Baby Laughter!

Noelle

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00
Jack Moore <jlaf...@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20001003221106...@ng-df1.aol.com...

> I had written, "Whenever a baby laughs, our humanity is somehow exaulted."
> must admit, I DID get a kick out of the post. Maybe "exaulted" was it bit
much.

I'm curious. Did it really go to press with that word spelled "exaulted"?

> By the way, anyone read Joan Brady's book? I would imagine so, given the
> subject, here. Though I have no personal interest in the topic--not enough
> read Ms. Brady's book--I know her to be a no-nonsense straight shooter,
and I
> wondered how her book fared among people with an interest in the
"childfree"
> topic.

The name is familiar. What did she write? What is the topic?

--
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
http://www.fastlane.net/~gnoelle

Noelle

Oct 3, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/3/00

> >I'm curious. Did it really go to press with that word spelled "exaulted"?
>
> No, that was my pounding away here. But I guess you were just being
clever.

Not really on purpose. I'm an English major, and helpless to turn off the
proofing skills.

> I think the title is _I Don't Need A Baby To Be Who I Am_--I might have
missed
> a word.

Ooh. Nice title. I'll have to check that out.

> >Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
>
> That's Horace, right? Or is it Ovid? The physicists would so hold, now,
more
> than ever, but you'd have a hard time selling that to the
conservationists.

It's Ovid, from "Metamorphoses." Interesting, I'm taking earth science right
now, and I thought the laws of conservation basically say that nothing is
ever lost. *shrug* Or, as my teacher puts it, nothing ever really goes away.

I use it in the more figurative sense.

Jack Moore

Oct 3, 2000, 10:11:06 PM10/3/00
Hi, ASCMers. I'm Jack Moore.

A while back I wrote a novelty book dealing with baby laughter. Today, a friend
Emailed me with an item from this newsgroup that made reference to my book. I
was flattered, so I thought I'd take a look. I've had dozens of cutesy reviews
of my book, but my friend said this one was special. To my surprise, someone
had entered an excerpt from my book in a "Disgusting Quotes" thread.

I had written, "Whenever a baby laughs, our humanity is somehow exaulted." I
must admit, I DID get a kick out of the post. Maybe "exaulted" was it bit much.

By the way, anyone read Joan Brady's book? I would imagine so, given the

subject, here. Though I have no personal interest in the topic--not enough to
read Ms. Brady's book--I know her to be a no-nonsense straight shooter, and I
wondered how her book fared among people with an interest in the "childfree"
topic.

Jack Moore

Hilary

Oct 3, 2000, 10:58:22 PM10/3/00

> Jack Moore <jlaf...@aol.com> wrote in message

> > I had written, "Whenever a baby laughs, our humanity is somehow
exaulted."
> > must admit, I DID get a kick out of the post. Maybe "exaulted" was
it bit
> much.

Baby "laughter"? Is that the noise described by parunts as "quietly
fussing"? You know, the high pitched squeal which makes adults' ears
bleed? And maybe "exaulted" is a bit misspelled, too.
--
A woman without a child is like a fish without a bicycle.

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

Kim St@hler

Oct 3, 2000, 11:28:30 PM10/3/00

Brady's (*I Don't Need A Baby To Be Who I Am*) book is about the
freedom/agony of not having and not being able to have a child. I
glanced through it about a year ago - quick, super emotional, new-agey
read. The agony part was a turnoff, and I couldn't relate to it. Not
CF enough for me, but at least it was published, and I did like the
title, which was the basis for trying it in my library. I ended up
exchanging it on my rental plan.

I prefer Elinor Burkett's *Baby Boon* as the CF primer.

And Jack, no need to put quotes around the word childfree anymore.

~~Kim S.
T H E S T A I N E D A P R O N
By & for frustrated food servers stainedapron.com

Jack Moore

Oct 3, 2000, 11:29:51 PM10/3/00
>I'm curious. Did it really go to press with that word spelled "exaulted"?

No, that was my pounding away here. But I guess you were just being clever.

>The name is familiar. What did she write? What is the topic?

I think the title is _I Don't Need A Baby To Be Who I Am_--I might have missed
a word.

>Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.

That's Horace, right? Or is it Ovid? The physicists would so hold, now, more
than ever, but you'd have a hard time selling that to the conservationists.

Jack Moore

Jack Moore

Oct 3, 2000, 11:38:33 PM10/3/00
>Baby "laughter"? Is that the noise described by parunts as "quietly
>fussing"? You know, the high pitched squeal which makes adults' ears
>bleed? And maybe "exaulted" is a bit misspelled, too.

I'm generally not one to correct a misspelling in a post--always felt it was
kind of petty. But if you feel the need to do it, you ought to proofread your
work. Your "parunts" would be disappointed.

Jack Moore

Jack Moore

Oct 4, 2000, 12:28:25 AM10/4/00
>I thought the laws of conservation basically say that nothing is ever lost.

Matter is never lost. But it's the organization of that matter that's important
to us. Suppose, for example, that whales were to become extinct. Surely, their
atoms would still exist, here and there, in the universe, but that would
provide little consolation to the conservationist.

Jack Moore

Hilary

Oct 4, 2000, 12:50:05 AM10/4/00
In article <20001003233833...@ng-df1.aol.com>,
Umm, if you had bothered to actually read this newsgroup BEFORE
posting, you'd know that on ASC the usual and preferred spelling
for "parents" is "parunts". The reason for this is two-fold. Firstly,
it keeps trolls from finding our NG by searching on "parent", and
secondly it's a much more appropriate way to describe people who have
spawned runts. But, since you are a clueless troll, I guess this is all
news to you. Bye bye now.

nina_...@my-deja.com

Oct 4, 2000, 1:02:23 AM10/4/00
We spell parunts that way on purpose. The word has "runts", just like
the breeders it refers to. It's called "wordplay."

You may also be mistaken about the correctness of the following
spellings:

Moomie
Mombie
Duhdee
Baybee
Fyootuuure
Chiyulld

You will come across many other words which are deemed incorrect or
nonexistent by your spellchecker (crotchfruit, sprogpopper,
snotmonster), all of which are quite valid and correct here. "Here"
being our childfree space. CHILDFREE. As in "alt.support.childfree."

"Exaulted," however, is incorrect. In fact, sentences that imply those
horrible sounds made by larvae are in any way appealing, are
incorrect here. Even if each component word is technically spelled
correctly, which isn't the case with your own "exaulted" sentence.

Honestly, the very title of your post made me shiver -- I was expecting
a colorful account of a fellow childfree person being subjected to said
torture, followed by the usual pleasant rush of feelings of solidarity
with said hypothetical victim. Instead, I'm subjected to squicky (stick
that in your spellchecker), bona fide pronatalist sentiment. Yech.

--Nina

In article <20001003233833...@ng-df1.aol.com>,
jlaf...@aol.com (Jack Moore) wrote:

Message has been deleted

Jack411411

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
How long did it take this group to "evolve"? I use the term loosely. And isn't
that cute?--you have your own way of spelling things--"parunts." And that
"breeders"! You guys show all the imagination of a Maoist at a pep rally. Do
you have shirts? If so, I bet they'd look something like bowling shirts. Sort
of keeps you all together, doesn't it, with the huddling together like so many
thugs on a street corner, denying their own insecurities over and over and over
and . . .

Isn't the Internet wonderful? No matter how perverse your belief, no matter how
ridden with contradiction your philosophy, no matter how essentially repugnant
your mindless ravings might be against millions of years of evolution, there a
place for you. Kinda like that song from West side Story--"There's A Place for
Us."

I wonder, when is it, exactly, that these deplorable babies turn into the
communicators who become part of your group, 1 year, 3 months? 10 years, 4
months? You really should settle on a figure. How about your siblings? When you
were 18, was your ten-year-old sibling acceptable?

I should thank you, though. I'll have to direct my friends to this group. They
won't bother you--they'll just watch, for entertainment's sake. Kind of like
going to the zoo. Once you get past the stink, it can be quite a diversion from
dealing with people all day.

>Whenever a baby laughs our humanity is >debased and life is cheapend.

It's statements like this that make it impossible to dislike you. You're like
the guy who walks down the street with a pinwheel on his head, collecting
bottle caps, and mumbles and grumbles. He's just so far out there, so oblivious
to basic good manners, so miserable in hs own way, that he deserves no
criticism. Some of us will laugh at him; others will pity him.

Hilary

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
In article <20001004100211...@ng-cs1.aol.com>,

jack4...@aol.com (Jack411411) wrote:

> >Whenever a baby laughs our humanity is >debased and life is cheapend.
>
> It's statements like this that make it impossible to dislike you.
You're like
> the guy who walks down the street with a pinwheel on his head,
collecting
> bottle caps, and mumbles and grumbles. He's just so far out there, so
oblivious
> to basic good manners, so miserable in hs own way, that he deserves no
> criticism. Some of us will laugh at him; others will pity him.

"Basic good manners"? You come to a CHILDFREE NG, say inappropriate
things, whine about getting deservedly flamed, and then complain that
we lack manners? Give me a break. Run along now and go visit misc.kids
or some other NG where your opinions are accepted. I don't go
to "parent" groups and pee in the pool, and I expect the same from
you. What's the matter, your own group won't play with you? You may
think we're weird, but I think you're pathetic, hanging around where
you're clearly not wanted. Now piss off.

--
A woman without a child is like a fish without a bicycle.

Pete

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Hey FUCKHEAD!

Guess what? Nobody gives one rat's ass about what a breeding PIG like
you thinks of us. Trust me on this, the contempt is mutual, in SPADES.
Your opinion counts for less than nothing here.

Just what do you find so repugnant about us? That we don't agree with
you? That we don't care to share our time, money and energy with a bunch
of parasitic knuckle-draggers who squirt out vermin after shrieking
vermin with about as much thought as which brand of beer to buy? That we
don't care to have expensive dinners or theater outings ruined by little
shrieking crotch-droppings and their entitlement-stunted breeders?

Or is it envy, that your own besprogged life is so fucking miserable
because you have neither the time nor the money to do any of the things
you really wanted to do in life before you created a little shit factory
of your own?

If you send your friends here, you better tell to keep their fucking
yaps shut because I'm gonna be just as hard on them as I am on you. You
are *truly* a waste of protoplasm.

Yes, you supercilious twit, consider a letter to your publisher as a
foregone conclusion, that you decided to troll a newsgroup (and thus
sully your publisher's good name) and that we will target said publisher
for public boycott and doG knows what other sort of harrassment.

All because YOU could not keep your fucking yap shut.

Please do something for me.

Get yourself a 12-gauge shotgun.
Load the chamber with a rifled slug.
Place the barrel of the gun in your mouth.
Pull the trigger.

The world will be a better place.

Fuck off and die you breeding asshole. I will piss on your grave...Pete

In article <20001004100211...@ng-cs1.aol.com>,
jack4...@aol.com (Jack411411) wrote:

> >Whenever a baby laughs our humanity is >debased and life is cheapend.
>
> It's statements like this that make it impossible to dislike you. You're
> like
> the guy who walks down the street with a pinwheel on his head, collecting
> bottle caps, and mumbles and grumbles. He's just so far out there, so
> oblivious
> to basic good manners, so miserable in hs own way, that he deserves no
> criticism. Some of us will laugh at him; others will pity him.

--
Breeders. Just kill 'em all. Don't bother to sort them...

IleneB

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

Okay, gang, get ready for that early-morning boozefest!

Hey, weren't *we* kids once upon a time?

'glug'

Hey, Jack, thanks for sharing. Babies repulse me, and toddlers repulse
and enrage me.

So glad you got published. Kinda gives hope to anyone, like when a
demented ex-actor can become president, hey, there's hope for everyone!

Now go away.

Ilene B

In article <20001004100211...@ng-cs1.aol.com>, Jack411411

Kent

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Jack Moore contributed:

: I'm generally not one to correct a misspelling in a post--always felt it was

: kind of petty. But if you feel the need to do it, you ought to proofread your
: work. Your "parunts" would be disappointed.

That's NOT a misspelling--around here, that's how we generally spell it,
which you'd know if you lurked before charging in with your claptrap about
"baby laughter" or whatever. Perhaps you need to go hang out around a
daycare center or something.

Kent

Voris Tracy Van

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
On 4 Oct 2000, Jack411411 wrote:
> I should thank you, though. I'll have to direct my friends to this group.
> They won't bother you--they'll just watch, for entertainment's sake.
> Kind of like going to the zoo. Once you get past the stink, it can be
> quite a diversion from dealing with people all day.

One man's diversion is another's educational experience. If they lurk
around here any length of time, they will learn that their children are
not the center of the freaking universe.

Neither are they.

Of course, they probably will feel the need to educate us, just like you
do. They'd be DumbAsses, too.

T.

Silently Mad

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Oo did we get our feelings hurt?
In fact if you had clue one about this group you would know that
parunts is not a mispelling.
I am a very new poster myself but at least I had the courtesy to read
the faq and find the lexicon and get the general gist of things.

check your facts.

Silently Mad

Silently Mad

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
On 04 Oct 2000 14:02:11 GMT, jack4...@aol.com (Jack411411) wrote:

>How long did it take this group to "evolve"? I use the term loosely. And isn't
>that cute?--you have your own way of spelling things--"parunts." And that
>"breeders"! You guys show all the imagination of a Maoist at a pep rally. Do
>you have shirts? If so, I bet they'd look something like bowling shirts. Sort
>of keeps you all together, doesn't it, with the huddling together like so many
>thugs on a street corner, denying their own insecurities over and over and over
>and . . .

Translation - "You need to be taught a lesson for having an opinion
other than mine"

>Isn't the Internet wonderful? No matter how perverse your belief, no matter how
>ridden with contradiction your philosophy, no matter how essentially repugnant
>your mindless ravings might be against millions of years of evolution, there a
>place for you. Kinda like that song from West side Story--"There's A Place for
>Us."

you are certainly a fine example of that statement.

>I wonder, when is it, exactly, that these deplorable babies turn into the
>communicators who become part of your group, 1 year, 3 months? 10 years, 4
>months? You really should settle on a figure. How about your siblings? When you
>were 18, was your ten-year-old sibling acceptable?

If you're looking for specifics I can only tell you that people like
you are NEVER acceptable, because you're mindless through your entire
lives content to grow up fulfilling the status quo with your mindless
following and the world with your mindless progeny.

>I should thank you, though. I'll have to direct my friends to this group. They
>won't bother you--they'll just watch, for entertainment's sake. Kind of like
>going to the zoo. Once you get past the stink, it can be quite a diversion from
>dealing with people all day.

Translation - "You need to be shown how wrong you are I'm gathering my
trolls to teach you a lesson"
Yo, jack, you weren't invited here. You threw yourself into a group
who had done or said nothing to you and when someone corrected a
mispelling you fell down kicking and screaming and came back up for a
fight. Clearly your level of maturity is painfully clear with
comments like the above.

>>Whenever a baby laughs our humanity is >debased and life is cheapend.
>
>It's statements like this that make it impossible to dislike you. You're like
>the guy who walks down the street with a pinwheel on his head, collecting
>bottle caps, and mumbles and grumbles. He's just so far out there, so oblivious
>to basic good manners, so miserable in hs own way, that he deserves no
>criticism. Some of us will laugh at him; others will pity him.

As we do to you. We pity you for your closed mindedness and laugh at
you for thinking your four square concrete idealism that your parents
gave you is the be all and end all and is the ONLY way to think.
You're sad jack.
Go away.

Silently Mad

Mr. Chance

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
"Jack411411" <jack4...@aol.com> wrote in message

> How long did it take this group to "evolve"? I use the term loosely.

How witty! I'm glad to see you haven't let your Mad magazine
subscription lapse.

> And "breeders"! You guys show all the imagination of a Maoist at a pep
rally.

Imagination. It must have taken a lot of it to come up with such a
phenomenally
insipid topic for a book as "Baby Laughter".

> Do you have shirts? If so, I bet they'd look something like bowling
shirts. Sort
> of keeps you all together, doesn't it, with the huddling together like so
many
> thugs on a street corner, denying their own insecurities over and over and
over
> and . . .

Yes you ignorant bigot, we wear shirts to identify ourselves, you know, just
like
gays and atheists do. We do it so that smug, inflated, assholes like you can
revel
in your positions of privilege.

> Isn't the Internet wonderful? No matter how perverse your belief

We believe we are entitled to treatment equal to that which you
receive Breeder -- equal treatment from the government, employers
and the culture at large. You find that perverse because it challenges
your position of entitlement.

> no matter how ridden with contradiction your philosophy, no matter how
> essentially repugnant your mindless ravings might be against millions of
years
> of evolution, there a place for you.

Your comments indicate you haven't got the slightest idea what
our philosophy is. Clearly though, yours is bankrupt. Weeee lets
glorify mindless breeding! Who cares about overpopulation! Let's
just keep popping out the fuck trophies -- their laughter is exaulted.

> I should thank you, though. I'll have to direct my friends to this group.
They
> won't bother you--they'll just watch, for entertainment's sake. Kind of
like
> going to the zoo. Once you get past the stink, it can be quite a diversion
from
> dealing with people all day.

Yeah I know what you mean. I like to go to synagogues and watch
the Jews -- that's really a stitch! They wear those funny little beanies
and make those funny sounds like they're coughing up or something. What
a riot! Once you get past the stink, it can be quite a diversion from

dealing with
people all day.

> just so far out there, so oblivious

> to basic good manners, so miserable in hs own way, that he deserves no
> criticism. Some of us will laugh at him; others will pity him.

Thank you, thank you. I can't tell you how much your pity means
to us -- the wretched childfree. Imagine never knowing the only
true and correct meaning of pleasure: the happy gurglings
of your own personal contribution to overpopulation and environmental
despoilment.

Sadie

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

"Jack411411" <jack4...@aol.com> wrote in

> I should thank you, though. I'll have to direct my friends to this group.
They
> won't bother you--they'll just watch, for entertainment's sake. Kind of
like
> going to the zoo.

Yes, please do that. We're prevented from traipsing over to other forums to
gloat over our good fortune (it's bad form) but if they're willing to save
us the trip we're certainly willing to rub their noses in it here.

It'll be good for them. They've always been secretly jealous of us, but let
them get a feel for what they're missing out on. Remember those carefree
college days, when you were encouraged to seek personal fulfullment, to try
new and exciting things for your own sake--as an exercise in self-discovery?
When every morning positively *crackled* with a sense of your own
potential-- when at any given moment you knew you still held the power to
change your life, if you needed, for the better. Freedom to make even these
minor adjustments--new state, new friends, new career, sheesh--new stuff!
Don't lie to me and tell me *you* could do without all that. If you can,
Jack little buddy, your life ended without you even noticing.

Jason G

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
jlaf...@aol.com (Jack Moore) made obeisance before Us and spake thusly:

>I think the title is _I Don't Need A Baby To Be Who I Am_--I might have missed
>a word.

"... Goddamnit!"

--
Jason G

"Autocross is a precision sport, much like archery or golf.
You must be precise and consistent, all the while driving so fast
you can barely concentrate." -- Mark Sirota

Jason G

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
jlaf...@aol.com (Jack Moore) made obeisance before Us and spake thusly:
>Hi, ASCMers. I'm Jack Moore.
>
>A while back I wrote a novelty book dealing with baby laughter.

And what, pray, was the premise of such an exaulting tome?

Did you have a bunch of Anne Geddes photos in it too?

Jason G

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
jack4...@aol.com (Jack411411) made obeisance before Us and spake thusly:

>. Do
>you have shirts?

Why yes! We do! They can be bought here:
http://www.cafepress.com/trepan8/

And here is a link to a dashing young gent wearing one of said shirts. You
might need to cut and paste, it takes a long URL to render this fellow
properly.

http://wwwld-05-08-ec.ecircles.com/magic/products/photo/photo.
cgi?
__state=21&msgID=36&circleID=3221235&topicID=3&albumName=CF%20Beach%20Party%20
2000&albumSubmittorID=3253792

Notice the coquettish drape of the fabric, the insouciant smile of the happily
childfree young swain? These delightful garments are available from the fall
collection of Trepan8.com for only $15.00 USD.

Again that URL is

http://www.cafepress.com/trepan8/

Get yours today!

richa...@usa.nut

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

On 4 Oct 2000, Jack411411 wrote:

>How long did it take this group to "evolve"? I use the term loosely. And
>isn't that cute?--you have your own way of spelling things--"parunts."

[snip-o-rama]

0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
|*********************************************** |
|*********************************************** |
Troll-O-Meter

Am I poor at spotting these things or did I just read a ZERO-drink troll?

critt...@my-deja.com

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0010041145180.35802-100000@shell-
1.enteract.com>,
@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@@
This could be construed as mentioning his/our genes

Jason G

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

>On 04 Oct 2000 14:02:11 GMT, jack4...@aol.com (Jack411411) wrote:
>
>>Isn't the Internet wonderful? No matter how perverse your belief, no matter

> how ridden with contradiction your philosophy, no matter how essentially repugnant
>>your mindless ravings might be

Yeah, kinda like how them uppity niggers were so damn repugnant to the
respectable white folks, demanding freedom from slavery and all, contradicting
the Bible and everything. And then we say fine and let them off the
plantation out of the goodness of our hearts, and THEN those ungrateful
niggers start griping that they don't have the vote, start agitating and
bitching about not being able to eat at the same restaurants as normal white
folk instead of being happy with their own perfectly good restaurants and
water fountains and all. Buncha mindless raving perverts, contradicting the
perfectly reasonable majority view and all.

Don't they realize that America is a democracy, and in a democracy, the
majority rules?

The nerve.

Silently Mad

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Oh ye gods don't you just HATE those things??
*shudder*
the horror.

Silently Mad

dph...@my-deja.com

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
In article <39db5f46$1...@goliath2.newsfeeds.com>,
jrgusenet@REMOVE_ooo_THIS_xxx_PART_yahoo.com (Jason G) wrote:
> jlaf...@aol.com (Jack Moore) made obeisance before Us and spake
thusly:

> >I think the title is _I Don't Need A Baby To Be Who I Am_--I might
have missed
> >a word.
>
> "... Goddamnit!"
>
> --
> Jason G

You are definitely *on* today, Jason.

--
--dph.

(preferred email: dhayes AT iname DOT com)

Virginia

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

Silently Mad wrote:

> Oh ye gods don't you just HATE those things??
> *shudder*
> the horror.
>
> Silently Mad

Hate, loathe, despise!!! A perfect 10 on the barfometer!

va :)

Rat & Swan

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Jack Moore wrote:

> Hi, ASCMers. I'm Jack Moore.

how nice for you

> A while back I wrote a novelty book dealing with baby laughter.

Saw in in a store. Picked it up eagerly to flip through it. Imagine my
disappointment! I had misread the title as Baby Slaughter. Oh well, too
bad. I had hoped it might be interesting.

> Today, a friend
> Emailed me with an item from this newsgroup that made reference to my book. I
> was flattered, so I thought I'd take a look. I've had dozens of cutesy reviews
> of my book, but my friend said this one was special. To my surprise, someone
> had entered an excerpt from my book in a "Disgusting Quotes" thread.

> I had written, "Whenever a baby laughs, our humanity is somehow exaulted." I
> must admit, I DID get a kick out of the post. Maybe "exaulted" was it bit much.

Well... one letter too much, anyway... Actually, do you know what
exalts humanity? I'll tell you. The happy laughter of an older person,
shut-in and lonely, when visited by someone she loves. The excited cry
of a scientist when the results come in and his theory is proven
correct. The gentle sigh of a dying person who has lived a full and
happy life. The click-click of a guide dog's nails on pavement as she
leads her blind owner safely down a crowded noisy street. The smile on
the face of the dog's trainer as he watches his work and hope become
confidence and independence for that blind person.
The rustle of a newspaper as a happily married childfree couple sit in
companionable silence in their breakfast nook. The beauty of an opera
singer's first notes in a beloved aria. The shreik of a siren as
firefighters rush to risk their lives for strangers yet AGAIN. The
crackle of waxed paper as a baker puts an extra doughnut in his
customer's sack, free of charge.

What exalts humanity? Companionship. Generosity. Courage. Exploration.
Love.

Any... ALL of these make the laughter of a baby pale in comparison!
The ADULT mind and heart, reaching out in compassion, the ADULT efforts
to make society a better place, in the face of cynicism and distrust. I
prefer to find MY inspiration in the *present* not in somecloudy
"future" that supposedly belongs to that laughing baby. After all, as a
baby, Hitler, Pol Pot, Fidel Castro, Ghengiz Khan, Typhoid Mary, Stalin
and Idi Amin ALL lauged!! Sorry, but I'll find MY inspiration in the
here and now, from people who are already here and active. I won't turn
my back on THEM to embrace some putative laughing baby who is unproven,
has done NOTHING YET! Other than shit, spit up. cry and laugh. By the
way... a lot of that laughter is just gas.

Now, shoo!

Swan

Jack411411

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Pete wrote:

>Hey FUCKHEAD!
>Guess what? Nobody gives one rat's ass >about what a breeding PIG like
>you thinks of us.

I don't know, Pete. Sounds like you're pretty interested to me. I bet you're
pounding your fist on that computer console as you peck away your hosility.
Learn a few words, Pete. Dem cuss words wear thin after a while. But I guess,
when you have a captive audience, all chanting the same mindless party line,
anything will suffice, as long as it's nasty.

There's something refreshing in all of this--something promising. It's this:
groups like yours, based on hate, name calling, all aimed at THEM, never
flourish. Whether it's the Klan, Gay bashers or baby haters, there's a limited
pool of misfits from which you can draw. So you come together in your wretched
huddles, patting each other on the back, extolling brazen defiance-- all done
under the anonymity of the Internet. I'd imagine you find that far more
practical that meeting in the woods, wearing white hoods.

You don't like kids? Don't have one. You find a loud whining kid in the
supermarket offensive, why wouldn't you voice your discontent there? Because
that takes fortitude. Better to wait until you get back to that keyboard.

And don't even refer to yourselves in the same breath as gays--people who want
no more than to be left to their own choice. You misfits go far beyond that.
The irony of it is you participate in the same sick collective spirit that was
responsible for producing computer tough hate mongers like you. They said,
"Have babies, or there's something wrong." You say, "Having babies is wrong."
Is this bunch of bozos so bound to it's own Little Red Book that intolerance is
not examined but applauded.

So try . . .just try to assert yourselves a little more in real life.

Finally, I didn't come into this newsgroup to attack anyone. I came here
because I thought it was kind of comical that someone quoted me in discussion
of "Most Disgusting Quotes. I admitted I got a kick out of it, and I would have
left then, but I was attacked by a pack of dogs.

So let the hatred resume.

Jack Moore

Musketaquid

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
In article <20001004100211...@ng-cs1.aol.com>,
jack4...@aol.com (Jack411411) wrote:

<snippage of attempted taunts from nervy guy who himself chose baby
laughter as topic worthy of an entire book...funny, not the first
credential I would bring to establish the value of my opinions>

> You guys show all the imagination of a Maoist at a pep rally.

Psst, I'm sure what you meant to say is, "You bring insight not unlike
a Taoist to the unenlightened." You're welcome. Don't worry, I won't
tell. There, there. Could happen to anyone.

-Musketaquid (preferring a million Lao Tzus to any one Mao)

Jason G

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
jack4...@aol.com (Jack411411) made obeisance before Us and spake thusly:

>You don't like kids? Don't have one.

Right-o. Already took care of that.

>You find a loud whining kid in the
>supermarket offensive, why wouldn't you voice your discontent there? Because
>that takes fortitude. Better to wait until you get back to that keyboard.

Boy, do you have a complete lack of knowledge of the people in this group.
Plenty of people voice their discontent in real life. Pete is even one of the
more in-your-face about it.

>So try . . .just try to assert yourselves a little more in real life.

We have. And we will. Thanks for the pep talk. See you up against the wall
come the revolution.

richa...@usa.nut

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

On 4 Oct 2000, Jack-off wrote:

>So you come together in your wretched huddles, patting each other on the
>back, extolling brazen defiance-- all done under the anonymity of the
>Internet. I'd imagine you find that far more practical that meeting in
>the woods, wearing white hoods.

Actually, some of us prefer the highly-vegetated back porch of a
well-compensated [1] La Jolla homeowner, complete with CNN tapes, dancing
girls, Bloodhound Gang remixes, expensive craft beer, and other hedonistic
thrills.

Damn our greedy, selfish, bitter, and barren souls. Hell has a special
place for us, Jack-o.

>You don't like kids? Don't have one. You find a loud whining kid in the

>supermarket offensive, why wouldn't you voice your discontent there?
>Because that takes fortitude. Better to wait until you get back to that
>keyboard.

Sounds great, until it's *your* brat that earns you our face-to-face
wrath. How will you handle that?

>And don't even refer to yourselves in the same breath as gays--people
>who want no more than to be left to their own choice.

That's a pretty big generalization, don't you think?

>So try . . .just try to assert yourselves a little more in real life.

Give us your complete name, address, and telephone number. You can be at
the top of the list. We've got your real life right here...

RM

[1] Maybe he's not well-compensated, but he can appear that way because
he's _________.

Rat & Swan

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Jack411411 wrote:

> How long did it take this group to "evolve"? I use the term loosely.

We've been around. Oh, and don't use that word around most parents...
they want to shield their children from anything but Creationist
claptrap.

> And isn't
> that cute?--you have your own way of spelling things--"parunts." And that
> "breeders"! You guys show all the imagination of a Maoist at a pep rally.

And tell,e.Sparky, how 'original' it is to be all drooly over a baby?
Nobody's done THAT before, now HAVE they? You remind me of a shopkeeper
I met once. In the window was a beautiful display of ceramic cats,
little pewter kittens, mugs with kitty faces, all adorable. I went
inside and saw towels, pictures, ashtrays, statuettes, all of sweet
adorable kitties. Then I saw the lady behind the counter. Heavyset
with a cigarette dangling from her lip, she was sitting behind the
displays watching Jerry Springer. I "ahem"ed several times before I got
her attention. Finally she got up and
shambled over to me. "Yeah..." she said in a flat voice, vaguely annoyed
in a bovine way to be torn from the mayhem onscreen.

I complimented her on her merchandise, bought a set of cat salt and
ppepper shakers. "Do you have cats?" I asked. "Uh uh." she said in a
bored tone. "Well, then, you LIKE cats...right?"I asked. She shook her
head "Not really." I was puzzled. "Well, then, why do you devote your
whole shop to cat items?" I asked, genuinely interested. She looked up,
twitched a smile and said in her detached monotone "They sell."

Babies sell. Write a book on the laughter of infants and the world will
beat a path to your door. You have found a reflex in the public knee and
you'll whang away with your little rubber mallet until you get the
inevitable kick. Fine. Just don't expect the WHOLE friggin world to bow
and scrape at your door. Not EV-ryone *adoooooores* children! Rest
assured that enough breeders remain out there that you can sell your
droolencrusted books to, and make a fairly decent living at it. "They
sell."

> Do
> you have shirts? If so, I bet they'd look something like bowling shirts. Sort
> of keeps you all together, doesn't it, with the huddling together like so many
> thugs on a street corner, denying their own insecurities over and over and over
> and . . .

Actually, they're tee-shirts with an image of an evilly grinning wealthy
childfree person, candy hanging out of his pocket, tossing and catching
a pacifier, as a
malodorous, dirty, shreiking infant sits in a puddle of its own urine in
front of him. The caption reads "What Would SWAN Do?" On the reverse
it reads "alt.support.childfree and alt.support.childfree.moderated Set
Yourself Free!"

We market to NON-breeders.

> Isn't the Internet wonderful? No matter how perverse your belief,

Perverse? What's perverse about deciding NOT to have a baby? Or is
Mother Theresa a pervert?How about the Pope? Hell, even JESUS chose not
to spawn. You callin' Jesus Christ, the Lord a PERVERT? Holy cow you ARE
evil!

> no matter how
> ridden with contradiction your philosophy,

Contradiction? I don't like kids and I won't have 'em. What's
contradictory? Now you take that kid JonBenet Ramsey's folks... They
tarted her uplike a Lolita, paraded her little toddlerbutt around like
Queen of the Whores, and then she was found splattered with semen, her
pweshuss widdle HEAD stove in with a golf club and a ROPE around her
neck. You want contradiction? THERE IT IS, JOCKO!!

TRUST ME, Darlin' no child-free person did her in! She died on the
ALTAR of kideeworship!! And according to the autopsy, the poor thing did
NOT die a virgin!

> no matter how essentially repugnant

> your mindless ravings might be against millions of years of evolution,

You want repugnant?! Go to Calcutta, Mexico City, Bangalore, Cairo,
South Central Los Angeles, the backstreets of Brazil! You want
REPUGNANT, you check out the garment factories in China, the landfills
CHOKED with shitty Pampers that'll be around LONG after you and I are
worm-food! See the dry rivers, clear-cut forests, dead wastelands
covered with McMansions, the suburbs named after all the plants and
animals KILLED tomake room for them!v THAT is repugnant!

> there a place for you. Kinda like that song from West side Story--"There's A Place
> for Us."

Our place is IN YOUR FACE! Just like breeders are in OURS. Don't like
it? Don'tlook.

> I wonder, when is it, exactly, that these deplorable babies turn into the
> communicators who become part of your group, 1 year, 3 months? 10 years, 4
> months? You really should settle on a figure. How about your siblings? When you
> were 18, was your ten-year-old sibling acceptable?

I'll tell you when. When a kid, in school, tormented by bullies,
hassled for being "different" FINALLY realizes that children are little
savages and that the much vaunted "innocence" is really IGNORANCE. When
that child, who has managed to hold it together long enough to ESCAPE
instead of "Columbinize" his or her fucking school! That child becomes
childFREE and joins the movement! I was childfree the day that Chester
put ketchup in my textbook, the day Lisa tripped me on the stairs in
school. I became childfree when David broke my glasses with a rock
thrown at me! I became childfree when I SAW THROUGH the lies and
straight INTO the naked pulsating GREED of the world, the HATREDof
anyone different, the worm-eaten pretense of normalcy that IS
parunthood! TAKE your family values and SHOVE 'EM!

> I should thank you, though. I'll have to direct my friends to this group. They
> won't bother you--they'll just watch, for entertainment's sake. Kind of like

> going to the zoo. Once you get past the stink, it can be quite a diversion from
> dealing with people all day.

Bring 'em on! We've NEH-VERRRR had ANYONE troll here be-FORRRRRE! What
a refreshing breeze!

> >Whenever a baby laughs our humanity is >debased and life is cheapend.

> It's statements like this that make it impossible to dislike you. You're like
> the guy who walks down the street with a pinwheel on his head, collecting
> bottle caps, and mumbles and grumbles.

MAYBE... just maybe, he didn't BUY INTO the crap that society shovels
down your credulous gullet, day after day like an Ardennes foie-gras
goose, nailed to a board until its liver explodes on the shit it's fed!
Breedersociety nailed YOUR goose to a cross, fashioned from SUV bumpers
and strollers, then goose-stepped around it in celebration of the
lockstep mentality that will KILL humanity, not save it. TRUST me
Crunchynuts, you AINT rising in three days!

Now, take your dime-store philosophizing and your canned platitudes and
get the FUCK off our newsgroup! We've heard your shit before and it
AINT news!

Swan

"Don't bandy words with ME, Slime!" Cecil Adams

bkrrrrr

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
On 04 Oct 2000 19:24:47 GMT, Jack411411 spoke in tongues:

>And don't even refer to yourselves in the same breath as gays--people who want
>no more than to be left to their own choice. You misfits go far beyond that.
>The irony of it is you participate in the same sick collective spirit that was
>responsible for producing computer tough hate mongers like you.

Thank you for this glorious example of how NOT to communicate
with people. Kindly take the smug attitude elsewhere. Trolling
uppity newsgroups is beyond dumb.

>Finally, I didn't come into this newsgroup to attack anyone. I came here
>because I thought it was kind of comical that someone quoted me in discussion
>of "Most Disgusting Quotes. I admitted I got a kick out of it, and I would have
>left then, but I was attacked by a pack of dogs.

Welcome to Usenet.

--

bkr

CF++++;TK++;TPI++;A++;

Voris Tracy Van

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
On 4 Oct 2000, Jack411411 wrote:
<yawn> ...a bunch of condescending nonsense that we've heard so many times
before, even though HE believes that HE is saying something different or
special...

My husband and I often have Deep Philosophical Discussions on our bus ride
to work...hey, not only are we Childfree, but we are environmentally
conscious and use public transportation, too!

Here's something for you all to consider. Which Super Power would you
rather have:

A. Jedi Mind Power - the ability to influence others directly as in
"These aren't the 'Droids you're looking for." Basically, regardless of
what any single person thinks or believes, you would have the power to
change hir mind.

B. Control Invisibility - the ability to go invisible at will, and yes,
this includes your clothes, and no, it does not mean that if you eat
something we could watch your digestion.

We have found in our totally unscientific polling of coworkers and friends
on campus and via e-mail that extroverts prefer Super Power: Jedi Mind
Power while introverts prefer Super Power: Control Invisibility.

Discuss.

T.

Marnie

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
You wrote:

> There's something refreshing in all of this--something promising. It's
this:
> groups like yours, based on hate, name calling, all aimed at THEM, never
> flourish. Whether it's the Klan, Gay bashers or baby haters, there's a
limited

> pool of misfits from which you can draw. So you come together in your

wretched
> huddles, patting each other on the back, extolling brazen defiance-- all
done
> under the anonymity of the Internet. I'd imagine you find that far more
> practical that meeting in the woods, wearing white hoods.

You referred to us as "animals in a zoo" because we are different than you
are and you compare US to the Klan?

> You don't like kids? Don't have one. You find a loud whining kid in the
> supermarket offensive, why wouldn't you voice your discontent there?
Because
> that takes fortitude. Better to wait until you get back to that keyboard.

And if we did you would say that we didn't have the right to impose our
feelings on thise people. You would prefer baby hating directly to the face
of a baby instead of harmless messages amoung ourselves.

> And don't even refer to yourselves in the same breath as gays--people who
want
> no more than to be left to their own choice.

Many gays want more than that. They are political. They want hate crime
bills passed. Civil Unions. Adoption. They want to be a part of society not
apart from society. Once again you generalize about a group of people based
on one aspect of their lives.

You misfits go far beyond that.

There's that baby loving warmth again. Look around you. There are many
leaders of our society and world history in all aspects of civilization that
did not have children. Writing a "novelty book" makes you so superior?

> The irony of it is you participate in the same sick collective spirit that
was

> responsible for producing computer tough hate mongers like you. They said,
> "Have babies, or there's something wrong."

What "mongers"? Who says?

>You say, "Having babies is wrong."

No we say it is for each of in particular. We are entitled to our own lives.

> Is this bunch of bozos so bound to it's own Little Red Book that
intolerance is
> not examined but applauded.

Once again, I don't have a clue what you mean.

> So try . . .just try to assert yourselves a little more in real life.

We should go to support groups in person and berate the people we disagree
with then? Like you Mr. Assertive at the keyboard?

> Finally, I didn't come into this newsgroup to attack anyone. I came here
> because I thought it was kind of comical that someone quoted me in
discussion
> of "Most Disgusting Quotes.

That curiousity would have been a few minutes of skimming and realizing that
this isn't a group for you. Is it such a revelation that some people do not
like "Baby Laughter"?

>I admitted I got a kick out of it, and I would have
> left then, but I was attacked by a pack of dogs.

If it was the spelling corrections that you refer to, I wonder how you
responded to english teachers in your life. If it was the immediate
defensive posture some posters took with you, you have more than justified
their position with your comments. You aren't the first aggressive parent to
come and try and stir up trouble and it's this "intolerance" of us that is
stated unprovoked in a group that is intended to support that deserves to be
addressed and confronted when encountered.

> So let the hatred resume.

I rest my case. You are enjoying hatred. And by your many posts you are
sitting at your computer encouraging this dialogue. Don't you have children
you could be with instead?

IleneB

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

'snip' Swan's ultimate statement.

Once a childless woman I knew said something like, "It's so wonderful
when a child is fascinated by a butterfly" and I said, "It's so much
more wonderful when an adult, who *knows* the options, is fascinated.

But Jack probably has already left, since this is a hate group and all.

Ilene B

In article <39DB82...@pacbell.net>, Rat & Swan <lab...@pacbell.net>

Mr. Chance

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

> So let the hatred resume.

No, no Jack, we don't hate you, we *pity* you.

Jim

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 17:28:28 GMT, Grim <vra...@my-deja.com> wrote:

>In article <Pine.BSF.4.21.0010041145180.35802-100000@shell-
>1.enteract.com>,
> richa...@usa.nut wrote:
>>

>> On 4 Oct 2000, Jack411411 wrote:
>>

>> >How long did it take this group to "evolve"? I use the term loosely.

>And
>> >isn't that cute?--you have your own way of spelling things--
>"parunts."
>>

>> [snip-o-rama]

>> Troll-O-Meter

>> 0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
>> +--------------------------------------------------+
>> |*********************************************** |
>> |*********************************************** |
>> +--------------------------------------------------+

>> Am I poor at spotting these things or did I just read a ZERO-drink
>troll?
>

>This particular troll is such an asswipe, he warrants an IV drip of all
>the liquor left in Jason's house.
>
>Grim

You had liquor left over? I'm shocked.

Jim - shocked I tell you.

Jim

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 12:06:29 -0500, richa...@usa.nut wrote:

>On 4 Oct 2000, Jack411411 wrote:
>
>>How long did it take this group to "evolve"? I use the term loosely. And
>>isn't that cute?--you have your own way of spelling things--"parunts."
>
>[snip-o-rama]
>

>0 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10
>+--------------------------------------------------+
>|*********************************************** |
>|*********************************************** |
>+--------------------------------------------------+

> Troll-O-Meter

>Am I poor at spotting these things or did I just read a ZERO-drink troll?

Okay folks, time to add to the drinking game.
1/2 drink for mentions of evolution

Jim

Noelle

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
IleneB <ile...@shore.net> wrote in message

> 'snip' Swan's ultimate statement.
>
> Once a childless woman I knew said something like, "It's so wonderful
> when a child is fascinated by a butterfly" and I said, "It's so much
> more wonderful when an adult, who *knows* the options, is fascinated.
>
> But Jack probably has already left, since this is a hate group and all.

Um. Good point.

Or, how about this: When I was 11 or so, I had a series of books that I kept
constantly checked out from the local public library. I never gave anyone
else a chance to check them out! One was a book about myths and monsters (I
took this on a 7th grade track meet trip and got told on because the book
had a picture of a bare-breasted harpy in it), one was a "Doonesbury"
collection, and another was a collection of political cartoons dating from
the 1700s. Those were just about my favorite books at that age, but I
appreciated them SO much more as an adult!

Why are people so fascinated by children's or babies' reactions to things?
Babies will laugh at anything. Babies will eat their own poop, given half a
chance. They're NOT discriminating connoisseurs! It reminds me of the line
from one of Gallagher's routines where he wonders why the taste of cat food
is a big deal; cats lick their own butts!

--
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
http://www.fastlane.net/~gnoelle

Mr. Chance

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

"Jim" <flam...@cybercomm.net> wrote in message

> Okay folks, time to add to the drinking game.
> 1/2 drink for mentions of evolution

Beautiful. Are the rules on the website or in the FAQ?

Jason G

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Musketaquid <muske...@my-deja.com> made obeisance before Us and spake thusly:

>-Musketaquid (preferring a million Lao Tzus to any one Mao)

I prefer Lao Ma, that Chinese chick from Xena last season. Yowza!

Carol Merriam

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Too true, Noelle. Babies are idiots. They laugh at anything. When they
are older children, they become more discriminating, and laugh at people who
are different. Why is this fascinating?

--
Film at Eleven

"It is just possible that humanity will continue,
but I will take no responsibility for contributing
to such confusion"
Christopher Morley, "The Man Who Made
Friends With Himself"
Noelle wrote in message ...

>Why are people so fascinated by children's or babies' reactions to things?
>Babies will laugh at anything. Babies will eat their own poop, given half a

>chance. They're NOT discriminating connoisseurs! Omnia mutantur, nihil
interit.
>http://www.fastlane.net/~gnoelle

John & Mari Morgan

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

Archivist? This paragraph just Says It All.

Mari

On Wed, 04 Oct 2000 12:19:31 -0700, Rat & Swan <lab...@pacbell.net>
wrote:

>Any... ALL of these make the laughter of a baby pale in comparison!

>The ADULT mind and heart, reaching out in compassion, the ADULT efforts

Jason G

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Jim <flam...@cybercomm.net> made obeisance before Us and spake thusly:

>You had liquor left over? I'm shocked.
>
>Jim - shocked I tell you.

You have no idea. I was was stuffing bottles into Pete and Grim's hands the
next day when they stopped by for brunch.

The reasons are:

1) I WAY overbought. I was having a lot of fun planning the party and didn't
really know what I was doing or how many people would come so I just kept
buying stuff that I thought looked cool.

2) A lot more people brought a LOT more stuff with them than was indicated on
the web page, so there was even more.

3) Several folks decided not to stay over, so they stopped drinking early and
switched to water. Thanks to all for being smart about it like that.

But even with having probably 50 bottles of various things left over, I hauled
out no fewer than THREE huge bags of empties.

Next party, I'll also buy fewer sodas and more water.

Jack Moore

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
The regrettable thing is that your own parents did not feel the same way.
Whoops! I think I hear one of the cookie cutter personalities in the background
yelling, "We heard that one before!"

I have seen or read items by people who choose not to have children. That's
their business, not mine. They're assertive, frank and up-front people who
oppose the implicit constrictions foisted upon them by the majority. That's not
this group. Fortunately, you closet psychos make up a
very tiny subset of those who prefer not to have children. And I'd be willing
to bet that when one or more of you does leave the sewer, all dressed up like a
human being, that you tone down your act considerably. That "childless by
choice support group" looks pretty respectable at the top of your letterhead,
but even a cursory reading of your posts betrays any claim of legitimacy.

But now the good news. Fortunately, most of you are stupid. Setting the topic
aside, I can see that by the way you present the non-ideas; by the way you
stomp your feet when a non-member approaches your treehouse. Maybe you bozos
should have a password at the door--you know, just to keep out new ideas. Those
things can really spread if you don't douse them immediately. Maybe you could
just have Pete curse at them.

Have fun, kids! And remember, even if you win the war against babies, they'll
always be other things out there for you to hate.

Jack Moore

Julia

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Jack411411 wrote:

[snip]

> You don't like kids? Don't have one. You find a loud whining kid in the
> supermarket offensive, why wouldn't you voice your discontent there? Because
> that takes fortitude. Better to wait until you get back to that keyboard.

Oh yeah. Cause even I, who have been hanging around this newsgroup for
mere months, know that Pete is not the type to speak up in public at
all. Heh.

[snip self-righteousness]

> So try . . .just try to assert yourselves a little more in real life.

I'm sure we'll all take that under advisement. Thank so much. Bye now!

Julia
--
jso...@rocketmail.com
personal site: http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Lofts/3722

Renee

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
On 04 Oct 2000 21:25:11 GMT, jlaf...@aol.com (Jack Moore) stamped his
little feet and clenched his little fists, and tried to sound urbane
and haughty, while ultimately saying:

Nothing we haven't heard before, toasted to a crisp, and moved beyond
in a blaze of chocolate and fine single-malt.

When, oh when, will one of these people come up with something
original? Probably never.

Anyhow, last year someone provided a dandy sweet potato pie recipe,
which I've lost sometime in the past 12 months. Could folks share
their finest versions with this poor Canadian facing Thanksgiving this
weekend?

Renee

Rat & Swan

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
IleneB wrote:

> Once a childless woman I knew said something like, "It's so wonderful
> when a child is fascinated by a butterfly" and I said, "It's so much
> more wonderful when an adult, who *knows* the options, is fascinated.

I'll tell you about one moment that will stay with me forever! It was
ata summer retreat for blind teenagers. I was 19 orso. One young woman,
about my age, totally blind from birth, asked me what a butterfly was
like. She had never touched one.

It took some doing, but I finally caught one. Very gently, I placed the
still alive butterfly in her hand, holding it by the body. As it
calmed, it settled onto her palm. Her fingers gently brushed the wings
and it fluttered and flew away, free again. "Oh!" she gasped in
wonderment, "It's just like a flying flower!" I could add nothing to
that moment and it lives in my mental treasurehouse as a moment when the
sun broke through in my life!

Swan

Wishing we had more flying flowers and fewer laughing infants.

vicste...@mailexcite.com

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
You know, Jack. It would be a crying shame if all of us evil,
childfrees went over to Amazon and reviewed your book. After all,
considering your actions here, we have to wonder what your 97 ways to
make a baby laugh are.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761107363/o/qid=970694798/sr=8-5/ref=aps_sr_b_2_2/102-1563253-0996930

I mean. Children are the future, and I don't know if we want a troll
influencing them.

Mr. Chance

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

<vicste...@mailexcite.com> wrote in message

> You know, Jack. It would be a crying shame if all of us evil,
> childfrees went over to Amazon and reviewed your book. After all,
> considering your actions here, we have to wonder what your 97 ways to
> make a baby laugh are.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/0761107363/o/qid=970694798/sr=8-5/ref
=aps_sr_b_2_2/102-1563253-0996930

Ha! I'm way ahead of ya. I already submitted a review. I played
it straight but I put a clue in the 'Where are you located box?'.
I think they take a few days to post up.

Chance

Musketaquid

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
In article <39db9...@goliath2.newsfeeds.com>,
jrgusenet@REMOVE_ooo_THIS_xxx_PART_yahoo.com (Jason G) wrote:
> Musketaquid <muske...@my-deja.com> made obeisance before Us and
spake thusly:

> >-Musketaquid (preferring a million Lao Tzus to any one Mao)
> >

> I prefer Lao Ma, that Chinese chick from Xena last season. Yowza!
>
> --
> Jason G

Then there's Laos, that tiny Asian country, though I don't know if I'd
prefer it or not, not having been there...

-Musketaquid

Noelle

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

> The regrettable thing is that your own parents did not feel the same way.
> Whoops! I think I hear one of the cookie cutter personalities in the
background
> yelling, "We heard that one before!"

It's utterly ineffective as insult, threat, rejoinder or one-uppance.
Because, if my parents had felt the same way (and, by the way, which parents
do I count? The ones who birthed me or the ones who adopted me?), then I
wouldn't be here, and nothing would bother me. Or I'd be here, but I'd be in
some other body End of argument. If we come back in a chorus of "We've heard
that one before," then who are the cookie cutters? How about the drones who
throw it at us, thinking it's original? You ought to see our Drinking Game.

> But now the good news. Fortunately, most of you are stupid. Setting the
topic
> aside, I can see that by the way you present the non-ideas; by the way you
> stomp your feet when a non-member approaches your treehouse. Maybe you
bozos
> should have a password at the door--you know, just to keep out new ideas.
Those
> things can really spread if you don't douse them immediately. Maybe you
could
> just have Pete curse at them.

Oh, Jack. You started out coherent and intelligent. This just smacks of "I
know you are, but what am I?" Fortunately, just because you say something
doesn't make it true.

How can something be a "non-idea"? It tickles the Misanthropic Bitch for
someone to try to insult her by referring to her site as a "so-called
website". It's there, it's on the web...ergo, it IS a website!

And if you had ANY clue whatsoever how tired we are of your ilk, maybe you
could understand what goes on here a little better. New ideas? New ideas are
cool. However, trolling, insulting, and anti-charter nonsense are not. We
get enough of that shit in the real world, thanks very much.

> Have fun, kids! And remember, even if you win the war against babies,
they'll
> always be other things out there for you to hate.

Mmm. How about smug, superior types who just have to show us the rough sides
of their tongues?

No, really, there's not much in this life that I honestly HATE. Just not
worth the time or negative energy. Just remember, YOU set the tone of this
little fracas when you decided to come in and try to insult and degrade us.
We have no need to explain or justify ourselves to anyone, and I sincerely
doubt that your words will be remembered long after their pixels have faded
from the screen.

It's that whole issue of not being worth the time or negative energy to
worry about, again.

Musketaquid

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
In article <BINC5.1133$G5.2...@read1.centurytel.net>,
"Noelle" <gno...@fastlane.net> wrote:

<excerpt only>

> No, really, there's not much in this life that I honestly HATE. Just
not
> worth the time or negative energy. Just remember, YOU set the tone of
this
> little fracas when you decided to come in and try to insult and
degrade us.

Well said, Noelle. The use of the word HATE has become the latest
cheap defense when all else fails. And it always strikes me as ironic
that the very people wielding that accusation tend to be the very ones
that enter into a support group uninvited. Then, when shockingly,
their posts are not welcome with open arms, they resort to the hate
group angle. That this particular troll tacked on the accusation of
nonoriginality only amplifies the irony! Not to mention, the mere act
of making such an accusation is in itself a hateful act, no? Pot.
Kettle. Black.

-Musketaquid (who wonders how many of these trolls feel equally at ease
in invading alt.recovery.aa with their unempathetic nuggets of "wisdom")

Jason G

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
vicste...@mailexcite.com (vicste...@mailexcite.com) made obeisance before Us and spake thusly:

>You know, Jack. It would be a crying shame if all of us evil,
>childfrees went over to Amazon and reviewed your book. After all,
>considering your actions here, we have to wonder what your 97 ways to
>make a baby laugh are.

Wow. He has a son named "Brick". "Brick Moore". Wonder if he has a daughter
named "Sheetrock" or something.

vicste...@mailexcite.com

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:46:27 -0400, "Mr. Chance"
<cha...@notecrusher.com> wrote:

>Ha! I'm way ahead of ya. I already submitted a review. I played
>it straight but I put a clue in the 'Where are you located box?'.
>I think they take a few days to post up.

http://www.chapters.ca/books/details/default.asp?mscssid=9HSAFURE57SR2GTR00AKHCJKTTLP6N53&WSID=181019FD67279A3811D4A7BE0008C7DB32593004&ISBN=0761107363
I submitted mine online at chapters.ca. I doubt they will post it.

Bernice Reeder (get it?), Fenelon Falls, Ontario

Shameful

"I thought that this book would be a wonderful present for my best
friends shower, since I am a mom too! I found some very sinister
things in this book. Making faces? That involves making a mask, and it
is specifically forbidden by many respected religious doctrines. All
God-fearing parents should approach this book with great caution!

Bernice, mom to Tiffanney(8), Chayse (6), Taylor (5), Kayteelynn(4),
Carter (3), Broque (2) and Madyson (1)"

I think I need to shower after writing that.

>Chance

Mr. Chance

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

"Jason G" <jrgusenet@REMOVE_ooo_THIS_xxx_PART_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >So try . . .just try to assert yourselves a little more in real life.
>

> We have. And we will. Thanks for the pep talk. See you up against the
wall
> come the revolution.

That would be 'up against the wall *motherfucker*'

meb

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

I'm an INTP according to the Briggs-Meyer-Hooey-Whatever
personality tests.

I would most definitely prefer the Jedi Mind Power!
=8-} ( <- The best evil grin I can muster)

-Mb

Voris Tracy Van wrote:

Mr. Chance

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

> I submitted mine online at chapters.ca. I doubt they will post it.

Really? Why? Amazon clearly doesn't screen anything
they post. I saw one review that said, "Please buy this
book from an independent reseller or directly from the
publisher." Beautiful.

> Bernice Reeder (get it?), Fenelon Falls, Ontario
>
> Shameful
>
> "I thought that this book would be a wonderful present for my best
> friends shower, since I am a mom too! I found some very sinister
> things in this book. Making faces? That involves making a mask, and it
> is specifically forbidden by many respected religious doctrines. All
> God-fearing parents should approach this book with great caution!
>
> Bernice, mom to Tiffanney(8), Chayse (6), Taylor (5), Kayteelynn(4),
> Carter (3), Broque (2) and Madyson (1)"
>
> I think I need to shower after writing that.

Are you kidding? You should get your own syndicated
column, that's priceless!

richa...@usa.nut

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00

On Wed, 4 Oct 2000, Jason G wrote:

>You have no idea. I was was stuffing bottles into Pete and Grim's hands the
>next day when they stopped by for brunch.

>The reasons are:

[snip]

I felt like a cheapskate for taking back home 90% of what I brought, plus
a few extra goodies. I don't feel so bad about it now. Do I need to
issue a call tag for UPS to bring me some more of your alcohol? LOL!

RM <-- Rehab is for quitters!

Pete

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Naw man, her name's "Shingle."...Pete

In article <39dbb...@goliath2.newsfeeds.com>,

Pete

Oct 4, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/4/00
Wrong again Binky. I hate him and ALL breeders. And they're *ALL*
breeders...every single one of them...Pete

In article <8rg59r$hlt9h$1...@ID-50037.news.cis.dfn.de>, "Mr. Chance"

Citizen Ted

Oct 4, 2000, 8:33:48 PM10/4/00
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 16:20:17 -0400, Voris Tracy Van
<alu...@panther.Gsu.EDU> wrote:

>We have found in our totally unscientific polling of coworkers and friends
>on campus and via e-mail that extroverts prefer Super Power: Jedi Mind
>Power while introverts prefer Super Power: Control Invisibility.

It would be Jedi Mind Power for me. I am alternately
introverted/extroverted. I treasure my time alone, but I'm gregarious
and have many friends.

With Jedi Mind Power, I would convince those who cut me off in
traffic to careen into the oncoming lane. I would convince moomies and
duhdies to bitch-slap their brats across the face when they misbehave
in my presence. Of course, I would also force the teller to just hand
over a few fisfuls of 100's when I stop by to make a deposit.

But Jedi Mind Power is not my favorite super-power. Mine is
the stretch-power exhibited by that guy in the Fantastic Four. With
ultra-stretch power, I could get my keys from a locked car. I could
plug in my scanner without getting on my knees. Most commonly, I could
switch off the hall light without having to get out of bed.

Oh yeah: you know those times when you get all toasty warm in
your winter comforter, only to discover you suddenly have to take a
wicked pee?

Heh heh!

- TR
- aspiring super-hero.

TudorLdy

Oct 4, 2000, 11:24:49 PM10/4/00
>> Am I poor at spotting these things or did I just read a ZERO-drink
>troll?
>
>This particular troll is such an asswipe, he warrants an IV drip of all
>the liquor left in Jason's house.
>
>Grim

Wait -- there's liquor *left* at Jason's house?

Meagn
(who might be able to go next year. Maybe. Depends.)

Remove knickers before replying.

oce...@my-deja.com

Oct 5, 2000, 12:02:55 AM10/5/00

>You find a loud whining kid in the supermarket offensive, why wouldn't
>you voice your discontent there? Because that takes fortitude. Better
>to wait until you get back to that keyboard.

Actually, many of us DO confront pahrunts about their ill-behaved
spawn, Pete being one of the best at it (hoists whiskey and Contracts
text at Pete in a toast).

> And don't even refer to yourselves in the same breath as gays--people
>who want no more than to be left to their own choice. You misfits go
>far beyond that.

Ahem.
Unless you yourself are gay, don't you DARE say a damn thing about what
gay folk do or do not want. I happen to be queer, and I can tell you,
I've heard the "oh you hateful misfit" song-and-dance before. I can
also say that it's usually the guilty conscience of someone who knows
full well their part in oppressing someone else. We called you on the
carpet - at least have the good grace to admit it.

>I admitted I got a kick out of it, and I would have left then, but I
>was attacked by a pack of dogs.

> So let the hatred resume.

What, the hatred you displayed by attacking people the minute they
refused to agree with you? Nobody's making you stay here, bud. Point of
fact, most of us would like you to leave. I'm sure there's someone just
as smug and self-congratulatory as you that you could chat with about
these horrible "misfits" you've found. By the way, the comparisons to
Communism and Maoist this-and-that are so passe...

Hilary

Oct 5, 2000, 12:40:34 AM10/5/00

> So let the hatred resume.
>
> Jack Moore

Hey Jack...we totally "slayed you", so, as Willow would say,
we're ..."bored now".

GO AWAY! What part of that did you fail to grasp the first 20 or 30
times?
--
A woman without a child is like a fish without a bicycle.

Winnie

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00

Jack Moore wrote:

> Hi, ASCMers. I'm Jack Moore.
>
> A while back I wrote a novelty book dealing with baby laughter. Today, a friend
> Emailed me with an item from this newsgroup that made reference to my book. I
> was flattered, so I thought I'd take a look. I've had dozens of cutesy reviews
> of my book, but my friend said this one was special. To my surprise, someone
> had entered an excerpt from my book in a "Disgusting Quotes" thread.
>
> I had written, "Whenever a baby laughs, our humanity is somehow exaulted." I
> must admit, I DID get a kick out of the post. Maybe "exaulted" was it bit much.

"Exasperated" might be a more accurate choice.

Winnie

dph...@my-deja.com

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
In article <39dba071...@nntp.uunet.ca>,

sma...@yahoo.com (Renee) wrote:
> On 04 Oct 2000 21:25:11 GMT, jlaf...@aol.com (Jack Moore) stamped his
> little feet and clenched his little fists, and tried to sound urbane
> and haughty, while ultimately saying:
>
> Nothing we haven't heard before, toasted to a crisp, and moved beyond
> in a blaze of chocolate and fine single-malt.
>
> When, oh when, will one of these people come up with something
> original? Probably never.

As long as ASCers continue talking to the boring trolls we will
continue to get boring trolls. We must 'raise the bar' by ignoring
the Jack Moores and the hpjeanies.

--
--dph.

(preferred email: dhayes AT iname DOT com)

hern...@mcmbox.med.nyu.edu

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
So, any other suggestions on Brussel sprouts? :)

Jack Moore wrote:

SNIPPED GREAT STUFF ON BRUSSEL SPROUTS!!

hern...@mcmbox.med.nyu.edu

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Jedi mind power for me please!

Cloudwalker wrote:

> In article <Pine.GSO.3.95.100100...@panther.Gsu.EDU>,

> Voris Tracy Van <alu...@panther.Gsu.EDU> wrote:
>

> <snip>

> > Here's something for you all to consider. Which Super Power would you
> > rather have:
> >
> > A. Jedi Mind Power - the ability to influence others directly as in
> > "These aren't the 'Droids you're looking for." Basically, regardless of
> > what any single person thinks or believes, you would have the power to
> > change hir mind.
> >
> > B. Control Invisibility - the ability to go invisible at will, and yes,
> > this includes your clothes, and no, it does not mean that if you eat
> > something we could watch your digestion.
>

> Jedi Mind Power. Definitely. It would almost be better than a spay ray.
> Unless, of course, I could have both Mind Power *and* a spay ray. Just
> think of the possibilities...
>
> Oh, BTW, I'm an introvert.
> --
> -CW-
>
> "Contrariwise," continued Tweedledee, "if it was so,
> it might be; and if it were so, it would be:
> but as it isn't, it ain't. That's logic."

Voris Tracy Van

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 hern...@mcmbox.med.nyu.edu wrote:
> Jedi mind power for me please!

Okay, okay - so it looks like I am the only person thus far who would
prefer invisibility. Fine.

While it would be bitchin' to be able to encourage idiots to off
themselves, sproggen to shut the hell up, bosses to give significant
raises, lovers to be willing and accessible at a whim....etc..., all of
this still means that you would have to actually give enough of a damn to
want to manipulate another's thought processes. Thanks, but no thanks.

I like the idea of never having to engage in any unwanted discourse. I
could go where ever I want, do whatever I want, eat whatever I want; and I
don't want much, but I do want to be left alone most of the time. Food,
clothing, shelter, and access to books and computers - that's what makes
me happy. You know, the little things in life.

I *would* want Jedi Mind Trick over Citizen Ted's stretcho-powers, though
having and extending hose would be nice on cold nights where I don't feel
like moving too much from my comfortable slumber.

Does anyone else have other Super Powers they'd like to bring to the
table?

T.

Message has been deleted

Naomi Diesendruck

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Voris Tracy Van <alu...@panther.Gsu.EDU> wrote:
>On Thu, 5 Oct 2000 hern...@mcmbox.med.nyu.edu wrote:
>> Jedi mind power for me please!
>
>Okay, okay - so it looks like I am the only person thus far who would
>prefer invisibility. Fine.

Actually, daydreaming about invisibility has long been one of
my favorite fantasies. For some reason I've never even thought of
having mind power as described (telepathy, yes.)

>While it would be bitchin' to be able to encourage idiots to off
>themselves, sproggen to shut the hell up, bosses to give significant
>raises, lovers to be willing and accessible at a whim....etc..., all of
>this still means that you would have to actually give enough of a damn to
>want to manipulate another's thought processes. Thanks, but no thanks.

Although I find the idea of Jedi mind power incredibly tempting and
useful, the thought of really using it gives me the creeps. No matter
how right I think my opinions are, I just wouldn't want the responsibility
of directly changing other people's minds. Plus, I think I would find
it somehow unsatisfying to change people's opinions in a way other than
by my persuasive arguments. Not to be a wet blanket :)

>I like the idea of never having to engage in any unwanted discourse. I
>could go where ever I want, do whatever I want, eat whatever I want; and I
>don't want much, but I do want to be left alone most of the time. Food,
>clothing, shelter, and access to books and computers - that's what makes
>me happy. You know, the little things in life.
>
>I *would* want Jedi Mind Trick over Citizen Ted's stretcho-powers, though
>having and extending hose would be nice on cold nights where I don't feel
>like moving too much from my comfortable slumber.

I haven't seen the stretcho-power post yet.

>Does anyone else have other Super Powers they'd like to bring to the
>table?

Telekinesis would be mucho cool - convenient, easy to use to your
advantage in myriad ways (from avoiding car accidents to winning
at roullette to saving the earth from an asteroid, etc.)

- Naomi D.

Jim

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
<alu...@panther.Gsu.EDU> wrote:

>On 4 Oct 2000, Jack411411 wrote:
><yawn> ...a bunch of condescending nonsense that we've heard so many times
>before, even though HE believes that HE is saying something different or
>special...
>
>My husband and I often have Deep Philosophical Discussions on our bus ride
>to work...hey, not only are we Childfree, but we are environmentally
>conscious and use public transportation, too!
>

>Here's something for you all to consider. Which Super Power would you
>rather have:
>
>A. Jedi Mind Power - the ability to influence others directly as in
>"These aren't the 'Droids you're looking for." Basically, regardless of
>what any single person thinks or believes, you would have the power to
>change hir mind.
>
>B. Control Invisibility - the ability to go invisible at will, and yes,
>this includes your clothes, and no, it does not mean that if you eat
>something we could watch your digestion.

Was someone reading the Donald Westlake [*] book _Smoke_?

>We have found in our totally unscientific polling of coworkers and friends
>on campus and via e-mail that extroverts prefer Super Power: Jedi Mind
>Power while introverts prefer Super Power: Control Invisibility.
>

>Discuss.
>
>T.

If those are the only two choices, I'll take invisibility. But then
I'm an INTP. What I'd really like is the ability to stop time, as in
the John D. MacDonald novel _The Girl, The Gold Watch, and
Everything_.

Jim
* Wonderful author when he's writing humor (the Dortmunder series),
but kind of plodding when being serious (Humans, Axe). The
aforementioned _Smoke_ and _Under an English Heaven_ are the notable
exceptions.

Jim

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
On Wed, 4 Oct 2000 17:07:18 -0400, "Mr. Chance"
<cha...@notecrusher.com> wrote:

>"Jim" <flam...@cybercomm.net> wrote in message
>> Okay folks, time to add to the drinking game.
>> 1/2 drink for mentions of evolution
>
>Beautiful. Are the rules on the website or in the FAQ?

http://childfree.homepage.com/drink2.htm

Breedertroll Bingo is at
http://www.cybercomm.net/~flamingo/breedertroll_bingo.htm

Jim

Renee

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
On Thu, 05 Oct 2000 04:24:57 GMT, Jeri Jo Thomas
<kata...@earthlink.net> wrote:

>Citizen Ted said ...
>
> Q: Oh yeah: you know those times when you get all toasty warm in
> Q:your winter comforter, only to discover you suddenly have to take a
> Q:wicked pee?
> Q:
>Awww, no fair!!!
>--
Jeri Jo, don't pine! You can just ask for the superpower of amazing
bladder capacity! (Look! There in the ladies' room! It's a bird! It's
a plane! It's SuperPeeGirl!)

Renee

Kent

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Voris Tracy Van contributed:

: Does anyone else have other Super Powers they'd like to bring to the
: table?

Well, although an introvert, I'd have to go with the Mind Control,
too--since I could then just "will" everyone to go away and leave me alone
:)

Other powers? I often fantasize about being able to function on one hour's
sleep the way most people do on 8--AND being able to fall asleep for that
hour at WILL (yes, an insomniac's Heaven). Invisibility would indeed be
nice, as would flying and walking through walls (Gosh, Casper the Friendly
Ghost got all three of those :( )

Another cool power would be the ability to stop time--for everyone
else--at will. I've seen episodes of Star Trek and Wild Wild West that
dealt almost with this, and a WONDERFUL book about just such a power is
Nicholson Baker's _The Fermata_ (he's a cool author I always forget to
bring up on book topics, anyway). This power allows its bearer to 'freeze'
the rest of the world while s/he goes about at will; I know we with our
collective imaginations can come up with lots of bratty sprog revenge
stories for THIS!

Kent

John & Mari Morgan

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
<alu...@panther.Gsu.EDU> wrote:

>Here's something for you all to consider. Which Super Power would you
>rather have:
>
>A. Jedi Mind Power - the ability to influence others directly as in
>"These aren't the 'Droids you're looking for." Basically, regardless of
>what any single person thinks or believes, you would have the power to
>change hir mind.
>
>B. Control Invisibility - the ability to go invisible at will, and yes,
>this includes your clothes, and no, it does not mean that if you eat
>something we could watch your digestion.
>

>We have found in our totally unscientific polling of coworkers and friends
>on campus and via e-mail that extroverts prefer Super Power: Jedi Mind
>Power while introverts prefer Super Power: Control Invisibility.

How to throw sand in the gears... I'd take the Jedi Mind Power. And
I'm VERY much an introvert, to the point where I haven't been to or
had a social occasion of any sort since June. After all, I could make
them think I wasn't there with the "these aren't the droids you're
looking for" thing, plus so many other things, so why would I want
only the single function of invisibility? :-)

Mari

Noelle

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Renee <sma...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> Jeri Jo, don't pine! You can just ask for the superpower of amazing
> bladder capacity! (Look! There in the ladies' room! It's a bird! It's
> a plane! It's SuperPeeGirl!)

Back in high school, my group of friends used to discuss what mutant powers
we possessed (some of us were heavy comic book readers) and I decided that
my friend Kathy had the mutant ability to find a bathroom no matter where we
went.

I don't remember what my mutant power was, unfortunately.

--
Omnia mutantur, nihil interit.
http://www.fastlane.net/~gnoelle

HotDirt

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
In article <20001004100211...@ng-cs1.aol.com>,
jack4...@aol.com (Jack411411) wrote:

> >Whenever a baby laughs our humanity is >debased and life is cheapend.
>
> It's statements like this that make it impossible to dislike you.
You're like
> the guy who walks down the street with a pinwheel on his head,
collecting
> bottle caps, and mumbles and grumbles. He's just so far out there, so
oblivious
> to basic good manners, so miserable in hs own way, that he deserves no
> criticism. Some of us will laugh at him; others will pity him.

Actually, that statement is just a stupid and ultimately meaningless
as yours. Baby laughter has no more inherent meaning or lack thereof
than adult laughter. What are they laughing at? Is a child laughing
while another child gets beat up exalting? Is someone laughing and
enjoying time with others somehow degrading? Both statements are so
vague as to be utterly devoid of meaning. Kind of like a politician's
speech.

*plonk*
--
-HotDirt

Rat & Swan

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Naomi Diesendruck wrote:

> >Wishing we had more flying flowers and fewer laughing infants.

> That is so beautiful, Swan. You need about 10 published columns to
> write all the fascinating, incredible stuff you've experienced in
> your life! Not to sound like a fawning sycophant, but honestly I have
> yet to tire of your wonderful stories.

I've had (and am having) a wonderful, varied life. There have been bad
parts, but there have been many good parts as well. Jane Goodall said,
last night, that she had heard a story where all the birds got together
and vied to see who could fly the highest. As each bird tried, and
dropped out at various levels, the eagle soared highest of all. When the
eagle got as high as he could fly, out from his feathers popped a little
jenny wren who leaped up and flew higher still. Try as he might, the
eagle could go no higher and the wren flew the highest. She said that
she felt that whatever height she had achieved, it was because she had
flown on an eagle first, and that everyone has an eagle lifting them up
in some way or another. I agree with her. My eagle has been my
grandmother, my love of reading and my fabulous good fortune that I
*can* read! Every day is a gift. Every experience is a treasure.
Doubtless, to parents, their children are treasures as well, but they
need to see that not every person in the world has to have the *same*
treasure!! It's like that final scene in The Gods Must Be crazy, where
the native !kung bushman, who had traveled to the 'end of the world' to
give BACK a treasure the Gods had given his people (a common Coke
bottle), walked back to his village. He had been given a stack of paper
money aspayment for work he had been required to do by the white
people. He could see no earthly use for the stuff, so he scattered it
into the wind. The Coke bottle had had use and value (and had caused a
lot of strife, as well) but the paper, which the whites coveted and
killed for, had none. Parents need to see that their children, which
they deem precious beyond measure, are NOT precious to everyone, and
that's all right! Words are FAR more precious to me than ANY baby.

> I was very touched and heartened by your posted gift to me last
> week - a big apology for not thanking you earlier. When I'm feeling
> down sometimes I like to hide away, and maybe post (at most) some
> silly, unrelated stuff.

Not at all! I never worry if I don't hear back. I enjoy the experience
of going through that dusty trunk and finding the wierd and neat stuff
to hand out! :)

> The slightly embarassing thing is that I
> had misread the calendar - I *think* at this point, that rather than
> being the beginning of a long slide down, it was no more nor less
> than the hideous PMS depression I often experience. Which sucks, but
> knowing it has to end soon helps me get through it a lot better.

WOO HOO! Now THAT news is a great gift to ME! Huzzah! I'm VERY glad to
see that you are not heading for a bad time. My day is lighter.

> And support from people here sure did help. :) Thank you, very much.

> - Naomi D.

You're very very welcome, indeed!

By the way, does anyone want pomegranates? We have the most delightful
pomegranate bushes by the side of Swanage and they are producing fruit
in copiosity! I give you all pomegranates. The skin is medium thick and
comes away easily. Inside each section of seeds has a slightly different
hue. The yellow seeds, when eaten, give you a feeling of sunshine and
silly highjinks. The orange-ish ones will stop that cold that was coming
on in its tracks! The deep very dark red seeds will give you the
temporary ability to understand your pets communications. The regular
red seeds are just ordinary pomegranate seeds, but they're awfully
tasty! :) Oh, but chew the red seeds carefully. One of them's a real
ruby, but I forgot which fruit it was in.

Swan

Rat & Swan

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Voris Tracy Van wrote:

> A. Jedi Mind Power - the ability to influence others directly as in
> "These aren't the 'Droids you're looking for." Basically, regardless of
> what any single person thinks or believes, you would have the power to
> change hir mind.

The Libertarian in me cringes at this concept! I think I'd pass on that
power. I would have no right to decide for anyone, no matter WHAT that
person had decided to do or believe.

> B. Control Invisibility - the ability to go invisible at will, and yes,
> this includes your clothes, and no, it does not mean that if you eat
> something we could watch your digestion.

Well, it would carry a grave responsibility NOT to violate anyone else's
privacy! That would be my worry. Of the two, I don't know which I
would choose, but I might lean more to the second, as it has less chance
of enabling me to do harm to someone else.

Swan

Actually, if I were offered *any* super power I wanted, I think flight
would appeal to me ,or shapeshifting!

Rat & Swan

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Voris Tracy Van wrote:

> Does anyone else have other Super Powers they'd like to bring to the
> table?
>

> T.

I do. My6 ability to remember, see into and bring things back here,
from my own dimension.
Where I come from, portable holes are a reality and cars shake
themselves off like dogs after leaving the carwash. Trees have opinions
and people have to watch our for the cement-gophers that tunnel under
streets. If you put batteries into a flashlight backward, the device
sucks light in, instead of sending it out. People regularly converse
with radios and you can mail orgasms to others without paying extra
postage.

My only real problem with this body is that I have NO idea people can
get really clean without the ability to lick your own back!

Swan

Rat & Swan

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Citizen Ted wrote:

> the stretch-power exhibited by that guy in the Fantastic Four.

> Oh yeah: you know those times when you get all toasty warm in

> your winter comforter, only to discover you suddenly have to take a
> wicked pee?

> Heh heh!

Hey, Ted! LOVE yer Rosy Boa there, Big Guy!

Swan

Enjoying the image of a long pink snake prowling the house and what I'd
do with it if I found it wandering down MY hallway! Hope Ted isn't
allergic to feathers...

Kitchee kitchee kitcheeeeee!

Mary

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Stopping time--that's cool, I'll have to look up that book. But what
I've always wanted to do is travel in time. Like in Jack Finney's book
Time and Again. You could even go back in time and prevent someone's
p@rents from meeting...

Mary

> Another cool power would be the ability to stop time--for everyone
> else--at will. I've seen episodes of Star Trek and Wild Wild West that
> dealt almost with this, and a WONDERFUL book about just such a power
is
> Nicholson Baker's _The Fermata_ (he's a cool author I always forget to
> bring up on book topics, anyway). This power allows its bearer to
'freeze'
> the rest of the world while s/he goes about at will; I know we with
our
> collective imaginations can come up with lots of bratty sprog revenge
> stories for THIS!
>
> Kent

Rat & Swan

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Jack Moore wrote:

> The regrettable thing is that your own parents did not feel the same way.
> Whoops! I think I hear one of the cookie cutter personalities in the background
> yelling, "We heard that one before!"

My own parents DID feel that way. My grandmother, who raised me, loathed
noisy whiny children, so she made CERTAIN I understood what behaviors
were unacceptable. She didn't just uncritically *accept* everything I
did or said, she TAUGHT me. If I had a choice, I would HELLA rather be
taught than worshipped! People today would prefer to just "let
'emgrow"like wedds, adored and fawned over and woe betide the person who
EXPECTS anything of 'em OR their parents! My grandmother did NOT shield
me from violence and sexon TV, she sat with meand explained stuff. Andif
there wassomething that I wasn't mentally equipped to see, I DIDN'T SEE
IT.No V-chip protected me, my grandmother's "No!" was sufficient for the
task. I was raised with OUT child proof caps, safety seats, outlet
covers, kidproof car door locks, trunk releases, bike helmets, corner
pads for tables or shatterproof glass! I lived. Why? Because I KNEW not
to stick bobby pins in the wall outlet, play with matches, run in the
house, touch ANYTHING in the car when it was moving. My parents had a
cigarette lighter and ashtray on the coffetable when I was four. And I
lEFT THEM ALONE! They kept cleaners under the sink, knives in the
drawer, matches on the stove, and I'm ALIVE. Try any of THAT with
today's children! I had a safe normal childhood BECAUSE my grandparents
gave me the ABILITY to be resposible and safe. And they did that because
they did NOT like wild undisciplinedchildren, so my parents DID feel the
EXACT same way I do!

> I have seen or read items by people who choose not to have children. That's
> their business, not mine. They're assertive, frank and up-front people who
> oppose the implicit constrictions foisted upon them by the majority. That's not
> this group.

You think so? How long have you been here? How long did you lurk and
read this group?
Or did you just leap in with both feet expecting to be worshipped and
adored because you're an author?

> Fortunately, you closet psychos make up a
> very tiny subset of those who prefer not to have children.

Nice description. For someone who goes apeshit after a couple posts
correcting his spelling, I find the accusation of 'closet psycho' tres
amusant! You ought to see to your OWn "mouse-rage" before pointing
atothers!

> And I'd be willing
> to bet that when one or more of you does leave the sewer, all dressed up like a
> human being, that you tone down your act considerably.

Yes. Why? Because THIS is a place to VENT. By the way, I'm rather
worried about someone who continues to ascribe 'subhuman' attributes to
a group he dislikes. That's N*zi philosophy, dontchaknow...

> That "childless by
> choice support group" looks pretty respectable at the top of your letterhead,
> but even a cursory reading of your posts betrays any claim of legitimacy.

Really? So you MISSED the postsabout someone acquiring a new house (not
a hateful threadat all) or the support one member recieved when their
parents treated them so badly. One poster's mother told her "If you
don't give me grandchildren, then you are of NO use to me!". She got
support and encouragement from the group. And I suppose that the person
whose car was run *over* by a SUV backing up was a closet psycho for
objecting, eh? You haven't read diddly SHIT about this group, Jocko!
You don't know ANYTHING about us, our history or where we are coming
from. You just have your nose out of joint because we corrected your
spelling and didn't fall worshipfully at your oh-so-PUBLISHED toes! Is
your copyeditor afraid of you, too?

> But now the good news. Fortunately, most of you are stupid.

You think so, eh? Wander over to misc.kids and see what is posting over
there. A steady diet of Blue's Clues and Sesame Street is NOT edifying
after the age of five!
If you listen *very* carefully, you can *hear* braincells dying!

> Setting the topic
> aside, I can see that by the way you present the non-ideas; by the way you
> stomp your feet when a non-member approaches your treehouse. Maybe you bozos
> should have a password at the door--you know, just to keep out new ideas. Those
> things can really spread if you don't douse them immediately. Maybe you could
> just have Pete curse at them.

And *who* went gonzo after one post because the inhabitants didn't drool
over his shoes? Sorry, Bucko, that doesn't wash, either!

> Have fun, kids! And remember, even if you win the war against babies, they'll
> always be other things out there for you to hate.

And you're having SOOOO much fun hating US, aren't you? Why ARE you
still here? You want people to go ga-ga over your "book"why aren't you
lapping up the saliva in the breedergroups? Or is it that,
subconsciously, you crave adult companionship and don't know how to go
about getting it? Your parents probably dragged you to adult parties
where everyone slavered over your tiny precocious dribbles and you were
NEVER taught NOT to go where you weren't wanted. Now, as a grown up
child, you are STUNNED to discover a group that WON'T kowtow to you and
you're frothing in a spittle-soaked tantrum about it.

Go to your room and take your time-out like a MAN!

Swan

Rat & Swan

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Jason G wrote:

> Wow. He has a son named "Brick". "Brick Moore". Wonder if he has a daughter
> named "Sheetrock" or something.

Maybe the kid's middle name is "Shithouse" and Daddy-O is hoping he'll
grow up to be a linebacker. Unfortunately, he missed the *other* meaning
of that phrase and the kid is now trying on Mommie's lingerie and saving
his allowance money for depilation treatments and silicone implants!

Swan

The kid wants a feather boa for his tenth birthday! Yikes!

Kent

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Rat & Swan contributed:

:> Does anyone else have other Super Powers they'd like to bring to the
:> table?
: Where I come from, portable holes are a reality and cars shake

: themselves off like dogs after leaving the carwash. Trees have opinions
: and people have to watch our for the cement-gophers that tunnel under
: streets. If you put batteries into a flashlight backward, the device
: sucks light in, instead of sending it out. People regularly converse
: with radios and you can mail orgasms to others without paying extra
: postage.

But what is it like for chilllldrunnnn there?

Kent (can't wait to hear THIS!)

Jack Moore

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
A little dissension in the sewer, boys and girls? And to think, at least one of
you bozos said I just wasn't worth the time.

Jack Moore

Silently Mad

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Dear Jack Meoff

Do you understand english? I suspect the answer is yes as you did
admit to writing that little treatise on babyshit.. or was it
laughter? Then again you probably had it ghost written by someone who
can read AND write.

I'm going to say this again because I suspect the person you get to
answer your mail isn't making it clear to you:

YOU wrote here, uninvited and got what you deserved.
YOU continue to bitch and moan and bother people
the only visible bozo in this group is you.

Now.. GO AWAY.

Get bent, hope it hurts.

Silently Mad
and silently glad I'm nothing like YOU, in other words I'm open
minded, mature and SANE.

Silently Mad

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
LOL good one.

Silently Mad

On Thu, 05 Oct 2000 19:56:18 -0500, Ginny <red57...@aol.com> wrote:

>Before exiting, pursued by a bear in alt.support.childfree,
>jrgusenet@REMOVE_ooo_THIS_xxx_PART_yahoo.com (Jason G) had time to
>say:

>>Wow. He has a son named "Brick". "Brick Moore". Wonder if he has a daughter
>>named "Sheetrock" or something.
>

>What about the middle child, Drywall?
>
>(don't look for a child named "Vapor Barrier" anytime soon. It's
>against his religion)
>

>Ginny
>
>RED57 at that aol dot com place
>CF+ TK+++ TPI+++ A+++++
>
>evil denizen, alt.support.childfree
>volunteer moderator, alt.support.childfree.moderated
>(followup goes to a spamcatcher, remove "at that place" or "me too")
>
>"You mean I have to have horns, fangs, and glowing beady eyes?
>Can't I just wear my "Omigod, I forgot to have children" T-shirt?"

Pete

Oct 5, 2000, 3:00:00 AM10/5/00
Jack, we can settle this like men. You pick a time and place, I'll be
there.

I notice you have nothing to say about Richard's and my offer to make
it go past the keyboard.

C'mon Jack, don't be a PUSSY! Let's get together and do da dance.
Whaddya say? You keyboard-tough pussy.

Jack whaddya say...let's mix it up shall we?...Put your body where your
mouth is. I will...I'll do the legwork. Or we can meet at a neutral
site, your choice...

I thought not...you fucking pussy...you talk and you talk but you have
no RRRAMBAH...Pete

In article <20001005193611...@ng-cs1.aol.com>, Jack Moore

bry...@my-deja.com

Oct 5, 2000, 8:28:42 PM10/5/00
In article <8rg9io$nis$1...@nnrp1.deja.com>,
Musketaquid <muske...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> In article <39db9...@goliath2.newsfeeds.com>,
> jrgusenet@REMOVE_ooo_THIS_xxx_PART_yahoo.com (Jason G) wrote:
> > Musketaquid <muske...@my-deja.com> made obeisance before Us and
> spake thusly:

> > >-Musketaquid (preferring a million Lao Tzus to any one Mao)

personally, i'll take a Lao Tzy Mao.

> > I prefer Lao Ma, that Chinese chick from Xena last season. Yowza!

doesn't that mean "Old Horse"? Guess it depends on yer accent.

> Then there's Laos, that tiny Asian country, though I don't know if
I'd prefer it or not, not having been there...

then there's laos, the root, aka galangka, used to make green curry
with which i cooked a fat salmon the other night and just finished up
the gingery bits for lunch. numm.

bry...@my-deja.com

Oct 5, 2000, 8:31:39 PM10/5/00
In article <39DCD7...@pacbell.net>,
lab...@pacbell.net wrote:
> Jason G wrote:

> Maybe the kid's middle name is "Shithouse" and Daddy-O is hoping
he'll
> grow up to be a linebacker. Unfortunately, he missed the *other*
meaning
> of that phrase and the kid is now trying on Mommie's lingerie and
saving
> his allowance money for depilation treatments and silicone implants!

okay, i'll duh. idongeddit. what means the "other" meaning of that
phrase?

bry...@my-deja.com

Oct 5, 2000, 8:39:59 PM10/5/00
In article <041020001634115639%ile...@shore.net>,
IleneB <ile...@shore.net> wrote:

> 'snip' Swan's ultimate statement.

yes, it was beautiful, wasn't it?

[further schnip]

> But Jack probably has already left, since this is a hate group and
all.

regrettably, but understandably, the schmuck is still lurking and
reading every post that his monicker shows up in, no doubt. but then
again, it's probly better than watching Brick barf all over his
moomee's saggy booby.

<aside> notice how Jackoff hasn't once tried to defend moomee to
posters - perhaps he too thinks her boobies look like accordion-pleated
cups stuffed with goat cheese ...

bry...@my-deja.com

Oct 5, 2000, 8:41:57 PM10/5/00
In article <20001005193611...@ng-cs1.aol.com>,
jlaf...@aol.com (Jack Moore) wrote:

> A little dissension in the sewer, boys and girls? And to think, at
least one of
> you bozos said I just wasn't worth the time.

it would appear this retard hasn't grasped the concept of a post thread

It is loading more messages.