NEW:Missing in Action 1/6: K/S;TOS;A/U: Rae Trail; NC-17

rae trail

May 1, 2003, 12:55:07 PM5/1/03
NEW: MISSING IN ACTION
CODES: K/S; TOS: A/U
RATING:Mildly NC-17 for m/m sex, mostly implied
AUTHOR: Rae Trail
ARCHIVE: ASCEM, Allslash, Marianne; others please ask
FEEDBACK: Good or bad: raetrail at yahoo dot ca
DISCLAIMER: The Star Trek universe belongs to
Paramount/Viacom. I make no money from this, and no
infringement is intended. This is just for fun.
NOTES/SUMMARY: I wanted to write an amnesia story.
Sincere thanks to my inspiration, Jenna Hilary Sinclair, for her
story 'The World Turned Upside Down'. I was sitting one day,
reading it, and I thought *what if it was Kirk that suffered a
severe head injury?* After much research, I realized it would
be very different for a Human than for a Vulcan, and this
evolved from that. Hope you don't mind, Jenna.

Missing in Action
Rae Trail

Part 1 of 6

Spock raced through the corridors toward Sickbay, Kirk
struggling rather feebly in his arms. Blood from the various
shrapnel wounds left a slippery trail behind him, red and green
mixing into a sickly brown.

"Centre bed, Spock!" McCoy wasted no time with aiming his
tricorder, scanning Kirk as Chapel began to cut the tunic and
trousers off of him. "What the hell did this?"

"Pipe bomb," Spock replied, lowering himself to sit on the first
bed. He stilled his panic as best he could, unwilling to break
down in front of these, of all, Humans.

"Barbaric. How badly are *you* hurt, Spock?"

Fear was almost overwhelming him. "My injuries are
superficial. How is the Captain? He was much closer to the
explosion than I was."

McCoy became grim. "He's worse than he looks. How long
was he totally unconscious? Did his head strike the ground?
Was he coherent at all after the blast?"

"He was unconscious for approximately 15 minutes while I
carried him to the surface to beam up. He began to move
seconds before beam-up. His head struck the ground with
considerable force. He has not been coherent."

"Okay, go get Ionie to fix you up in the next treatment room,
Spock. Chris, we need to operate now, oedema is advancing
rapidly and we have both coup and contra coup site
haematomas, extensive tearing, as well as a skull fracture and
imbedded shrapnel at the impact site..."

Spock retreated from the room and found the junior doctor,
Retsas Ionie, looking through the door from the next treatment
area. She looked pale, he thought. "Doctor Ionie, I have
several lacerations that require regeneration."

"Yes, sir, Commander." She turned from the sight of McCoy
administering the anti-oedema medications. "Head injuries
always scare me. My younger brother... sorry. You don't need
to know about that. Will you please remove your shirt,
Commander?"

Spock complied, and sat gingerly on a stool. "What happened
to your younger brother, Doctor?"

She sighed and pulled a treatment tray up beside him. "Aircar
accident. It was over an hour before he was found, though, and
there wasn't a very good treatment facility. He suffered severe
brain injury and was in coma for ten days. It was twenty years
ago, and he still suffers from seizures and anterograde amnesia.
He hasn't been able to work since, and it's a terrible waste,
because he's very smart. He just can't hold onto a memory for
more than a few minutes." She was carefully cleaning his
small wounds, one at a time, and sealing the torn flesh. Spock
held very still, trying to ignore the touching, trying to control
his sudden need to shiver.

"Did he suffer retrograde amnesia, as well?" The panic was
returning in full force. What if this happened to his Jim? What
would he do?

"Only for a couple of days, funnily enough. He remembers
almost everything from before the accident. It's remembering
new things, moment to moment, since the accident he has
trouble. He has to use a padd to remember to brush his teeth.
He has a page with pictures on it to remember his friends and
his family." She moved up to a rather deep laceration on his
left cheek as Montgomery Scott entered the room, his face
creased with worry.

"How is he, sir?"

"Unknown, Mister Scott. Doctor McCoy diagnosed a
concussive brain injury as well as the projectile injuries. He is
in surgery now."

Scott swore imaginatively for a moment. "What are your
orders regarding those heathens in the caves, sir?"

"Inform StarFleet of what occurred on the planet. Until the
civil war ends these people are not eligible for Federation
membership. Inform their Prime Minister's office. Get the
ship underway to our next assignment." He almost flinched as
Ionie ran the regenerator over his facial wound. "I shall be on
the bridge as soon as I can get a clean uniform."

"Yes, sir." Scott left, looking more worried than when he had
come in. Ionie stood back and surveyed her work, then picked
up her tricorder and scanned him.

"Other than bruising, you should be fine, Commander. The
regen scars will fade in a day or two. Expect some muscular
pain in the morning."

"Very well. Keep me informed of Captain Kirk's condition."
Spock stood and picked up his ruined tunic, and then tossed it
in the waste disposal. He nodded his thanks to the young
doctor and walked out. The only antidote for his anxiety and
fear was work. He would work.

*

McCoy stood beside Kirk's bed hours later, deeply worried.
Kirk was absolutely white, except for the deep bruises that
were beginning, already, to heal, and the black circles under his
eyes. The surgery had gone well, the swelling and bleeding of
his brain had stopped. However, there had been two seizures
early on, and Kirk had dropped into coma.

All signs pointed to a moderate to severe brain injury. That
was on top of the broken arm and the sudden deceleration
injury to his neck, and the damage to his spleen and liver. The
internal organs were mending now. The bones had been
mended, but the whiplash would bother Kirk for a few days.
That is, if he woke up to enjoy the pain and stiffness he had
earned by once again charging into the fray.

McCoy controlled the surge of anger. He knew it came from
fear, and he also knew that it was a useless emotion. Emotion.
Spock had been down five times, actually been in to see Kirk
rather than just calling for updates. McCoy had caught him
holding Kirk's hand, at one point. And he claimed to have no
emotions! McCoy would be sure to tease him about it. Once
Jim was well enough to enjoy the banter.

M'Benga came in and silently glanced over the readings, and
the padd that contained the treatment information, before
dropping a hand on McCoy's shoulder. "Get some sleep, Len.
I'll sit with him."

McCoy nodded, knowing it was the smart thing to do. "Wake
me..."

"...if there's any change. I will, of course."

"Thanks Joe." He sighed once, then leaned over the bed and
took Kirk's hand. "Come on back to us, Jim. We need you out
here."

There was, of course, no response. McCoy straightened up and
exchanged looks with M'Benga. "Goodnight, Joe."

"I hope so, Len."

McCoy first made his way to the mess hall. He knew that, in
his anxious state, he would have trouble sleeping but he didn't
want to resort to drugs or alcohol in case Kirk needed him
during the night. A plate of carbohydrates would have the
same effect as a three or four of shots of bourbon, without the
hangover. He ordered spaghetti and sat down. The mess hall
was almost empty, just a few Beta Shift night owls still up. Oh
two hundred hours. He really did need to get some sleep.

He kept reviewing the possible effects of brain injury in
humans, scaring himself, and then comforting himself with the
knowledge that the anti-oedema drugs and the quick repair of
the haemorrhages would have mitigated the damage somewhat.
However, the shrapnel had pierced nearly two centimetres into
the right parietal lobe, and may have encroached on
Wernicke's area. There was, unfortunately, an extremely good
chance that Jim's injury could cause long-term loss of some
brain functions.

He'd made it clear to Spock that the prognosis was not good.
Spock hadn't moved or spoken. Human brains didn't heal
themselves neatly the way Vulcan brains did. There were drug
treatments and behavioural treatments that could encourage the
brain to re-route or re-learn lost and misplaced information, but
that took time. Weeks or months. Sometimes the miracle
didn't happen, if the damage was extensive.

There was absolutely no way to tell the extent of the damage or
possible dysfunction without Jim awake and co-operating.

Finishing his spaghetti, McCoy got up and made his slow way
up to his cabin. He would have one glass of bourbon while the
anaesthetic carbohydrates kicked in, and then hit the sack.

His comm sounded at oh six thirty, and he stabbed it without
turning on the light. "McCoy."

"Len, he's coming out of coma. Indications are for near-
normal sleep."

"On my way."

End of part 1 of 6

"I have one job on this lousy ship, it's stupid, but I'm going to do
it!" Sigourney Weaver in "Galaxy Quest"
www.allslash.org is my main home

syredronning

May 1, 2003, 2:55:02 PM5/1/03
--- In ASC...@yahoogroups.com, "rae trail" <raetrail@y...> wrote:
> NEW: MISSING IN ACTION
> CODES: K/S; TOS: A/U

> NOTES/SUMMARY: I wanted to write an amnesia story.

Woah. Great story. The research did pay off, Rae, it reads very true
and believable. Very satisfying ending :) Thank you!

Birgit :)

rae trail

May 1, 2003, 4:55:08 PM5/1/03
May 1, 2003, 10:55:07 PM5/1/03
May 1, 2003, 10:55:03 PM5/1/03
--- In ASC...@yahoogroups.com, "rae trail" <raetrail@y...> wrote:
> NEW: MISSING IN ACTION
> CODES: K/S; TOS: A/U
> RATING:Mildly NC-17 for m/m sex, mostly implied
> AUTHOR: Rae Trail
> ARCHIVE: ASCEM, Allslash, Marianne; others please ask
> FEEDBACK: Good or bad: raetrail at yahoo dot ca
> DISCLAIMER: The Star Trek universe belongs to
> Paramount/Viacom. I make no money from this, and no
> infringement is intended. This is just for fun.
> NOTES/SUMMARY: I wanted to write an amnesia story.
> Sincere thanks to my inspiration, Jenna Hilary Sinclair, for her
> story 'The World Turned Upside Down'. I was sitting one day,
> reading it, and I thought *what if it was Kirk that suffered a
> severe head injury?* After much research, I realized it would
> be very different for a Human than for a Vulcan, and this
> evolved from that. Hope you don't mind, Jenna.

Fic inspiring more fic. I like that. Nice way to get his memory back, too :)

-Hy

TThri...@aol.com

May 2, 2003, 8:55:08 AM5/2/03
In a message dated 5/1/03 12:08:59 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
raet...@yahoo.ca writes:

> NEW: MISSING IN ACTION
> CODES: K/S; TOS: A/U
> RATING:Mildly NC-17 for m/m sex, mostly implied
> AUTHOR: Rae Trail

Rae, DAMN!

Once again, you have completely mesmerized me. I felt like I was right there
with them. Oh, the hurt and the comfort were so real. Angst galore! And I
just loved the tenderness from Spock, as well as the other characters.
Absolutely Wonderful!

T'Thrill

rae trail

May 2, 2003, 12:55:02 PM5/2/03
> Once again, you have completely mesmerized me. I felt like I was
right there
> with them. Oh, the hurt and the comfort were so real. Angst
galore! And I
> just loved the tenderness from Spock, as well as the other
characters.
> Absolutely Wonderful!
>
> T'Thrill

Thank you! I love doing h/c angst sometimes, it's fun to write, isn't
it? Very glad you enjoyed, and thanks again for FB.

Cheers!
Rae

"I have one job on this lousy ship, it's stupid, but I'm going to do
it!" Sigourney Weaver in "Galaxy Quest"
www.allslash.org is my main home

dina6377057

May 3, 2003, 8:55:02 PM5/3/03
Hi Rae,
I liked this so much that when I finished it, I turned back to the
beginning and started all over again!

Dina

rae trail

May 4, 2003, 12:55:04 AM5/4/03
May 22, 2003, 8:55:03 AM5/22/03
Just got the chance to read "Missing in Action" and wanted to let you
know how much I enjoyed it! It has all the elements I look for in
K/S - romance, realistic dialogue, love, and passionate sex. Your
very impressive research on head injury was a nice bonus, as was the
happy ending. Thanks for a great reading experience!

Jesmihr