Obituary Notice

cjji...@peoplepc.com

May 13, 2007, 2:12:01 AM5/13/07
I am grieved to report that Fred, also known to fanfiction readers as Fred,
Lover of Wesley's Ass, has passed away.

He was 61 years of age.

His companion of the last four years informed me at 10:00 pm central time
that Fred died suddenly of a massive heart attack after a night of fun and
frolic. He was, in the words of his friend, "Having fun and chasing ass."

It was quick and he felt no pain.

In his last few years, Fred had experienced a resurgence of youth and
vitality and had made the decision to become a sperm donor in the last four
years and, in that way, was able to become a father. Fred had just heard two
days previous to his passing that one of their friends is now expecting.
Fred was the donor.

His companion, a young man who has asked not to be named for professional
reasons, said that in this way Fred will be immortal.

Fred started out in K/S during the era of the zine. Popular among the early
K/Sers and with a roguish sense of humor, he was often confused by
convention goers as Fred Rogers due to his physical resemblance to the
children's programming icon. Being rather naughty by nature, he ran with
the idea. First, he wrote under the name of
Lady Fairchilde as a lark, then later he adopted the personna of several of
Mr. Roger's characters as his writing aliases before finally landing on the
name 'Fred'.

His true identity is still unknown to most and will remain so on the request
of his
companion. Often Fred collaborated with other writers in all night jam
sessions and spurred a series of challenges. His identity was so unique and
his personality so vibrant, he also 'starred' as a fictional character ala
TSU in many a story, including many written by myself.

In real life, Fred was a musician attached to several prominent classical
orchestras. He was, for many years, the companion to two other musicians in
a polyamorous relationship. The three men parted as lovers upon Fred's
retirement but they remained close, often visiting back and forth. Fred
prided himself on never burning bridges or abandoning friendships.

Always voracious in his sexual proclivities, he had loved both men and women
with the same passion he felt for food and song. He often told people that
life and love were feasts to be shared and savored by many and in great
quantities. Instead of retiring to a simple life of gardening, as many
people his age might have done, he met a younger man who he shared his
remaining days with. His companion, only 36 to Fred's 61, told me Fred was
like a teenager, playful and hard to keep up with.

It was said with great affection.

They had met when Fred was looking for an apartment and he was Fred's
landlord. Within a week, they were living together. June 15th would have
marked their fourth anniversary.

Most of Fred's work is lost to us in the form of out of print zines but a
few still survive
online. He was a Golden Oh winner several times over and prided himself on
his sense ofsatire, his ability to write scorching hot sex scenes involving
character most writers avoided pairing together, and his close network of
friends in the fanfiction community.

To Fred! Safe journey to the happy hunting grounds. You will be missed.

---Jennifer Ingram

Dale

May 13, 2007, 3:03:13 AM5/13/07
--- cjji...@peoplepc.com wrote:

> To Fred! Safe journey to the happy hunting grounds.
> You will be missed.

Hi Jen,

A great tribute to a fun loving guy.

I favored his R/Wes titled: Awakening Desire
of his work I've had the privilege to read.
He definitely let Wesley grow up --Hot story.

My condolences to those of you who were close
to Fred. I know you will miss him.

-Dale

Don't pick lemons.
See all the new 2007 cars at Yahoo! Autos.
http://autos.yahoo.com/new_cars.html

Starshadow

May 13, 2007, 3:49:53 AM5/13/07
cjji...@peoplepc.com wrote:

Thanks for the moving obit and the notice. I didn't know Fred, except
through the stories
I read avidly online when I first fell into the slash pool, but I am
glad to know the man
behind them was as delightful as the stories were.

Fred, go with the gods, and safe passage to the Summerland. You'll be
missed.

--

Diftor heh smusmeh,

Starshadow www.starshadow.net
"Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, K/S is canon, so what's it to you?"

Acidqueen

May 13, 2007, 5:38:35 AM5/13/07
Hello Jen,

> I am grieved to report that Fred, also known to fanfiction readers as Fred,
> Lover of Wesley's Ass, has passed away.

I'm sorry to hear that. In a way, fanfic writers are as immortal as
the characters (and actors) to me, so I hate to face the fact that
they ain't...

But glad to hear he had such a great, interesting and fulfilled life.

Birgit

http://www.syredronning.de

Mriana

May 13, 2007, 11:19:46 AM5/13/07
I'm so sorry to hear this. Please pass along my condolences to his companion.

cjji...@peoplepc.com wrote: I am grieved to report that Fred, also known to fanfiction readers as Fred,

Lover of Wesley's Ass, has passed away.

He was 61 years of age.

Mriana
Mriana, Daughter of the Sixth House of Betazed- http://houseofbetazed.com
Bridge To Sickbay- http://bridgetosickbay.houseofbetazed.com
Chakotay's Lodge- http://chakotayslodge.houseofbetazed.com
The Replicator- http://thereplicator.houseofbetazed.com
Constable Odo's Quarters- http://constableodosquarters.houseofbetazed.com

cjji...@peoplepc.com

May 13, 2007, 12:31:15 PM5/13/07
I was just talking to my husband about Summerland this morning. I asked him where he would rather end up; Happy Hunting Grounds or Summerland? I don't know where Fred is, but I'm willing to bet it involves water, a lot of tail, and every food he could ever want to eat.

Definitely.

---Jen

cjji...@peoplepc.com

May 13, 2007, 12:28:58 PM5/13/07
That was actually my favorite as well. Chris and I are about to go pick up the baby and visit around then this afternoon we're going to join some other friends at his 'wake'.

He was a good guy. At first, I didn't think I'd like him because his personality was a little hard to pin down, but he kind of grew on you. He was a lot like the dog alien I portrayed him as in a lot of my fic: a little gross, not totally housebroken, but endearing.

Chris is actually taking it the hardest. Fred and he had become friends.

----Jen

> To Fred! Safe journey to the happy hunting grounds.
> You will be missed.

Hi Jen,

A great tribute to a fun loving guy.

I favored his R/Wes titled: Awakening Desire
of his work I've had the privilege to read.
He definitely let Wesley grow up --Hot story.

My condolences to those of you who were close
to Fred. I know you will miss him.

-Dale

cjji...@peoplepc.com

May 13, 2007, 12:38:35 PM5/13/07
He was something else. You see, I had 'made up' the character of Fred based on some stories I had heard about some guy who wrote slash and one day, out of nowhere, the real Fred showed up. It was...unexpected to say the least. :-)

Anyway, Fred loved the idea and adopted the name since he'd been inching toward it anyway for years, and let me keep doing what I had been doing. He said, after all, I gave him the idea for the name change, might as well keep going.

He would pop by Fuh-Q every once in a while, then, a few years back, he settled in permanently. A little quiet (Fred was a wanderer, he didn't stay still long enough to type) he was still ever present.

Every once in a while I'd run into someone who knew him and they'd all have the same reaction. "Oh yeah, I know Fred." Then they'd give you a little smile that said it all. You can't really say his name without smiling.

He was that kind of guy.

----Jen
> I am grieved to report that Fred, also known to fanfiction readers as Fred,
> Lover of Wesley's Ass, has passed away.

I'm sorry to hear that. In a way, fanfic writers are as immortal as
the characters (and actors) to me, so I hate to face the fact that
they ain't...

But glad to hear he had such a great, interesting and fulfilled life.

Birgit

http://www.syredronning.de

kathl...@aol.com

May 13, 2007, 1:55:11 PM5/13/07
In a message dated 5/12/2007 11:12:30 PM Pacific Standard Time,
cjji...@peoplepc.com writes:
> Subj: [ASCEML] Obituary Notice
> I am grieved to report that Fred, also known to fanfiction readers as Fred,
> Lover of Wesley's Ass, has passed away.
> . . .

I'm sorry to hear about his passing.

>>>Fred started out in K/S during the era of the zine. > Most of Fred's work

> is lost to us in the form of out of print zines

Just about every out of print K/S fanzine is available to borrow through the
K/S Press library. (And, of course, many K/S fanzines are still in print.)
See this website for information on the library. (There are two branches, one
in the US and one in the UK):

http://beyonddreamspress.com/

The yahoo group, kirkspockcentral, has a great resource, a listing of almost
every story that has ever been published in a K/S zine. What pseudonyms did
he use? I could look up his stories and post a list of the story titles and
the name of the fanzines his works were published in.

Kathy R.

**************************************
See what's free at http://www.aol.com.

cjji...@peoplepc.com

May 13, 2007, 1:39:29 PM5/13/07
Consider the message passed.

Thank you.

---Jen
May 13, 2007, 12:46:15 PM5/13/07
Thank you. I'm talking to him now. I've sent along all of your condolences.

---Jen
> I was just talking to my husband about Summerland this morning. I asked him where he would rather end up; Happy Hunting Grounds or Summerland? I don't know where Fred is, but I'm willing to bet it involves water, a lot of tail, and every food he could ever want to eat.
>
> Definitely.
>
> ---Jen

I hope you pass on my best to his companion, too. Please tell him from

Starshadow, "I grieve with thee." And I do.

The Summerland is a good place. I'm sure it has all of those things and
more.

My gods aren't exactly celibate...

Hehehe...

I wish I could have known him. Next lifetime, likely.

--

Diftor heh smusmeh,

Starshadow www.starshadow.net
"Roses are Red, Violets are Blue, K/S is canon, so what's it to you?"

cjji...@peoplepc.com

May 13, 2007, 2:42:35 PM5/13/07
I'm not sure about all of them. He liked to sneak up on you. I do know Lady Fairchilde was one and if you're up on Mr. Roger's Neighborhood you can sort out the rest. Look for any with 'Fred' or 'Roger' and it might be him. Also 'King something'.

---Jen
May 13, 2007, 3:41:37 PM5/13/07
In a message dated 5/13/2007 11:44:34 AM Pacific Standard Time,
cjji...@peoplepc.com writes:
> Subj: Re: [ASCEML] Obituary Notice
>
> I'm not sure about all of them. He liked to sneak up on you. I do know Lady
> Fairchilde was one and if you're up on Mr. Roger's Neighborhood you can sort
> out the rest. Look for any with 'Fred' or 'Roger' and it might be him. Also
> 'King something'.
> ---Jen

I just tried a search under "Lady Fairchilde", "Fred" or "Roger", but no
luck. I don't have any familiarity with Mr. Roger's Neighborhood, so I wouldn't
recognize any references. I tried under "king", but there's 149 pages in this
document, and it kept bringing up common words like "making" "taking",
"liking" etc. (Besides name of story, name of author, and name of the fanzine, this
listing also includes 1 or 2 line story descriptions). Any more suggestions on
names I can search for?

Kathy R.

cjji...@peoplepc.com

May 13, 2007, 10:25:37 PM5/13/07
Ask Charlene. She might have a few ideas, but like I said, Fred was fond of keeping you guessing.

I know for a fact that for a while he wrote under no less than six names in different fandoms.

Me? I could barely remember to use my married name for the first six months. <konks head> Defective brain.

---Jen

Spiletta42

May 14, 2007, 9:58:29 AM5/14/07
Try "King Friday"

--- In ASC...@yahoogroups.com, <cjjingram@...> wrote:

> I just tried a search under "Lady Fairchilde", "Fred" or "Roger",
but no
> luck. I don't have any familiarity with Mr. Roger's Neighborhood,
so I wouldn't
> recognize any references. I tried under "king", but there's 149
pages in this
> document, and it kept bringing up common words like "making"
"taking",
> "liking" etc. (Besides name of story, name of author, and name of
the fanzine, this
> listing also includes 1 or 2 line story descriptions). Any more
suggestions on
> names I can search for?
>
> Kathy R.

kathl...@aol.com

May 15, 2007, 1:18:18 AM5/15/07
In a message dated 5/14/2007 10:07:32 PM Pacific Standard Time,
charlene...@gmail.com writes:
> Subj: Re: [ASCEML] Obituary Notice
> On 5/13/07, cjji...@peoplepc.com <cjji...@peoplepc.com> wrote:
> >Ask Charlene. She might have a few ideas, but like I said, Fred was fond of
> keeping you guessing.
> >I know for a fact that for a while he wrote under no less than six names in
> different fandoms.
>
> Actually, I have a lead for kathleener. Can you check for zines either
> in French or published in Canada? I remember Fred writing once that he
> had a drawer full of stories back when he was living in Greenwich
> Village, but that most of them had been written before he ended up in
> New York. In fact, I think he might have been from Eastern Ontario or
> Western Quebec originally, since he used to make jokes about Hull
> strip clubs.
>
> That was ten - eleven! - years ago so I might not be remembering correctly.
> Charlene charlene...@gmail.com

There was a series of K/S zines, published in Canada in the early 80s called
"Another K/S Zine", "And Another K/S Zine", etc. I'm still in touch with the
editor, so I could run this past her and see what she recalls. (Still no luck
with any of his pseudonyms.)

I do have a couple of issues of a French language K/S zine. They were
published in France in the early 90s. If I get the chance this weekend, I'll pull
them out and look at tribber list. (I've owned, at one time or another, or have
read, almost every K/S zine ever published, with the exception of a number of
German language zines. I probably missed out on some Japanese zines, as
well.)

Kathy R.

Charlene

May 15, 2007, 1:29:19 AM5/15/07
This would have been *way* before TNG was even on the air. It could be
that his stuff was never formally collected, which sucks - I had scans
of one or two of them (mimeographed!) on my old hard drive, but I lost
it all when I lost my own stuff in 1998? 1999?

--
Charlene charlene...@gmail.com

Charlene

May 15, 2007, 1:04:22 AM5/15/07
> Ask Charlene. She might have a few ideas, but like I said, Fred was fond of keeping you guessing.
>
> I know for a fact that for a while he wrote under no less than six names in different fandoms.
>
> Me? I could barely remember to use my married name for the first six months. <konks head> Defective brain.

Actually, I have a lead for kathleener. Can you check for zines either

in French or published in Canada? I remember Fred writing once that he
had a drawer full of stories back when he was living in Greenwich
Village, but that most of them had been written before he ended up in
New York. In fact, I think he might have been from Eastern Ontario or
Western Quebec originally, since he used to make jokes about Hull
strip clubs.

That was ten - eleven! - years ago so I might not be remembering correctly.

--
Charlene charlene...@gmail.com

kathl...@aol.com

May 15, 2007, 1:20:22 AM5/15/07

Kathy R.

cjji...@peoplepc.com

May 15, 2007, 1:29:58 AM5/15/07
He was French Canadian. I used to call him at least once or twice a month when he was in New York and when he got his cell plan changed he called back all the time. He and Chris used to go on and on about cars and ZZ Top.

Fred, a ZZ Top fan, who knew?

After he moved back, my cell plan no longer covered it so we had to settle for e-mail.

Anyway, when he was on vacation three years ago (?) I know he visited Heather in Italy. Also, Mark Stanley was good friends with the guy who Fred moved in with. He moved back there after he retired. Mark's the one who told him about the condos.

Ask Mark or Heather, they might know as well.

---Jen
> Ask Charlene. She might have a few ideas, but like I said, Fred was fond of keeping you guessing.
>
> I know for a fact that for a while he wrote under no less than six names in different fandoms.
>
> Me? I could barely remember to use my married name for the first six months. <konks head> Defective brain.

Actually, I have a lead for kathleener. Can you check for zines either
in French or published in Canada? I remember Fred writing once that he
had a drawer full of stories back when he was living in Greenwich
Village, but that most of them had been written before he ended up in
New York. In fact, I think he might have been from Eastern Ontario or
Western Quebec originally, since he used to make jokes about Hull
strip clubs.

That was ten - eleven! - years ago so I might not be remembering correctly.

--
Charlene charlene...@gmail.com

Charlene

May 15, 2007, 1:24:24 AM5/15/07
It wouldn't likely be French from France, I think, but it might be
French from Canada. Or it simply might not have been a proper zine per
se. I know some of the TOS people up here in the 70s just handed
around stories - there were no zines proper for years.

--
Charlene charlene...@gmail.com

cjji...@peoplepc.com

May 15, 2007, 1:48:05 AM5/15/07
Oh! And CHIPs! He loved the Eric Estrada in tight breeches stradling the copcycle!

I think he learned Spanish just so he could watch the soap he was in about the two women in a blouse or whatever the damn thing was called.

---Jen
I'm sure he wrote more than a few of those, but he was also a pretty busy musician. He traveled throughout Europe a lot so I imagine several of the zines he published in were from England, France, and Eastern Europe.

He was also into Starsky and Hutch and TJ Hooker. He talked about Happy Days a lot. He had a thing for Mouth and Potsy.

I don't like thinking about it much.

---Jen