If god loved us he wouldn't make us bipolars!

Luke

May 20, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/20/97

As you have probably guessed already, I'm a very non-religious
16-year old from South Jersey (near Philly). First, I think it's a tad
unfair that 1 (one) guy gets to run the whole universe. Second, if he
loved everybody (like many people seem to think), then WHY would he
make life a living HELL for so many of them? Am I the only one who
feels this way?

P.S.- Please don't post any of that religious bullshit in response.

Stormy

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

>I hope this isn't religious bullshit. I am 16 as well; my diagnosis is
>not bipolar but schizoaffective, which has bipolar aspects. But when you
>said that one guy gets to rule the whole universe, I think you are
>looking at it wrong. There is a group of beings that created the
>universe, but they only watch over it; they don't "run" it. And I should
>know -- I am one of them, and I am in contact with several of them. We
>do not demand belief.
>Amanda Baggs
>nigh...@netcom.com

Okay, so this response MAY have come from you being "schizoaffective",
but do you honestly believe this??
Stormy
ง~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ง
Want to know more about me?
check out the updated homepage! Last updated-5/20/97
http://www.geocities.com/Area51/Cavern/3119
Interested in Litature? Want to submit something to me? Want to learn how to get copyrights?
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/5024 last updated 5/20/97 New page, that I am not sure what to do with yet. Any suggestions??
http://www.geocities.com/Athens/Forum/3165--this is the one that Deb started for me, last updated 5/20/97 ง~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ง

Galiganinda Dulin

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

In article <3382dab5...@netnews.voicenet.com>,

--
-- | "My God!--it's full of stars!"
Amanda Baggs | (Dave Bowman)

RustyBehr

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

In article <3382dab5...@netnews.voicenet.com>, nin....@juno.com
(Luke ) writes:

> As you have probably guessed already, I'm a very non-religious
>16-year old from South Jersey (near Philly). First, I think it's a tad
>unfair that 1 (one) guy gets to run the whole universe. Second, if he
>loved everybody (like many people seem to think), then WHY would he
>make life a living HELL for so many of them? Am I the only one who
>feels this way?
>

>P.S.- Please don't post any of that religious bullshit in response.

When I took philosophy in college, this kind of question was called the
Problem of Evil. It has been being debated for centuries, and no one has
come up with a good resolution for it.

People with mental disorders have been separated from society for the last
few centuries. Personally, it seems to me that society is becoming
narrower and narrower in the kinds of behaviors it is willing or able to
tolerate.

Look at it this way. God, or whomever, created diversity. People create
rejection and suffering. People create hell for other people. This is
all out of ignorance. So, I don't see how you can blame a source of
perpetual wisdom, goodness and truth, for what a bunch of pinheads on
earth are doing. .... just my opinon.

Personally, I try to do what I can to better the lives of myself and other
people who suffer. Might I suggest that you direct your energies in that
way as well?

Do you plan to go to college?

Best,
Rusty
mail to: Rust...@aol.com
"Wherever you go, there you are."

Galiganinda Dulin

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

In article <5ltvds$gc3$1...@news13.gte.net>, Stormy <wild...@gte.net> wrote:

>Okay, so this response MAY have come from you being "schizoaffective",
>but do you honestly believe this??

I don't lie.

Rebecca Lee Marion Romahn

May 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/21/97

I am a religious 22 year-old, and I struggle with this question as well.
I feel that the evil in the world does not come from above, but from
below. God may allow trials in this life to make us stronger for the
next. During my manic episodes I feel very close to God, and I feel that
is a precious gift He has given to me.

Sincerely,
Reba

In article (Luke ) wrote:
> As you have probably guessed already, I'm a very non-religious
>16-year old from South Jersey (near Philly). First, I think it's a tad
>unfair that 1 (one) guy gets to run the whole universe. Second, if he
>loved everybody (like many people seem to think), then WHY would he
>make life a living HELL for so many of them? Am I the only one who
>feels this way?
>

>P.S.- Please don't post any of that religious bullshit in response.

Rebecca Lee Marion Romahn

Stephan Voege

May 26, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/26/97

Luke (nin....@juno.com) wrote:
: As you have probably guessed already, I'm a very non-religious
: 16-year old from South Jersey (near Philly). First, I think it's a tad
: unfair that 1 (one) guy gets to run the whole universe. Second, if he
: loved everybody (like many people seem to think), then WHY would he
: make life a living HELL for so many of them? Am I the only one who
: feels this way?

I honestly feel cursed. Why the hell would the 'man upstairs' curse me
with such an insatiable dis-ease?

But then, I don't know who 'he' really is, so 'nuff said.

: P.S.- Please don't post any of that religious bullshit in response.

Well, what the hell. The man that I thought was upstairs turned out to
be the guy in the middle who was coercing me downstairs, and now he
doesn't exist.

'Move upside, and let the man go through... ' Maybe there's some kinda
path here somewhere. Music?

Stevie V
--
I'd rather hide - than fight you stealing my soul
a marbled ocean of steaming ghosts

Andre Aubin

May 27, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/27/97

Like Bill Cosby recently said, did you ever think that it was the man
downstairs who is the real culprit?

Andre

Marty A. Whited 99/00

May 28, 1997, 3:00:00 AM5/28/97

Hello friends,
My perspective may not be welcomed here, but I happen to believe that God
never asks more of us than we can give, but rather with every test
provides us with what we need to make it through. Several of the world
religious scriptures say just that, I can say for certain the Christian
and Baha'i Scriptures do. I believe that there is no growth without pain,
and we are suffering that we may grow. I do not know why some people
suffer some ways and we sufeer in our way, but I believe in a Creator who
knows his Craetion intimately and provides us with what will advance us
_SPIRITUALLY_. One quality necessary for spiritual growth is detatchment,
and Buddist and Bahai scriptures to name two point to this very clearly.
As bipolars, we must learn to cope with not having much stability. If we
can turn to the source of true stability, God the Creator, then we will be
able to thank God for the test of bipolar disorder.

I am not saying we have to like it. We arent supposed to *like* tests,
but we are called to learn to embrace them as opportunities to advance
spiritually by leaps and bounds, whereas without tests we would advance
very slowly. This world is all about suffering, because this world is a
place where we can grow fastest of all teh worlds of God. We shall always
continue to grow, for the spirit is eternal and the perfections of man are
endless. But dont worry, you dont have to enjoy the test. The thing is,
we can use the unhappiness of the disorder and its consequences to help us
in our searchg for true happiness, happiness that lasts longer than good
health, whihc is finite, but rather advance towards a happiness that is
endless.

How do we find happiness? The first step is to recognize God's messenger
for today (Baha'u'llah) who is the promised one of all religions, and
secondly our recognition must lead to obedience to the words of God, the
teachings of Baha'u'llah. By learning his teachings, we will come to know
the reasons behind suffering, the keys for overcoming suffering, and the
purpose of life, whihc is to know and worship God. (You can see how
recognition and obedience to God's Manifestation follows from knowing and
worshipping God, I think).

More info on my webpage, http:www.middlebury.edu/~whited/

--Marty Whited, <"whi...@panther.middlebury.edu">, Class of 1999/2000
"The happiness & greatness, the rank & station, the pleasure & peace, of
an individual have never consisted in his personal wealth, but rather in
his excellent character, his high resolve, the breadth of his learning,
and his ability to solve difficult problems."--Abdul Baha, Baha'i Faith
More information at http://www.middlebury.edu/~whited/ & www.bahai.org

eileen sisk

Jun 1, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/1/97

Although I hate to admit it at times, I do think you are right Marty in
saying God gives us what He thinks we can handle. God knows I've felt like
Job in my life many times, but I think Iread another post here where
someone said "get off the cross, somebody else needs the wood!" I liked
that. Sure, we can all sit around and ask "why," feel sorry, etc. When
people get pissed off at my bipolar son, I always tell them, "He's here to
teach YOU a lesson."

Eileen

Barry

Jun 14, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/14/97
to eileen sisk

By the way, that story comes from the movie The Warriors of Virtue.

eileen sisk wrote:

> I was at a John Tesh concert (my husband's idea, not mine) a couple of
> weeks ago and he related a story his pastor told in church. It had to do
> with patience.
>
> See, this man had found a coccoon (sp?) and decided he would watch it.
> Well, days went by and nothing happened. Then one day the man noticed a
> small hole in it, so he watched as it slowly became larger. He decided he
> would help the soon-to-be-moth or butterfly out of the coccoon (I know I am
> misspelling that word!) and he opened it with a pair of scissors. This is
> what he found inside: A moth with a very large torso and small
> not-yet-formed wings. The moth did not survive because unbeknownst to the
> man, the moth needed to struggle out of the coccoon to develop his wings
> before he could fly.
>
> Moral to the story: It is the struggle in life that makes us strong.
>
> Eileen

BookGemini

Jun 21, 1997, 3:00:00 AM6/21/97

Just a short suggestion. I found Harold Kushner's book
"When Bad Things Happen to Good People" to be very
enlightening. It completely changed the way I saw God.

Chuck