding within my brain
during the procedure. But by the time that I had regained enough brains to
request the solu-medrol he was long gone and I had to deal with his
resident. AAARRRRRGGHHHHH!!!!! Then the head Pharmacist.
AAAAAARRRGGGHHH!!!! Somehow in the state I was in I managed to head them to
Med-line, of all things, with a list of key search words... And Fuc&%n "A" I
was "right on" and they aquised.

One battle down, and months of war left...

Getting tired but I I'll say this before I go... It was a success. 100%!
They loved retelling the story of the pressure in my head being so high that
it literally blew apart one of their instruments meant for measuring it.

I have the video tape as well, but its only of the endoscopes view. Very
interesting. Stress filled as well watching the bleeding and his skilled
but nervous success at stopping it. I can probably retell this better later
on.

So, now, I have a cool 1 1/4" scar right where my hair line is. They used
clamps to hold the incision apart and then drilled a small hole that they
then stuffed their endoscope down into my brain through.

I havent had a single headache since the minute I was released from the ICU.
The cut hurts like a bitch. (sorry for the cusswords BTW) But my head
Never hurt, not even for a second. Bending over makes the cut hurt. But
not my brain. No more thumping drum sounds in my ears either.

They did a flow study and my CSF now flows as it should. All is well, life
is good. Now if I can just find a way to cure this darn MS.

St Josephs sucks. They were a nightmare. I, as you know, am no slouch and
am eager to express my opinion, so I discharged myself after only one day.
In on monday... out on tuesday. The cut hurt though. Without question the
most painful thing bout the whole thing was getting the stitches out. (not
counting the recovery room) YOUCH!!! And I had never even anticipated
being paranoid about that. LOL

My MS is worse now... but the benefit/risk ratio is certainly worth it. No
more headaches, no more spots, no more thumping ear sounds, hope the
cognition improves as they say it should. All is looking up. 8^)

All in all It was an oddly fun experience, although not something I plan on
doing again anytime soon.

Rob

Thanks for the e-mails. Getting a new server tomorrow so it may take me a
bit to respond.

James Bridges

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
In article <7hs258$1...@nnrp3.farm.idt.net>, "rob" <22rdu...@idt.net> wrote:

| 22 hour drive. Was fun the entire time. Not sure why it took us 27 hrs to
| get back? Phoenix was spectacular. I hadnt felt that good since the day
| this MS started. The weather was simply spectacular.

{snip}

Hi rob,

Glad the trip was a success! Take a minute or two to recover!

--
Take care

James (#11)

~DCP~Star~

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
Rob,

Glad your surgery was a success. Sounds like a fun trip.

~Diane~

rob wrote in message

> 22 hour drive. Was fun the entire time. Not sure why it took us 27 hrs
> get back? Phoenix was spectacular. I hadnt felt that good since the day

Joanne Kielbasa

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
Hi Rob,

Glad your back, you were missed. Happy to hear surgery was a success and
your trip was fun!

Take Care,
Joanne

G T

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
Yo Dude, good to hear everything went well. Messing around in there
with your gray matter certainly didn't affect your personality. :-) It
is most refreshing to have you back.

Sorry to hear the MS has taken a dip.

Oddly enough, after 2 years of sliding downhill I am experiencing a
minor remission. Aches and pains and spasms are just as bad but the
fatigue has let up for the first time in I don't know when. I have
actually been back on a horse in much too long a time, done yard work
and went fishing.

Whoo Haa!

I haven't had my fillings removed, been stung by a bee or changed my
meat and potatoes diet. Still using Aspartame, haven't used any
anti-viral drugs and didn't go to Mexico. Damned if I can figure this
feel good feeling out. Maybe I'm in love. If so, I hope my wife of 37
years doesn't find out.

Glad your back and your trip was safe.

Your friend and mine, Tick

Lin&Jim

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
Rob:

Hey! Was wonderin how it was goin! Glad to hear you're home & that the
surgery was a success!

Get some rest & heal up!

:-)

Lin

~~ Not a complete idiot - some parts missing ~~
My header never changes.....look carefully & don't be fooled by
forgeries!

Kip King

May 18, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/18/99
rob,
Glad to hear the operation was a success. Good luck with the recovery.
Best wishes, Kip King

LisalisaA

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
leave it to you to bury the lede 1/3 into the story...glad to hear your
vacation went well...
and that THE SURGEY WAS A SUCCESS...

happy for you
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
Be Well,
Lisa
anti-spam in effect. remove 123 from my address.
"Please explain to me the scientific nature of 'The Whammy'" - Scully

"The dope's that there's still hope." - Bruce Springsteen
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@

KaMatthews

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
In article <16768-37...@newsd-132.iap.bryant.webtv.net>, OLT...@webtv.net
(G T) writes:

>Whoo Haa!
>
>I haven't had my fillings removed, been stung by a bee or changed my
>meat and potatoes diet. Still using Aspartame, haven't used any
>anti-viral drugs and didn't go to Mexico. Damned if I can figure this
>feel good feeling out. Maybe I'm in love. If so, I hope my wife of 37
>years doesn't find out.

Maybe it's your karma! :=}
Kathi

Joann Howard

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
Tick good to hear you are feeling some better. And ridem cowboy. Andy in the
Big Easy

G T wrote:

> Yo Dude, good to hear everything went well. Messing around in there
> with your gray matter certainly didn't affect your personality. :-) It
> is most refreshing to have you back.
>
> Sorry to hear the MS has taken a dip.
>
> Oddly enough, after 2 years of sliding downhill I am experiencing a
> minor remission. Aches and pains and spasms are just as bad but the
> fatigue has let up for the first time in I don't know when. I have
> actually been back on a horse in much too long a time, done yard work
> and went fishing.
>

> Whoo Haa!
>
> I haven't had my fillings removed, been stung by a bee or changed my
> meat and potatoes diet. Still using Aspartame, haven't used any
> anti-viral drugs and didn't go to Mexico. Damned if I can figure this
> feel good feeling out. Maybe I'm in love. If so, I hope my wife of 37
> years doesn't find out.

Ron & Dixie

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
Rob,

I am so happy to hear that the surgery was successful. And the rest of the trip
was just fringe benefits!

Cheers,
Dixie

Lilian Piattini

May 19, 1999, 3:00:00 AM5/19/99
Hi Rob, welcome back!!!

Great that everything went well! You must be
very relieved the both of you. Sorry that you
had to bear the St. Josephs Hospital -or did
they have to bear with you too? ;^) - but what
counts is having the best surgeon!
Good that you enjoyed your trip so much and
that you had the time to see some old buddies.
I see that you are still the same Rob, how
nice to see you ranting about the resident
surgeons. I think we really missed your posts.

I'm sorry that your MS is givin' you a hard
time. But how good to hear that you don't have
headaches and ear sounds and so on. Just rest
a bit, take it calm.

I'm a bit tired too, so this is all for the
moment.

Ciao, take care

Lili