XPOT: Sad news (pet content)

1 view

Noelle

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have sad
news to relate.

Munch is dead.

Around 3:30 this morning, Shawn and I woke up to the sound of Oscar and
Munch fighting under the bed. We shooed Munch out of the bedroom and closed
the door, leaving Oscar and Niko in the bedroom with us. I lay awake for
about an hour, thinking about how I was going to separate Oscar and Munch on
a more permanent basis. I couldn't sleep, so I got up to do laundry and come
upstairs and get online. As I walked through the living room, I saw Munch
curled up in the recliner like he usually does at night. I didn't think
anything about it.

I came back downstairs to get a glass of water, and when he didn't respond
to me walking by (he's always been a light sleeper and very jumpy), I
checked on him. His eyes were open and glazing. I picked him up, and he was
cold, dead weight, and his head fell back. I woke Shawn up and asked him to
double check. He clapped his hands hard next to Munch's head. No reaction.
We sat there for the next 30 minutes or so, watching him, me crying my eyes
out.

I think he got overexcited and his heart gave out (he's had a heart murmur
since birth). Dr. Rainey warned me years ago that this kind of thing might
happen some day, so it's not as much of a shock as it might have otherwise
been. Shawn asked me if I thought Munch might have gotten into something,
but Munch didn't have any discharge around his mouth or any sign that he had
been poisoned, and I can't think of anything that he would get into that
would act that quickly. Anyway, I don't typically leave poisonous substances
lying around, not with so many cats. He hadn't shown any signs of illness
recently other than the erratic behavior the last couple of weeks
(especially the last couple of days, including biting me), which makes me
wonder if he had some sort of stroke or embolism. There's no way I'll ever
know, short of having Dr. Rainey do an autopsy, and I don't think I can
stand to do that. The other cats are fine. Strangely, they wouldn't even
look at his body, not even Gypsy, his sister, but she never had that much to
do with him to begin with.

We wrapped him up in a towel and put him in the garage for now. We don't
even have a shovel, and Shawn is concerned that other animals might dig him
up anyway. We have no idea what the laws are in town regarding disposing of
a dead animal. God, that sounds so awful. I'm going to call the vet when he
opens and ask him what I should do. Or should I call the city? I have no
idea what to do.

I held him for a long time and felt his body grow colder and colder, and at
the same time I could not help but realize that this was the most I had ever
gotten to touch him. As much as I loved him, I could never give him what he
needed.

I can't express how awful I feel right now. I found myself wishing the other
day that we had never even had him, and I've never felt that way about any
cat before. And now...this happens.

--
*************
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape

Virginia

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00

Noelle wrote:

> To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have sad
> news to relate.
>
> Munch is dead.

Noelle, how terrible! I'm so sorry to hear about Munch -- cyber hug for you
from me and the kitties ...

va:(

Peggy Currid

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
Noelle <gno...@fastlane.net> wrote:
>To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have sad
>news to relate.
>
>Munch is dead.

Deepest condolences. I've always followed your posts about Munch with
interest because, as you might recall, I have a kitty named Munch.

[horrible discovery]

>(especially the last couple of days, including biting me), which makes me
>wonder if he had some sort of stroke or embolism. There's no way I'll ever
>know, short of having Dr. Rainey do an autopsy, and I don't think I can
>stand to do that. The other cats are fine. Strangely, they wouldn't even

If you think an autopsy would give you some answers (and some ultimate
peace of mind), you should go ahead with it. At this point, Munch is in
that great spiritworld where kitties go, and her body is just an empty
vessel (well, that's what I believe anyway).

When my Bailey died a few years ago, the vet asked if they could perform
an autopsy (it was a vet med research hospital) and I said yes. We already
knew the cause of death -- cancer -- but I gave the okay because the
cancer was rare and I felt that the autopsy might give the vets more info
about the disease and its pathology -- which might help them eventually
find a cure to help other animals.

>We wrapped him up in a towel and put him in the garage for now. We don't
>even have a shovel, and Shawn is concerned that other animals might dig him
>up anyway. We have no idea what the laws are in town regarding disposing of
>a dead animal. God, that sounds so awful. I'm going to call the vet when he
>opens and ask him what I should do. Or should I call the city? I have no
>idea what to do.

Don't call the city. Quite of few have ordinances against burying animals
and if you call them to ask, they might keep an eye on you because they
know that many people do it anyway. Your vet will know what to do about
the disposal and can give you some options.

You might want to consider cremation and keeping the remains. I had Bailey
cremated and now have a little urn on my shelf. IIRC, though, it cost me
$85 for cremation.

>I held him for a long time and felt his body grow colder and colder, and at
>the same time I could not help but realize that this was the most I had ever
>gotten to touch him. As much as I loved him, I could never give him what he
>needed.

As much as we humans love our animals, there's only so much we can do for
them. We can keep them safely indoors (or on a leash when outside), get
them the best medical care offered, and still an accident or disease can
take them from us. Don't feel like your efforts were inadequate. Life is
cruelly unpredictable.

>I can't express how awful I feel right now. I found myself wishing the other
>day that we had never even had him, and I've never felt that way about any
>cat before. And now...this happens.

I do know just how you feel, if anything ever happened to my Munch or
Neek, I will be beyond consolation. Yet, I know someday I must face the
very thing I fear most. It frightens me.

Much love from Peggy, Munch, and Neek

Monica

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
Noelle (and Shawn),

I'm soooo sorry about Munch. My deepest sympathies.

-Monica L.

stil...@my-deja.com

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
I'm so very sorry about Munch.
-S5

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Jennifer Landry

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 06:38:32 CST, in alt.support.childfree you wrote:

>To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have sad
>news to relate.
>
>Munch is dead.

Oh how awful for you Noelle {{{{Noelle and Shawn}}}}

>Around 3:30 this morning, Shawn and I woke up to the sound of Oscar and
>Munch fighting under the bed.
>

>I came back downstairs to get a glass of water, and when he didn't respond
>to me walking by (he's always been a light sleeper and very jumpy), I
>checked on him. His eyes were open and glazing. I picked him up, and he was
>cold, dead weight, and his head fell back. I woke Shawn up and asked him to
>double check. He clapped his hands hard next to Munch's head. No reaction.
>We sat there for the next 30 minutes or so, watching him, me crying my eyes
>out.

> He hadn't shown any signs of illness
>recently other than the erratic behavior the last couple of weeks

>(especially the last couple of days, including biting me), which makes me
>wonder if he had some sort of stroke or embolism.

Very possible. Also, he may have had a brain tumour or perhaps he was
having a series of mini strokes leading up to a big one and that is
why his personality deteriorated so quickly. Poor kitty.

>We wrapped him up in a towel and put him in the garage for now. We don't
>even have a shovel, and Shawn is concerned that other animals might dig him
>up anyway. We have no idea what the laws are in town regarding disposing of
>a dead animal. God, that sounds so awful. I'm going to call the vet when he
>opens and ask him what I should do. Or should I call the city? I have no
>idea what to do.

Call your vet. He will take care of Munch for you, you can have him
cremated and have the ashes returned to you if you like.

>I held him for a long time and felt his body grow colder and colder, and at
>the same time I could not help but realize that this was the most I had ever
>gotten to touch him. As much as I loved him, I could never give him what he
>needed.
>

>I can't express how awful I feel right now. I found myself wishing the other
>day that we had never even had him, and I've never felt that way about any
>cat before. And now...this happens.

NOT YOUR FAULT NOELLE! When animals are being difficult, we all have
times when we wish we could take a break from thier needs. This is
purely an accident of bad timing. You did the best you could for the
poor guy, who was never right in the head, and now he is in a better
place. Please try to not beat yourself up. It isn't what he would
want. When you feel up to it, visit http://www.petloss.com , it is a
very helpful site.

Jennifer, choosing a candle for Munch.

Jennifer Landry -- http://www.gis.net/~dlandry1
mailto:jdla...@mail2.gis.net
"Friends don't let friends breed"
CF+++(<--want!!) TK++ TPI++ A++

lady_s...@my-deja.com

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00

My condolences on the loss of Munch...my kitties and I are thinking of
you...

lady sionnach

WendyK

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
I'm so sorry, Noelle.

Veronique

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
In article <xOwN5.1720$T6.7...@feed.centurytel.net>,

> [...]

> do with him to begin with.
>
> We wrapped him up in a towel and put him in the garage for now. We don't
> even have a shovel, and Shawn is concerned that other animals might dig him
> up anyway. We have no idea what the laws are in town regarding disposing of
> a dead animal. God, that sounds so awful. I'm going to call the vet when he
> opens and ask him what I should do. Or should I call the city? I have no
> idea what to do.
>
> I held him for a long time and felt his body grow colder and colder, and at
> the same time I could not help but realize that this was the most I had ever
> gotten to touch him. As much as I loved him, I could never give him what he
> needed.
>
> I can't express how awful I feel right now. I found myself wishing the other
> day that we had never even had him, and I've never felt that way about any

Noelle, you are an exemplary cat mother. The timing may be painfully
karmic, but you gave him a wonderful home, a home that he had the best
life he could have had. There is something so awful about finding your
kitty dead; it happened to one of my mother's cats when my sister and I
were still living at home. She came out of her bedroom to find Chester
dead in the hall, apparently of a heart attack. And I felt terribly
guilty, as I'd been having some altercations with Chester's spraying my
books and other anti-social habits. When my sister expressed regret at
not being with him when he died, someone said, "You couldn't have done
anything." And she said a very wise thing, she said, "Yes but I could
have been with him."

Munch was a very unusual cat. It's thin comfort now, but you gave him as
much love as he could handle, and more understanding than even that.

My sympathies,
V.
--
Veronique Chez Sheep
Love will get you like a

Veronique

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
cur...@staff.uiuc.edu (Peggy Currid) wrote:
> Noelle <gno...@fastlane.net> wrote:
> >To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have sad
> >news to relate.
> >
> >Munch is dead.

[...]

> >We wrapped him up in a towel and put him in the garage for now. We don't
> >even have a shovel, and Shawn is concerned that other animals might dig him
> >up anyway. We have no idea what the laws are in town regarding disposing of
> >a dead animal. God, that sounds so awful. I'm going to call the vet when he
> >opens and ask him what I should do. Or should I call the city? I have no
> >idea what to do.
>

> Don't call the city. Quite of few have ordinances against burying animals
> and if you call them to ask, they might keep an eye on you because they
> know that many people do it anyway. Your vet will know what to do about
> the disposal and can give you some options.
>
> You might want to consider cremation and keeping the remains. I had Bailey
> cremated and now have a little urn on my shelf. IIRC, though, it cost me
> $85 for cremation.

I opted for cremation when my two old kitties died, despite the expense.
I would have preferred to bury them, but since I didn't own property and
(as it happened) my two closest friends were selling their houses and
moving, I couldn't think of a suitably permanent place to bury them that
I could visit on an on-going basis. One is in a wooden box inlaid with a
cat that looks very like him; the other is still in the original
cardboard box that came back wrapped with dried flowers. And they reside
on the Dead Cat Memorial Shelf, with photographs and other cat things.

The vet I worked for would take care of the remains if her clients
weren't able or did not want to bury or cremate them. Also the local
Humane Society may be able to help you.

Debbie the Gruesome

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00

Oh Noelle, I am so sorry to hear about Munch's loss. Take
care of yourself and do not feel guilty - you gave him a good home.

Hugs,
---
Debbie the Gruesome d...@drizzle.com
"Poodles are space aliens who think they've disguised
themselves as dogs." - Paghat the Ratgirl
http://www.drizzle.com/~das

WendyK

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
I'm so very, very sorry, Noelle.

Teye

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
>Not a good weekend for the cat lovers on the groups...

No it's not... Noelle and Shaun, very sorry to hear about Munch. Maureen in
OH.

Mimp

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
In article <xOwN5.1720$T6.7...@feed.centurytel.net>, "Noelle" says...

>To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have sad
>news to relate.

>I can't express how awful I feel right now. I found myself wishing the other

>day that we had never even had him, and I've never felt that way about any
>cat before. And now...this happens.

Oh that's awful, I'm sorry...condolences from me & my ferrets.

Mimp

Hilary

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
In article <8u6ht2$akj$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,

Veronique <veroniq...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> cur...@staff.uiuc.edu (Peggy Currid) wrote:
> > Noelle <gno...@fastlane.net> wrote:
> > >To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but
I have sad
> > >news to relate.
> > >
> Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
> Before you buy.

Noelle, I'm so sorry. It sucks when you love them so much, but would
you really want it any other way?

I've always opted for cremation, but lately I've not requested the
ashes back. We used to bury the ashes in the "back 40" with a little
marker, but we've had so many cats over the years, it's getting a
little weird, and quite crowded. Now I just say goodbye at the vet's
office, and I've found that easier for me. I hope you're able to find
your own best solution.
--
A woman without a child is like a fish without a bicycle.

FingeringMyself

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 07:58:55 CST, stil...@my-deja.com wrote:

>I'm so very sorry about Munch.
>-S5
>

>Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
>Before you buy.

So did you cook the cat and serve it for dinner that night

John & Mari Morgan

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
On Mon, 6 Nov 2000 06:38:32 CST, "Noelle" <gno...@fastlane.net>
wrote:

>To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have sad
>news to relate.
>
>Munch is dead.

I've lit a candle for Munch, and for Debbie's KC.

Although the battle has been hard for you and Munch, I am glad (that's
not quite the right word but it's the closest I can get) that it could
end as peacefully and easily as it did. Perhaps the Great Whatever
heard your pleas for help and chose to keep you or little Munch from
having to go through all of that the best way It knew how.

Mari

IleneB

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00

Another thought. Noelle, you seemed to feel a bit hurt (?) that the
other cats didn't notice him being gone. Well, they know he's gone.
They feel it, or smell it, or whatever. And likely they have no cat
needs to go over to the body or anything. It's not like a human thing,
where they "don't care" or something.

I winced a bit when you mentioned that holding him in death was the
closest you've gotten. My dog Kona doesn't care for affection, and he's
happy that way. It's my need to have an affectionate dog that is at
issue. *He's* fine without it. And when his brother was very ill once,
he did go over to Kiko, drop a toy nearby and nudge him, where he would
usually knock Kiko around. Kiko didn't respond, so Kona sort of
shrugged and went about his business. He knew Kiko was sick, so
therefore Kiko wasn't much fun, and knocking him around wouldn't be
much fun. I think the animals are pretty pragmatic about these things.

And anyway, living in a home with animals, everyone is close, whether
or not you are physically affectionate. It's a home for all, as it was
for Munch.

Ilene B

In article <MPG.14706b5e3...@news.drizzle.com>, Debbie the

DeForest76

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
My deepest, heartfelt sympathies go out to you and your family. I know that
it's so very difficult to have something like this happen to our furbabies.
But you were the best "Mom" you could possibly be....and I'm sure Munch
appreciated it, even though he may not have always shown it.

Years ago, when I had to have my beloved little Chihuahua mix named Petunia put
down due to old age and congestive heart failure.....I opted for cremation. I
just couldn't bear to leave her someplace alone. I got her ashes back and she
is now with me, even today.....on my dresser in my bedroom...surrounded with
her photos and her collar and tags. I see her every day..........and I know
that if and when the time comes for me to move out of this house, she will be
going with me. Someday......when it is my time to move on to the great
beyond.....she will be buried with me.

But....you have to search your heart and do what you feel is best and right for
you. And know that whatever choice you make.....Munch will be waiting for you
at the Bridge, to be reunited with you someday when the time is right.

Will keep you and Munch in my good thoughts and prayers.

Take care
Laura
De76

Barracuda Grrl

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00

My heart goes out to you and your surviving kitties, Noelle... how very
sad.

Susan

"Noelle" <gno...@fastlane.net> wrote in message

> To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have
sad
> news to relate.
>
> Munch is dead.
>

> We wrapped him up in a towel and put him in the garage for now. We don't
> even have a shovel, and Shawn is concerned that other animals might dig
him
> up anyway. We have no idea what the laws are in town regarding disposing
of
> a dead animal. God, that sounds so awful. I'm going to call the vet when
he
> opens and ask him what I should do. Or should I call the city? I have no
> idea what to do.
>

> I held him for a long time and felt his body grow colder and colder, and
at
> the same time I could not help but realize that this was the most I had
ever
> gotten to touch him. As much as I loved him, I could never give him what
he
> needed.
>

> I can't express how awful I feel right now. I found myself wishing the
other
> day that we had never even had him, and I've never felt that way about any
> cat before. And now...this happens.

donnab...@my-deja.com

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00

>Not a good weekend for the cat lovers on the groups...

Condolences from the zoo here, especially Duchess "the feline Holstein"
who is *highly* perturbed about being put on a diet....

db
and the menagerie

CatWoman

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
Oh no.

I don't know if this will help, but a woman on my
cat mailing list lost her champion Maine Coon cat
just as suddenly a couple of months ago. Atticus
actually died in her lap. He had what appeared to
be a siezure, and that was it.

Because he was a purebred, they did do an autopsy.
He turned out to have a hidden case of hypertropic
cardiomyopathy (HCM). Apparently when cats have
this, one thing that can happen is blood clots -
which can lead to sudden death as they do in
humans.

Since you say Munch had a heart murmer, it sounds
that he had the same thing. Atticus was 3 years
old, so age was not a factor.

If it is any consolation, from Faye's description
of what happened to Atticus, Munch was never in
any pain, or scared, or anything - it was too sudden.

Hugs,

Diana

Shapieron2

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
To me,it is ALWAYS a sad thing when one looses a pet..I cried like a baby when
we lost our Greyhound...Pets are part of a family..so to you Noelle,I offer my
heartfelt condolonces..>

>I can't express how awful I feel right now. I found myself wishing the other
>day that we had never even had him, and I've never felt that way about any
>cat before. And now...this happens.

John...
Get your filthy paws off me,you damned dirty sprog!!!

Paul M. Cook

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
Noelle,

You gave Munch a warm and loving home. He was a different cat, that is
certain. Perhaps a soul too tender for this world. You did everything you
could for him and know he is in a good place, waiting for you. He passed at
home, in peace and without pain. Sometimes the small mercies are all we
have. I have always liked this poem.

I am Not There

Do not stand at my grave and weep;
I am not there. I do not sleep.
I am a thousand winds that blow.
I am the diamond glints on snow.
I am the sunlight on ripened grain.
I am the gentle autumn's rain.
When you awaken in the morning's hush,
I am the swift uplifting rush
of quiet birds in circled flight.
I am the soft stars that shine at night.
Do not stand at my grave and cry;
I am not there, I did not die

Author unknown

Kindest regards,
Paul

Lizzie

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
Noelle <gno...@fastlane.net> wrote in article
<xOwN5.1720$T6.7...@feed.centurytel.net>...

> To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have
sad
> news to relate.
>
> Munch is dead.

Noelle, I'm so sorry. This must be very hard, especially after all the
difficulties you've had with him. It's almost like watching a mentally ill
family member self-destruct...
Hopefully he's at peace and healthy now.

Liz

hugacat

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
Noelle, I'm so sorry -- I just started catching up on posts and am already
in tears seeing all the sad kitty news. My deepest condolences and
{{{hugs}}} ...

Christine

Noelle

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
I don't think I can bear to do this more than once, so...I want to thank
everyone who wrote to me, privately and publicly. Your words have helped me
more than I can say. Whether you have experienced what I have gone through
and have offered empathy, or you've just offered condolences because you're
all such wonderful people and we support each other, THANK YOU ALL.

After I posted the news early this morning, I waited until 8 am and called
the vet's office. They agreed with me that it was probably his heart
condition that caused his death. They were very kind and expressed their
sympathy to me, and suggested that I call the city pound, where I could have
him cremated.

I asked Shawn to take me. I didn't think that I could do it alone. When we
got there, there was an older woman in the front office, with a box that
apparently contained her dog. The receptionist asked me, "Oh, are you just
here to look around?" I had forgotten, in that stricken instant, that people
go to the pound to adopt animals as well. I told her why I was there, and
she told us to drive around to the side of the building. She asked if I
wanted to keep the ashes. That was something I hadn't even considered, and I
felt what little composureI had built up beginning to crumble. While she
went to get change for me, the older woman said, "It's never easy, is it?"

When the receptionist came back, I told her I was sorry, but I was going to
have to ask her to repeat the directions. They had faded from my memory
instantly. The older woman and I left the building together, and she turned
to me and said, "Is there anything I can do for you?" Wonderful lady, I'm so
sorry. I couldn't even speak, just shook my head.

I went to the car and told Shawn that I had forgotten the directions again,
and could he go back and ask the receptionist? He did, and we drove around
to the side of the building. There was a gate with a sign indicating that
all cremations must be in plastic bags. That was when I started crying
really hard again. There was something so cold, so...disposable about the
whole business. Shawn told me to stay in the car. He handed Munch over to
the woman animal control officer who was there. I did not ask to keep the
ashes. At the time, I couldn't see what possible good it would do to have
something around that would remind me of what an awful failure I felt like.
Maybe it would have given me better closure, I don't know. At the time, I
just felt that I had thrown him away, and I cried all the way home.

Almost immediately after we got home, Oscar came out, and the change in his
personality was remarkable. He still seemed wary, looking to see if Munch
was still going to jump out and ambush him, but he was friendlier and bolder
than I'd seen him act in days. I tried to grasp that as the small silver
lining in this sad cloud. I called my mother, who was over at my
grandmother's house, and told her what had happened. She praised Shawn as a
good guy for being there for me, and said she knew how hard this had been
for me. She asked me if I wanted to speak to my grandmother (who had called
my mother this morning at 3 am, asking for painkillers), and I tried to
regain some composure before Maw Maw got on the phone. It wasn't that I
thought that Maw Maw would be necessarily so upset that my cat had died, but
if she heard how upset that *I* was, it would trouble her.

I had already emailed the professors for both of my classes today and said
sorry, I won't be in class today, and why. Since I had gotten all of two
hours of sleep last night, I called my friend Jennifer and told her all
about what had happened, and then I slept all day, with ALL FIVE of the
other cats curled up in bed with me. Yes, I think they know what's going on.

Thanks again, all of you, for your kind words. It becomes obvious what kind
and caring people you all are whenever one of us goes through hard times or
loss such as this. Thanks, Jennifer Landry, for the petloss website
suggestion. I knew they existed, but had forgotten. I entered a tribute for
Munch there, as well as updating the "Cats" part of my website. Since I did
not have an autopsy done, and did not ask for the ashes back, this is how I
will have to say goodbye. I may never be able to listen to that "Cat-Shaped
Hole in My Heart" CD again.

RIP, Munchy. I love you, baby.

Hepron

Nov 6, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/6/00
Noelle, I am so sorry, I can't even imagine what you must be going through
right now, and my thoughts are with you. H was a much loved cat, that was
cared for by a very nurturing person. Hd it not been for you, one can only
imagine what kind of existence he might have had. You gave him a good life
and a good home, something you can be proud of.

"Noelle" <gno...@fastlane.net> wrote in message

> To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have
sad
> news to relate.
>
> Munch is dead.
>

> I can't express how awful I feel right now. I found myself wishing the
other
> day that we had never even had him, and I've never felt that way about any
> cat before. And now...this happens.

E l i s e

Nov 6, 2000, 9:28:25 PM11/6/00
wrote:

>To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have sad
>news to relate.

Oh, Noelle, this is terrible! I'm so sorry to hear it. Way too much
of this going around right now. I know you tried so hard to give
Munch a great life.

Elise

Judy

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00

Noelle wrote:
(Snip sad story of Munch)

Noelle, my condolences to you, Shawn, and the other kitties. This was a
tough situation, and I'm sorry it turned out this way.

-Judy

--
Don't say lucky
When you envy me my life

(from www.tumalo.com/haiku.htm)

Abbie F.

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
>From: Jennifer Landry

>Jennifer, choosing a candle for Munch.

I'm also very sad for your loss, Noelle. I think you mentioned before that
Munch was always a little different. Maybe he was only meant to be with you
for a short period of time; just enough to soak up some love and warmth before
it was time to move on. You gave him the best possible home full of
companionship and playful buddies, so he did enjoy his stay.

"Empty brains are easier to wash." - Crabbie Abbie, Sick of Sproggen Who Need
Floggin' ;> CF+, TK++++, TPI++, A++++

Carol Merriam

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
I'm very sorry for you and Shawn, Noelle. That's the worst thing about
pet-friends.
As a cat-loving CF professor, I hope your profs all cut you some slack for
missing classes.

It's been that kind of week for cats. My MIL had to have her 14-year old
Sabrina put down because the tumour in her neck finally was blocking her
esophagus.
"Beanie" was such a nice and cute cat.

--
Film at Eleven

"It is just possible that humanity will continue,
but I will take no responsibility for contributing
to such confusion"
Christopher Morley, "The Man Who Made
Friends With Himself"

>"Noelle" <gno...@fastlane.net> wrote in message

>> To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have
>sad
>> news to relate.
>>

>> Munch is dead.

Amber & Chris McCullough

Nov 7, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/7/00
Virginia wrote:

> Noelle wrote:
>
> > To everyone who offered me advice regarding Munch, thank you, but I have sad
> > news to relate.
> >
> > Munch is dead.
> >

> Noelle, how terrible! I'm so sorry to hear about Munch -- cyber hug for you
> from me and the kitties ...
>
> va:(

I'm sorry too. I'd hoped for a happier ending to his problems.

Amber

BethD

Nov 8, 2000, 3:08:29 AM11/8/00
Noelle, I'm so sorry to hear about Munch! Please rest assured that you did
everything you could for him and you gave him a loving home during his life
time. Our thoughts are with you.

BethD

--
reply to edeland at sisqtel dot thing-you-hit-tennis-balls-over
CF+++, TK++++, TPI++, A++.

Rat & Swan

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
What is a cat if not a circle?
In circles they sleep, stalk and play.
They sit in circles of sunlight,
They circle their paws when they pray.

The day goes around as a cat would,
The sun travels over, around,
Just as the kittens would have it,
Sunrise, to high noon, to sundown.

Munchkin is now in the Circle,
Traveling out and away!
Gone forth the great Night of the cycle,
And left us behind in the Day.

Munch pauses, mid-flight on the circle
The Arc rises high, shining ridge,
For he's reached the Fields of Summer
At the base of the wide Rainbow Bridge.

There he waits until all are assembled,
His friends who will find him and then,
Rejoicing, together, they'll cross it
And the Circle will rotate again.

Stay in the Fields, sweet Munch, and play with the long grass... your
humans will be along soon!

Swan

Noelle

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
Swan,

This is so sweet, and I thank you from the bottom of my heart. When I saw
the lovely poem you wrote for Debbie and K.C., I was hoping that I would
merit one as well, but I was too shy to ask for it. Along with the knowledge
that Munch was never happy or healthy in this life, and I gave him what
small comforts I could, this poem and the sentiments behind it are helping
me to recover from the initial shock and grief of Monday morning's sad
discovery. It was the moment we knew would come one day. Every day he lived
was a borrowed day, considering how close he came to dying immediately after
birth, but following so closely on the heels of the discussions about
whether we should put him to sleep (a point I don't think I could have ever
reached in good conscience), it was especially tragic and guilt-inducing. I
comfort myself with the probability that Munch's death was almost assuredly
less frightening than his life had been to him.

I'm watching Gypsy especially closely. She was Munch's sister, and although
she never had a lot to do with him to begin with, it's hard to gauge whether
she's missing him, but it seems that she has been particularly clingy and
needful of affection this week, which we gladly supply. Oscar continues,
with every day, to regain his formerly happy and playful personality, and
life goes on.

Thank you again, Swan. I'm sure I don't have to tell Rat this, but you're a
treasure, and you show it every time you compose one of these poignant and
eloquent poems for one of us.

"Rat & Swan" <lab...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

K.C. the Dead Cat

Nov 9, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/9/00
Rat & Swan wrote:

> What is a cat if not a circle?

A fucking cat!

The Queen of Cans and Jars

Nov 10, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/10/00
<nas...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> In article <ye2P5.34142$K64.2...@monolith.news.easynet.net>,
> "Fatman" <fat...@dreamtrack.zzn.com> wrote:
> > K.C. the Dead Cat <k...@dead-kitty.org> wrote in message

> > > A fucking cat!
> >

> > You could find out by actually hollowing one out... there's an amazing
> > amount of purple and green squishy things in there.
> >

> Marmalade Jones cried herself to sleep almost every night. Attacked by the
> inversion layer one evening, she drank herself to death.

the effect of gamma rays on ginger from gilligan's island

Fatman

Nov 10, 2000, 9:34:44 PM11/10/00
> Rat & Swan wrote:
> >
> > What is a cat if not a circle?
>
> A fucking cat!

You could find out by actually hollowing one out... there's an amazing
amount of purple and green squishy things in there.

Fatman
--
"I don't care how f***ing runny it is. Hand it over with all speed." - John
Cleese

nas...@worldnet.att.net

Nov 11, 2000, 12:22:57 AM11/11/00
In article <ye2P5.34142$K64.2...@monolith.news.easynet.net>,
"Fatman" <fat...@dreamtrack.zzn.com> wrote:
> K.C. the Dead Cat <k...@dead-kitty.org> wrote in message
> > Rat & Swan wrote:
> > >
> > > What is a cat if not a circle?
> >
> > A fucking cat!
>
> You could find out by actually hollowing one out... there's an amazing
> amount of purple and green squishy things in there.

Marmalade Jones cried herself to sleep almost every night. Attacked by the

inversion layer one evening, she drank herself to death.

Rat & Swan

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Fatman wrote:

Being a teenager and an avid reader in the Sixties and Seventies, I
remember several books I "got hooked on" and read several times.

One was I never Promised You A Rose Garden by Johanna (IIRC) Green. I
also got hooked on The Goddess Queen by Nicole somebody and Valley Of
The Dolls, which got taken away from me in summer camp by a horrified
counselor! *snicker*

What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
mentioned!

Swan

Hepron

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00

"Rat & Swan" wrote
<snip>

I was a TOTAL geek in high schoool, hell who am I kidding I still am. I
would read ALL my books over and over again. Sci-Fi was my bag. I read
Asimov and Heinlein constantly.
The one book that I still have fond memories of is Stephen King's "Skeleton
Crew". When I was in Junior High I would reverse my sleeping schedule. I
would stay up all night and read. There was no one awake to bother me, and I
had the whole house to myself. I was reading the shorts from Skeleton Crew
and was really into it. I remember I had gotten to the short the "Mist" I
was about halfway through it, when I heard this loud bump on my window. I
opened the curtains to see that the night had been swallowed by a dense fog.
It scared the hell out of me. To this day, anytime I am caught out in the
fog, I think about the "Mist".
I still have a majority of my books, but have lost many of them in my many
moves.

Marie Braden

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 10:18:18 -0800, Rat & Swan <lab...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
>memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
>mentioned!

The Bell Jar
I Never Promised You a Rose Garden
Psychotic Reactions and Carburetor Dung
The Outsiders
The Stranger
Candide
Slaves of New York
Less Than Zero

And, yes, I have copies of all of these to this day....not always the
same copy, but...
---
Marie Braden
Bitburg, Germany

CF! TK+ TPI++++ A+

Laurel

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00

>What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
>memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
>mentioned!

Funny, my sister and I were just talking today about books we read as
teenagers. The strangest one for me was probably Hawaii by James Michener,
which I read at about 13. Not that the book is strange, but it's a strange
book for a 13-year-old to be reading. My favorite that I read over and
over again (and still read from time to time) is Little Women. It was one
of the first books I remember reading that had a female main character who
was strong and opinionated.

--
Laurel
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former. -Albert Einstein

Kent

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Rat & Swan contributed:

: What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond

: memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
: mentioned!

All of the Chronicles of Narnia books, especially The Magician's Nephew (I
was actually going to name a "future sprog" DIGORY because of that! Aren't
we all glad I'm CF!); Agatha Christie's _Ten Little Indians_ (I just LOVED
the "one by one they disappear" aspect--no wonder I watched "Survivor"
last summer!); several of the Edward Eager books. Yes, I still have all of
these.

As an adult, I can pick up any ofthe frist 3 in theTales of the City
series for a quick bathroom reread, as well as either of the novels by Joe
Keenan, or a wonderfully funny book I've plugged here before, _Emma Who
Saved My Life_, by Wilton Barnhardt.

Kent

Cranky

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00

> What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
> memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
> mentioned!
>

> Swan>>>

Actually I started reading them when I was about 9 until I was 13, but
anything from Judy Blume.

--
Peace,
Cassie

Anthony J. Bryant

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Rat & Swan wrote:

> What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
> memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
> mentioned!

The Hobbit, LotR, The Making of Star Trek, the entire Hornblower series,
20,000 Leagues Under the Sea, all the Holmes stories, The Great
Escape...

Tony

Unknown

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Since my teens, I have read and reread the entire 5 book epic "The
Belgariad" by David Eddings, every summer.
As he added to it.. I added the new books to my reading list for the
summer. By university, I was rereading the additional 5 books of "The
Mallorean" along with the first set just about every summer.
I would read the 10 book set and along with some other light reading
to break up the story a bit.

I find the incredibly detailed sequence of books a true masterpiece
and never tire of reading it.

Silently Mad

wrote:

>Fatman wrote:
>>
>Being a teenager and an avid reader in the Sixties and Seventies, I
>remember several books I "got hooked on" and read several times.
>
>One was I never Promised You A Rose Garden by Johanna (IIRC) Green. I
>also got hooked on The Goddess Queen by Nicole somebody and Valley Of
>The Dolls, which got taken away from me in summer camp by a horrified
>counselor! *snicker*
>

>What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
>memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
>mentioned!
>

>Swan

----------decode cypher to contact me-------------
silentlymad at hot no mail spam dot calm

Unknown

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Another series I have read and reread is Glen Cook's "Annals of the
Black Company."

Scott Eiler

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
In article <3A0D8D...@pacbell.net>,
the robotic servitors of lab...@pacbell.net
rose up with the following chant:

>What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
>memories of?

"The Moon is a Harsh Mistress", by Robert Heinlein, was my favorite.

>Do you still have it?

Not only did I buy my own copy years later, I still have it on my bookshelf.
Not even my favorite comic books get to go there.

-------- Scott Eiler B{D> -------- http://www.ultranet.com/~seiler

The world is wide, and intelligent thought will readily supply an
unlimited number of well-sounding names which do not enable some mother
to say that her son was killed in an operation called "Bunnyhug".

-- Winston Churchill, from a memorandum of 8 August 1943.

ygrii

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00

>>What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
>>memories of? Do you still have it? >

Well, I wasn't a teenager, I was the tender age of eight. My dad had a copy
of Night of the Living Dead, with a lurid green cover. Ghastly, cheesy
looking dead hands groped through a barricaded window. I HAD to read this
book! The photos in the middle of the book were compelling enough that I
reserved a whole Saturday to read it. Horrors! I was much too young and
impressionable to have read that. The nightmares began immediately, along
with night sweats, and a few accidental bedwettings. To his credit, my dad
warned me the book was quite frightening, but I read it anyway. I guess he
thought the horror was too much of the comic book variety to be genuinely
terrifying, but I was only eight. Yikes. A blurb on the back of the book
called it "a true horror classic." I thought "true" meant IT REALLY
HAPPENED!!! Twenty-five years later I *still* have occasional nightmares
about the living dead.

~ygrii-- What was that noise???

Samantha, A Certain Red-Haired Sprite of Evil

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
Rat & Swan wrote:

>What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond

>memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
>mentioned!

Several I can think of.

Interview With the Vampire
1984
The Shining
Flowers in the Attic (and yes, all the ones that followed)
The Stand
Lost Souls
and a number of other books that I only read once but still loved, like One
Flew Over the Cuckoo's Nest, A Clockwork Orange, and Breakfast of
Champions.

That's all I can think of, and yes, I still have all of them. I read a lot
of cheesy horror. Still do, in fact. :)

As a side question, what was the last book you read that really, really
affected you? I know that it was easy for books to do that when I was
younger but I don't often get so wrapped up in them now. Just finished
Angela's Ashes and its sequel, 'Tis, by Frank McCourt. Absolutely glorious
books. I wish I'd read them sooner. So beautiful. It seems
like they ought to be really depressing but somehow they manage to
be uplifting instead.

--
Samantha
^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^

JesterKat

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
wrote:

>>What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
>>memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
>>mentioned!

Don't recall how old I was when I first read these, but I still reread
Dorothy Sayers's "Gaudy Night" and "Busman's Honeymoon" over and over.
I've posted about "Gaudy Night" here before, and "Busman's Honeymoon"
is, in an odd way, one of the best love stories I've ever read.

I also reread Laura Ingalls Wilder occasionally.... and Madeleine
L'Engle... and Stephen King... and my beloved Spider Robinson, despite
the recent decline in quality... and Tom Robbins... and Charles
DeLint... and... and... and... ye gods, it doesn't stop. Ever. ;-)

---JesterKat

Michelle Martin

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00

> Fatman wrote:
> >
> Being a teenager and an avid reader in the Sixties and Seventies, I
> remember several books I "got hooked on" and read several times.
>
> One was I never Promised You A Rose Garden by Johanna (IIRC) Green. I
> also got hooked on The Goddess Queen by Nicole somebody and Valley Of
> The Dolls, which got taken away from me in summer camp by a horrified
> counselor! *snicker*
>

> What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
> memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
> mentioned!
>

> Swan

"The Overman Culture" by Edmund Cooper, a British science fiction novel.
Also, "The Choirboys" by Joseph Wambaugh. But my favorite was "When
London Walked in Terror" by Tom Cullen, which is a true crime book on
Jack the Ripper. I still have all three of the books, and if I'm not
mistaken, they are the copies I bought/found/whatever back then.

Micelle
--
A man who is always ready to believe what is told him will
never do well. -- Petronius

Jim

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00

> Rat & Swan contributed:
>
> : What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond

> : memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
> : mentioned!

Mysteries. The Travis McGee series in particular. Sadly, the author died
in 1986.

Jim
Travis McGee is still on Cedar Key, That's what John MacDonald said.

Qwest

Nov 11, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/11/00
The Hobbit
The Lord of the Rings
The Face in the Frost
The House with a Clock in its Wall's (both by John Bellairs)
John L. Stoddard's Lectures on the World (inspired by the above)
The Phantom Tollbooth
The Pushcart War
The Old Patagonian Express
The Great Railway Bazaar
All of Isaac Asimov's (AKA The Good Doctor) books on science + Nightfall and
other Stories and his guide to the Bible

We currently own more bookcases than we do matching plates.
--
Mark "The Rainmaker" Castleman
Brewmaster, Big Dog Brewing Cooperative

Cristabel

Nov 11, 2000, 8:01:21 PM11/11/00

> What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
> memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
> mentioned!
>
> Swan

The short stories of Ray Bradbury haunted my adolescence. He has such a
way with words, and I wonder if my disappointment with his more recent work
reflects more on me or him.

That and Arthur C. Clarke's "Childhood's End." For fluff, I made a habit
of marathon-length re-perusals of "Gone with the Wind."

Being raised by peasants who believed that too much reading led to
madness, I had few books that were not from the library.

Cristabel. "Scarlett O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom noticed. .
. "

Mika

Nov 11, 2000, 11:47:22 PM11/11/00
I kept reading and re-reading Stephen King's _The Stand_. I just had an
absolute fascination with the book for some reason. Also, J.D. Salinger's
_The Catcher in the Rye_. I read a lot, but these are the only ones I
seriously re-read.

Mika

JesterKat

Nov 12, 2000, 12:57:40 AM11/12/00
On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 21:40:03 -0500, Jim <flam...@cybercomm.net>
inscribed, in words of cybernetic fire:

>Travis McGee is still on Cedar Key, That's what John MacDonald said.

Damn, how does the next line go? "My rendezvous's so long overdue..."
Something like that, anyway.

---JesterKat, incommunicado ;-)

Citizen Ted

Nov 12, 2000, 1:29:35 AM11/12/00
wrote:

>What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond

>memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
>mentioned!

"Slaughterhouse Five" by Kurt Vonnegut. Must have read it 7
times. No copy nowadays. Never really owned a copy. I was a library
lurker back then.

"I, Robot" by Isaac Asimov. Also read repeatedly. I have a
dogeared copy in the Citizen Ted Memorial Library.

"Hauntings and Horrors: Ten Grisly Tales", comp. of short
stories by Lovecraft, Bloch, Bradbury, etc. I have a copy still. There
it is on the shelf! A great collection of American horror. Scary
cover, too.

- TR

Ted's Three Laws of Robotics

1) A robot may not injure a human being, or, through inaction,
cause a human being to come to harm, unless programmed to do so by
Ted.

2) A robot must obey the orders given him by a human being,
except where such orders would conflict with the First Law.

3) A robot must protect his own existence as long as such
protection does not conflict with the First or Second Law.

Anthony J. Bryant

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
Qwest wrote:

> The Face in the Frost
> The House with a Clock in its Wall's (both by John Bellairs)

Ah, another Bellairs fan!

Ever read "The Pedant and the Shuffly"? That's an old favorite. That and "St.
Fidgita and other Parables."

Tony

ygrii

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00

Samantha, A Certain Red-Haired Sprite of Evil wrote in message <8uku95

>As a side question, what was the last book you read that really, really
>affected you?

On the Road, by Jack Kerouac. I read it when I was eighteen, back in the
dreadful mid-eighties. That book, along with Jim Morrison's biography No One
Here Gets Out Alive, had a deep impact on my immature mind. From there I
went on to read Arthur Rimbaud and fell head over heels for that "total
derangement of all the senses" crap. I remember scribbling anxiously in my
journal about "renouncing all material ambitions. From now on, I lead the
life of a POET!" LOL! At that time I thought being a poet meant staying
stoned for weeks at a time. Looking back on it now, I see that instead of
being a romantic time of experimentation, I was really living in a deep
depression. I'm glad it's over. I still write angst-ridden poetry, but at
least it's now *mature* angst-ridden poetry.

~ygrii, wondering if he's sharing just a bit too much

Chris Petit

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00

Rat & Swan wrote in message <3A0D8D...@pacbell.net>...

>Fatman wrote:
>>
>Being a teenager and an avid reader in the Sixties and Seventies, I
>remember several books I "got hooked on" and read several times.
>
>One was I never Promised You A Rose Garden by Johanna (IIRC) Green. I
>also got hooked on The Goddess Queen by Nicole somebody and Valley Of
>The Dolls, which got taken away from me in summer camp by a horrified
>counselor! *snicker*
>
>What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
>memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
>mentioned!

For me, it would have to be Issac Asimov's Foundation series. I still
have the original copies I had when I was a teen. But then, I tend to have
a set of favorite books which I re-read many times.

Zenwolf

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00

Buddha said life is suffering.And the root of all
suffering is desire.But anal fissures can play a
big part also...
"The Queen of Cans and Jars" <que...@cansandjars.org> wrote in message

> the effect of gamma rays on ginger from gilligan's island

the professor had his hand in the radio

oce...@my-deja.com

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
Bellairs is great. I still re-read the "House" trilogy (?).

As a teen? Hmmm..

Lolita and Ada by Nabokov
Endless Love by Scott Spencer (very little relation to atrocious movie,
actually a great tale of love become obsession and insanity)
Carrie and It by King
The Mists of Avalon by Zimmer-Bradley
National Velvet by Bagnold

and, of course, Catcher in the Rye.

Dan Corelli

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
In high school:

anything by Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, JRR Tolkien, Marion Zimmer
Bradley, Ann McCaffrey, Harold Robbins (for the trash) and the very
very early Tom Clancy

Into college and now: Tom Clancy (especially since he mentions that
Jack Ryan spanks his kids!), Ann McCaffrey (especially the Crystal
Singer series), Dickens (only ones that are relatively brat-free),
Salinger, several contemporary Japanese authors, several contemporary
Australian writers, and last but not least James Clavell
--
Daniel M. Corelli, MD PhD

John & Mari Morgan

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
On Sat, 11 Nov 2000 19:26:22 -0700, "Samantha, A Certain Red-Haired
Sprite of Evil" <sama...@pretention.net> wrote:

>Rat & Swan wrote:
>
>>What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
>>memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
>>mentioned!

Let's see... Katherine Kurtz' first two Deryni seria. Anything Pern
(Anne McCaffrey). Most of what Stephen King had produced by then
(mid-late 80s). Tolkien, Tolkien, and more Tolkien. Richard Adams'
"Watership Down", "Maia", and "The Plague Dogs". I don't still have
any of them, but they've been steadily replaced over the years.

My parents were still in the move-frequently mindset so I was not
really allowed to accumulate books. When we did move I was only
permitted to take one small box (books were heavy, and movers charged
per pound) so I didn't exactly have incentive to collect. I plowed
through the library instead. I think I'm making up for the lack of
books of my own in my later years. *grin*

>As a side question, what was the last book you read that really, really
>affected you?

"Big Big Love", Hanne Blank.

Mari

Marie Braden

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:42:42 GMT, oce...@my-deja.com wrote:

>Endless Love by Scott Spencer (very little relation to atrocious movie,
>actually a great tale of love become obsession and insanity)

Oh yeah, that WAS an interesting book. Scarily enough, as a teenager,
I didn't quite GET it, and was given to making pronouncements from it
on the nature of love. Feh. Good thing I grew out of that! LOL

sun...@my-deja.com

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
Tom Clancy
Stephen King
MZB
Clarke
Bradbury
Stanislaw Lem
Heinlein's "Red Planet" and "Podcayne of Mars"
Zane Grey westerns (from my mom's stash)

Not 'ladylike' reading, as my grandmother liked to point out when she
saw me with my nose stuffed into yet another book. She always
threatened that the world would go by while I was lost in a book. I
didn't think so- the worlds I had in my hands were much better than the
miserable world of my teens.

I didn't mind being intelligent and well read, even though I was warned
that guys didn't like intelligent and well read women. Maybe my rellies
were right, since I am still single. But who cares- a good book and
good music is much better than any drudgery as a housewife and mother.

Sunfell, who is currently reading five different books right now...

Cristabel

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00

> I didn't mind being intelligent and well read, even though I was warned
> that guys didn't like intelligent and well read women. Maybe my rellies
> were right, since I am still single. But who cares- a good book and
> good music is much better than any drudgery as a housewife and mother.

My take on that, Sunfell, is who would want to be married to a man who
*didn't* like an intelligent and well-read woman? Why would such a woman
want such a man? Heresy, I know. We're supposed to have crushes on guys
who are unsuited to us.

Cristabel. My mother started teaching me to knit when I was nine, and a
baby feminist. She told me it would help me get a husband. I threw the
needles away like they were on fire.

Noelle

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
> Rat & Swan wrote in message <3A0D8D...@pacbell.net>...

>Being a teenager and an avid reader in the Sixties and Seventies, I

>remember several books I "got hooked on" and read several times.

>One was I never Promised You A Rose Garden by Johanna (IIRC) Green. I
>also got hooked on The Goddess Queen by Nicole somebody and Valley Of
>The Dolls, which got taken away from me in summer camp by a horrified
>counselor! *snicker*

I got my MAD magazines taken away by horrified camp counselors. :)

>What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
>memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
>mentioned!

When I was 13 or so, my favorite books were the TSR "Choose Your Own
Adventure" books. I had 3 or 4 of them, and would have had more, except a
couple got permanently loaned away, at least one more got lost on a school
bus, and it seems like one got taken up by a teacher and never returned. I
still have 3 of them, but they don't hold my interest as an adult. I hang on
to them for nostalgic value.

When I was in high school, my favorite book, bar none, was "Firelord" by
Parke Godwin (my favorite retelling of the Arthurian legend). I have read
two copies of this book to tatters and recently bought a pristine new copy
on Ebay. My other favorite was "Maia" by Richard Adams, another one I have
read again and again and can still enjoy.

A book I really enjoyed when I was a teenager and could never find
afterwards: I can't remember the name of it, but I think it had "Miss Peach"
or something like that in the title. NOT to be confused with the comic strip
"Miss Peach" about the schoolteacher. This book was about a little girl who
had been given a couple of Japanese dolls, dressed in full kimono, and she
decided to make an authentic Japanese dollhouse for them, and the book went
through all the process and research she did in order to do so. The twist
was that the dolls were having conversations about her and their new house.
It was one of the few things I read as a teenager that was actually written
at my age level, not at my reading level (I always read ahead of my age
level), but enjoyed.

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

--
*************
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape
finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.
--Marcus Aurelius
http://www.fastlane.net/~gnoelle
*************

Noelle

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
<oce...@my-deja.com> wrote in message news:8umkqi$4jq$1...@nnrp1.deja.com...

> Carrie and It by King

Ooh. I just had to comment on this. I first read "Carrie" when I was in the
fourth grade. That's important because fourth grade was an awful time for
me. I can remember wishing I had her powers!

My mother also let me and a friend stay up and watch "Carrie" on
television...that couldn't have been when I was in 4th grade, seems like the
movie came later than that, so maybe 6th grade? (1982). Anyway, it was
around the same time that the song "Fame" came out ("Fame...I'm gonna live
forever") and I always associated that with the movie for some reason.

sun...@my-deja.com

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
Cristabel wrote:
> My take on that, Sunfell, is who would want to be married to a man
>who *didn't* like an intelligent and well-read woman? Why would such
>a woman want such a man? Heresy, I know. We're supposed to have
>crushes on guys who are unsuited to us.

That was my thought. I mean, anyone can talk about the weather, sports,
celebrities and other people, but I want to talk to someone who can
care less about that crap, and who can hold up their end of a
discussion about Hermetic Gnosticism and Mystery School Adepts. Not
many of those around, I'm afraid- but hope springs infernal! :-)

Sunfell, who also likes to discuss ancient civilizations, cultural
trends, conspiracy theories, cats, computers, music, food and anything
else interesting...

zzyz...@my-deja.com

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
Books read over and over again as a teenager would include: The Mars, Venus,
Pellucidar and Tarzan series by Edgar Rice Burroughs, the works of H. Rider
Haggard, Peter Ibbetson and Trilby by George Du Maurier, The Time Machine by
H.G. Wells, and Vandenberg by Oliver Lange. This is just a fraction of many.

Marie Braden

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 14:49:00 -0600, "Noelle" <gno...@fastlane.net>
wrote:

>I got my MAD magazines taken away by horrified camp counselors. :)

Teehee, that was NEVER an issue for me, as my mother had had a letter
published in MAD when SHE was younger. She encouraged me to read it

>A book I really enjoyed when I was a teenager and could never find
>afterwards: I can't remember the name of it, but I think it had "Miss Peach"
>or something like that in the title. NOT to be confused with the comic strip
>"Miss Peach" about the schoolteacher. This book was about a little girl who
>had been given a couple of Japanese dolls, dressed in full kimono, and she
>decided to make an authentic Japanese dollhouse for them, and the book went
>through all the process and research she did in order to do so. The twist
>was that the dolls were having conversations about her and their new house.
>It was one of the few things I read as a teenager that was actually written
>at my age level, not at my reading level (I always read ahead of my age
>level), but enjoyed.
>
>Anyone know what I'm talking about?

ME ME ME!!!! You are talking about Miss Happiness and Miss Flower by
Rumer Godden (there was a followup called Little Plum). There was a
doll in it called Little Peach, which is what you are remembering.
Nona, Belinda....the plans in the back of the books, etc. etc. Those
books RULED!!!!!!!!! I wouldn't have called them "teenaged" books
though, as Nona was around 11 or so. ANyway, they are out of print,
but I managed to dig them up via ABE a few months back.

Sigh....I thought I was the only one so enamoured of them....grin

Kent

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
Noelle contributed:

: Ooh. I just had to comment on this. I first read "Carrie" when I was in the

: fourth grade. That's important because fourth grade was an awful time for
: me. I can remember wishing I had her powers!
: My mother also let me and a friend stay up and watch "Carrie" on
: television...that couldn't have been when I was in 4th grade, seems like the
: movie came later than that, so maybe 6th grade? (1982). Anyway, it was
: around the same time that the song "Fame" came out ("Fame...I'm gonna live
: forever") and I always associated that with the movie for some reason.

The movie of Carrie actually came out in 1976, although it wouldn't have
been on TV for a couple ofyears after that. The song "Fame" was from the
summer of 1980 (my "Summer of'42", and that song was HUGELY significant
for me then, too!)

Kent

Kent

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
Noelle contributed:

: A book I really enjoyed when I was a teenager and could never find

: afterwards: I can't remember the name of it, but I think it had "Miss Peach"
: or something like that in the title. NOT to be confused with the comic strip
: "Miss Peach" about the schoolteacher. This book was about a little girl who
: had been given a couple of Japanese dolls, dressed in full kimono, and she
: decided to make an authentic Japanese dollhouse for them, and the book went
: through all the process and research she did in order to do so. The twist
: was that the dolls were having conversations about her and their new house.
: It was one of the few things I read as a teenager that was actually written
: at my age level, not at my reading level (I always read ahead of my age
: level), but enjoyed.
: Anyone know what I'm talking about?

You should ask somewhere like rec.books.childrens (or whatever the actual
newsgroup is); there are lots of requests like that and people (lots of
children's librarians on there) almost always know. Of course a deja
search with "Miss Peach" might find it as well.

Kent

Qwest

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
I was once able to find a copy of "The Pedant and the Shuffly" at the
library, but I have never seen "St. Fidgita and Other Parables."

I always wanted to have a house like Prospero's.

--
Mark "The Rainmaker" Castleman
Brewmaster, Big Dog Brewing Cooperative
2000 Ebony & Pearl Vulcan 800 Classic
VROC# 4018 GTOC# 80004751
VRA# 1-0-596A-800B AMA# 318379

Michelle Martin

Nov 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/12/00
In article <t6cs0to19fe5kq9us...@4ax.com>, JesterKat
<jest...@lostmymindspring.com> wrote:

My rendezvous's so long overdue/with all of the things that I've sung
and I've read/this still applies to me/it all makes sense in time/and
now I'm incommunicado, etc.

Michelle "if I'm remembering correctly"

The Lemming

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
Ulysses, JJ.
Illuminatus trilogy, RAW.
Barfly script, Buk.
Ragged Trousered Philanthropists, Robert Tressel.

everyone a classic.

Nick the Lemming

--
www.vhemt.org

:-)

In Your Face, Space Coyote!

John & Mari Morgan

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:42:42 GMT, oce...@my-deja.com wrote:

>and, of course, Catcher in the Rye.

Am I the only one on the planet who didn't get what all the fuss was
about with Catcher in the Rye? Frankly, I found it excruciatingly dull
when I read it in high school (voluntarily, sorta - it was on the
optional reading list), and didn't really understand why people were
so passionate about it (either loving it or hating it).

Mari

Samantha, A Certain Red-Haired Sprite of Evil

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
Mari wrote:

>Am I the only one on the planet who didn't get what all the fuss was
>about with Catcher in the Rye? Frankly, I found it excruciatingly dull
>when I read it in high school (voluntarily, sorta - it was on the
>optional reading list), and didn't really understand why people were
>so passionate about it (either loving it or hating it).

Nope. I did a paper on it one year in high school. I got through the book
but hated it. I hated it even more after having to actually research and
write about it. *shudder*

I didn't hate it for its content, mind you, but rather because it was
supposed to be a wonderful book and it was really nothing. Not even good,
but certainly not offensive. Just dull and with an unlikable narrator.

--
Samantha
^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^*^v^
"Everyone loves playgrounds. Nearby rotting meat can only make it better."

mroo philpott-smythe

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
Mika wrote:

[hijackectomy]

Sorry I couldn't find Swan's post, so i'm hijacking yours.

Book(s) I read repeatedly as a teen?

Metamorphosis (Kafka) - actually pretty much anything by Kafka
Shakespeare (except the historical plays), Dickens, Austen, Salinger,
Hermann Hesse, Coleridge, Burton's and Fitzgerald's translations of the
Rubaiyat (i was big on poetry), Blake, Thomas Hardy (wonderfully
sarcastic, black humor), the Bronte sisters (we used to call them the
Brontosauruses), Zola (but not in the original), Chekhov, Dostoevsky,
Ibsen, Shaw (G.B., of course), L.M. Alcott, Dumas (pere et fils),
Shelley, Mary Wollstonecraft S., Han SuYin, Lin YuTang, Kamala Das
(although, given the erotic nature of much of her poetry, I may have
been older than "a teen") ...

and, of course, everything Heinlein ever wrote (I only confirmed his
sexist pighood years later), and pretty much all the SF Asimov, Clarke,
Sturgeon, Bloch (well, horror too, for this guy), LeGuin, and Keyes ever
wrote.

and yes, i was a miserable, antisocial, lonely child, and all i ever did
was read, since i was NOT allowed out of the house much.

donnab...@my-deja.com

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
Swan asked:

> What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
> memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
> mentioned!

OK. I very rarely mention this to anyone, but I think this may be an
OK place to do it. In high school I was introduced to the "Gor" series
by John Norman and eventually managed to find the whole series (and add
to it later). It was, ahhh, *very* different from all my other
reading, which included 1) anything and everything about horses and 2)
C.S. Lewis. Later on I amassed the McGee series by John D. MacDonald
(kinder, gentler misogyny ;), a bunch of Dick Francis, Stephen King,
and Michael Crichton. I still have everything but the Gor series...got
embarrassed and unloaded it in a move.

Good topic shift, Swan, and my birthstone is yucky peridot. I prefer
opals and pewter or leather Celtic stuff.

db

Kari Whittenberger-Keith

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00

I was more of a topical reader myself. I'd go on topic binges: ancient Egypt;
Tudor England; mass murderers, and then read everything I could get my hands on
about that topic. My mother got very worried when I began on the mass murderer
binge--my oldest brother, at a similar age, read all about recreational drugs and
got into drug culture in a rather serious way. She was sure I was a mass
murderer in training.

I'm still a topical reader. I don't read a lot of fiction, but read tons of
cookbooks, gardening books, and architectural history books.

Kari--finally back after a busy autumn

Anthony J. Bryant

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00
John & Mari Morgan wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:42:42 GMT, oce...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >and, of course, Catcher in the Rye.
>

> Am I the only one on the planet who didn't get what all the fuss was
> about with Catcher in the Rye? Frankly, I found it excruciatingly dull
> when I read it in high school (voluntarily, sorta - it was on the
> optional reading list), and didn't really understand why people were
> so passionate about it (either loving it or hating it).

Hell, I'm with you. It was the first of three or four books that I've
read that I actually hated. I thought it was a total waste of paper and
ink. It made no sense to me, what the big deal was I don't know.

Tony

Jim

Nov 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/13/00

John & Mari Morgan wrote:

> On Sun, 12 Nov 2000 17:42:42 GMT, oce...@my-deja.com wrote:
>
> >and, of course, Catcher in the Rye.
>
> Am I the only one on the planet who didn't get what all the fuss was
> about with Catcher in the Rye? Frankly, I found it excruciatingly dull
> when I read it in high school (voluntarily, sorta - it was on the
> optional reading list), and didn't really understand why people were
> so passionate about it (either loving it or hating it).
>

> Mari

No, I was kind of ambivalent about it. I read it, didn't love it, didn't
hate it, and couldn't figure out why so many people wanted to ban it.

Jim

Cristabel

Nov 13, 2000, 7:57:58 PM11/13/00
Kari! I do the same thing!

Hominid fossils, the Plantagenet dynasty, Oscar Wilde, the Romanovs/ World
War I/Queen Victoria's children. Life is sweet when you can indulge your
obsession du jour.

> I was more of a topical reader myself. I'd go on topic binges: ancient
Egypt;
> Tudor England; mass murderers, and then read everything I could get my
hands on
> about that topic.

Cristabel. I hate having a small public library. I didn't appreciate how
good I had it in Edmonton.

Epistantophus

Nov 13, 2000, 10:59:49 PM11/13/00
This, from The Queen of Cans and Jars:

><nas...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>
>> In article <ye2P5.34142$K64.2...@monolith.news.easynet.net>,
>> "Fatman" <fat...@dreamtrack.zzn.com> wrote:
>> > K.C. the Dead Cat <k...@dead-kitty.org> wrote in message

>> > You could find out by actually hollowing one out... there's an amazing
>> > amount of purple and green squishy things in there.
>> >
>> Marmalade Jones cried herself to sleep almost every night. Attacked by the
>> inversion layer one evening, she drank herself to death.
>
>the effect of gamma rays on ginger from gilligan's island

mind if i chide you for a while?

Epistantophus

Nov 13, 2000, 10:59:15 PM11/13/00

oce...@my-deja.com

Nov 14, 2000, 12:32:28 AM11/14/00

> Am I the only one on the planet who didn't get what all the fuss was
> about with Catcher in the Rye?

Dunno - I'm the only one I know who liked it. I guess I just
overidentified with a NY kid who sees the game schools try to force us
to play and wigs out ;). For me it's a "who's more fucked-up - the
fuckup or the society who labels him as such" sorta book.

Like caviar - you either like it or ya don't, I think ;).

oce...@my-deja.com

Nov 14, 2000, 12:38:18 AM11/14/00

> Illuminatus trilogy, RAW.

Y'know, I should've enjoyed Illuminatus, but I can never seem to get
into it.

oce...@my-deja.com

Nov 14, 2000, 12:49:36 AM11/14/00

> I always wanted to have a house like Prospero's.

I'm holding out for "Barnavelt's Folly" :)

Marie Braden

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
On Mon, 13 Nov 2000 15:37:17 -0800, Kari Whittenberger-Keith
<kar...@oregon.uoregon.edu> wrote:

>I was more of a topical reader myself. I'd go on topic binges: ancient Egypt;
>Tudor England; mass murderers, and then read everything I could get my hands on

>about that topic. My mother got very worried when I began on the mass murderer
>binge--my oldest brother, at a similar age, read all about recreational drugs and
>got into drug culture in a rather serious way. She was sure I was a mass
>murderer in training.
>
>I'm still a topical reader. I don't read a lot of fiction, but read tons of
>cookbooks, gardening books, and architectural history books.

I do that, too! Binge reading, I mean. Current topics include
homemaking, the historicity of Yashua bar Yussef, and priorities

Past binges have included Tudor England (don't even ASK how many Jean
Plaidy novels I have, or books on Anne Boleyn), Japanese culture
(thanks to a book we discussed here recently), serial killers, the
Manson Family, the Foxfire books and similar, etc. etc. etc.

Kent

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00
oce...@my-deja.com contributed:

:> Am I the only one on the planet who didn't get what all the fuss was

:> about with Catcher in the Rye?

: Dunno - I'm the only one I know who liked it. I guess I just
: overidentified with a NY kid who sees the game schools try to force us
: to play and wigs out ;). For me it's a "who's more fucked-up - the
: fuckup or the society who labels him as such" sorta book.

I read it in 9th grade and it was OK, but I think I was too young to
appreciate it. Keep meaning to go back and reread it but there's the pesky
matter of those OTHER 100 or so books ahead of it "in line".

Kent

Kari Whittenberger-Keith

Nov 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/14/00

Cristabel wrote:

> Kari! I do the same thing!
>
> Hominid fossils, the Plantagenet dynasty, Oscar Wilde, the Romanovs/ World
> War I/Queen Victoria's children. Life is sweet when you can indulge your
> obsession du jour.

Oh, Queen Victoria's children and the Romanovs were both on my list as well!

Kari

Beekeeper

Nov 15, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/15/00

the ballroom affair was well attended, except for spanky

CatWoman

Nov 16, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/16/00
Rat & Swan <lab...@pacbell.net> wrote:
]
] >What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond

] >memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
] >mentioned!

From back even before teen in some cases:

Any Sherlock Holmes
Anything by Thorne Smith
Anything by Agatha Christie
Almost anything by Mary Stewart
Any of the books in the genre of Mary Stewart (Phyllis
Whitney, Daphne DuMaurier, etc.)
Actually a lot of the mysteries I like I first read
early.
Anything by John D. MacDonald
Disappearance, by Philip Wylie
Anything by Jane Austin
The Jungle Books, and other books by Kipling (never was
able to read 'Kim' tho).
Some Dickens

And a few others I can't think of off hand. My dad and
mom, but especially my dad, were voracious readers. My
dad always had at least one book going (when he had the
cancer that killed him, one kind friend got him a tape
player and a subscription to books on tape after he could
no longer hold a book).

They taught me to read early, and my bedtime stories were
'grownup' books - I still think of Doyle's 'The Blue
Carbuncle' as a children's story - as well as the Just So
Stories. 8-)

Diana

Epistantophus

Nov 16, 2000, 11:48:22 PM11/16/00
This, from Beekeeper:

>On Tue, 14 Nov 2000 03:59:49 GMT, epista...@NOepistantophusUCE.com
>(Epistantophus) wrote:
>

>the ballroom affair was well attended, except for spanky

sleep alone or with pillow

TRW

Nov 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM11/21/00

>What book did you get hooked on as a teenager, and still have fond
>memories of? Do you still have it? I astill have all those books I
>mentioned!

Greetings and illusions, CF folks. I usually don't respond to this
newsgroup much (yes, another lurker I am), but in this case what the
he**.....

1984
Red Badge of Courage
A Farewell to Arms
Animal Farm
Joy of Sex
More Joy of Sex
books by Nancy Friday

What do these books I read have in common? At one time or another
these were banned. After reading 1984 and Animal Farm I searched--and
still am searching for--books that attained that so-called "banned"
status, be it classical or more recent ones. Curiousity drives me to
do this. I'm hoping to have a collection of banned books in my
lifetime and then when nearly done to share them, carefully, with
others. I want them to ponder, to think, or to challenge their
viewpoints. I did that during private college (a small, religiously
conservative college at that....bleah!) and felt somewhat powerfully
good when I pushed their tolerance envelope closer and closer when
doing book reports and research papers. I graduated, but I didn't
made some professors happy. *giggle* ;-) Seems that I was a circle in
a square college world. I do feel the same way today.

Thanks for reading this. Will probably be back intoducing myself at a
very close future date. Do take good care, ya'll?

--TRW, ex-Okie, now in Newfoundland.
--dooba or dodolrkr in IRC (mIRC)
(Clear the SMOKE to reply by email)

It is loading more messages.