doc wont up meds

kaat

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
well yesterday I went to doc and she says she wont up my prozac until I see
a therapist. Im on 40 mg now and Ive found that it peters out after 3 weeks.
When I have a drink I dont feel that weird feeling anymore , in fact I feel
no effect at all like I could drink a case ..but of course I dont.but Im not
in the hole thank the good Lord .sounds weird I know but this is happening
to me. So I check out my insurance which will only cover 500 dollars
annually for a licensed psychologist only.What the heck is that? That goes
to show how much is thought of peoples mental health here in
Ontario....this sucks!

kaat

Joymolloy

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
You can always change your doctor; use that $500 your insurance will cover for
the best doc you can get and the right med[s]. Good luck.

Tracy Ann Bernson

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
For what it is worth.. I think your doc. is right. I used to think medication
alone was the answer, but I have seen the benefits of therapy. Are there any
clinics where you are. They are typically run by residents, and from my
experience, are caring, concerned, and knowledgeable. They aren't jaded like a doc
who has been in the field for a while. Before you say no or listen to those on
this list who would be more apt to jump up and down against therapy, at least
investiage it.

best,

Harry John Davies

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
'Xcuse me? Get your doctor to get you a therapist. OHIP covers shrinks that
are via doctors orders. Only way I could ever see mine. Ohip covers all
needed medical items. Including mental. Talk to your doctor or local CMHA
branch.

Harry

kaat

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
Harry...the one psychiatrist for the whole region that ohip supports is
fanatically booked...as you know thats the way it is, besides I traveled to
see this one doc ohip covers for thousands of ppl (he is 1 and a half hours
away) and went to him for one year, he didnt believe in meds and I crashed
hard. He wiped his hands and said see your GP to investigate meds and here
is a number for alcohol abuse, then call me back.....what a joke this
country...I often wonder what kind of psychiatrist is slotted for working
for the gov

kaat

Harry John Davies

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
Well, in my experience all Psychologists are frantically booked all over. As
for the idea that some do not take OHIP I have NEVER heard of such a case. It
does sound to me like you are in a very poorly represented area of the
province. As for Doctors I have discovered there are good and bad doctors in
every area. I am lucky in that my GP is good and my previous one (Now on a
years vacation in Africa with his bride) was excellent. Perhaps a psychiatrist
is not what you really need.. Perhaps a Psychologist with a good GP. Or a
Therapist. I have called my resources on OHIP and OHIP pays all doctors for
their treatments. Now the problem some have is they wish to charge rates above
OHIP and focus on the Insurance company's as their "Client".

Personally this sounds greedy and not a healthy way a doctor should look at a
patient. If you tell me your area (Private email is acceptable) I can give you
some local resources in your area. *Grin* Being a member/volunteer/COmmittee
member for a MH Association means I have lots of resources trapped in my brain
and files. So.. If you want I can try to help.

Harry

Harry John Davies

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00

Cliff wrote:

> A psychiatrist that doesn't believe in meds? I guess it happens
> occasionally.

Yep.. And like the psych that over meds both are dangerous.

> Isn't there some provision for a "second opinion" from another GP? On
> your case, perhaps another GP would let you increase the dose. Only my
> opinion, but I don't see any harm in an increase from 40 to 60 mg
> Prozac, and it very well could be of benefit. And another opinion,
> since you have already been to therapy for a year, you know if
> returning might be of benefit or not.

Oh yes.. Very much so.. But Doctors are often .. concerned by seeing
another patient who goes "My GP won't give me drugs I think I need."
Personally I think Kaat needs to see a psych for a consult to the GP..
Her GP should be able to get her one from the nearest hospital or even a
psych hospital