need advice re cfc/job interviews!!!

1 view

Serchr

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

Hi all,
I'm being considered for a management job that sounds pretty cool. I have my
second interview MONDAY (two days from now).
One thing I'm stressing about is whether/how to volunteer the fact that my
husband and I are CFC-lifers. On the one hand, I don't want to offend any
bosses who have chosen otherwise, or look like a cold-hearted bitch, or yada
yada. On the other hand, I'm in my mid-30s. I'm married. And all the
whining/cooing from breeders and wannabe breeders has me worried that any
employer must have a "is she gonna be a biological clock liability" question in
mind. Like Michelle said, why not just hire a man and circumvent the problem?
That's just reality. Look, if I were an employer, I might not want to hire a
married woman in her mid-30s for the exact same reason, since I would be
prohibited by law from asking any question that would elicit information on
such intentions.
But can I as the prospective employee volunteer it? And if so, how would one
put the statement?
Any and all tips/advice/suggestions are welcome.

Rabbit

Jan 10, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/10/98

Serchr wrote:

> Hi all,
> I'm being considered for a management job that sounds pretty cool. I have my
> second interview MONDAY (two days from now).
> One thing I'm stressing about is whether/how to volunteer the fact that my
> husband and I are CFC-lifers.

I once got around that when the person interviewing me said, "So what
are your hobbies?" I told her what I liked to do and threw in a
light-hearted comment about "It's a lot easier since I'll never have to
worry about children."

Rabbit

MichelleA9

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

ser...@aol.com (Serchr) wrote:
<snip info re upcoming job interview & whether to volunteer info on her cbc
status>

>But can I as the prospective employee volunteer it?

ABSOLUTELY!!! (I put it on my resume... the one that has virtually *always*
gotten me an interview, yes, *that* would be the one...)

Good luck with the interview!
-- Michelle

Chris Petit

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

In article <19980111001...@ladder02.news.aol.com>, miche...@aol.com (MichelleA9) wrote:
>ser...@aol.com (Serchr) wrote:
><snip info re upcoming job interview & whether to volunteer info on her cbc
>status>
>
>>But can I as the prospective employee volunteer it?
>
>ABSOLUTELY!!! (I put it on my resume... the one that has virtually *always*
>gotten me an interview, yes, *that* would be the one...)

I'm not surprised. Most employers WANT to hire women, but are
afraid of being stuck with a worker who gets preggers, takes a few
weeks off work, and then will leave early if allowed, fairly often.
IF she returns to work at all after having the crib lizard.

>Good luck with the interview!

I agree. Good luck. :-)

--------
"Don't take life too seriously.
After all, you won't make it out alive."
To reply, remove the "-remove-me" at the end

Chris Petit

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

In article <69950t$o...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>, "Rebecca" <rco...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

[ Although the employer can't ask, can I volunteer my CBC status? ]

>A very timely question... I interviewed for a new position at the place I
>work at now (kind of a side step move, but a move that will allow me more
>opportunities for advancement) and during the interview I said that I was
>very dedicated to my job, and had chosen a lifestyle that allowed me to
>make learning and work my focus. The person interviewing me smiled and said
>"Is that your way of telling me you don't have children, and don't plan on
>having any?" I got the job not so much because of my CF status, but more
>because he thought I was tactful. :-)

Cool. :-)

>Rebecca (new VB programmer thanks to a great 6 week course, and a very
>supportive mum and sister who convinced me to take a chance :-)

VB is a lot of fun to program in. Good luck. :-)

Kent Parks

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

:
: ABSOLUTELY!!! (I put it on my resume... the one that has virtually *always*
: gotten me an interview, yes, *that* would be the one...)

Just curious--how, exactly, do you work it in?

Kent

S L. Weinberg

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

Subject: Re: need advice re cfc/job interviews!!!

When I interviewed for a new position within my company, I just took
the bull by the horns, I told the interviewer (now my supervisor) that
I knew it was illegal for him to ask, but that I wished to volunteer
the information that I was not ever having children, and that I was
committed to my career. I got the job ... and a promotion
.. and this is in one of those Fortune 500 sprog-loving companies.

Sharon W.

In any event, I'm wishing you the best and hope you get the job!

Kevin Meyer

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

As a CF manager with about 500 people in my org, I can say that the
"potential breeder with a multitude of sick days" is always in the back of
my mind when interviewing women. There are very strict guidelines on the
types of questions I can ask, but the potential employee is free to
volunteer anything. At the risk of sounding horribly sexist, I don't think
a male breeder manager would have a problem with an openly CF interviewee.
A female breeder manager might, but in my experience most of them have
regretted the decision to spawn and would actually be jealous of you
figuring that out before it was too late. I personally would consider an
openly female CF person very high on my list... not because of the reduced
sicktime and such, but because the decision itself can only come from
someone who is mature, analytical, and courageous. Go for it, and good
luck!

--
------------
"Wherever I go, there I am!" - Winnie the Pooh
Serchr wrote in message <19980110232...@ladder02.news.aol.com>...

>Hi all,
>I'm being considered for a management job that sounds pretty cool. I have
my
>second interview MONDAY (two days from now).
>One thing I'm stressing about is whether/how to volunteer the fact that my

MichelleA9

Jan 11, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/11/98

"Kevin Meyer" <mey...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

>As a CF manager with about 500 people in my org,<snip>

> I personally would consider an openly female CF person very high on my

list... <snip>

Heeheehee... as distinct from those "closet" females?
(Sorry -- the devil made me do it!)
On a more serious note -- I'm sure we're all mentally adjusting for the fact
that all of us here can't be considered exactly a random sampling in terms of
attitude on *this* issue -- but the fact that the breeder lobbies working the
U.S. Gov't felt it necessary to pass a law to *force* employers to subsidize
breeders certainly would seem to me to argue that many many many employers
would (surprise!) not only prefer someone reliable, but actually *have* made
the connection between breeders (mommeees at least) and unreliability. Yes, in
any given interview it's a gamble unless you've actually been able to do the
"research your interviewer" thing (has *any*one ever actually managed to *do*
that???)... but I think the odds are pretty damn good! (Though I do have a gut
feeling that the potential benefit far outweighs the risk for a woman applicant
and *not* for a man, unless the interviewer spends his/her time HERE.)

-- Michelle

Chris Petit

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

In article <69bl7e$i...@bgtnsc01.worldnet.att.net>, "Rebecca" <rco...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Frenchy <fre...@NoSpam.com> wrote:
>> Wow!!! You learned VB after only six weeks? Hell, I couldn't figure it
>> out after an entire *semester*!!!
>
>The course was _really_ hard, but really good. It helped that I had taken a
>VB course when I was in college, and learned Basic when I was in high
>school. What helped more than anything else was _Visual Basic for Dummies_.
>Any questions that I had that didn't have a clear answer in the text book,
>I could look up in VBFD. Now I have to learn C++ and, eventually, Java and
>PowerBuilder.

C++ is a bit ugly, but Java is mostly a subset of C++, and
PowerBuilder is very much like VB.

>Rebecca (whose new goal in life is to make a lot of money and retire at age
> 35)

Chris Petit

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

In article <01bd1ee0$48e64500$0100a8c0@nicole>, "Frenchy" <fre...@NoSpam.com> wrote:

>> Rebecca (new VB programmer thanks to a great 6 week course, and a very
>> supportive mum and sister who convinced me to take a chance :-)
>
>Wow!!! You learned VB after only six weeks? Hell, I couldn't figure it
>out after an entire *semester*!!!

I learned the "basics" of VB in about 2 months. The concept
is easy (details are the killer): Everything in VB is an object, and
you tell VB to do something with: <object>.<action to do to
object>(<parameters>) Like: Button.Refresh to "refresh" a button
called "Button"

If you need any help understanding VB, let me know. :-)

Chris Petit

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

In article <69btgo$b...@bgtnsc02.worldnet.att.net>, "Rebecca" <rco...@worldnet.att.net> wrote:
>x-no-archive: yes
>
>Chris Petit <mys...@ix.netcom.com-remove-me> wrote:
>> I learned the "basics" of VB in about 2 months. The concept
>> is easy (details are the killer): Everything in VB is an object, and
>> you tell VB to do something with: <object>.<action to do to
>> object>(<parameters>) Like: Button.Refresh to "refresh" a button
>> called "Button"
>
>LOL! Too true! I am still looking at my mini guide to VB for things I
>should know. The instructor said that it takes awhile to learn everything
>though.

It is very easy once you understand the "basics" of what VB is
doing. I've e-mailed that to you (so I don't get flamed to hell for
posting something THAT inappropiate).

>> If you need any help understanding VB, let me know. :-)
>

>Prepare yourself for some frantic e-mails, Chris.... :-)

Okie. :-)

VB is your friend. :-)

>Rebecca ("I crashed the entire system! HELP!" :-)

Reinstall the OS --- that is the standard tech support reply
to the "system crashed" problem. I should know 'cuz I worked in the
field for 2.5 years. :-)

Serchr

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

Thank you everybody for yr great advice (as the hours tick down...) and I'm now
kinda contemplating a VB class myself :-)
An interesting obs. to Michelle's last - my husband recently came right out and
said, "I know you're not supposed to ask this, but I want to tell you that my
wife and I don't plan to have any kids, in case you were wondering about
scheduling difficulties,'' or something like that. I was all pumped to do the
same thing but then started thinking about the female catch-22 (ya, women who
breed generally are the ones that are the bigger pain in the rear for employers
thru maternity leave; long, distracting phone calls; pseudo-sick days and so
forth -- but women who say they don't ever wanna breed face their own
cold-bitch stereotype. I like the thought of saying "I have chosen a lifestyle
that allows me maximum flexiblity and dedication to work,'' however!
U guys are so cool...

Rachel Pildis

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

On 10 Jan 1998 23:27:23 GMT, ser...@aol.com (Serchr) wrote:

>Hi all,
>I'm being considered for a management job that sounds pretty cool. I have my
>second interview MONDAY (two days from now).
>One thing I'm stressing about is whether/how to volunteer the fact that my
>husband and I are CFC-lifers. On the one hand, I don't want to offend any
>bosses who have chosen otherwise, or look like a cold-hearted bitch, or yada
>yada. On the other hand, I'm in my mid-30s. I'm married. And all the
>whining/cooing from breeders and wannabe breeders has me worried that any
>employer must have a "is she gonna be a biological clock liability" question in
>mind. Like Michelle said, why not just hire a man and circumvent the problem?
>That's just reality. Look, if I were an employer, I might not want to hire a
>married woman in her mid-30s for the exact same reason, since I would be
>prohibited by law from asking any question that would elicit information on
>such intentions.
>But can I as the prospective employee volunteer it? And if so, how would one
>put the statement?
>Any and all tips/advice/suggestions are welcome.

In my job interviewing process this past August, my boss-to-be brought
up the issue of health insurance and coverage of pregnancy-related
costs. I said "Well, I really don't need to hear this." He
replied, "Are you sure? Plans change and all...". I then said:
"Believe me, I am never going to be pregnant." That sorta ended
the discussion.

IMO, a good way to hint about this is to ask about health insurance.
Make sure to ask whether vasectomies or the Pill are covered. If
you're of sufficient age, that should clue 'em in!

Rachel
http://www.enteract.com/~pildis

Kevin Meyer

Jan 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/12/98

I could use a few more "cold bitches" at work to kick some butt in an
otherwise rather undisciplined environment!

--
------------
"Wherever I go, there I am!" - Winnie the Pooh

E l i s e R a u s c h e n b a c h

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 02:42:26 GMT, mys...@ix.netcom.com-remove-me
(Chris Petit) wrote:

> Reinstall the OS --- that is the standard tech support reply
>to the "system crashed" problem. I should know 'cuz I worked in the
>field for 2.5 years. :-)

Guys?

We love ya, but...

take it to email, wouldya?

8^)

Elise

MichelleA9

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

Um, Elise... I'm 80% sure that wasn't so much a tech consultation (I assume
that's why you said "take it to e-mail") as tech humor... the classic
"one-size-fits-all" response to any problem... and I, for one, enjoyed it as
such.

-- Michelle

E l i s e

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

On 13 Jan 1998 05:09:57 GMT, miche...@aol.com (MichelleA9) wrote:

>Um, Elise... I'm 80% sure that wasn't so much a tech consultation (I assume
>that's why you said "take it to e-mail") as tech humor... the classic
>"one-size-fits-all" response to any problem... and I, for one, enjoyed it as
>such.

Oh.

Ooops. sorry!

Again, I'm only buzzword-compliant; don't actually knowthe first thing
about programming.

As you were.

Elise

MichelleA9

Jan 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/13/98

ely...@nospam.tiac.net (E l i s e ) wrote:

>Oh.
>Ooops. sorry!
>Again, I'm only buzzword-compliant; don't actually knowthe first thing
>about programming.
>As you were.
>Elise

At risk of sounding truly disgustingly smug (being as how I hang out here now
too!), I've gotta say the sense of humor rating around here puts the
breeder-dominated world IN THE DUST! (Hell with 'em, WE know what's important!)

-- Michelle

Chris Petit

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

In article <34bae573...@news.tiac.net>, ely...@nospam.tiac.net (E l i s e R a u s c h e n b a c h) wrote:
>On Mon, 12 Jan 1998 02:42:26 GMT, mys...@ix.netcom.com-remove-me
>(Chris Petit) wrote:
>

>> Reinstall the OS --- that is the standard tech support reply
>>to the "system crashed" problem. I should know 'cuz I worked in the
>>field for 2.5 years. :-)
>>
>Guys?
>
>We love ya, but...
>
>take it to email, wouldya?

Sure thing. Already done. :-)

Chris Petit

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

Yeah. :-) Laughter is GOOD for you. :-)

In fact, next time ya go to a comedy club, charge it on
Medicaid. :-)

Chris Petit

Jan 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/14/98

In article <34baf946...@news.tiac.net>, ely...@nospam.tiac.net (E l i s e ) wrote:
>On 13 Jan 1998 05:09:57 GMT, miche...@aol.com (MichelleA9) wrote:
>

>>Um, Elise... I'm 80% sure that wasn't so much a tech consultation (I assume
>>that's why you said "take it to e-mail") as tech humor... the classic
>>"one-size-fits-all" response to any problem... and I, for one, enjoyed it as
>>such.
>>
>Oh.
>
>Ooops. sorry!
>
>Again, I'm only buzzword-compliant; don't actually knowthe first thing
>about programming.
>
>As you were.

Any consultations I do over e-mail. Tech humor I'll sometimes
post here. :-)

I forgot some of the OTHER common tech support replies:

- Upgrade to a newer version of:
- the OS
- the software package
- the clueless worker (we don't use this much ;-) )

MichelleA9

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

kmp...@NOSPAM.pagesz.net (Kent Parks) wrote:
<snip stuff about including cbc status in job resume>

>Just curious--how, exactly, do you work it in?
>Kent

Well, it's a weird resume... but one of the sections is:

Characteristics:

Innovative, articulate,
analytical, accurate, creative,
experienced, independent,
knowledgeable, practical,
rational (usually!), realistic, reliable,
resourceful, responsible,
supportive, thorough, versatile,
attentive to details,
good (wicked) sense of humor

Short on glamour, long on brains &
hard work

42 years old, attached, no kids

-- Michelle

Serchr

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

Was this interviewer a man or a woman? and was s/he a breeder? just curious...

MichelleA9

Jan 15, 1998, 3:00:00 AM1/15/98

ser...@aol.com (Serchr) wrote:
>I'm being considered for a management job that sounds pretty cool. I have my
>second interview MONDAY (two days from now).
>One thing I'm stressing about is whether/how to volunteer the fact that my
>husband and I are CFC-lifers. <snip>

Well... don't keep us all in suspense... how did it go?!?!?!?

-- Michelle