kinda OT - or not - feeling a bit rejected...

Jette

Aug 16, 2007, 12:37:53 PM8/16/07
Today I should have been giving blood at the mobile donation unit at
work - but for the second time this year, my red cell count was too
low. In fact, despite following all the dietary advice given last
time, it was lower than last time, and much lower than it used to be.

I'm tempted to blame "my age" - periods coming more frequently,
lasting longer and heavier. Even though I'm between periods at the
moment, I'm TIRED a lot. (funny how I didn't have this problem when I
was a regular smoker - since giving up my red cell count has been
dropping every time it's measured!!)

B*gger green veg and red meat, because that's not working - I'm going
to add an iron suppliment.

I'm 15 donations away from my Gold award (50 donations). At three
donations a year (the recommended max) that's five years - but if I
keep getting rejected it's going to take a lot longer. My friend in
London has just received her Diamond award (75 donations).

--
Jette Goldie
je...@blueyonder.co.uk

Keera Ann Fox

Aug 16, 2007, 1:30:19 PM8/16/07
Jette <boss...@scotlandmail.com> wrote:

> Today I should have been giving blood at the mobile donation unit at
> work - but for the second time this year, my red cell count was too
> low. In fact, despite following all the dietary advice given last
> time, it was lower than last time, and much lower than it used to be.

I've tried giving blood a couple of times, but it always left me weak. I
later discovered that normal values for me are on the low end.

> I'm tempted to blame "my age" - periods coming more frequently,
> lasting longer and heavier. Even though I'm between periods at the
> moment, I'm TIRED a lot. (funny how I didn't have this problem when I
> was a regular smoker - since giving up my red cell count has been
> dropping every time it's measured!!)

Ooh, not good.

> B*gger green veg and red meat, because that's not working - I'm going
> to add an iron suppliment.

I've done that and noticed a difference right away. I self-medicate, as
it were, because the doctor said my values were fine, if low. But I
started taking iron and it does make me feel better.

> I'm 15 donations away from my Gold award (50 donations). At three
> donations a year (the recommended max) that's five years - but if I
> keep getting rejected it's going to take a lot longer.

Not to mention the health ramifications. So what's the award like?

> My friend in London has just received her Diamond award (75 donations).

Does she give 4 times a year?

--
Keera in Norway * Think big and then ask for more.
http://home.online.no/~kafox/

Jette

Aug 16, 2007, 1:38:12 PM8/16/07
Keera Ann Fox wrote:
> Jette <boss...@scotlandmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Today I should have been giving blood at the mobile donation unit at
>> work - but for the second time this year, my red cell count was too
>> low. In fact, despite following all the dietary advice given last
>> time, it was lower than last time, and much lower than it used to be.
>
> I've tried giving blood a couple of times, but it always left me weak. I
> later discovered that normal values for me are on the low end.

I used to be neither up nor down after a donation. never needed to
rest, never felt faint.

>> I'm tempted to blame "my age" - periods coming more frequently,
>> lasting longer and heavier. Even though I'm between periods at the
>> moment, I'm TIRED a lot. (funny how I didn't have this problem when I
>> was a regular smoker - since giving up my red cell count has been
>> dropping every time it's measured!!)
>
> Ooh, not good.

Combine this with the Blood Donors organisation upping the required
levels to match the rest of the EU. Last year I was over the required
levels, earlier this year I was over the /old/ required levels but
below the new ones, this time I was below the old levels as well as
the new - still not *technically* anemic but a good bit lower than I
used to be.

>> B*gger green veg and red meat, because that's not working - I'm going
>> to add an iron suppliment.
>
> I've done that and noticed a difference right away. I self-medicate, as
> it were, because the doctor said my values were fine, if low. But I
> started taking iron and it does make me feel better.
>
>> I'm 15 donations away from my Gold award (50 donations). At three
>> donations a year (the recommended max) that's five years - but if I
>> keep getting rejected it's going to take a lot longer.
>
> Not to mention the health ramifications. So what's the award like?

Bronze (10) Silver (25) and Gold (50) are pins with the Blood Donor
Society logo. Diamond is a nice crystal glass paperweight and scroll
for your wall.

>> My friend in London has just received her Diamond award (75 donations).
>
> Does she give 4 times a year?

She's older than me and has been doing it all her adult life. Four
times a year would be a bit tricky - there's a minimum number of weeks
between donations and they'll turn you away if you try to give sooner
than that - unless you're doing one of the "platelet only" or similar
schemes.

Keera Ann Fox

Aug 16, 2007, 2:19:58 PM8/16/07
Jette <boss...@scotlandmail.com> wrote:

> Keera Ann Fox wrote:
> > Jette <boss...@scotlandmail.com> wrote:
> >
> >> Today I should have been giving blood at the mobile donation unit at
> >> work - but for the second time this year, my red cell count was too
> >> low. In fact, despite following all the dietary advice given last
> >> time, it was lower than last time, and much lower than it used to be.
> >
> > I've tried giving blood a couple of times, but it always left me weak. I
> > later discovered that normal values for me are on the low end.
>
> I used to be neither up nor down after a donation. never needed to
> rest, never felt faint.

Whereas I did.

> >> I'm tempted to blame "my age" - periods coming more frequently,
> >> lasting longer and heavier. Even though I'm between periods at the
> >> moment, I'm TIRED a lot. (funny how I didn't have this problem when I
> >> was a regular smoker - since giving up my red cell count has been
> >> dropping every time it's measured!!)
> >
> > Ooh, not good.
>
> Combine this with the Blood Donors organisation upping the required
> levels to match the rest of the EU. Last year I was over the required
> levels, earlier this year I was over the /old/ required levels but
> below the new ones, this time I was below the old levels as well as
> the new - still not *technically* anemic but a good bit lower than I
> used to be.

Musing out loud here: Smoking reduces oxygen in the blood so number of
red blood cells would increase to compensate for that. Or just blame
meno. :-)

> >> B*gger green veg and red meat, because that's not working - I'm going
> >> to add an iron suppliment.
> >
> > I've done that and noticed a difference right away. I self-medicate, as
> > it were, because the doctor said my values were fine, if low. But I
> > started taking iron and it does make me feel better.
> >
> >> I'm 15 donations away from my Gold award (50 donations). At three
> >> donations a year (the recommended max) that's five years - but if I
> >> keep getting rejected it's going to take a lot longer.
> >
> > Not to mention the health ramifications. So what's the award like?
>
> Bronze (10) Silver (25) and Gold (50) are pins with the Blood Donor
> Society logo.

The double hearts? That's pretty.

> Diamond is a nice crystal glass paperweight and scroll
> for your wall.

Sounds nice. They have a shortage of blood donors in Norway, so I did
try to get into it for humanitarian reasons, but am not physically cut
out for it.

> >> My friend in London has just received her Diamond award (75 donations).
> >
> > Does she give 4 times a year?
>
> She's older than me and has been doing it all her adult life. Four
> times a year would be a bit tricky - there's a minimum number of weeks
> between donations and they'll turn you away if you try to give sooner
> than that - unless you're doing one of the "platelet only" or similar
> schemes.

One of my co-workers goes once every 3 months, I believe. 3 months is
how long it takes to replace the pint of blood, he said.

Chakolate

Aug 16, 2007, 5:06:06 PM8/16/07
Jette <boss...@scotlandmail.com> wrote in news:8Y%wi.8161$cw7.5481
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

> She's older than me and has been doing it all her adult life. Four
> times a year would be a bit tricky - there's a minimum number of weeks
> between donations and they'll turn you away if you try to give sooner
> than that - unless you're doing one of the "platelet only" or similar
> schemes.

Here it's every two months or 5 times per year. I don't quite know why
the discrepancy.

Chak

--
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not
unreasonable that we grapple with problems, but there are tens of

Message has been deleted

nickelshrink

Aug 16, 2007, 5:47:47 PM8/16/07
Jette wrote:
> Today I should have been giving blood at the mobile donation unit at
> work - but for the second time this year, my red cell count was too
> low. In fact, despite following all the dietary advice given last time,
> it was lower than last time, and much lower than it used to be.
>
> I'm tempted to blame "my age" - periods coming more frequently, lasting
> longer and heavier. Even though I'm between periods at the moment, I'm
> TIRED a lot. (funny how I didn't have this problem when I was a regular
> smoker - since giving up my red cell count has been dropping every time
> it's measured!!)
>
> B*gger green veg and red meat, because that's not working - I'm going to
> add an iron suppliment.
>
> I'm 15 donations away from my Gold award (50 donations). At three
> donations a year (the recommended max) that's five years - but if I keep
> getting rejected it's going to take a lot longer. My friend in London
> has just received her Diamond award (75 donations).

Wow and congrats on it even being a possibility to win an award!
I've donated maybe a dozen times (?) and been turned down
several times for low iron. And once they had so many donors that
they were turning away people with my boring blood type. 8~)

For years (boy were *those* the good ol' days!) i didn't weigh enough
to donate. When i finally did, i donated several times, then the low
hemoglobin started appearing. They kept apologizing to me for not
taking my blood, till it got downright embarrassing. I guess some
people get very hurt or offended. Now i start prepping them any time
i try to donate ("My iron might be too low - it often is. Really, i'm
prepared.") so that they know i've encountered it before.

--
pax,
ruth

Save trees AND money! Buy used books!
http://stores.ebay.com/Noir-and-More-Books-and-Trains

Chakolate

Aug 16, 2007, 5:52:56 PM8/16/07
DanaŠ <Anee...@ownmail.com> wrote in

> Can diabetics give blood?

Yes, but you should probably call in advance and make sure there's
somebody there who knows that.

Chakolate

Aug 16, 2007, 5:55:08 PM8/16/07
nickelshrink <nickel...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:5ijv0iF3pq551U1
@mid.individual.net:

> For years (boy were *those* the good ol' days!) i didn't weigh enough
> to donate. When i finally did, i donated several times, then the low
> hemoglobin started appearing. They kept apologizing to me for not
> taking my blood, till it got downright embarrassing. I guess some
> people get very hurt or offended.

Heh - you know that test they do (used to do?) where they take a pipette
of your blood and drop a drop into blue fluid? So if it sinks you can
donate, and if it doesn't they have to take a further sample?

I was so anemic the drop not only didn't sink, it actually *popped* up to
the surface. The guy was so startled he almost fell of his chair.

I didn't donate that day.

jacquie

Aug 16, 2007, 10:59:23 PM8/16/07
The last time I went to donate I started feeling faint..and needles don't
scare me and I have never fainted in my life...this happened when the bag
was half full..they told me it would be best if I didn't donate anymore. My
husband has donated for over 20 years...this year he was diagnosed with
Testicular cancer and they told him he couldn't give blood until he goes the
five years without cancer.
"Jette" <boss...@scotlandmail.com> wrote in message

Jette

Aug 17, 2007, 10:56:15 AM8/17/07
DanaŠ wrote:

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 16:37:53 GMT, Jette <boss...@scotlandmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I'm 15 donations away from my Gold award (50 donations). At three
>> donations a year (the recommended max) that's five years - but if I
>> keep getting rejected it's going to take a lot longer. My friend in
>> London has just received her Diamond award (75 donations).
>
> Good for you! My dad was a letter carrier and he donated all the
> time. He was a several gallons donor...I should look up how much. He
> received a pin for them. And I on the other hand have "never" given
> blood. But, I mean to do it. I am a universal donor ....AB+...so they
> could use my blood. Can diabetics give blood?

Not in the UK. There's also weight restrictions (as in, if you're too
skinny you're out) and age restrictions.

And if you've been to the USA recently you have to wait until you're
cleared in case of West Nile Virus.

Jette

Aug 17, 2007, 10:58:28 AM8/17/07
Chakolate wrote:
> nickelshrink <nickel...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:5ijv0iF3pq551U1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> For years (boy were *those* the good ol' days!) i didn't weigh enough
>> to donate. When i finally did, i donated several times, then the low
>> hemoglobin started appearing. They kept apologizing to me for not
>> taking my blood, till it got downright embarrassing. I guess some
>> people get very hurt or offended.
>
> Heh - you know that test they do (used to do?) where they take a pipette
> of your blood and drop a drop into blue fluid? So if it sinks you can
> donate, and if it doesn't they have to take a further sample?
>
> I was so anemic the drop not only didn't sink, it actually *popped* up to
> the surface. The guy was so startled he almost fell of his chair.
>
> I didn't donate that day.

That was me yesterday - but the nurse who checked my further sample
said that 11.5 is "perfectly respectable, just too low to donate".

I suppose it might be "perfectly respectable" if that's what you've
always been, but considering I used to be a few points higher, it
could explain the tiredness.

Chakolate

Aug 17, 2007, 6:25:00 PM8/17/07
Jette <boss...@scotlandmail.com> wrote in news:oIixi.8545$cw7.8208
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

> That was me yesterday - but the nurse who checked my further sample
> said that 11.5 is "perfectly respectable, just too low to donate".

11.5 isn't too bad, but I think 12 is the min for donation. Mine was
8.6.

> I suppose it might be "perfectly respectable" if that's what you've
> always been, but considering I used to be a few points higher, it
> could explain the tiredness.

Definitely.

Jette

Aug 17, 2007, 6:29:45 PM8/17/07
Chakolate wrote:
> Jette <boss...@scotlandmail.com> wrote in news:oIixi.8545$cw7.8208
> @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:
>
>> That was me yesterday - but the nurse who checked my further sample
>> said that 11.5 is "perfectly respectable, just too low to donate".
>
> 11.5 isn't too bad, but I think 12 is the min for donation. Mine was
> 8.6.

They raised it recently in the UK - used to be 12, now it's 12.5.

>> I suppose it might be "perfectly respectable" if that's what you've
>> always been, but considering I used to be a few points higher, it
>> could explain the tiredness.
>
> Definitely.

and that's _with_ me eating broccoli, raisins, dried apricots,
pomegranite, etc.

Iron suppliment, soon as I get to a pharmacist.

Chakolate

Aug 17, 2007, 7:38:34 PM8/17/07
Jette <boss...@scotlandmail.com> wrote in news:tjpxi.8750$cw7.5664
@text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:

> and that's _with_ me eating broccoli, raisins, dried apricots,
> pomegranite, etc.

Are you a vegetarian? I didn't know that.

Jette

Aug 18, 2007, 5:51:23 AM8/18/07
Chakolate wrote:
> Jette <boss...@scotlandmail.com> wrote in news:tjpxi.8750$cw7.5664
> @text.news.blueyonder.co.uk:
>
>> and that's _with_ me eating broccoli, raisins, dried apricots,
>> pomegranite, etc.
>>

> Are you a vegetarian? I didn't know that.

No, but we don't tend to eat a lot of red meat, for various reasons.
In the summer these are partly religious.