from the archives

Professor

Dec 31, 2018, 12:50:59 PM12/31/18
Past Canuck games played on New Years Eve.
Check out 1995 for a much younger John Shorthouse on Sportspage.
That could well have been me rolling Tapes.

Professor

Kenji

Jan 2, 2019, 5:01:29 PM1/2/19
You're ex-media? Me too!

Professor

Jan 3, 2019, 4:40:35 PM1/3/19
20 years of videotape - rolling, recording, editing at CKVU.

Professor

Kenji

Jan 3, 2019, 6:02:03 PM1/3/19
Nice legacy. I miss Yulin' With The Page. That was quite the show.

Spiral

Jan 6, 2019, 7:39:17 AM1/6/19
Me too. I still volunteer at the local CC doing everything from floor
directing to last-second editing to running the teleprompter (because the
students can't work a knob or read well--your choice) for house-produced
feature shows.

Cameraman asked me to work a twenty-foot boom once for a pull-back at the
end of the show, something to roll credits over. As I tilted this giant
see-saw monstrosity up to the ceiling, I ended up cracking the camera on
one of the lights. Oh well, at least it wasn't a Sony Red 4k.

One of the fun things we came up with was changing a film-review show
from the standard "single-host reading a prompter" to a pair of hosts who
improvised their comments. We just put bulleted notes on the prompter and
they talked between themselves. Their dynamic worked really well, which
is a matter of luck. The only trouble was keeping them within time
constraints, I think mostly because they were having so much fun. Worked
really well.

Small world. Let's see AI robots do that.