Small ovarian cyst questions--should I be concerned??

Jean S. Barto

Aug 16, 2007, 7:50:02 PM8/16/07
Hi folks--

I had my second appointment with my new Gyn doc, for a pelvic ultrasound that I requested he do at my first appointment.  I think my last detailed pelvic ultrasound was back in 2001, everything was OK then.  Since then, I’m six years older, and have started getting quite troublesome urge incontinence, besides having some minor perimenopausal symptoms.  I wanted the ultrasound and a CA-125 blood test to rule out ovarian cancer.  The blood test was fine, the values being way below the upper value for a “high negative” finding.

The pelvic ultrasound also was “OK”, according to my doc.  However, the ultrasound technologist found a 41 mm cyst on one of my ovaries, and wrote that up on her report.  However, the doctor says that the cyst “doesn’t have any suspicious characteristics,” and seemed that a finding like this is fairly usual.  Also, the gyn doc/ultrasound technologist interpreted my ultrasound themselves-- it was not going to be read afterwards by a radiologist.

Although I’m moderately relieved that nothing clearly disturbing was found, I also don’t want to ignore something now (the ovarian cyst) that could prove to be something much worse later.  I don’t have any of the “typical” ovarian cancer symptoms such as pain or weight loss, but I have read that some cases can present with urinary incontinence as a symptom.  Consequently, I’m not totally at ease with what was found on the ultrasound.  Otherwise, this new gyn doc is OK, although not my first choice for provider (my “first choice” Gyn practice does not accept “self-pay” patients, even though I assured them that I was not a hardship/welfare case).

I didn’t think of all these other questions until after I left the gyn doc’s office, and have considered calling him back, but haven’t made time to do so, and figured that asking the question here first wouldn’t hurt.

So, would a second opinion be advisable?  Should the cyst be biopsied?  I’m paying out of pocket for this myself, but I would get a second opinion on this if there is some conflicting data out there on this type of finding (small benign appearing cysts subsequently turning out to be cancerous later).

Thanks.  You can reply to me here, or to my email address.

Jean in VA

jacquie

Aug 16, 2007, 10:55:35 PM8/16/07
Small ovarian cyst questions--should I be concerned??I have had the same
thing this last couple of years. Everybody..even the radiologist said there
were no characteristics showing cancer. The Base PC's(We are AF retired)
have sent me to three GYN's and they all said it didn't look like cancer.
They were concerned because I am far into menopause. The last GYN I saw said
one of the signs of cancer is the shape of the ovary...it looks like a wild
mushroom. I also had a Cat Scan and he said that the middle of the ovary
looked good too. He suggested a yearly Ultra sound to check for changes.
It wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion...I think it will be difficult to
get a Biopsy unless the Dr really thinks you need one. Maybe you can talk
them into a Cat Scan.. It is scary because you always hear by the time they
find Ovarian Cancer it is to late...but allot of these women don't get the
Ultra sound until they start showing symptoms. I was lucky to get the US
because my belly is to fat for them to feel the ovaries.
Jacquie

"Jean S. Barto" <jsba...@cox.net> wrote in message

Chakolate

Aug 17, 2007, 12:30:34 AM8/17/07
"Jean S. Barto" <jsba...@cox.net> wrote in

> Although Iûm moderately relieved that nothing clearly disturbing was
> found, I also donût want to ignore something now (the ovarian cyst)
> that could prove to be something much worse later. I donût have any
> of the ütypicalý ovarian cancer symptoms such as pain or weight loss,

> but I have read that some cases can present with urinary incontinence

> as a symptom. Consequently, Iûm not totally at ease with what was
> found on the ultrasound.

Yabbut... urinary incontinence is so very common at this stage of life,
I don't think you should count it. And since the whatever isn't causing
your ovary to act up (<--- how I do love them there tecknickal terms!) I
don't think you ought to be worried.

> Otherwise, this new gyn doc is OK, although

> not my first choice for provider (my üfirst choiceý Gyn practice does
> not accept üself-payý patients, even though I assured them that I was
> not a hardship/welfare case).

They do that because if you should at some point need very intensive care
that you can't pay for, you're still his responsibility. In some cases,
'selfpay' is a door-opener for 'can't pay'.

> I didnût think of all these other questions until after I left the gyn
> docûs office, and have considered calling him back, but havenût made

> time to do so, and figured that asking the question here first

> wouldnût hurt.

You might also call his office and ask for his email address. It might
be easier to get answers that way.

Chak

--
We are at the very beginning of time for the human race. It is not
unreasonable that we grapple with problems, but there are tens of

HotFlashesColdTears

Aug 17, 2007, 11:09:31 AM8/17/07
"Jean S. Barto" wrote:
[...]

radiologist. <snip>

My reply:
I've had three cysts show up on my ovaries in ultrasound over my life. All
of them went away, and like yours, the doctor said they didn't look like
ones to worry about. So many women I know have said the same thing. I think
it's very common. Did the doctor say come back in a certain time and have
the ultrasound repeated? That should probably be done...but I don't see it
being urgent. The next time it's checked, if it's nothing--which I'd bet
anything it is--it should be gone.

I understand your anxiety. I felt anxious about having something turn up on
my ovary, even though my doc was unconcerned. But it's so commonplace, I
really think you can relax.

Kimmy

Cathy F.

Aug 19, 2007, 6:48:18 PM8/19/07
Small ovarian cyst questions--should I be concerned??
"Jean S. Barto" <jsba...@cox.net> wrote in message
Hi folks--

Jean in VA
````````````````````

I've had ovarian cysts a couple of times (that I know of - could've been
other ones, in-between yearly check-ups, for ex.) in the past - they
disappeared on their own. If the doctor says it has no suspicious
characteristics, then IMO I wouldn't worry about it.

Cathy

nickelshrink

Aug 19, 2007, 9:19:33 PM8/19/07
Jean S. Barto wrote:
> Hi folks--
>
> I had my second appointment with my new Gyn doc, for a pelvic ultrasound
> that I requested he do at my first appointment. I think my last detailed
> pelvic ultrasound was back in 2001, everything was OK then. Since then, Iąm

> six years older, and have started getting quite troublesome urge
> incontinence, besides having some minor perimenopausal symptoms. I wanted
> the ultrasound and a CA-125 blood test to rule out ovarian cancer. The
> blood test was fine, the values being way below the upper value for a łhigh
> negative˛ finding.
>
> The pelvic ultrasound also was łOK˛, according to my doc. However, the

> ultrasound technologist found a 41 mm cyst on one of my ovaries, and wrote
> that up on her report. However, the doctor says that the cyst łdoesnąt have

> any suspicious characteristics,˛ and seemed that a finding like this is
> fairly usual. Also, the gyn doc/ultrasound technologist interpreted my
> ultrasound themselves-- it was not going to be read afterwards by a
> radiologist.
>
> Although Iąm moderately relieved that nothing clearly disturbing was found,
> I also donąt want to ignore something now (the ovarian cyst) that could
> prove to be something much worse later. I donąt have any of the łtypical˛

> ovarian cancer symptoms such as pain or weight loss, but I have read that
> some cases can present with urinary incontinence as a symptom.
> Consequently, Iąm not totally at ease with what was found on the ultrasound.

> Otherwise, this new gyn doc is OK, although not my first choice for provider
> (my łfirst choice˛ Gyn practice does not accept łself-pay˛ patients, even

> though I assured them that I was not a hardship/welfare case).
>
> I didnąt think of all these other questions until after I left the gyn docąs
> office, and have considered calling him back, but havenąt made time to do
> so, and figured that asking the question here first wouldnąt hurt.
>
> So, would a second opinion be advisable? Should the cyst be biopsied? Iąm

> paying out of pocket for this myself, but I would get a second opinion on
> this if there is some conflicting data out there on this type of finding
> (small benign appearing cysts subsequently turning out to be cancerous
> later).
>
> Thanks. You can reply to me here, or to my email address.
>
> Jean in VA

Did he say what kind of ovarian cyst he thought it was?
If you're still ovulating, corpus luteal cysts may be the most common
type and they fade away quite fast. There are several other types
that hang around longer, but the CA-125 test being so good? I'd
say don't worry. Cysts are *very* common. I've had bunches of em.

--
pax,
ruth

Save trees AND money! Buy used books!
http://stores.ebay.com/Noir-and-More-Books-and-Trains

jacquie

Aug 19, 2007, 11:57:36 PM8/19/07
All the Drs I went to said the CA-125 blood test can show false positives
especially if you have fibroid tumors or endometriosis...or even an
infection. I have had three...only because even though the numbers were
within normal range they kept on rising so they just wanted to watch the
numbers for a while. I really think the Ultra Sound and Cat Scan are
probably the best way to see what kind of cyst you are dealing with.

"nickelshrink" <nickel...@yahoo.com> wrote in message