Curcumin and Vit D3

Helpful Hal

Nov 20, 2008, 2:54:57 PM11/20/08
Two informative sites but of course do your own research.
http://www.turmeric-curcumin.com/
http://www.vitamindcouncil.org/cancerProstate.shtml

Alan Meyer

Nov 21, 2008, 2:22:44 PM11/21/08

Personally, I take turmeric every day, primarily as a
preventative against Alzheimer's Disease. I didn't know
it had anti-cancer properties.

However, Puritan's Pride has it cheaper than at Helpful
Hal's website.

Alan

Pardha

Nov 21, 2008, 2:25:30 PM11/21/08

hey..thanks for that useful info....where do you get such information
from?

pardha

gvk...@yahoo.com

Nov 22, 2008, 3:34:31 PM11/22/08
On Nov 21, 11:22 am, Alan Meyer <amey...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Personally, I take turmeric every day, primarily as a
> preventative against Alzheimer's Disease.  I didn't know
> it had anti-cancer properties.
>
> However, Puritan's Pride has it cheaper than at Helpful
> Hal's website.

Actually, if you are referring to the "house" brand sold at Puritan's
Pride, it is a terrible deal. In fact, the worst deal on their page
with 3 choices available.

The Puritan's Pride "customer favorite" is the worst deal because it
include so very little of the actual important ingredient. The
Turmeric Extract that is standardized to contain 95% Curcuminoids,
only makes up 50 mg.
The Turmeric which makes up 450 mg is only about 3 to 4 percent
curcuminoids. Thus this bottle compared to the other two has only
about a total of about 65 mg (95% Curcuminoids)

Actually a terrible deal EVEN in the multiple bottle "buy 2 get 3
free" offer.
Supplement Facts
Serving Size 1 Capsule
Amount Per Serving % Daily Value
Turmeric 450 mg **
(Curcuma longa) (root)
Turmeric Extract 50 mg **
(Curcuma longa) (root)
(Standardized to contain 95% Curcuminoids)
**Daily Value not established.

While I cannot see the actual label on the other two brands they
offer, they both appear to contain the C3 Complex that is made by the
Sanbinsa Corporation. That is the brand used by the MD Anderson
researchers.

Sanbinsa names the companies that use their C3 Complex
http://www.curcuminoids.com/users.htm

The brand Helpful Hal points to is cheap but it does not include the
Bioperine part of the product which is "supposed" to boost the uptake
of the curcumin.

I'd have to investigate further to be sure the label of the other "non-
house brand" products at Puritan's Pride are as they appear, but from
my quick analysis, it would appear that the AFI offering (Americas
Finest, I believe, but not sure what the "I" stands for, probably
Inc.) is the best deal..

If in fact it turns out they are using the Sabinsa C3 complex and you
are willing to split pills........if you only want 500 mg
daily.....then the AFI is the better deal at 11.7 cents a day...
If you only want whole pills, then the Doctors Best offering is other
choice at 16.5 cents per day (for 500 mg.......but they give you
527, ) so the price per pill is gonna be about 17.4 cents per day.

Now, like I said, the other choice Hal offers is only 10.3 cents per
day but does not include the C3 complex with bioperine, said to be
important in the uptake by the body....

I'd buy the AFI and split the pills......leaving a 11.7 cents per day
cost.

Not sure what either party charges for shipping.

I hope that covers it......
You've got to be on your toes these days and read ALL the fine print.

gvk...@yahoo.com

Nov 22, 2008, 3:53:28 PM11/22/08
On Nov 22, 12:34 pm, gvk2...@yahoo.com wrote:

> Now, like I said, the other choice Hal offers is only 10.3 cents per
> day but does not include the C3 complex with bioperine, said to be
> important in the uptake by the body....
>

> I hope that covers it......
> You've got to be on your toes these days and read ALL the fine print.

Actually upon further review, the Helpful Hal brand's price of 10.3
cents is only if you purchase 12 bottles (2,400 pills)..
If you only want one bottle, its 14.9 cents a pill
If you only want two bottles, its 13.9 cents a pill

Still seems the AFI brand deal on the Puritan's Pride page is far
better if you are willing to split the caplets in half......11.7 cents
per 500 mg (95% curcumonoids)

gvk...@yahoo.com

Nov 22, 2008, 4:23:14 PM11/22/08
On Nov 22, 12:34 pm, gvk2...@yahoo.com wrote:
.
> I'd buy the AFI and split the pills......leaving a 11.7 cents per day
> cost.
>
> Not sure what either party charges for shipping.
>
> I hope that covers it......
> You've got to be on your toes these days and read ALL the fine print.

Actually a further follow up....

Easier, non pill splitting deal........

You can get the Doctors Best brand, identical bottle found at Puritans
Pride, but for only $14.74 or.......11.7 cents per 500 mg pill.
Of course there is shipping of $4.95 but apparently its one set price
regardless of how many bottles you buy. Get 360 and it cuts the
shipping by a third.

One other note, is that they list the pill at 527 mg and rightly so
list the 90% curcumonoid at a realistic 500 mg. More honest....

(btw. the other brand shown on the Vitacost site is not cheaper when
you do all the math and percentages (95% etc) calculations.....It is
also not the brand/base formula... MD Anderson used in their
studies) May be just as good but since its not cheaper, why buy
differently.....

Thus this price is even better than. In other words, this same pill
on the Puritans Pride site would be 15.65 cents per day while at
Vitacost it is only 11.7 cents per day..

http://www.vitacost.com/Doctors-Best-Best-Curcumin#IngredientFacts

scroll up on that page for cost and shipping etc.

Read more about curcumin by a woman who is the expert on buying large
amounts....as she suffers from a illness that apparently requires much
larger doses... So getting good prices is essential

http://margaret.healthblogs.org/life-with-myeloma/what-is-curcumin/curcumin-brandssources-in-the-us-and-europe-powder-and-capsules/

OK........I think that covers it for now....
Vitacost looks like the site for everyday users like us to get the
proper quality product as well as the excellent value...

Point me in another direction if you have better information or a
better source.

Post-RRP@59

Nov 22, 2008, 10:22:42 PM11/22/08
Bioavailability of curmcumin is poor - based on studies with oral
administration. Sabinsa claims that their addition of "bioperine" (piperine
from black pepper) - greatly improves the absorption. I don't know of any
independent research verifying this claim.

Curcumin is said to be oil soluble, not water soluble. So I don't understand
why an oil-based emulsion isn't being sold, as is done for other oil-soluble
nutritional supplements.

In any case, it would be a good idea to cultivate a taste for curries, which
contain both turmeric and black pepper, and in which the curry powder first
is cooked in oil or ghee, which would dissolve the curcumin and improve its
absorption.

in article 22484b41-0ed3-468c...@o4g2000pra.googlegroups.com,

gvk...@yahoo.com

Nov 22, 2008, 11:11:02 PM11/22/08
On Nov 22, 7:22 pm, "Post-RRP@59" <nos...@nospam.com> wrote:
> Bioavailability of curmcumin is poor - based on studies with oral
> administration. Sabinsa claims that their addition of "bioperine" (piperine
> from black pepper) - greatly improves the absorption. I don't know of any
> independent research verifying this claim.

Well I don't know of independent research specifically about the
"bioperine" claim but on the other hand, this product from Sabinsa is
apparently the same product that MD Anderson is using in their
studies.
So, it would seem if you put any faith in the MD Anderson findings,
then you might just conclude that the Sabinsa "C3" product is
adequate.

> In any case, it would be a good idea to cultivate a taste for curries, which
> contain both turmeric and black pepper, and in which the curry powder first
> is cooked in oil or ghee, which would dissolve the curcumin and improve its
> absorption.

Well if you could start from age 5 until age 50, 60, or 70, then the
gradual low intake of curcumin found in the tumermic might be OK...
If I remember correctly you have to eat a boatload of curry. to get
500 mg of 95% curcumoids.
I purchased turmeric directly from a local SF Bay Area wholesaler of
Indian prouducts. It was very cheap, but to use the amount needed to
meet the purported needs was very difficult and the stuff is simply
terrible in staining everything around.
I gave up, thinking I was gonna end up with orange/yellow teeth and
yellow kitchen counters.
NO, unless you are gonna eat curries 2 times a day, that is not a
good solution.
Remember also, the Indian diet is not only different in the level of
curry eaten but also in he level of animal products eaten.
BTW, the level of intake of curcumon in the Indian diet is around
60 to 200 milligrams of curcumin daily.

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-turmeric.html

There is a way to buy in bulk but I have not investigated it further.

Steve Kramer

Nov 23, 2008, 7:21:30 AM11/23/08
<gvk...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Well if you could start from age 5 until age 50, 60, or 70, then the
gradual low intake of curcumin found in the tumermic might be OK...

==> I cannot tell you how many times my mother and I argued about this when
I was five.

--
PSA 16 10/17/2000 @ 46
Biopsy 11/01/2000 G7 (3+4), T2c