someone to talk to..who's going through the same thing...

Pierced Chick

Mar 31, 2004, 8:10:45 PM3/31/04
I went 43 days without weed...43 days. Three nights ago, I decided I'd try
it & see if I can just do it socially. That was my test to myself...I
failed. I went through a program & completed it, then I started smoking up
again. How stupid was that? I thought I was stronger than that. I don't
want to keep using, but I like the feeling I get when I'm high. It's like
there's nothing out there that can ever bring me down....that is, until the
high wears off & I'm back where I started. Depressed, lonely, afraid &
questioning the intentions of everyone around me.

Does anyone else feel this way or is there anyone out there that I can talk
to about this? I'm seeing a counsellor, one for mental & a rehab counsellor
through addictions in my area. The only thing is, I don't think I can see
this rehab counsellor since I relapsed...so I'm back to going into group
sessions & NA meetings. I have gone to any NA meetings, but I've done
plenty of group sessions. I'm planning on going to a meeting tomorrow
night, my first one...wish me luck! :)

~Pierced Chick~

gmals

Nov 2, 2004, 4:59:03 AM11/2/04
Hi, I'm also trying to quit smoking pot. I smoked too much in high school
and now after going through a breakup with a girl I love very much pot has
adverse effects on me. Immediately after the breakup I got high, and for
the next week I continued to get high, to take the pain away.

Nothing could be farther from the truth, the pain goes away...temporarily
and when I would come down I'd be more depressed than ever. I love the
girl dearly and I am still sore about it, she lives below me, and it pains
me to see her everyday knowing she's no longer that important part of my
life. I cry sometimes when I think about how much everything in the world
reminds me of her.

The pot was being abused, straight up abused, and now if I smoke I start
to get a mild anxiety type attack, there is immense social pressure to
smoke, not active pressure, but most of my close friends are potheads,
worse too. The trick in beating the urge to spark the herb is to envision
the outcome of the whole proccess. If you can keep in mind that after
coming down you'll feel worse, it should be easier not to smoke. It's
very important, pot is a much more powerful and mind-altering substance
than the label it gets from society. It's not the 70s anymore, it's a
psychotropic drug now.

Pot supresses my ability to be honest with myself, and just clouds my mood
only to let reality hit me like a ton of bricks when I come down. It is
called a drug for a reason.

Alice

Nov 10, 2004, 4:20:35 AM11/10/04
You are so right about all this. You are having a tough time and it sounds
like you're doing really well. You have lost a woman and a drug...double
grief, even though one or both were harmful to you.
I am 16 months clean of drugs (I incluse alcohol as a drug). Treatment,
then AA and NA keep me clean and I've learnt to be so happy now. Its not
just stopping using, its changing your attitude and outlook on
life...getting more laid back, and positive and hopeful.
All these things in recovery give you a better chance of having a healthy
relationship one day.
Pots was my drug of choice for 22 years...from before getting out to bed,
until I slept. I didn't see, as you have, just how much of a depressant and
psychosis inducing drug it is.
Without it, but with support, and people who have felt the same and behaved
the same as me, I am such a different, more peaceful person now.
Amazing. Try it and hang in there.
Alice UK
"gmals" <gmal...@nospam.rochester.edu> wrote in message