Phenylethylamine in combination with selegiline (Emsam) gives rapid relief from depression

justin

Jan 14, 2007, 2:03:42 AM1/14/07
http://www.selegiline.com/pea.html
http://neuro.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/reprint/6/2/203.pdf

"Our clinical observations indicate that 60% of depressed patients have
a reduction in PEA metabolism, and that PEA is effective in 60% of
depressed patients. PEA relieves depression very fast, in a matter of
hours or days, and produces no toxic effects, tolerance or abuse."
http://creativebios.com/Treatment.html

"PEA is rapidly destroyed in the body. To prevent its rapid
destruction, it must be protected by the simultaneous administration of
low doses of selegiline [Emsam]."
http://creativebios.com/Treatment.html

Phenylethylamine is abbreviated PEA.

It's sold for as low as $1.00 per gram of powder on the web:
http://customnutritionwarehouse.com/pea-p-1127.html

justin

Jan 14, 2007, 2:41:34 AM1/14/07

If one took it at the maximum dosage used in the studies (60mg), it
looks like it would only cost around $2.00/month plus shipping and
require an electronic scale accurate to at least .01grams to measure
the powder. I haven't tried it, but I might.

justin

Jan 20, 2007, 4:46:16 PM1/20/07
I first learned about selegiline + phenylethylamine by reading about
others trying it on other boards recently.

I've done more research on this and talked with a researcher.
Phenylethylamine in combination with an MAO inhibitor like
selegiline(emsam) or another MAOI can cause hypertensive crisis similar
to ingesting tyramine containing foods, although a temporary one that
can last up to an hour before norepinhephrine is reaborbed after
release. Basically, once a certain pressor dosage is reached it will
start raising blood pressure. So, although taking 60mg daily in a few
divided dosages throughout the day in these studies apparently didn't
cause any problems whatsoever, if one were to take 60mg at once or
somewhat higher (exact trigger dosage not known) then it might cause a
dangerous spike in blood pressure, and of course some people might be
more sensitive to this than others. All it would take is simply
measuring out the powder wrong by accident or whatever.

So, I'm not going to try it, even if so many others are. Too much
risk.