RANT!! (Was: And even MORE weirdness...)

1 view

Jas

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
> As I was driving home from work, I let the radio search for something to
> listen to and happened across a show on which there was a police officer as
> the guest of a lawyer. Some guy called in and asked the cop what parents
> could do to make the world a little safer for their children this summer
> while said children are out of school and playing in the streets. The guy
> sounded sincere. Stupid, but sincere.
>
> Unfortunately, the cop began her "call the park and rec department" speech
> instead of telling him to teach his brats not to play in the street.

I live in the end of a cul-de-sac. An under-ten-years-old sprog-infested
cul. An under-ten-years-old-sprog-infested cul with nearly NO traffic; a
cul on which the teenagers across the street play street hockey
regularly; on which a basketball hoop is regularly rolled out and half
the neighbours play pick-up.

So imagine my surprise when I drove in on Saturday to find a couple of
orange traffic cones sitting in the middle of the cul up near the
entrance. Couldn't figure it out until I came around the dogleg to see
two brats charging round the street on their little sprogcycles. Okay,
whatever.

But yesterday...I come into the cul, there are the damn traffic cones,
and a neighbour (our resident Gladys Kravitz) standing between the cones
waving me down. She put up her hand in the 'stop' gesture, moved in
front of my truck, then backed up a little, looking over her shoulder
down the cul (which I couldn't see because of the dogleg) and yelling
something. I stuck my head out of the windown and yelled "Hey, what's
up?"; she simpers and says "Oh, just a minute, the kiddies are playing
in the street" and stood there holding me up until Bratleigh and Snotmus
Jr. deigned to get the fuck out of the way.

<steam>

Bad enough that I have to live next door to Hellspawn Carly and her
clueless BNP keepers. Bad enough that the model for every dumb-blond
joke you've ever heard, her dumb-as-mud husband and her three spoiled
whiney crotchlings moved in right behind us. Bad enough that I have to
listen to the fat wheezing cow on the other side of me moo
"Pauuuuuulllll" at her out-of-control wandering brat twenty times a day
(and she really does moooo, believe me. It's funny as hell). But now I
have access to my own fucking house restricted by some self-important
do-good neighbour with a control complex, so a buncha spoiled brats WHO
ALL HAVE HUGE YARDS can run wild in the street?

Good god. I love my house, I love this area, but I can't wait til the
bust hits this town so I can afford to move.

Jas
--
...but wotthehell archy wotthehell
jamais triste archy jamais triste

to e-mail me, remove the shellfish

Cheryl M Greer

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
In article <36F672...@cadvision.com>,
Jas <pol...@mudbugs.cadvision.com> wrote:

<tale of the cul-de-sac from Hell snipped>

>up?"; she simpers and says "Oh, just a minute, the kiddies are playing
>in the street" and stood there holding me up until Bratleigh and Snotmus
>Jr. deigned to get the fuck out of the way.

>do-good neighbour with a control complex, so a buncha spoiled brats WHO

>ALL HAVE HUGE YARDS can run wild in the street?

Yes, what the hell ever happened to the concept of playing in one's
yard??!? I would guess that none of the breeders want all the neighborhood
spawn in THEIR yards, so they'd rather inflict them on the neighborhood as
a whole.

And while I'm at it, isn't this what PLAYGROUNDS are for? What the hell
ever happened to playgrounds?!?! I still see them around this area, so I
know they still exist. Oh wait, I forgot, playgrounds are -dangerous-!
Britthenney might Faw Down and hurt her Golden head. I guess street
asphalt hurts less?

Goddammit. This really pisses me off. I live in an apartment now, but I
vividly remeber the summers my mom and I spent listening to the
schreechers "playing" (an aside: does screaming for no purpose constitute
playing nowadays?) on the street/hill outside of my parents' house. Not to
mention the winters when the fuckers would sledride down the hill..even
when the Was No Snow On It!!

Oh, I can feel my blood pressure elevating as I type..

I think you should call up a bunch of loud, rude, large CF people and we
can all get together and play on your street sometime. Hey, why not?
Apparently it's a public park..

Cheryl
Bringing the wiffle bats for faux lightsaber duels!

Colleen Condron

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
On 22 Mar 1999 19:16:55 GMT, vici...@pitt.edu (Cheryl M Greer)
wrote:

>And while I'm at it, isn't this what PLAYGROUNDS are for? What the hell
>ever happened to playgrounds?!?! I still see them around this area, so I
>know they still exist. Oh wait, I forgot, playgrounds are -dangerous-!
>Britthenney might Faw Down and hurt her Golden head. I guess street
>asphalt hurts less?

A couple of years ago, I lived in a townhouse complex. We had a
communal backyard, which was overrun with screaming hellspawn,
who would do their thing from early morning till 9-11 at night.
There was a school, WITH A PLAYGROUND, right next door. Never
saw the spawn playing there. Only in the communal backyard. The
kids were the reason I moved.

Colleen
who can still hear the echos of one spawnmaster screaming
"kaaaay-leeeeigh. Kaaaayyyy-leeeeigh. Dammit, Kaleigh, get in
here!"

Chris Henderson

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
In article <36f69d4e...@news.fwi.com>, cmco...@mindspring.com (Colleen Condron) writes:

> A couple of years ago, I lived in a townhouse complex. We had a
> communal backyard, which was overrun with screaming hellspawn,
> who would do their thing from early morning till 9-11 at night.
> There was a school, WITH A PLAYGROUND, right next door. Never
> saw the spawn playing there. Only in the communal backyard. The
> kids were the reason I moved.
>
> Colleen
> who can still hear the echos of one spawnmaster screaming
> "kaaaay-leeeeigh. Kaaaayyyy-leeeeigh. Dammit, Kaleigh, get in
> here!"

I hear ya! We live in the same type of neighbourhood.
Although ours isn't *quite* as bad as yours was, in the
summer, we often have to keep our front door shut to
keep the noise down, plus, the kids often run right thru
our backyard. I hate it but we're stuck there for at
least another couple years. Our "complex" also has a
playground but the kids prefer to play in the roadway.

Christine Henderson
(still dreaming of the day when we can move to our
hobby-farm in the country)

Jas

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
Cheryl M Greer wrote:

> I think you should call up a bunch of loud, rude, large CF people and we
> can all get together and play on your street sometime. Hey, why not?
> Apparently it's a public park..
>
> Cheryl
> Bringing the wiffle bats for faux lightsaber duels!

Ooo! Ooo! Ooo! Can I have the orange one? WHAPWHAPWHAPWHAPWHAP!!!! <8^D

Ya know what, Cheryl? That's an *awesome* idea. Not only are ALL of my
friends CF but most of them can be exceedingly loud and obnoxious on
demand. And since I live in farming country, many of them are very very
large indeed. And not a one of them gives a fig what anybody else thinks
of them.

And since most of them are in the SCA, they pretty well all have their
own armour (complete with full horsetails hanging off their helms) as
well as assorted 'weaponry': broadswords, polearms, battle-axes, rattan
poles...you name it.

And they all like to sing. Rugby songs, in particular.

Hee hee hee. Just look at that huge clean round expanse of perfectly
good asphalt sitting outside going to waste. Hmmmm...ya know, fight
practices can get pretty loud but gee...it IS outdoors, and after all,
they're only playing! ;-)

Bring yer wiffle bats, darlin'! I'll supply the beer!

Jas
(just lovin' this idea to PIECES! Revenge! Revenge!)

Cathleen

Mar 22, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/22/99
In article <36F6DE...@home.com>, thev...@torpedoes.home.com wrote:

> lorz wrote:
> >
> > Hey, great idea! Can we all come over and play? I'll bring the slip
n'slide!

> <Jas' ears perk up>
>
> 'Slip n'slide'? What, pray tell, is that? If it's as fun as it sounds,
> bring it, bring it, by all means!
>
> Jas
> (everything's a toy)

Well, I wasn't the one who mentioned it but I have to jump in or, more
appropriately, "on"! They used to sell these manufactured by Hasbro or
Mattel or some-such but the best ones were home-made. I had lots of older
cousins who were very resourceful (different generations!). Anyway, they
would take a roll of very heavy duty plastic (1/8-1/4" thick), roll it out
about 40 feet long, position the hose at one end on full blast and then,
the pièce de resistance!, squirt Ivory soap on the plastic to make the
death runs even faster! God, that brings back memories :)

Jas

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
lorz wrote:

> Hey, great idea! Can we all come over and play? I'll bring the slip n'slide!

<Jas' ears perk up>

'Slip n'slide'? What, pray tell, is that? If it's as fun as it sounds,
bring it, bring it, by all means!

Jas
(everything's a toy)

Chris Petit

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99

lorz wrote in message <36F6A610...@teleport.com>...
>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Cheryl M Greer wrote:

>> Jas wrote:
>>
>> <tale of the cul-de-sac from Hell snipped>
>>
>> >up?"; she simpers and says "Oh, just a minute, the kiddies are playing
>> >in the street" and stood there holding me up until Bratleigh and Snotmus
>> >Jr. deigned to get the fuck out of the way.
>>
>> >do-good neighbour with a control complex, so a buncha spoiled brats WHO
>> >ALL HAVE HUGE YARDS can run wild in the street?
>>
>> I think you should call up a bunch of loud, rude, large CF people and we
>> can all get together and play on your street sometime. Hey, why not?
>> Apparently it's a public park..
>
>Hey, great idea! Can we all come over and play? I'll bring the slip
n'slide!

Sounds good to me, Laura! :-)

I'll bring the volleyball and net. They won't mind if I bring a
jackhammer and put some small holes in the street to put the net in, right?

Chris Petit

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99

Cathleen wrote in message ...

>In article <36F6DE...@home.com>, thev...@torpedoes.home.com wrote:
>
>> lorz wrote:
>> >
>> > Hey, great idea! Can we all come over and play? I'll bring the slip
>n'slide!
>>
>> <Jas' ears perk up>
>>
>> 'Slip n'slide'? What, pray tell, is that? If it's as fun as it sounds,
>> bring it, bring it, by all means!
>>
>> Jas
>> (everything's a toy)
>
>Well, I wasn't the one who mentioned it but I have to jump in or, more
>appropriately, "on"! They used to sell these manufactured by Hasbro or
>Mattel or some-such but the best ones were home-made. I had lots of older
>cousins who were very resourceful (different generations!). Anyway, they
>would take a roll of very heavy duty plastic (1/8-1/4" thick), roll it out
>about 40 feet long, position the hose at one end on full blast and then,
>the pièce de resistance!, squirt Ivory soap on the plastic to make the
>death runs even faster! God, that brings back memories :)

Sounds like a LOT of fun to me! :-)

Jas

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
Cathleen wrote:

> Well, I wasn't the one who mentioned it but I have to jump in or, more
> appropriately, "on"! They used to sell these manufactured by Hasbro or
> Mattel or some-such but the best ones were home-made. I had lots of older
> cousins who were very resourceful (different generations!). Anyway, they
> would take a roll of very heavy duty plastic (1/8-1/4" thick), roll it out
> about 40 feet long, position the hose at one end on full blast and then,
> the pièce de resistance!, squirt Ivory soap on the plastic to make the
> death runs even faster! God, that brings back memories :)

!!! Oh, *my*!!!

I missed that on the first go-round...wow! More's the pity! That sounds
like a *blast*. Just imagine the possibilities if you throw a bottle of
b*by oil into the mix. Or better yet, canola oil...it smells *much*
better!

<BIG CHESHIRE-CAT GRIN!!>

Okay, whoever offered Slip n Slide up for the Official Rant n' Storm
Breeder-Buster Send-'Em-Running Block Party, BRING IT! BRING IT! BRING
IT!!!!

Jas
<whose eyes are all aglow just now...>

--
...but wotthehell archy wotthehell
jamais triste archy jamais triste
that is my motto.

to e-mail me, damn the torpedoes

robin

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
Jas wrote:

> But yesterday...I come into the cul, there are the damn traffic cones,
> and a neighbour (our resident Gladys Kravitz) standing between the cones
> waving me down. She put up her hand in the 'stop' gesture, moved in
> front of my truck, then backed up a little, looking over her shoulder
> down the cul (which I couldn't see because of the dogleg) and yelling
> something. I stuck my head out of the windown and yelled "Hey, what's

> up?"; she simpers and says "Oh, just a minute, the kiddies are playing
> in the street" and stood there holding me up until Bratleigh and Snotmus
> Jr. deigned to get the fuck out of the way.

You have more patience than I do, Jas...

If anybody other than the Official Holy School Crossing Guard had done
that to me, I would have sat there and laid on the horn until everybody
within earshot had come out of their house...

dit - dit - dit - dah - dah - dah - dit - dit - dit

Not that most people anymore would recognize the pattern... :(

btw, do they close down the streets with steep hills for sled riding out
there?

robin

Patrice

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
>>A couple of years ago, I lived in a townhouse complex. We had a
>>communal backyard, which was overrun with screaming hellspawn,
>>who would do their thing from early morning till 9-11 at night.
>>There was a school, WITH A PLAYGROUND, right next door. Never
>>saw the spawn playing there. Only in the communal backyard. The
>>kids were the reason I moved.

I used to live in a townhouse complex that had a pool. The hours for
the pool were 8AM (!!!!!) to 10 PM all summer. And, guess whose
townhouse was right on the pool?. The breeders who lived there would
leave their brats at the pool all day. It didn't bother me that much
through the week as I had to be up anyway. But, on the weekends, I
would be jarred awake by the sound of screaming and splashing
hellspawn at 8AM. And, you could forget going to bed early.
It was annoying. Fortunately, the other people
who bordered the pool felt the same way and we all got together and
made the management change the hours the pool was open (hours
were changed to 10 AM to 8 PM every day.
The breeders bitched, but the management did not cave in! (the threat
of losing all the renters who were threatening to move out because
of the pool hours won their sympathies).

Dawn Draheim

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
Jas wrote in message <36F6CD...@cadvision.com>...

>And since most of them are in the SCA, they pretty well all have their
>own armour (complete with full horsetails hanging off their helms) as
>well as assorted 'weaponry': broadswords, polearms, battle-axes, rattan
>poles...you name it.

Jas!! I'm the SCA too. OK, who else out there is too? :)

>Bring yer wiffle bats, darlin'! I'll supply the beer!

Oh, yeah, Fighter Practice....one look at that and the sproggen will
run the other way whenever they see you coming.

Dawn Draheim, living in the Barony of the Steppes, Ansteorra
d...@cyberramp.net

Aynthem

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99

Jas wrote in message <36F6DE...@home.com>...

>lorz wrote:
>>
>> Hey, great idea! Can we all come over and play? I'll bring
the slip n'slide!

><Jas' ears perk up>
>
>'Slip n'slide'? What, pray tell, is that? If it's as fun as it
sounds,
>bring it, bring it, by all means!

And continuing in the tradition of Toys That Can Kill Stupid
Little Kids, I will go back to NJ, dig around in my aunt and
uncle's basement, and bring the:

Lawn Jarts
pogo stick (if you've ever been on one, you know what I mean)
unicycle
and my cousin's old model rockets with explodable engines

Maybe, if we look like we're having a lot of fun, we can convince
the evil neighborhood sproggen that Lawn Jarts is played like the
knifethrowers at the circus..."Now Snotleigh, stand by that tree,
and don't move...I SAID DON'T MOVE..."

Dreaming wistfully,
Melody

Chris Petit

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99

Jas wrote in message <36F71A...@home.com>...
>Cathleen wrote:

[ concerning a homemade Slip'n'slide with heavy-duty plastic, garden hose
and Ivory soap ]

>!!! Oh, *my*!!!
>
>I missed that on the first go-round...wow! More's the pity! That sounds
>like a *blast*. Just imagine the possibilities if you throw a bottle of
>b*by oil into the mix. Or better yet, canola oil...it smells *much*
>better!
>
><BIG CHESHIRE-CAT GRIN!!>
>
>Okay, whoever offered Slip n Slide up for the Official Rant n' Storm
>Breeder-Buster Send-'Em-Running Block Party, BRING IT! BRING IT! BRING
>IT!!!!

I agree there!

Slip'n'slide, adult size.

The one they sold was VERY tiny anyways---a mere 12 feet or so. Even
for sprog, that isn't too big.

Now a 40-80 foot one would be a BLAST!

Just make sure to end it on GRASS.

Chris Petit

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99

lorz wrote in message <36F74858...@teleport.com>...

>So I gather from these posts that they've stopped making slip n'slides?
What
>is this world coming to? Sounds to me like some of the young wipper
snappers
>of this newsgroup haven't even heard of it! Oh my.
>
>Laura.

They stopped making it for the same reason a lot of OTHER fun toys were
stopped:

Stupid breeder's Golden Sprog got hurt and its handler sued. Path of
least resistance is to take it off the market.

I think stupidity should be a crime!

Chris Petit

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99

lorz wrote in message <36F747B0...@teleport.com>...
>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Chris Petit wrote:
>
>> lorz wrote

[ concerning how Jas's cul-de-sac is a sprog playground; why don't WE take
it over then? ]

>> >Hey, great idea! Can we all come over and play? I'll bring the slip
>> n'slide!
>>

>> Sounds good to me, Laura! :-)
>>
>> I'll bring the volleyball and net. They won't mind if I bring a
>> jackhammer and put some small holes in the street to put the net in,
right?

>Hey, anything that'll trip the little street hockey brats is fine by me!
:-)

That's a good side effect I never thought of.

I really hate how most modern sprog insist on "challenging" anyone who
DARES interrupt THEIR precious playtime---by driving down the street.

More than once, a thought train went through my head like this:

One good squeeze of the gas pedal and...but then again, I'd lose my
license, get thrown in prison...nah, not worth it.

Cheryl M Greer

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
In article <36F6CD...@cadvision.com>,

Jas <pol...@mudbugs.cadvision.com> wrote:

>Ya know what, Cheryl? That's an *awesome* idea. Not only are ALL of my
>friends CF but most of them can be exceedingly loud and obnoxious on
>demand. And since I live in farming country, many of them are very very
>large indeed. And not a one of them gives a fig what anybody else thinks
>of them.
>
>And since most of them are in the SCA, they pretty well all have their
>own armour (complete with full horsetails hanging off their helms) as
>well as assorted 'weaponry': broadswords, polearms, battle-axes, rattan
>poles...you name it.
>

>Bring yer wiffle bats, darlin'! I'll supply the beer!

OOH, I'm there! heh.
I'd love to meet these friends of yours..I could use some friends like
that! I'll start practicing my dueling moves and sound effects. :)

Cheryl
*breathe* your powers are weak, Old Man *breathe*

dph...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
In article <MgCJ2.5712$DM5....@news.rdc1.ct.home.com>,

"Chris Petit" <blue...@nothome.com.all> wrote:

> Cathleen wrote in message ...

> >n'slide!
> >>
> >> <Jas' ears perk up>
> >>
> >> 'Slip n'slide'? What, pray tell, is that? If it's as fun as it sounds,
> >> bring it, bring it, by all means!
> >>
> >> Jas
> >> (everything's a toy)
> >
> >Well, I wasn't the one who mentioned it but I have to jump in or, more
> >appropriately, "on"! They used to sell these manufactured by Hasbro or
> >Mattel or some-such but the best ones were home-made. I had lots of older
> >cousins who were very resourceful (different generations!). Anyway, they
> >would take a roll of very heavy duty plastic (1/8-1/4" thick), roll it out
> >about 40 feet long, position the hose at one end on full blast and then,
> >the pièce de resistance!, squirt Ivory soap on the plastic to make the
> >death runs even faster! God, that brings back memories :)
>
> Sounds like a LOT of fun to me! :-)

They were fun. I saw a 'news magazine' show a few years ago that
mentioned all the neck injuries they caused too.

I really can't understand how I survived my childhood. We used
to emulate Evel Knievel by jumping our bikes over milk crates
and _intentionally_ wipe out. Used to chip-in a quarter each to
give to the boy who had the best crash.

--dph.

(preferred email: dhayes AT iname DOT com)

Jas

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
robin wrote:

> You have more patience than I do, Jas...
>
> If anybody other than the Official Holy School Crossing Guard had done
> that to me, I would have sat there and laid on the horn until everybody
> within earshot had come out of their house...
>
> dit - dit - dit - dah - dah - dah - dit - dit - dit

Robin, I have *no* patience, and I'm not known for suffering fools
gladly. It's just that I'm usually so stunned by the audacity that I go
into slack-jawed brainlock for a moment or two. What's the Morse for
"Get the fuck out of my way you brainless breeder cow"?

> btw, do they close down the streets with steep hills for sled riding out
> there?

Nope. We've got enough hills all around the city that we don't need to.
But they *could*...except for main roads, the streets here aren't plowed
or even sanded in the winter.

Jas

RxAmy

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
>> btw, do they close down the streets with steep hills for sled riding out
>> there?
>
>Nope. We've got enough hills all around the city that we don't need to.
>But they *could*...except for main roads, the streets here aren't plowed
>or even sanded in the winter.
>
>Jas

I have a sledsprog story. A couple of years ago, there was a big stink in this
area regarding three stupid kiddies and a sledding accident. The three brats
were sliding down a hilly street one evening just after a snowfall, and went
right out into a crossroad in front of a plow-equipped pickup. The driver was
moving very slowly because of icy roads, so the sproggen weren't too damaged -
I believe the oldest, a female around 8, had a broken leg, and the other two,
both younger males, were bruised up. The Breederparents pitched a fit, of
course, screaming about how the driver was "negligent" for smacking into the
little brats and the city was "negligent" for not sanding the roads properly,
and therefore for "inviting" the kiddies to slide on the streets. They
retained a lawyer and began to threaten lawsuits.

Bad move on the breeders' part. The city and the company which employed the
driver began to look into this, with an eye towards countersuits. It turned
out that:

- The police had been on that same road on four separate occasions that same
day to warn those same brats to stay out of the road, and had visited the
parents on two of those occasions.

- The neighbors on the street had warned the sproggen to get out of the road a
few minutes before the incident, as dusk was setting in, and were told to "go
fuck themselves" by these little angels.

- These kids had a rather long history of police warnings regarding unsafe
play, and Mommmeee and Dadddeee had been visited repeatedly by the police in
the past.

- The driver had been going a whopping ten miles per hour because of slippery
road conditions (they had claimed he was driving "recklessly").

- Mommmeee and Dadddee had attempted to initiate a lawsuit for harassment
against the city in the past because of said multiple warnings to the kiddies,
and had said that someday they would "get even" with the city.

The city and the employers of the driver retained their own lawyers, as did the
driver himself, and all three parties threatened to countersue the
breederparents. It was amazing how quickly the screaming breeders were
silenced! I heard that the employers agreed to pay basic medical expenses, but
only on the condition that Mommmeee and Dadddeee drop all plans to sue. Chalk
one up for society!

RxAmy

A monkey never thinks her baby's ugly... Haitian Proverb
May the curse of Mary Malone and her nine blind illegitimate children chase you
so far over the hills of Damnation that the Lord himself can't find you with a
telescope - Traditional Irish curse

Jas

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
Dawn Draheim wrote:

> Jas!! I'm the SCA too. OK, who else out there is too? :)
>
> Dawn Draheim, living in the Barony of the Steppes, Ansteorra
> d...@cyberramp.net

Robin, who also posts here, was suggesting that we have a CF
get-together at Pennsic...sounds like a good idea, and I'm thinking we
should do the same thing at Clinton.

Jas
(Siobhan Badangel the Irreverent)

Lynn Tucker

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99
I'm sure I saw ads for Crocodile Mile last summer. Don't tell me it's
been taken off the market, too????

Lynn
horrified

Jim

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99

RxAmy wrote:
> [snip story of stupid sprog and breeders]

> The city and the employers of the driver retained their own lawyers, as did the
> driver himself, and all three parties threatened to countersue the
> breederparents. It was amazing how quickly the screaming breeders were
> silenced! I heard that the employers agreed to pay basic medical expenses, but
> only on the condition that Mommmeee and Dadddeee drop all plans to sue. Chalk
> one up for society!
>
> RxAmy

No, that's only a partial victory for society. A full victory would be
having the breeders be responsible for the medical bills and the legal
bills of the city, the employers, and the driver.

Jim

Jim

Mar 23, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/23/99

Chris Petit wrote:

> I'll bring the volleyball and net. They won't mind if I bring a
> jackhammer and put some small holes in the street to put the net in,
right?

Playing volleyball on asphalt? Sacrilege. The only way to play
volleyball outside is on sand. You dig out the court space, and I'll
bring a load of sand along with the truck mounted barbecue.

Jim - probably have that much in the floor mats of the car.

Chris Petit

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99

Jim wrote in message <36F810A7...@cybercomm.net>...

>Chris Petit wrote:
>>
>> I'll bring the volleyball and net. They won't mind if I bring a
>> jackhammer and put some small holes in the street to put the net in,
>right?
>
>Playing volleyball on asphalt? Sacrilege. The only way to play
>volleyball outside is on sand. You dig out the court space, and I'll
>bring a load of sand along with the truck mounted barbecue.

Sounds good to me. We'll be sure to leave "treats" for the sprog to
eat. I wonder how cyanide tastes when sprinkled on chocolate ice cream...

Dawn Draheim

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
Jas wrote in message <36F7D1...@home.com>...
>Dawn Draheim wrote:
>>
>> Jas!! I'm in the SCA too. OK, who else out there is too? :)

>> Dawn Draheim, living in the Barony of the Steppes, Ansteorra
>> d...@cyberramp.net
>
>Robin, who also posts here, was suggesting that we have a CF
>get-together at Pennsic...sounds like a good idea, and I'm thinking we
>should do the same thing at Clinton.
>
>Jas
>(Siobhan Badangel the Irreverent)

I've never made it out to Pennsic (looooong trip from Dallas!) but I go
to Gulf Wars fairly often.... What is Clinton? (or 'where'...)

Dawn Draheim (Lasair ni Fhionnualann)
d...@cyberramp.net

Jas

Mar 24, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/24/99
Dawn Draheim wrote:

> I've never made it out to Pennsic (looooong trip from Dallas!) but I go
> to Gulf Wars fairly often.... What is Clinton? (or 'where'...)

Big war in the west...Clinton, B.C., to be exact. It's the West's answer
to Pennsic since, due to the distances involved, a lot of us can't make
it to Pennsic; it's considered a 'pilgrimage' if you go! Clinton is held
the first week in August, I believe.

Jas
(spin-headed trying to sort out war dates and tourney dates and
investitures coronations ithras and other fun stuff dates)

Sharon Molloy

Mar 25, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/25/99

Good to see someone stand by the *real* helpless ones in this situation.

The people I feel the most for when this kind of situation gets in the
news are the drivers of the vehicles involved.

Nobody I ever heard of ever set out on the road with the express intention
of hitting, injuring or killing somebody else. But normally when a sprog
tries to occupy the same space as a car, the poor driver immediately gets
painted by the media as some kind of four wheeled Red Baron racking up the
hatch marks on his or her body work for every brat ending up as a hood
ornament.

_/\/\_
Sharon

On 23 Mar 1999, RxAmy wrote:

> I have a sledsprog story. A couple of years ago, there was a big stink in this
> area regarding three stupid kiddies and a sledding accident. The three brats
> were sliding down a hilly street one evening just after a snowfall, and went
> right out into a crossroad in front of a plow-equipped pickup. The driver was
> moving very slowly because of icy roads, so the sproggen weren't too damaged -
> I believe the oldest, a female around 8, had a broken leg, and the other two,
> both younger males, were bruised up. The Breederparents pitched a fit, of
> course, screaming about how the driver was "negligent" for smacking into the
> little brats and the city was "negligent" for not sanding the roads properly,
> and therefore for "inviting" the kiddies to slide on the streets. They
> retained a lawyer and began to threaten lawsuits.
>
> Bad move on the breeders' part. The city and the company which employed the
> driver began to look into this, with an eye towards countersuits. It turned
> out that:

<snip darling innocent little angels' monkeyshines; driver going all of 10
mph at the time the little shitfucks *finally* got theirs.>

cassia...@my-dejanews.com

Mar 26, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/26/99

>From: Sharon Molloy <an...@chebucto.ns.ca>

>Good to see someone stand by the *real* helpless ones in this situation.
>The people I feel the most for when this kind of situation gets in the
>news are the drivers of the vehicles involved.
>Nobody I ever heard of ever set out on the road with the express intention
>of hitting, injuring or killing somebody else. But normally when a sprog
>tries to occupy the same space as a car, the poor driver immediately gets
>painted by the media as some kind of four wheeled Red Baron racking up the
>hatch marks on his or her body work for every brat ending up as a hood
>ornament.

Cassia writes:

I had a sprogg do a direct 90 degree turn from a parking lot, across in front
of my car. He just brushed my bumper at about 30km/h. I sought out the
parents in that neighbourhood, getting many many stories of similar incidents
caused by sprogg. When I told the parents, Mommeee screamed and yelled at me.
Dad seemed rational so I confirmed that they had many warnings before and I
said we were one inch from discussing the child's death. Mommmeeee then
screamed that I was going to fast. I said "30 km/hr in a 60 km/hr zone?"
"Were the other 25 people who reported to you going too fast too?"

I had several nightmares after that of the impact of hitting that kid.

The couple were divorced soon after that.

IleneB

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99
Somebody's rocket science boyfriend (people in their 30s) in the town
next to mine hit the headlines this week. The boyfriend took the
girlfriend's kid (a boy about 8) down to the commuter train tracks to
show him how to jump a freight train. Rocket Science jumps a boxcar,
jumps off, and urges the kid to try it. Kid tries it, fails, and loses
a leg.
Today's paper said that the conductor of the train, although not at
fault *in any way* (didn't even know it happened until the train
returned to the yard) was taken by police to a psychiatric hospital
yesterday after barricading himself in his home with shotguns and
saying he was going to kill himself for having hurt the kid.
And yet, property values still soar in Ayer, Massachusetts. Go figure.
(Must be that great proximity to the commuter train!)
True story, all of it.
Ilene B

Gutterboy1

Mar 27, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/27/99
Wrote Ilene:

>Somebody's rocket science boyfriend (people in their 30s) in the town
>next to mine hit the headlines this week. The boyfriend took the
>girlfriend's kid (a boy about 8) down to the commuter train tracks to
>show him how to jump a freight train. Rocket Science jumps a boxcar,
>jumps off, and urges the kid to try it. Kid tries it, fails, and loses
>a leg.
>Today's paper said that the conductor of the train, although not at
>fault *in any way* (didn't even know it happened until the train
>returned to the yard) was taken by police to a psychiatric hospital
>yesterday after barricading himself in his home with shotguns and
>saying he was going to kill himself for having hurt the kid.

You're KIDDING. We'll call Mr. Conductor "Rocket Science II."

Are you among the paragons of mercy who will be tending to his bruised psyche?

Gutterboy

IleneB

Mar 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM3/28/99
Gosh, no. He must've had insurance and went somewhere civilized.
Ilene B