tonight's dinner

andy gee

Mar 19, 2001, 8:05:54 PM3/19/01
so i'm on the way back from returning the rented tux, and what strikes my
eye but a nice little jamaican cafeteria. so i get a plate of curried goat
to go. man, this stuff is delicious, and less than half the points of a
comparable beef or pork dish. plain cooked goat is just 3 points for 4
ounces, less than chicken and just slightly more than fish. my project for
the weekend is to try and duplicate my late mom's hungarian veal stew (stew
with apricots in it) with goat.

i'm surprised no one is pushing this stuff. barbecue goat. goatburgers.
sloppy goat. jerk goat and mescalin wrap. between the goat cheese and now
the actual goat, i can actually participate in the mammal world.

---andy the schismatic

248/181/187

Lara

Mar 19, 2001, 8:34:36 PM3/19/01
"andy gee" <and...@interport.net> wrote in message

When I was in Guadeloupe in September '99, I saw "messieurs et Mesdames
chevres" all over the island. I ate shark while I was there, but never
goat!

Where did you ever find the point guidelines for goat? Now I know what
the "Gee" stands for!

--
Lara, Hightstown, NJ, USA
-----------------------------------

234.6 (May 8, 2000)/182.8 (Mar 19, 2001)

ICQ #37126336

See the Amazing Shrinking Girl!
http://community.webshots.com/user/lwieczez

karen

Mar 19, 2001, 11:43:30 PM3/19/01
too funny!

--
Karen
180/174/145
Lara <lwiz...@home.com> wrote in message

RoadRunner

Mar 19, 2001, 8:58:14 PM3/19/01
Andy,

Here in okie land we been eatin BBQ goat for eons. On a bun....mmmmmm.
Deer tastes alot like goat (venison). Mom used to make BBQ sandwiches out
of it all the time. There was a black man who made the best...Sam's
BBQ.....he passed away and we have never had good BBQ goat like that since!
Lots of people around here eat it...and like I tell hubby...a deer is just a
glorified goat....just about the same critter.

Congrats on your find!
--
Michelle (Oklahoma Redneck)
Start Date: 08/01/00

andy gee

Mar 19, 2001, 9:29:09 PM3/19/01

"Lara" <lwiz...@home.com> wrote in message

> Where did you ever find the point guidelines for goat? Now I know what
> the "Gee" stands for!

it's in the complete food guide -- once for plain goat (which they list at
1 point per ounce, but the usda database applied to the ww slide rule for a
portion (4 oz of goat is a portion) comes out to 3 points. it's in again
under ethnic specialties; island curried goat is 5 points for 4 ounces. i
didn't have any of the gravy poured over my goat, so i counted it as 4
points.

Chibell4

Mar 19, 2001, 10:29:12 PM3/19/01
Hi Andy!

You might be interested to hear about a local Mexican Restaurant here in the
Dallas Ft Worth Area...they have served Goat (called "Cabrito" in Spanish, for
years.....(roasted.......looks good, never ate it since I mainly am a
"chickentarian"...not much meat at all). I guess the idea of goat has been
around for a long time....! We also have a Native American restaurant where
you can eat Elk and Buffalo and such...

Also, I am a returning member to the NG, havent rejoined WW yet as I am
awaiting recovery from surgery to be able to drive, but reading your posts
makes this place more fun! Thanks!

Jenni

down about 50lbs from original WW joining weight, but much more to go! : )
"If I can't be accountable, then I can't be successful"

Ava Kinsey

Mar 19, 2001, 10:43:57 PM3/19/01
I like goat that has been bar-b-qued in a pit. With all the veggies tucked
nicely in the belly and tied up! Wonderful!

Ava Kinsey

Mar 19, 2001, 10:42:57 PM3/19/01
They have goat in there but not Corned Beef, except the crap in the can!
Amazing!

Stephen Rees

Mar 19, 2001, 11:05:32 PM3/19/01
Curried goat is popular in most Caribbean islands - I had it on St Lucia.

There are many meat bearing animals that produce lower fat meat than is
generally purveyed by the average supermarket. Look out for bison, ostrich
and kangaroo. These are beginning to appear in places like British Airways
first class cabin - I kid you not!

mykjk

Mar 20, 2001, 12:23:39 AM3/20/01
barbecue goat. goatburgers.
: sloppy goat. jerk goat, goat cheese

how funny! I cant imagine anyone eating
goats! :o) sorry! hee hee!

Julie
mykjk
Luke 6:27-28 But I tell you who hear me:
Love your enemies, do good to those who
hate you, bless those
who curse you, pray for those who
mistreat you.

"andy gee" <and...@interport.net> wrote
in message

: so i'm on the way back from returning

:
:
:

kat >^.^<

Mar 20, 2001, 8:06:06 AM3/20/01
And Elk, possum, squirrel, armadillo, emu and ostrich, (no llama or
kangaroo).

--
kat >^.^<
Rhinelander, WI USA

Ava Kinsey <ava...@worldnet.att.net> wrote in message

> They have goat in there but not Corned Beef, except the crap in the can!
> Amazing!

Stephen Rees

Mar 20, 2001, 2:54:50 PM3/20/01
On Mon, 19 Mar 2001 20:05:32 -0800, "Stephen Rees"
<sreesY...@iprimus.ca> wrote:

>Curried goat is popular in most Caribbean islands - I had it on St Lucia.
>
>There are many meat bearing animals that produce lower fat meat than is
>generally purveyed by the average supermarket. Look out for bison, ostrich
>and kangaroo. These are beginning to appear in places like British Airways
>first class cabin - I kid you not!

Following up that kangaroo reference - here is an item from today's
Guardian

http://www.guardianunlimited.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,459514,00.html

Stephen Rees
Richmond BC Canada
to reply by email take off yer boots
204.8/166/164
http://communities.msn.ca/TheReesWeightLosssite

karen

Mar 20, 2001, 6:38:25 PM3/20/01
Would that make goat cheese lower in points as well?

--
Karen
180/174/145
Stephen Rees <sreesY...@iprimus.ca> wrote in message

Mickie Jobe

Mar 21, 2001, 6:00:19 AM3/21/01
Except that goats will eat whatever is in front of them!!

I was an Okie but now I am a transplanted Texan!
--
Mickie in Fort Worth, Texas
252/239/237/227/148

RoadRunner <mybus...@notyours.com> wrote in message

Mickie Jobe

Mar 21, 2001, 6:03:25 AM3/21/01
What restaurants are you talking about? I am also in the Dfw area. Dad might
like to try the restaurant that serves goat, although he probably would not
be willing to pay for goat meat! (Po Boy food! And yes, he was raised a po
boy!) But I am mostly interested in the native restaurant. Where is it??
What's the name??

--
Mickie in Fort Worth, Texas
252/239/237/227/148

Chibell4 <chib...@cs.comnojunk> wrote in message

Mickie Jobe

Mar 21, 2001, 6:04:48 AM3/21/01
A running gag in our family has the punch line: "Please pass the Billy!" And
of course this comes from actual experiences, not just a joke.

--
Mickie in Fort Worth, Texas
252/239/237/227/148

mykjk <kjkm...@ffni.com> wrote in message

Ava Kinsey

Mar 21, 2001, 8:39:52 AM3/21/01
I raised goats, and they will eat almost anything! They will and have eaten
the Poison Ivy off of my fence, however, they did not eat the Poke Salad out
of my yard. I knew right then that Poke Salad was not for human consumption
I don't care what anybody said!! LOL
I am a transplanted Prune Picker. Have been an honorary Okie for 18 years.

Chibell4

Mar 24, 2001, 2:57:06 PM3/24/01
Hi Mickie,
Sorry I took a while to respond, have not been on much lately.

You can get Cabrito (goat) at a restaurant called Cantina Laredo, there is one
on the famous Addison restaurant row (beltline road) or also at Preston and
Royal in NDallas.

Tenaya (www.tenaya.com) has the other exotic stuff...game, etc. In Irving near
Macarthur Blvd. I had chicken there though...LOL, while my buds had all those
other things!

Where in Ft Worth area are you? Nice to have someone local too...hoping to
begin WW next week once I am totally able to get around!

Jennifer

Chibell4

Mar 24, 2001, 3:08:37 PM3/24/01
sorry, the link for tenaya is wrong, guess they changed it!

Anyhow, its good!