Test Day - An Update

Debbie13331

May 3, 2007, 9:22:47 PM5/3/07
Hello all,

We had our doctor's appointment last Thursday and he confirmed that
Allen's post-prostatectomy reading of 0.26 was an indicator of cancer
return (prostatectomy was 2.5 years ago, 3+4, capsular penetration but
clear margins - he's 53). Today was test day, a full body bone scan and a
CT scan of the pelvic area. We'll get results in about a week (it is hard
to wait, isn't it?) He has a ultrasound and biopsy at the end of the month
(even harder to wait...) Radiation is likely. Can anyone say what to
expect with radiation? We were thinking a few minutes, but saw something
on television that sounds like a minimum of 4-hours??? Allen is brusing
easily and can't explain it. He's worried about that too. Does that
sound familiar to anyone? He not on any meds other than for high blood
pressure. As always, insights are welcome. Debbie (devoted wife of 26
years)

Steve Kramer

May 4, 2007, 4:35:50 AM5/4/07
"Debbie13331" <nos...@family.net> wrote in message

I believe the tests are a waste of time, unless one of them is a prostascint
scan. And, even then, I don't know of anyone whose cancer was found with
one at Allen's current PSA.

Radiation -

The longest day is getting 'measured' for radiation. They will scan him and
make sure they know where is prostate bed and contiguous organs are and then
mark him with a permanent marker or tattoo.

Then, every day for 30-40 weekdays, he will go in, drop his drawers, lay on
a table, lift his shirt, and a machine, similar to a huge dentist's x-ray,
will move about him and zap him from several angles. 15 minutes later or
so, he's up and gone. He will feel nothing.

However, the radiation does take a temporary toll, eventually, with fatigue,
urethra burning, diarrhea, etc. To combat these, I walked 3 to 5 miles a
day, 3 to 5 times a week. I slept one hour more every night. I drank
gallons of water.

All in all, it proved to be the least bothersome of all the prostate
treatments I have had to date.

--
PSA 16 10/17/2000 @ 46
Biopsy 11/01/2000 G7 (3+4), T2c

Joe Price

May 4, 2007, 10:34:01 AM5/4/07

"Steve Kramer" <skr...@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message
<snip>

> Radiation -
>
> The longest day is getting 'measured' for radiation. They will scan him
> and make sure they know where is prostate bed and contiguous organs are
> and then mark him with a permanent marker or tattoo.
>
> Then, every day for 30-40 weekdays, he will go in, drop his drawers, lay
> on a table, lift his shirt, and a machine, similar to a huge dentist's
> x-ray, will move about him and zap him from several angles. 15 minutes
> later or so, he's up and gone. He will feel nothing.
>
> However, the radiation does take a temporary toll, eventually, with
> fatigue, urethra burning, diarrhea, etc. To combat these, I walked 3 to 5
> miles a day, 3 to 5 times a week. I slept one hour more every night. I
> drank gallons of water.
>
> All in all, it proved to be the least bothersome of all the prostate
> treatments I have had to date.

Steve's response is accurate and succinct. If we had a FAQ for this group,
this description should be there.

Burney Huff

May 4, 2007, 11:53:37 AM5/4/07
Steve did a great job of summarizing what you and Allen should expect.
I would only add that I did not have the urethra burning at all. I
did notice that my intestines were reacting to the radiation with mild
diarrhea. He might also notice some tenderness of the rectum. Also,
his red blood count will probably be monitored. Radiation going
through the pelvic bones impairs the ability of the marrow there to
generate new red blood cells. If that becomes apparent, eating a lot
of liver, steak, raisins, and other foods high in iron might help.
Iron supplements might be necessary. They can contribute to
constipation, though, and the intestines will already be in enough
stress. But, it's all easily manageable if you just stay on top of it
and, as Steve says, radiation was the easiest of all the treatments
I've had, too. The fatigue that sets in at about week two or three,
and continues to build up and lasts for a few weeks after the
radiation is completed is the main thing I had to deal with. But, I
never missed a bit of work during the process. Most of my co-workers
never knew I was going through the radiation. Steve's recommendations
for extra water, exercise, and rest are all very good!

One last thing I need to add is that the staff in the radiation center
where I went were all wonderful. They are very professional, friendly
an understanding and treated me with utmost respect. I sincerely
appreciated them. Others I've talked with have had similar
experiences. That treatment helped a lot when I was mentally sort of
"down" anyway.

Yes, the waiting for all the tests is terrible!

Good luck to you and Allen.

Justin Case

May 4, 2007, 1:29:54 PM5/4/07
If it's of any comfort or reassurance, let me confirm Steve's comments. I
experienced everything he did, at a different time and under somewhat
different circumstances but all the essentials are exactly the same.
Radiation, per se, is nothing. Except for that first visit and the time it
takes, the patient is in and out very quickly.

Ken Bland

"Steve Kramer" <skr...@cinci.rr.com> wrote in message

<Remainder snipped>

Debbie13331

May 5, 2007, 12:02:50 AM5/5/07
Thanks to all four of you. This is great and helps us know what to expect.
I had no idea that there were so many treatments involved! We've been a
bit worried about side effects (further sexual dysfunction, incontinence,
etc.) It doesn't sound like any of you experienced that though... Again,
I appreciate the helpful sharing of experiences. I agree that it would be
helpful to have an FAQ available at this site. It is a fund of good
information! Thx! Debbie

orchids58

May 5, 2007, 6:03:24 AM5/5/07

Debbie,
The guys on this site are wonderful. Ike did treatment 7 today on
radiation. We have had relations since he started once. We had the
RPx 7/18/02. His PSA was .3 as I understand it. I was frantic for
him, but received a lot of help from these same guys that are helping
you. I am not crazy about Ike's group that he is working with, but
that is my problem , not Ike's. Ike's test were all positive for
him, and we are grateful for that. He is having radiation of the
prostate bed. We have 30 more treatments to go. He has been doing
well, no incontinence yet, he is drinking lots of water and doing
exercise and being positive. I do the worry for him, but another guy
here said don't give that more than 15 min. a day. I am working on
that one.
Good luck,

Charlotte

JohnHace

May 5, 2007, 11:26:40 AM5/5/07

Debbie,

In my opinion, the most important thing in this, and any other
treatment, is the experience of the doctor. The second most important
thing is the equipment he's using. This technology is improving every
day.

Make sure your doctor is using the latest in image guided radiation.
My doctor used a system called Accu-Loc, http://www.nmpe.com/acculoc.aspx.
It allows for daily adjustments of the beam. The tattoos are only a
rough indicator of the prostate position. It can move up to a half
inch in any direction. Without IGRT, some radiation is going to hit
the urethra, bladder and rectum unnecessarily. The IGRT adjusts the
patient position to compensate for prostate movement.

I had seed and external beam and I've had virtually no side effects.

Good luck,

John

Burney Huff

May 5, 2007, 12:53:04 PM5/5/07
As I read Debbie's original message, this is post-prostatectomy
radiation. There is no prostate to move around and the radiation is
directed in the area of the pelvic floor, which probably won't move
around. Under this scenario, my understanding is the the urethra,
bladder and rectum are expected to get the radiation because that's
probably where the cancer cells are.