What is the difference?

1 view

elle...@webtv.net

Jun 21, 2001, 4:18:05 AM6/21/01
I have been diagnosed with herpes. I didn't really acknowledged that I
had it until 2 days ago. Since my first OB was 8 months ago. I thought
that the test had to have been wrong.

Especially do to the fact that none of my past lovers were apparently
exposed to it. And my present lover I have had for 8 months doesn't seem
to show any signs. I haven't told him because we've always used condoms
after my first OB. We are extremely close but, separated by distance. So
i figured until I see him again, I won't tell him. I can't tell him on
the phone and I am afraid to tell him to his face. How should I tell
him.

Now to my point. I have read many postings and their seems to be so many
different kinds of herpes. I have been diagnosed with Herpes Simplex 2.
In the genital area. I don't have Simplex 1, and with my past lovers,
oral sex has always been performed. Now how did I end up with HSV2 in
the genital area and not in the oral area. I have never even had a cold
sore?

The reason I got tested was because after I had shaved the genital area
and the hair began to grow back, I broke out in red itchy bumps like
never before. Then a blister showed up on the area where the very top of
our thigh and your bikini line meet. The blister itself wasn't painful
or itchy. The doctor even said that he didn't think it was Herpes
because of the location and when he took a sample from the blister I
didn't even feel it. He said he thought it was an allergic reaction to
the shaving cream I used.

I was relieved and believed I couldn't have it, until the test came back
positive for HSV2. I thought that the test had to have been wrong do to
circumstances and my past lovers. I was and still am, devastated and
scared. I went to them and asked if any of them ever had any STD's or
thought that they might.They all said no. I used condoms with all of
them and my current boyfriend. So, how could I have possibly gotten this
virus?

All, I know is that I have HVS2. And don't have any other form of this
virus. I didn't even know of half the HSV viruses out there. I always
thought that herpes had two forms 1 & 2. Now how do people get optical
herpes, or anal herpes, etc. Is this a virus that can spread to other
parts of the body just because it's in your system? Help! I really am
confused and scared.

I have come to the conclusion, I have this and I need to deal with it,
etc. But, I really am confused about the virus itself.

TBethEve

Jun 21, 2001, 7:54:30 AM6/21/01
Elle:

>I have been diagnosed with herpes. I didn't really acknowledged that I had it
until 2 days ago. Since my first OB was 8 months ago. I thought that the test
had to have been wrong.

Ah, so you've been in denial all this time, right?

>Especially do to the fact that none of my past lovers were apparently exposed
to it.

That they know of, that is. One of your past lovers could have been the one
that gave this to you. Are you aware of the fact that nearly 2/3 rds of the
people who have herpes are not aware of the fact that they have it because
they've never had any symptoms? As such, these people transmit the virus to
others through something that is known as asymptomatic shedding (the shedding
of the virus on the skin surface without symptoms). People who know they have
herpes have asymptomatic shedding also (which often happens prior to or just
after an outbreak). Also, has it ever crossed your mind that one of your past
lovers knows he has it and failed to tell you, because like you, he was either
in denial, or he was afraid you would reject him if he told you?

>I haven't told him because we've always used condoms after my first OB.

You have a moral obligation to tell any potential lover you encounter that you
have herpes BEFORE engaging in sexual relations. Did your doctor tell you that
when he diagnosed you with herpes? Did you know you could be sued for not
doing so?

>Now how did I end up with HSV2 in
>the genital area and not in the oral area. I have never even had a cold sore?

It really sounds like you need to educate yourself on this virus. Frankly, I'm
surprised that you've had it for 8 months already and have not taken the time
to educate yourself on it. For the record, cold sores are herpes and herpes
are cold sores, and it takes skin to skin contact to transmit the virus.
Therefore, you ended up with HSV-2 in the genital area because you were with
someone who had it there also. Also, condoms are not a foolproof barrier from
transmitting or contracting the virus. To find out more about this virus,
visit the following web sites:

www.herpes.com This site has a great article called Good Virus/Bad Virus

www.viradae.com

>I have been diagnosed with Herpes Simplex 2.

Did your doctor tell you this because the culture he or she took diagnosed your
herpes as such, or did the doctor tell you this because he or she believes that
if herpes shows up in the genital region, then it must be HSV-2? Check with
your doctor on this, because 30% of those diagnosed with herpes in the genital
region are in fact, HSV-1, not HSV-2. How can you know for sure at this point
which type you have antibodies for? Get a Herpes Simplex Western Blot blood
test taken. This test is 99% accurate for determining not only that you have
herpes, but also which type you have the antibodies for. For more information
on this test, have your doctor call the following phone number at the
University of Washington. This is the only place in the U.S. that runs this
test.

Phone number for Herpes Specific Western Blot:

1-800-713-5198

Now, as Dr. Laura says, "Go do the right thing." Please educate yourself and
learn how to control this virus so that it doesn't control you.

Beth :-)

Remember, only you hold the keys to your happiness. :-)

M2sl...@hotmail.com

Jun 21, 2001, 8:40:02 AM6/21/01
On Thu, 21 Jun 2001 01:18:05 -0700 (PDT), elle wrote:
>none of my past lovers were apparently
>exposed to it. And my present lover I have had for 8 months doesn't seem
>to show any signs.

Most people that carry the virus, show no symptoms. So they have no
way of knowing they carry it. But occasionally, due to asymptomatic
shedding, they can be contagious too.

>I haven't told him because we've always used condoms
>after my first OB. We are extremely close but, separated by distance. So
>i figured until I see him again, I won't tell him. I can't tell him on
>the phone and I am afraid to tell him to his face. How should I tell
>him.

Well ... if all else fails, there's always the direct approach. But
while you're at it, it wouldn't hurt to ask him to have a blood test
to see if maybe he already has it too. It's quite possible that you
contracted it from him. Or, it's possible you gave it to him. But ,
at this point, it's probably impossible to tell who gave it to whom.

>Now how did I end up with HSV2 in
>the genital area and not in the oral area. I have never even had a cold
>sore?

HSV2 doesn't transfer very easily to the oral area. And on the rare
occasions when it does, the symptoms can be (and are usually)
nonexistant.

>the test came back
>positive for HSV2. I thought that the test had to have been wrong do to
>circumstances and my past lovers.

I'm not really sure what you mean by "circumstances and my past
lovers". But if you were under the impression that "certain people"
just don't have herpes, then that's where you made a mistake.
HSViruses are equal opportunity infectors. Doesn't matter who you are,
where you're from, how much money you have, or your social status ...
*everybody* is eligible. 20%-25% of the adult population in the U.S.
carries HSV, although most don't know it. That's a *bunch* of folks.
And they're scattered through every social strata and category. Bar
none.

>I went to them and asked if any of them ever had any STD's or
>thought that they might.They all said no.

Maybe some of them have it and don't know. Maybe some of them know and
won't say. There's no way of distinguishing who knows, who's in
denial, and who's dishonest.

>I used condoms with all of
>them and my current boyfriend. So, how could I have possibly gotten this
>virus?

HSV spreads by skin to skin contact. And condoms cover only certain
... uh ... parts.

> Is this a virus that can spread to other
>parts of the body just because it's in your system?

1) HSV2 won't spread through your system on it's own. *If* it spreads
at all, it needs your help (autoinoculation) for that. If you have it
genitally, it stays "below the belt". Doesn't spread to your face.
(Autoinoculation=you touch infected area, get virus on your fingers,
then touch another area, and it might possibly take hold. *But* this
doesn't happen often after your body has developed antibodies)

2) HSV2 isn't progressive (doesn't get worse over time), in fact,
your body will learn to deal with it and the symptoms normally become
milder and less frequent over time. In many cases the symptoms simply
don't return at all.

3) HSV2 doesn't lead to any other diseases. Not cancer, not heart
disease, not anything.

Basically, what you have is a mild skin rash now and then (in an
inconvenient place). No big deal. The biggest problem most people
have with it is the "public perception" and the "stigma". Hopefully,
that'll change someday (when the "public" finally gets a clue about
what an HSV infection really means).

>Help! I really am
>confused and scared.

You've come to the right place. Try doing some reading on the web, but
be a little skeptical of a few of the sites. They're not *all* up to
date on this stuff, and a few are just out to sell you something.

Here's a good one for starters.

http://www.viridae.com

M2

Arlyn Grant

Jun 21, 2001, 8:45:50 AM6/21/01
Hi Elle,

Sometimes having the doctor say that you have herpes can just be so
shocking that your brain shuts down and you just assume that the test
is wrong. Ouch. Not good. But, you are out of denial now so please
keep posting your questions and doing research on your own.

Beth gave you some great information. Please read the sites that she
gave you the urls for. There is a lot of misinformation on the web,
but the folks here will post only accurate web sites.

First and formost, you must tell your current partner that you have
herpes. How? Well, when will you see him next? It is probably best
to call him up and get it over with. Unless you are going to see him
soon. If it were me in this situation, I would say, "I have something
to tell you. The doctor told me that I have herpes. Which means I've
exposed you to it. Have you had any strange symptoms in your genital
area?" Etc.

Yes, anyone can have herpes and not show symptoms so it is possible
that it came from your current friend, or anyone in the past.

There are only two types of simplex herpes. Type 1 and type 2. You
can have type 1 or type 2 or both all over your body. Genital, oral,
anal, ocular herpes are either type 1 or type 2 - and those words just
denote the location of the outbreaks.

Many doctors assume that if you have genital herpes then it is type 2.
But this is not the case. Your doctor should have the test results in
his office - find out if the virus was typed. If it wasn't, then the
doctor made an assumption.

Oral herpes is usually (but not always) type 1 herpes. It can be
passed to your genitals while receiving oral sex from someone who has
had cold sores. The boyfriend who gave me genital herpes didn't know
that his cold sores were herpes. This is a common problem.

The best blood test available (I'm biased) is the Herpes Specific
Western Blot test. There is no wiggle room with this test. It will
tell you without a doubt if you have herpes and whether or not it is
type 1 or 2. Many doctors are unaware of this test or don't know that
it is for herpes. You can call them yourself at the number Beth gave
you and get the information as well. But you must have a doctor
officially request the test. This test ran me $104 and I'm still
waiting to find out if my insurance will cover it. I also had to pay
the hospital $50 to draw my blood (my insurance did cover that), spin
it and send the serum to Washington State. If you doctor can do all
that in his office, then you are already ahead of the game.

I hope that you will come back here after doing some reading and ask
us lots of questions.

Good luck and take care,
ar

GUYonphone

Jun 21, 2001, 12:20:12 PM6/21/01
In article <23321-3B...@storefull-618.iap.bryant.webtv.net>,
elle...@webtv.net writes:

<snip>

>All, I know is that I have HVS2. And don't have any other form of this
>virus. I didn't even know of half the HSV viruses out there. I always
>thought that herpes had two forms 1 & 2. Now how do people get optical
>herpes, or anal herpes, etc. Is this a virus that can spread to other
>parts of the body just because it's in your system? Help! I really am
>confused and scared.

<snip>

This is all I saw that wasn't fully covered in the previous responses. There
are 2 types of HSVs, HSV1 and 2. So, therefore, you *did* know about all of
them. However, either of them *can* be located in different areas. HSV2 is
generally located in the genital region. And HSV1 is generally located in the
oral region. But, it depends on where the person was infected by one (or both)
of the HSVs. If the person was infected in the genital region with HSV1, then
it'd still be called genital herpes, but it'd be HSV1. If a person is infected
orally with HSV2, it'd still be orally located but an HSV2 infection (this
would be somewhat rare...to have HSV2 orally located--not impossible, but
rare).

Neither infection, whether orally or genitally located, can move to another
site without your help (or someone elses). By touching an existing lesion, and
then touching another part on your body that is either mucous membrane (so real
thin skinned) or where the skin covering has some type of damage like a cut or
a scrape, it is possible to transfer your own virus to that area as well. So,
avoid touching a lesion whenever possible, and if you do, wash your hands
before touching other parts.

Ocular herpes is generally HSV1, thought to be usually transferred from
someone's oral area to their eyes through inadvertantly touching a coldsore on
the face and then rubbing an eye. Bingo...ocular herpes. However, all this
transferring around is also thought to happen usually in the first short time
the person is infected, before the immune system has built adequate defenses
against further infections from the same type of virus. That defensive stance
is usually set up within about 12-16 weeks from infection. After that time,
it's not easily transferred to other parts due to autoinoculation. Again, not
completely impossible, just more difficult. It's ALWAYS smart to wash hands
after touching ouitbreaks.

Oh, and since you mentioned it, anal herpes would still be popping up from a
"genital" infection. The herpes virus, when infecting the genital region, lies
dormant in the sacral ganglia, a nerve bundle at the base of the spine. When
it gets enough *umph* to replicate and travel down a nerve to the skin surface
(and possibly cause an outbreak), it travels down a path that is the least
resistant to it's travel--and that could be any nerve that goes from the sacral
ganglia to the surface from the waist to the knees. The boxer shorts area.
So, anywhere in that area; the thighs, the anus, the genitals, the "bikini"
area...whatever...it's all fair game for a herpes outbreak once the virus lies
in the ganglia. And because you might have one outbreak in the genital
region, another in the thigh area, and another in the anal area doesn't mean
you'd have new infections...it's just the "path of least resistance" was
different each time for the same infection. Luckily, most people don't have
this happen...we generally get to enjoy some kinda predictability in the
locations of our outbreaks.

Hang in there
-G

Jonathan Price

Jun 22, 2001, 3:05:02 PM6/22/01
Thank you Guy (or is it G?) for that wonderfully clear explanation of autoinfection
issues!

I have a tiny wart-like bump on my little finger that I casually suspected was a
Type I herpes site ( I have genital TypeI) - but was not suspicious enough to do
anything about it. Your post prompted further investigation and it appears I
present an unnecessary and, because it's on my right-hand, not small risk to myself
& others (children, lovers).

I assume the li'l bugger sheds virus material constantly - but I don't know this.
Anybody know about these bumps? Mine is located on the peak of distal knuckle on
pinky. At onset (12/2000) it flared into a scaley-white & red thing with the
profile & diameter of an uncooked split pea, then receded to it's present nearly
invisible head-of-pin, flush to skin state. It's same color as skin too, so is now
difficult to see to the point of my needing to rotate my hand so as to bounce the
light off it just right to see it at all. My questions are:

- this bump constitutes very different symptomatic behavior
from any OB symptoms in my perineal area - which go away.
In what sort of tissue is the virus residing in on my pinky?
Nerve ganglia again?

- It scares me that this thing is on my right hand - which does
everything from please my honey to wiping kids noses &
eyes. My guess is I was a threat to others while the thing
was flared, but how much shedding likely going on with just
this li'l bump? Anybody know?

My reading indicates the thing can be permanently removed without difficulty, but
I've just relocated & am without insurance, known good docs, etc.. thus my appeal
for continuing risk-factor info.

Funny aside: last week a call from my ex-girlfriend tells of cat worries - lovable
thing has a growth in one eye that doesn't seem to to bother him but worries
ex-girlfriend no end. She waits as long as she can stand it (3-4days) then plops
down the requisite $75 (that she can't really afford) for a vet visit. Diagnosis:
ocular herpes. SO, now I wonder if human H can become kitty H. If so then I
probably petted my pinky's virus into the poor thing's eye. Christ, can we give NO
pleasure without causing disease anymore??

Thanks, JP

Arlyn Grant

Jun 22, 2001, 8:12:29 PM6/22/01
Hi Jonathan,

Herpes on your hand is called Herpes Whitlow. Sati is a regular on
this news group and she has it. She is your best bet on getting
information about it. I'm sure she will answer your post as soon as
she sees it. If you wish, you can repost a note to her with her name
on it so that she is sure to see it.

The very first thing I would recommend is having the "outbreak"
cultured. What you have could be something other than herpes. You
won't know until you see a doctor about it. But it is best not to
worry about something until you get a clear idea of what it is.

The herpes on your hand will respond the same way to the antiviral
meds as genital and oral herpes do. And, you can always wear gloves
to protect your pals.

As GUY mentioned, it is difficult to reinfect yourself if you've
already had herpes for a year or so. But this can happen especially
if you have been ill or have a problem with your immune system.

Someone more scientific will have to answer the feline herpes
question.

But make an appointment with your doctor to have the thing on your
hand checked out.

Good luck.
ar

GUYonphone

Jun 23, 2001, 11:26:38 AM6/23/01
It was said:

<snip>

>I have a tiny wart-like bump on my little finger that I casually suspected
>was a
>Type I herpes site ( I have genital TypeI) - but was not suspicious enough to
>do
>anything about it. Your post prompted further investigation and it appears I
>present an unnecessary and, because it's on my right-hand, not small risk to
>myself
>& others (children, lovers).

<snip>

By your description, it does NOT sound like herpes to me. However, it DOES
sound like a wart. And yes, it can spread. However, once removed, although
the wart virus will remain, it shouldn't be as contagious to not only yourself
(yeah, this one's different than herpesvirus....you CAN transfer this one to
other parts easily) and others.

I agree with Arlyn tho...a visit to the doc is in order. My kid had that all
over his right hand..it started the same as yours though...with one bump. He
was given some kinda acid stuff and it's completely gone. He musta had about 20
on his hand by the time he finally sought help. So, don't wait, eh?

Hang in there
-G

Saffyre Moon

Jun 23, 2001, 1:28:08 PM6/23/01

Hey I read the post about the kitty herpes, but I do not know much about
how it could transfer between humans and cats. I talked to my vet (I
have 2 cats) about Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) which is the
Feline version of HIV. She assured me that it cannot be passed back and
forth between humans and cats because the DNA in the viruses are
different and strictly match the genes of a cat. Now, This sounds like
it makes sense, but then I have to wonder how any cat ever got FIV to
begin with.

Also, I was thinking about you advice to wear gloves. That is a
little... auspicious, I would think. He would constantly have to tell
people why he is wearing it, and that can be a nuisance. Why not just
wear a bandaid? Chang it out frequently so that you know you have a
fresh, uncontaminated one on. PLUS the virus needs to be dry, and since
a bandaid can breath, it helps with this also.

Problem Solved, eh?

Angela :-)

Tim Fitzmaurice

Jun 26, 2001, 11:09:57 AM6/26/01
On Sat, 23 Jun 2001, Saffyre Moon wrote:

> Hey I read the post about the kitty herpes, but I do not know much about
> how it could transfer between humans and cats. I talked to my vet (I
> have 2 cats) about Feline Immunodeficiency Virus (FIV) which is the
> Feline version of HIV. She assured me that it cannot be passed back and
> forth between humans and cats because the DNA in the viruses are
> different and strictly match the genes of a cat. Now, This sounds like
> it makes sense, but then I have to wonder how any cat ever got FIV to
> begin with.

Evolution. Viruses are not something that sit and remain stable. They just
as much as us are biological entities (alive doesnt really apply to a
virus) and are forced to adapt to their environment. As the animals
evolved the viruses that parasitised them did so as well. Herpesvirus can
be seen to do this as well.....

As to feline herpes, FHV1 is in the same subgrouping of the herpesviruses
as HSV and VZV, the alphaherpesviruses, It responds to the same drugs and
is well known for causing eye lesions as part of its pathology. Its
primarily a respiratory disease apart from that. Its a distinct virus from
HSV though, its not HSV in a cat. If I rememebr my numbers colony cats
have a 70% or so infection rate, in domestic cats living in smalelr groups
with less contact to other animals the rate drops below 50%.

Tim
When playing rugby, its not the winning that counts, but the taking apart
ICQ: 5178568