Gaming.

1 view

Hylander

Mar 28, 2006, 4:48:43 PM3/28/06
What are your favorite games? board games. online games.

Recently, I found this simpel one:

http://www.funny-games.biz/splash-back.html

It's very addictive.

I also can't wait for "Spore" to come out (a game by Maxis/the ones
that put out Sims)

Sims 2 seems like fun.

I seem to be behind on all my gaming perseverations. I really want to
get into WoW for a short time. (I'm going to limit my time there.).

Does Ultima Online have anything out there these days?

Catriona R

Mar 28, 2006, 6:04:19 PM3/28/06
On 28 Mar 2006 13:48:43 -0800, "Hylander" <john....@gmail.com> wrote:

>I seem to be behind on all my gaming perseverations. I really want to
>get into WoW for a short time. (I'm going to limit my time there.).

Hehe, you'll find it hard to limit your time spent on that - the only way I
can really take time out is to cancel my subscription, and even then I'm
back within a week ;-) Having said that, my addiction is waning slightly,
as I've done most things that I wanted to, so I don't play quite so much as
I did a while back (well, except when I'm doing contests to level
characters up lol... but now that's over I feel at a loose end, not a lot I
fancy doing ;-)), but certainly for the first few months there's a *lot* to
do there!

A game I'd recommend to anyone who likes FPS is Planetside
(www.planetside.com) - they've just launched a free subscription, which
basically gives a year's free play with characters limited to low levels
(can be upgraded to a paying account at any time), and I can't recommend it
highly enough. I'm not even into FPS games normally, but I love the
tactical side of this, with the never-ending war between three armies, all
trying to own as many continents and bases as possible. And the support
side is great fun, being a medic, engineer, etc. I've had a lot of fun
there over the last couple of years - WoW killed the amount of time I spend
in PS, sadly, but I still have fun when I make time to go back for a bit
:-)
--
Catriona (22, AS)

BTM Madness

Mar 28, 2006, 9:33:53 PM3/28/06
wrote:

>What are your favorite games? board games. online games.

Well, play a lot of computer games, but I'm the type that tends to
like be REALLY into one game almost obessively for a for weeks (or
months) then I put it aside for a year and then maybe come back to it
after that.

Right now, I'm bouncing around between Black and White and X-Men
Legends 2 (more the latter of late, as it's more fast paced than the
former.)

Always been big into real time strategy type games, and played a lot
of the Battlefield 2 demo I downloaded recently (may have to buy it
when I actually get some money.)

As for other games, I like play Dungeons and Dragons, and got a group
I'm with through the college. Wish I had a group I could be the GM
for (Game Master, guy who controls the game.) I might be lacking on
knowledge of the rules and mechanics and stuff, but I could more than
make up for it with a lot imagination and kick butt storylines... ;)

__
Need a new limb?
Pet recently die?
Got a problem you think only magic can solve?

Visit Dr Kaidian's Necromancy and Body Transplant Site!

http://m-allan.home.mchsi.com/wsb/index.html

To respond via email, remove the "54".

Gareeth

Mar 29, 2006, 3:56:04 AM3/29/06
BTM Madness wrote:

> Always been big into real time strategy type games, and played a lot
> of the Battlefield 2 demo I downloaded recently (may have to buy it
> when I actually get some money.)

Have you played Rome: Total War. I bought it a a week ago and have been
playing it non-stop ever since. The strategy is good and you sure feel
powerful in command of 1000 plus troops on the battlefield.

Gareeth

Chris

Mar 31, 2006, 1:25:33 AM3/31/06
"Hylander" <john....@gmail.com> wrote in message

> What are your favorite games? board games. online games.
>
> Recently, I found this simpel one:
>
> http://www.funny-games.biz/splash-back.html
>
> It's very addictive.

no kidding! I seem to be perseverating :)

which is prolly a good thing, I think it's held off meltdown 2 nights in a
row

but really, I'm going to bed now

Hylander

Mar 31, 2006, 4:08:44 AM3/31/06

Chris wrote:
> "Hylander" <john....@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > What are your favorite games? board games. online games.
> >
> > Recently, I found this simpel one:
> >
> > http://www.funny-games.biz/splash-back.html
> >
> > It's very addictive.
> >
> no kidding! I seem to be perseverating :)
>
> which is prolly a good thing, I think it's held off meltdown 2 nights in a
> row
>
> but really, I'm going to bed now

Wow. That's great. It's nice to have something to relax with. I just
woke up after napping (and not getting up at 8pm. It's now 3am)

Chris

Apr 1, 2006, 12:23:50 PM4/1/06
yes, it's been very nice to have a successful distraction

I finally slept somehwat better last night

--
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
It's hard to type with a cat in your lap

"Hylander" <john....@gmail.com> wrote in message

Corvinus

Apr 3, 2006, 3:32:29 PM4/3/06
I live for Civ IV.

And I also play with Toy Soldiers, a miniatures game called DBM (De
Bellus Multituions)

And play Settler of Catan as well as EURORAILS with the family.

mike...@hotmail.com

Apr 6, 2006, 2:59:28 PM4/6/06

I have played World of Warcraft. For a long time, it was my favorite
game, because I was able to participate in medieval, fantasy battles
against an evil race and control destructive magic. I played a level 60
Mage.

I have a strong opinion about the game.

First of all, to say something good about it, it is, in my opinion,
better than EverQuest, a game I played before it. This is because
playability is emphasized over graphical detail. Also, the focus of the
game seems to be more on player competition than EverQuest. Player vs.
Player or "PvP" is an aspect of these games that I have always enjoyed,
since there are so many abilities players can use and knowledge truly
is power.

However, I dislike what I believe to be the social consequences of the
implemented ruleset. If you play Alliance (the good side), you fight
against another team of players who control monsters, called the Horde
(the evil side). You can't talk to the opposing faction; however, you
*can* 1) attack them, or 2) emote at them. By "emote", I mean any of a
number of possibly hostile actions including laughter and spitting
which are animated by the game. It is actually common for players to
Hate (I am using a capital 'H' here) the opposing team.

Finally, I have had extremely unpleasant experiences with other
players. They have formed their own immature culture. Here are a list
of some things they do:

1. Players unskilled at or new to the game are ridiculed and called
"noobs" or "nubs". This is a common hatred to which many, if not most,
players conform.

2. Many players display requests to nearby players multiple times in a
row as if to try to get their attention. This is called spamming.

3. When you die in battle, you are reborn as a "ghost" in a graveyard
and must return to your dead corpse to resurrect. Many players, after
successfully killing your character, actually *wait by your corpse* so
that when you resurrect (wounded), they can easily kill you again, and
again, and again. This is called "corpse camping". I actually consider
it a Satanic activity, as you are investing your time and patience to
make another human being suffer.

4. They will use the powers of their stronger characters to obtain
items for their weaker characters, thereby making them unfairly strong.
This is called "twinking" and it irritates many players.

5. Occasionally a newer player will ask a more powerful player to spare
them some in-game currency so that they may buy items. Although this
should only be mildly annoying, players have immaturely and selfishly
rebelled against this "begging". This is an example of *widespread
unintelligence* in the gaming community. For it is obviously easier to
obtain currency as a stronger, higher-level character, and to spare a
few gold is a mere act of generosity.

6. Players are hostile to each other and they conform to a common
hatred of "whining". If you complain about anything, *even
intelligently*, you are accused of "crying" and insulted with such
conformist responses as, "Cry more, noob."

7. There is widespread cruelty and sadism in games like World of
Warcraft. In the real world, we are more or less on a social ladder
with the most talented and successful at the top, and the most disabled
at the bottom. Many at the bottom of the social ladder are
existentially depressed (if I may coin a term to do justice to the
frightening nature of the sadness) because of what they feel to be
their inferior traits, e.g., physical unattractiveness. Players know
this and hurl cruel insults at each other, such as "Everyone hates
you," "The whole world is laughing at you," and even "Kill yourself."
This is another activity I consider Satanic. I have been told to kill
myself at least four times.

8. It is extremely common for players to engage at what might be called
"Painted Bird behavior". If someone with even slightly unusual or
irritating personality traits tries to socialize with the other
players, they will often *team up* on this person, mercilessly
ridiculing them even after they display obvious frustration. This is
yet another activity I consider Satanic, and a quite unfortunate one
since it can be an actual simulation of Hell for the victims of the
behavior. I always stick up for the Painted Bird. There is no excuse
for that kind of treatment.

There are Devils who play World of Warcraft.

It is this combination of widespread cruelty, immaturity, intolerance,
and unintelligence that made me leave the online gaming community. I
found them very disgusting people.

Hylander

Apr 6, 2006, 11:10:20 PM4/6/06

I'm almost scared to get into the game because of how obsessive I could
become with it and after hearing about all the addictions. Well. I know
that Blizzard is very good at creating an addiction. So is "Evercrack"
and "City of Heros" and so many of those other graphically intense
graphical 1st person 3D MMORGPs

BTM Madness

Apr 12, 2006, 10:24:37 AM4/12/06
On Wed, 29 Mar 2006 08:56:04 GMT, "Gareeth" <garee...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

Is it better than Medieval Total War? Bought that game awhile and
didn't care much for it. I'll look it up though.

Catriona R

Apr 22, 2006, 6:15:20 PM4/22/06

(Hmm, was this really written on the 6th? Oh well I've typed out my reply
now, so posting it anyway, late as it is :P)

On 6 Apr 2006 11:59:28 -0700, "mike...@hotmail.com" <mike...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

>However, I dislike what I believe to be the social consequences of the
>implemented ruleset. If you play Alliance (the good side), you fight
>against another team of players who control monsters, called the Horde
>(the evil side). You can't talk to the opposing faction; however, you
>*can* 1) attack them, or 2) emote at them. By "emote", I mean any of a
>number of possibly hostile actions including laughter and spitting
>which are animated by the game. It is actually common for players to
>Hate (I am using a capital 'H' here) the opposing team.

Yup, I'm not a fan of that - many use the excuse that "it's a war", by
which proving that they've completely failed to read the game's history,
where it clearly states that the two sides are NOT at war, but are instead
in an unstable peace with occasional small skirmishes.

I wish there were some servers which reflected that, and allowed us to work
together with each other, and disabled PVP altogether. I would move to one
like that, as would a good friend of mine who prefers to play on the Horde
side (I prefer Alliance), as it's currently very annoying being unable to
communicate with each other or work together properly!

>Finally, I have had extremely unpleasant experiences with other
>players. They have formed their own immature culture. Here are a list
>of some things they do:
>
>1. Players unskilled at or new to the game are ridiculed and called
>"noobs" or "nubs". This is a common hatred to which many, if not most,
>players conform.

Sadly it's like that in any game or any area of the internet... there's
always elitist idiots. Likewise, there's always some helpful and friendly
people around; it's just not always easy to find them. Thankfully I seem to
have found some in WoW at last, and am now in a guild of very friendly
people, who didn't laugh at me for my lack of knowledge while I was
learning (I still am!) and are very accepting of others, so long as they
are of the same mindset.

>3. When you die in battle, you are reborn as a "ghost" in a graveyard
>and must return to your dead corpse to resurrect. Many players, after
>successfully killing your character, actually *wait by your corpse* so
>that when you resurrect (wounded), they can easily kill you again, and
>again, and again. This is called "corpse camping". I actually consider
>it a Satanic activity, as you are investing your time and patience to
>make another human being suffer.

That only happens if you play PVP; if you don't you're safe from it. It's
still not nice, but it's avoidable... sadly any game with the ability to
kill other players will be abused this way by losers who feel better about
themselves if they can ruin someone else's fun.

>5. Occasionally a newer player will ask a more powerful player to spare
>them some in-game currency so that they may buy items. Although this
>should only be mildly annoying, players have immaturely and selfishly
>rebelled against this "begging". This is an example of *widespread
>unintelligence* in the gaming community. For it is obviously easier to
>obtain currency as a stronger, higher-level character, and to spare a
>few gold is a mere act of generosity.

Actually I'm on the side of those who are against beggars. It's not like
the real world where if you don't have a job it's hard to get money. In WoW
the money is everywhere - if you don't have enough, go and kill something
until you have more. It's pure laziness that drives people to ask others
for money, and I won't support that - it's not hard to get your own money.
I'll be generous to friends, of course, but I won't encourage people who
want to annoy higher level characters with repeated private messages asking
for money, or even worse, shoving a trade window in my face (which *closes*
other windows, which prevents me from doing my own business) Also see your
point 2 about spamming - that's frequently used by beggars.

>6. Players are hostile to each other and they conform to a common
>hatred of "whining". If you complain about anything, *even
>intelligently*, you are accused of "crying" and insulted with such
>conformist responses as, "Cry more, noob."

I hate that too. Sadly the game (and particularly its forums) is populated
by a lot of children who've yet to learn that there can be more than one
opinion on a subject. Try alt.games.warcraft for a balanced discussion -
there's rarely any flaming there and most people are pretty intelligent and
give reasons for their opinions, rather than flames.

>It is this combination of widespread cruelty, immaturity, intolerance,
>and unintelligence that made me leave the online gaming community. I
>found them very disgusting people.

Just remember that not all are like that, and there's plenty of good people
around as well. I rarely bother having contact with others except when
forced to by the ridiculous number of endgame things that require groups
(there's nowhere near enough solo content), but the majority of people I've
come across are not as you describe. Perhaps you've played on PVP servers?
From what I've seen, those have far worse community spirit, as far more
anti-social types go there, due to having the freedom to kill the "enemy"
whenever they want. My PVE server has some idiots, but a lot of great
people too.
--
Catriona (22, AS)