that nail in my grave...

Emily Salzfass

Apr 1, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/1/98

To:
as...@earthlink.net
From:
tr...@tiltawhirl.com (Emily Salzfass)
Subject:
that nail in my grave...
Date:
Tue, 31 Mar 1998 01:50:55 -0700

Hi ASCEM --

It's late, I'm cranky, working on this fanfic project has been driving
me
crazy, and on these beautiful days I regret being stuck in front of a
computer. So I apologize again for the ranting, raving, and
hyperanalysis
of my previous "ASCEM community" post, but that's the kind of thing I'm
working through for this project, so I actually do want to know.

I am very "out" about my Trek passion, and the paper I'm writing
suggests
as much. I am all over saying that Trek fandom is a great community,
that
fanfic is an empowering and positive forum, and that we as a group are
thoroughly and effectively shaping an inadequate canon to fit our
growing
needs. [I've also coined "fanon" to mean "fan canon"...it's yours, if
you
want it...<g>] We are masters of our small universe, and we don't let
anyone tell us what we can and can't do. Hence the net, with its free
(currently) speech and public possibilities, and here we are, for the
most
part, able to say and do and write whatever we please.

And, yes, people have different tastes. And, no, I don't expect
everyone to
love my work, and I'm not begging for friends.

I was simply trying to figure this stuff out.

In other words:

ASCEM -- keep on doing what you're doing. I love you for it. I am proud
be a part of this little dancing revolution.

With love, respect, and apologies for any stepped-on toes, I return to
the
Thesis Which is my Slave-Driver,

Emily

___________ Emily Salzfass at Swarthmore College _______________
TWO STOLEN SIGS:
"Drink your coffee. People in India are sleeping."
"Stereotyping doesn't put people in boxes; people put people in boxes."
______ fan culture on the Internet: http://www.tiltawhirl.com _______

Kym Hamilton

Apr 2, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/2/98

Don't sweat it, darlin'. Like i said in my email to Jane, i don't
think anyone one this channel is gonna pack up and leave 'cos they don't
like what someone has said.

And i doubt you'll be in any trouble at all. After all, this is a free
speech, say-what-you-think kinda list. If they didn't want to hear it,
they wouldn't advertise it like that.

Besides, if i didn't get rousted for my little email, then you sure as
hell ain't likely to get rousted for yours.

Cheers,

^Q the Immortal