DIET vs R/A

a j read

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00

I am a newby on this newsgroup so please bear with me .
I have had R/A from 1980. and for the past 6 yrs chronic.
affecting all major joints + some smaller ones ,I am interested in hearing
from people who have had relief from flare-ups by adjusting their diet
i ask this because 9mnths ago i stopped eating bread of any kind and
now i only get minor flare-ups.So there must be a connection .

I also would like to hear from people who have had relief from R/A by using
herbal and homeophathic remedies as well??
NO SPAM PLEASE
us...@buzter.softnet.co.uk

Gary

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
Wheat gives me a severe flare up. Like a clock i wake at 5 am hurting all
over after eating pizza or pasta the evening before. I switched to sprouted
grain breads and gave up my loves......pizza and pasta.

Gary
a j read <us...@buzter.softnet.co.uk> wrote in message

Lynette Brown

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
a j read wrote:

> I am a newby on this newsgroup so please bear with me .
> I have had R/A from 1980. and for the past 6 yrs chronic.
> affecting all major joints + some smaller ones ,I am interested in hearing
> from people who have had relief from flare-ups by adjusting their diet
> i ask this because 9mnths ago i stopped eating bread of any kind and
> now i only get minor flare-ups.So there must be a connection .
>
> I also would like to hear from people who have had relief from R/A by using
> herbal and homeophathic remedies as well??
> NO SPAM PLEASE
> us...@buzter.softnet.co.uk

It may not be the bread so much as the soy.

Lyn

Don Wiss

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, "a j read" <us...@buzter.softnet.co.uk> wrote:

>I have had R/A from 1980. and for the past 6 yrs chronic.
>affecting all major joints + some smaller ones ,I am interested in hearing
>from people who have had relief from flare-ups by adjusting their diet
>i ask this because 9mnths ago i stopped eating bread of any kind and
>now i only get minor flare-ups.So there must be a connection .

See articles listed on this page:

http://www.PaleoDiet.com/radiet.shtml

Don (donwiss at panix com).

Edward Olson

Jan 12, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/12/00
These are definitely interesting observations that I may have to try for myself.

Jeannette Olson

Gary wrote:

> Wheat gives me a severe flare up. Like a clock i wake at 5 am hurting all
> over after eating pizza or pasta the evening before. I switched to sprouted
> grain breads and gave up my loves......pizza and pasta.
>
> Gary

> a j read <us...@buzter.softnet.co.uk> wrote in message

> > I am a newby on this newsgroup so please bear with me .

> > I have had R/A from 1980. and for the past 6 yrs chronic.
> > affecting all major joints + some smaller ones ,I am interested in hearing
> > from people who have had relief from flare-ups by adjusting their diet
> > i ask this because 9mnths ago i stopped eating bread of any kind and
> > now i only get minor flare-ups.So there must be a connection .

jhac...@prodigy.net

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
"a j read" <us...@buzter.softnet.co.uk> wrote:

> I am a newby on this newsgroup so please bear with me .
> I have had R/A from 1980. and for the past 6 yrs chronic.
> affecting all major joints + some smaller ones ,I am interested in
hearing
> from people who have had relief from flare-ups by adjusting their diet
> i ask this because 9mnths ago i stopped eating bread of any kind and
> now i only get minor flare-ups.So there must be a connection .

AJ,

I have had quite a bit of success in eliminating/controlling my RA with
diet. In the past 2 years (diagnosed with severe RA in 10/97), my sed
rate has gone from 88 to 11 and my rheumatoid factor from 676 to 168. I
have gotten off disability and am again able to do normal activities.
I'd be happy to send you some more information, book titles, websites,
etc., to refer to that discuss this in more detail. Your experience is
shared by many with arthritis, but few follow up (or know how to follow
up) on it...Joseph

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.

JBLV999

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
I have not noticed a large improvement when adjusting my diet. I am interested
in exploring this more, as there are a number of books out there singing the
praises of RA controlled by diet. Any vegetarians out there who have helped
their RA by modifying their diet?
I take medications (Celebrex and Plaquinil) and Fish oil and Mannatech
products. I atttribute the ability to taper off of prednisone to the Fish oil
and Mannatech products - was in no position to do it prior to taking the
natural products.
Still stiff in the morning and really wanting to get off of the Celebrex
because of what I've read on this newsgroup about edema. Best of luck!
Heather

Harvey R. Stone

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
Hi Don, I lost some of your sites in a saved posts house cleaning. I
wonder if you would mind posting other sites that you have about diet.
Harv
Houston,Tx

Don Wiss wrote:

> On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, "a j read" <us...@buzter.softnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> >I have had R/A from 1980. and for the past 6 yrs chronic.
> >affecting all major joints + some smaller ones ,I am interested in hearing
> >from people who have had relief from flare-ups by adjusting their diet
> >i ask this because 9mnths ago i stopped eating bread of any kind and
> >now i only get minor flare-ups.So there must be a connection .

K.C.

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
For what it is worth, I eliminated nutrasweet and caffeine from my diet. It
didn't help my pain a bit, but I'm going to keep them out of my diet
anyway - just because. lol
K.C.
Washington State
in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge

"JBLV999" <wrote

Don Wiss

Jan 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/13/00
On Thu, 13 Jan 2000, "Harvey R. Stone" <h.r....@worldnet.att.net> wrote:

> I lost some of your sites in a saved posts house cleaning. I
>wonder if you would mind posting other sites that you have about diet.

Hi Harv,

I now have a page that lists all my other pages, though as I write this I
realize that it does not list the page of links to RA and diet. See:

http://www.gluten-free.org/

Don (who's off to add it now...)

Don Wiss

Jan 14, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/14/00
On Wed, 12 Jan 2000, "a j read" <us...@buzter.softnet.co.uk> wrote:

>I am a newby on this newsgroup so please bear with me .

>I have had R/A from 1980. and for the past 6 yrs chronic.
>affecting all major joints + some smaller ones ,I am interested in hearing
>from people who have had relief from flare-ups by adjusting their diet
>i ask this because 9mnths ago i stopped eating bread of any kind and
>now i only get minor flare-ups.So there must be a connection .

While trying to fix a broken link on my RA and diet page I found the below
article. Unfortunately one can not easily deep link to it. The URL was (and
it may or may not work):

http://www.mediconsult.com/mc/mcsite.nsf/conditionnav/arthritis~researchdigest?opendocument&start=1&count=10

And the article was in the middle of a page of many articles. So here it
is:

December 17, 1999
Veggies and Olive Oil May Protect Against Rheumatoid Arthritis

Chalk up more benefits for eating a Mediterranean diet—no, not a new fad,
but the typical diet of people who live in places like southern Italy and
Greece. These folks tend to eat more fish and vegetables and less meat than
other nationalities and lots of olive oil. Previous studies have suggested
this type of diet protects against cancer and heart disease. Now
researchers believe it also protects against rheumatoid arthritis.

Researchers from Harvard Medical School in Boston, Massachusetts, and the
University of Athens in Greece studied the lifetime diets of 145 Greek men
and women with rheumatoid arthritis (RA) and 188 control subjects without
it. Participants were asked to recall how often they ate a variety of foods
(more than 100 kinds) from childhood up to when their RA was diagnosed, or
up to the present for controls.

Participants were also asked to what extent they followed the Greek
Orthodox Lent, which requires abstinence from meat and animal products
twice a week and during four longer periods each year, for a total of 180
days. During these periods, people eat mostly fruit, cereals, and
vegetables, and strict adherents refrain from all fats, including olive
oil.

The researchers compared the group that consumed the most olive oil to the
group that consumed the least. Those in the group who consumed the least
olive oil were two and one-half times more likely to get RA than those in
the group that consumed the most olive oil. Similar results emerged for
vegetable consumption: Those who ate the most veggies were significantly
less likely to develop RA. No other food items had any significant
relationship to RA.

Writing in the "American Journal of Clinical Nutrition," the researchers
point out that no one knows exactly what causes RA, nor why eating certain
foods would affect it. Many researchers think that protective fatty acids
found in deep-water fish like tuna, herring, salmon, and cod help inhibit
the inflammation characteristic of RA. Similar substances are found in
olive oil, so that's one reason it might help prevent the disease. Another
is that olive oil is rich in antioxidants, which protect the body against
cellular damage that can cause chronic illness.

The researchers noted that fish from the relatively shallow Mediterranean
don't have as much protective fatty acid as deep-water fish, and that's
probably why fish consumption wasn't related to RA in this study.

According to the authors, the next step is to figure out how these foods,
especially the olive oil, work to protect the body against disease. They
suggest that somehow the process of metabolizing the oil suppresses
inflammation, but a lot more research is needed to understand why.

© 1999 Mediconsult.com. All rights reserved.

nwar...@optonline.net

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
There thousands who have achieved partial and even total relief from the
condition for change of diet, and other healing modalities. I am one of them.

Search the web for natural alternatives and arthritis and you will be astounded
at what you find.

Please be aware that these is a contingent of nasty people in this group who
are totally closed minded and resort to verbal violence and warfare tactics to
keep these kind of posts out. I on the other hand welcome you in. please ask
questions, and share. If the locusts come around, just ignore them.

Keep your eyes out for my posts this week as I intend to start discussing
natural treatments for this condition, and for healing disease generally.

Feel free to email me as well.

a j read wrote:

> I am a newby on this newsgroup so please bear with me .
> I have had R/A from 1980. and for the past 6 yrs chronic.
> affecting all major joints + some smaller ones ,I am interested in hearing
> from people who have had relief from flare-ups by adjusting their diet
> i ask this because 9mnths ago i stopped eating bread of any kind and
> now i only get minor flare-ups.So there must be a connection .

nwar...@optonline.net

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
This is good!

Not a bad idea to keep a food journal and start noticing the what foods make you
feel. You may have food sensitivities (which are different t from food allergies
and do NOT get picked up in blood tests. When offending foods are removed from
the diet, usually one feels much better.

A good kinesiologist can usually help determine offending foods very well. And
they can help diagnose what is causing the body to be sick in the first place as
well.

Gary wrote:

> Wheat gives me a severe flare up. Like a clock i wake at 5 am hurting all
> over after eating pizza or pasta the evening before. I switched to sprouted
> grain breads and gave up my loves......pizza and pasta.
>
> Gary

nwar...@optonline.net

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
Soy may reed havoc for many. Beward of it. Highly allergenic.

Lynette Brown wrote:

> a j read wrote:
> >
> > I am a newby on this newsgroup so please bear with me .
> > I have had R/A from 1980. and for the past 6 yrs chronic.
> > affecting all major joints + some smaller ones ,I am interested in hearing
> > from people who have had relief from flare-ups by adjusting their diet
> > i ask this because 9mnths ago i stopped eating bread of any kind and
> > now i only get minor flare-ups.So there must be a connection .
> >
> > I also would like to hear from people who have had relief from R/A by using
> > herbal and homeophathic remedies as well??
> > NO SPAM PLEASE
> > us...@buzter.softnet.co.uk

nwar...@optonline.net

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
I meant REEK HAVOC. OOPS.

nwar...@optonline.net

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
May be a yeast condition you have, or acidification, and many other things. Try to
find a good naturally oriented MD or practitioner and you may get wondrous relief.
No guarantees of course.

nwar...@optonline.net

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
Good idea

"K.C." wrote:

> For what it is worth, I eliminated nutrasweet and caffeine from my diet. It
> didn't help my pain a bit, but I'm going to keep them out of my diet
> anyway - just because. lol
> K.C.
> Washington State
> in the beautiful Columbia River Gorge

The Myers'

Jan 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/24/00
oooh,,, nwarrior, you were doing so well....

instead of adding that last part, you could have just said "be well" or
something..

before you post, ask yourself WWJS

(what would Jesus say)
would he say something like this?
Will this statement help your reputation as a giver and a helper?

nwar...@optonline.net

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
Good point as well.

Maybull2

Jan 25, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/25/00
Now you are stirring the shit in yet another thread. STOP IT!!!
Just STOP IT!!!!!!

JBLV999

Jan 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM1/26/00
Which foods do you find as the biggest culprits, according to people you have
talked to and research?
I would be very interested to know. Is it the refined foods, the dairy, the
tomato family? I think a food diary is an excellent idea.
Thanks,
Heather

ziger

Feb 20, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/20/00
No spam - I understand so I won't mention any names unless you mail me
privately for information. Let me tell you my story.

For 10 years, I've been hypothyroid, chronic fatigue and chronic pain.
I'm married with 2 kids during this time and it was pure hell just
getting through the days! I was sleeping 16 hours a day, in pain all
the time especially the hips! Rheumatoid arthritis runs in the family
and so does hypothroid and the two have been linked by studies - go
figure!! I've been to Dr's, gone on DR strike and went back again
-it's always a battle. "There's nothing wrong, my TSH is normal" The
implication is that "it's all in your head"! No, I want to scream,
it's all over my body!!!

What's changed?? I feel better, I sleep 9-11 hours a day, I have
energy and stamina; I feel like I have a life again. Why?? I've been
taking glyconutrients for 6 months. Did they work right away?? No I
was told it could take up to 12 months to see real results. I've seen
enought in 6 months to start telling everyone I know. I want everyone
who has ever suffered to see if this stuff will work for them. Can I
promise it will?? No way! Will it work for everyone?? No Has it
worked for many?? Yes It's a new science of working within the body to
boost the immune system so we can effectively fight off disease. I
could go on, but I won't because I'm sure you get what I'm saying. If
you want to talk some more, email me at zi...@execpc.com.

Maybull2

Feb 21, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/21/00
No advertising is permitted on this news group. Despite what you say this is
an advertisment. You are being reported to your isp.
Char

"Remember, I'm pulling for ya'. We're all in this together." Red Green

Dssnorwalk

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00
Let me get this straight. You seem to have just been lazy and slept to much for
the past ten years. All doctors told you there was nothing wrong with you and
that you had mental problems. Now you are selling a vitamin supplement and want
us to buy it because it cured your mental problems and so you are sure it will
cure RA and might make you money without working so you can go back to laying
in bed 16 hours a day...Is that right? Ken Mc

Liz G.

Feb 22, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/22/00

Dssnorwalk > wrote > Let me get this straight. You seem to have just been

lazy and slept to much for
> the past ten years. All doctors told you there was nothing wrong with you
and
> that you had mental problems.

Now Kenny, Be Nice! : ) I totally agree that if this person is selling
something they shouldn't talk about it here, but a lot of us have been told
it's all in our heads, only to end up with a diagnosis of RA or thyroid
problems. Chronic fatigue, family history of RA, and thyroid symptoms are
not all in the head. Been there, done that and with little kids to raise
too. Liz G

Ifish2b

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
>No spam - I understand so I won't mention any names unless you mail me
>privately for information. Let me tell you my story.

so, this makes it what, spam-light?

Sarah L

"Friends are those people who know the words to the song in your heart and sing
them back to you when you have forgotten the words." (unattributed)

Roxanne Hancock

Feb 23, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/23/00
Ifish2b wrote:

Fat free spam!!!! ;)

--
"There are some people that if they
don't know, you can't tell 'em."

Rox______________________________
http://www.geocities.com/SoHo/Nook/9300

Liz G.

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00

Sarah wrote

> >No spam - I understand so I won't mention any names unless you mail me
> >privately for information. Let me tell you my story.
>
> so, this makes it what, spam-light?

ROFLMAO! Liz G

Harvey R. Stone

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
I am telling you that there is noooo moss on these minds. LOLOLOL Better
than the jokes.
Harv

Roxanne Hancock wrote:

> Ifish2b wrote:
>
> > >No spam - I understand so I won't mention any names unless you mail me
> > >privately for information. Let me tell you my story.
> >
> > so, this makes it what, spam-light?

HILBEY

Feb 24, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/24/00
Bwahahahahah Ooooooh That is tooooo funny.
Sharon
hilbeyl...@monumental.com

Remove lluvmyRott to send mail

yeol...@my-deja.com

Feb 26, 2000, 3:00:00 AM2/26/00
In article <01d9cd66...@usw-ex0107-050.remarq.com>,

ziger <zigerN...@execpc.com.invalid> wrote:
> No spam - I understand so I won't mention any names unless you mail me
> privately for information. Let me tell you my story.
>
> For 10 years, I've been hypothyroid, chronic fatigue and chronic pain.
> I'm married with 2 kids during this time and it was pure hell just
> getting through the days!

Gee, in the sci.med.diseases.lyme, you said you'd been hypothyroid for 7
years. Which is it?

She's selling Mannatech folks.

There. *I've* said it.

And she's spamming other groups - alt.support.mult-sclerosis,
alt.support.thyroid, and sci.med.diseases.lyme to name a few.

*Please* don't be taken in.

Sorry about intruding on your group, but I'm determined to stop
Mannadrekkers whenever I can. Can't stand folks who prey on the
frailties of others.

Take care.
P.
This message has been brought to you by:
/\ /\
/ \ ^~~^ / \
/ ( '' ) \
/ { } \
/ " " \
YE OLDE BAT
PamY - Spokesmom for Jennie who has MS

> I was sleeping 16 hours a day, in pain all
> the time especially the hips! Rheumatoid arthritis runs in the family
> and so does hypothroid and the two have been linked by studies - go
> figure!! I've been to Dr's, gone on DR strike and went back again
> -it's always a battle. "There's nothing wrong, my TSH is normal" The
> implication is that "it's all in your head"! No, I want to scream,
> it's all over my body!!!
>
> What's changed?? I feel better, I sleep 9-11 hours a day, I have
> energy and stamina; I feel like I have a life again. Why?? I've
been
> taking glyconutrients for 6 months. Did they work right away?? No I
> was told it could take up to 12 months to see real results. I've seen
> enought in 6 months to start telling everyone I know. I want everyone
> who has ever suffered to see if this stuff will work for them. Can I
> promise it will?? No way! Will it work for everyone?? No Has it
> worked for many?? Yes It's a new science of working within the body
> boost the immune system so we can effectively fight off disease. I
> could go on, but I won't because I'm sure you get what I'm saying. If
> you want to talk some more, email me at zi...@execpc.com.
>
> * Sent from RemarQ http://www.remarq.com The Internet's Discussion
Network *
> The fastest and easiest way to search and participate in Usenet -
Fre