Ahhh sugar sugar, you are my candy girl.........

foamy

Oct 24, 2014, 8:29:33 PM10/24/14
I'm a little teapot
short and stout
here is my handle
here is my sp..

Fuck, I'm a sugar bowl.

Two-handle Jim, why me, why me, why me ?

So, I got xp installed with VB, and the bugger runs on top of my existing
destop. I can piss around with the resolution, but anything fairly high means
I have to scroll down to see the bottom of the xp screen. I almost had an
orgasm when it was installing, and then.......that bloody 7 keeps peeking
out and flacidating me.

So I'm back to square 1.

I have:

-- the xp disc
-- nlite
-- service pack 3 .iso

So could I get a re-primer on blowin' out 7 and ending up with just xp, before
I'm driven to taking up BINGO ?

Thanks
2-HJ

Dutch

Oct 24, 2014, 11:42:47 PM10/24/14
You want W7 GONZO? If you have an external HD I'd do complete a system
backup image first, but otherwise, roll the dice and...

Make your XP Sp3 disk with nLite per previous instructions

Reboot into your BIOS and from an advanced menu select disk controller
mode IDE not AHCI.

Insert your XP Sp3 cd and reboot into setup. Go into advanced
partitioning mode and blow out all existing partitions

Install XP making a partition any size you want, the whole HD I guess.

If you get hooped call me and I'll pick it up and fix it. 6 0 4 8 7 9 8
1 5 9

foamy

Oct 25, 2014, 11:42:28 AM10/25/14
Dutch wrote:

>You want W7 GONZO?

Yep, I want to Hunter S. Thompson it !

If you have an external HD I'd do complete a system
>backup image first, but otherwise, roll the dice and...

I'm good, I have nothing of any import on it. If worse comes to worst,
all it takes a bit of time to stick 7 back in and get all the stuff I use.
I used to routinely blow out everything and start fresh, lean and mean it,
and never have any probs or tons of junk hangin' around.

>Make your XP Sp3 disk with nLite per previous instructions
>Reboot into your BIOS and from an advanced menu select disk controller
>mode IDE not AHCI.
>Insert your XP Sp3 cd and reboot into setup. Go into advanced
>partitioning mode and blow out all existing partitions
>Install XP making a partition any size you want, the whole HD I guess.

Thanks Dutch, I think I have the process down pat, but what I really need help
with is:

-- how to find the exact driver[s] I need to slipsstream into the disc I will
create.

-- even after hours of youtube and reading, I still lack the basic under-
standing of the functions of what does what and why I have to do it.
This task is like math, unless you have a solid foundation and
understanding of the fundamentals, you're stroking yourself when you
try to up-ramp the complexity.

Let's see if I'm close. I start off with a new motherboard and a harddrive
which I assume is blank ? I install an OS, and it puts the drivers required
onto the HDD ?, which will allow the HDD to communicate with the mother-
board ? But xp, doesn't have the right drivers to stick on the new HDD, and
the new SATA [?] motherboard says piddle off, I don't understand you. So
the plan Stan, is to get the right drivers to open up the communications ?
Do these new drivers actually go on the HDD or do they get stuck in that
hidden files partition which the computer uses to boot up ?

-- If I think I have everything all set to roll, I go to install with the new
new disc, keep the win7 partition, and create a new partition for xp,
and oops, I have the wrong drivers, and it won't install, will I still have
win7 available to use to try to get the correct drivers ?

-- assuming I do have the right drivers and winxp will install, I could then
format everything, blow out 7 period, and do a fresh install of xp ?
Nothing would be dependant upon 7 for this to suceed ? If so, I assume
I could repeat this process and hope for blind squirrel moment ?

Jim

Dutch

Oct 25, 2014, 3:47:08 PM10/25/14
bomb...@wahs.ac (foamy) wrote:
> Dutch wrote:
>
>> You want W7 GONZO?
>
> Yep, I want to Hunter S. Thompson it !
>
> If you have an external HD I'd do complete a system
>> backup image first, but otherwise, roll the dice and...
>
> I'm good, I have nothing of any import on it. If worse comes to worst,
> all it takes a bit of time to stick 7 back in and get all the stuff I use.
> I used to routinely blow out everything and start fresh, lean and mean it,
> and never have any probs or tons of junk hangin' around.
>
>> Make your XP Sp3 disk with nLite per previous instructions
>> Reboot into your BIOS and from an advanced menu select disk controller
>> mode IDE not AHCI.
>> Insert your XP Sp3 cd and reboot into setup. Go into advanced
>> partitioning mode and blow out all existing partitions
>> Install XP making a partition any size you want, the whole HD I guess.
>
> Thanks Dutch, I think I have the process down pat, but what I really need help
> with is:
>
> -- how to find the exact driver[s] I need to slipsstream into the disc I will
> create.

All you need is SP3 (prolly even SP2 will work) provided you install XP
with the disk controllers set in the BIOS to Legacy (IDE) Mode, not
AHCI. As far as I can tell all this stuff on the internet about XP not
recognizing SATA hard drives is misguided, or people are trying to
install original XP without service packs.

> -- even after hours of youtube and reading, I still lack the basic under-
> standing of the functions of what does what and why I have to do it.
> This task is like math, unless you have a solid foundation and
> understanding of the fundamentals, you're stroking yourself when you
> try to up-ramp the complexity.
>
> Let's see if I'm close. I start off with a new motherboard and a harddrive
> which I assume is blank ? I install an OS, and it puts the drivers required
> onto the HDD ?, which will allow the HDD to communicate with the mother-
> board ? But xp, doesn't have the right drivers to stick on the new HDD, and
> the new SATA [?] motherboard says piddle off, I don't understand you. So
> the plan Stan, is to get the right drivers to open up the communications ?
> Do these new drivers actually go on the HDD or do they get stuck in that
> hidden files partition which the computer uses to boot up ?

XP SP3 should recognize your SATA hard drive without a problem (in IDE
mode), the necessary drivers are built in.

> -- If I think I have everything all set to roll, I go to install with the new
> new disc, keep the win7 partition, and create a new partition for xp,

In order to preserve Windows 7 and install XP you would need to create
some free space. You could use the partition shrink method you
discovered, or Bootit. Squeeze off 1OO GB, then when you run setup
select that free space to install XP.

> and oops, I have the wrong drivers, and it won't install, will I still have
> win7 available to use to try to get the correct drivers ?

Here's where it gets techy. XP Setup will rewrite the main boot sector
on the hard drive so although W7 is still there, it will not boot. It
can be repaired using a Windows 7 Repair Disk which you would make in
advance
http://windows.microsoft.com/en-ca/windows7/create-a-system-repair-disc
or use the W7 Setup DVD if you have it. Here's an article on the
different methods http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/kb/article.php?id=556

This is why I suggested Bootit, it makes all this a lot easier.

> -- assuming I do have the right drivers and winxp will install, I could then
> format everything, blow out 7 period, and do a fresh install of xp ?
> Nothing would be dependant upon 7 for this to suceed ? If so, I assume
> I could repeat this process and hope for blind squirrel moment ?

Yes, but I thought you ordered a new game that required W7??

What is wrong with Windows 7 IYO anyway? I can hardly tell the
difference with XP. I hate the local disk Search function, but I just
use a free 3rd party one..

foamy

Oct 25, 2014, 5:47:05 PM10/25/14
Dutch wrote:

>All you need is SP3 (prolly even SP2 will work) provided you install XP
>with the disk controllers set in the BIOS to Legacy (IDE) Mode, not
>AHCI. As far as I can tell all this stuff on the internet about XP not
>recognizing SATA hard drives is misguided, or people are trying to
>install original XP without service packs.

Does this guy have it right and confirms what you are saying ?

http://tinyurl.com/pgmgesy

If just setting it to IDE and having sp3 [ maybe 2 ] will work, it's heaven.
I recall you mentioned sp3 and I went and got it, but I didn't make the
connection between it and the installation.

In my bios I have:

SATA Mode Selection --and it's now set at IDE.

Is this the only changes to make to the bios I need to do ?
[ what should be the boot sequence, 1st from the cd/dvd drive ? ]

Well what the hell, let's see if my xp disc with sp2 works.

What I was thinking, was:

-- make a disc with sp3 slipstreamed on it.
-- have IDE set in bios
-- try installing from my sp2 disc, format the whole shmear.

Now if this doesnt work, will re-booting with my win7 disc in allow
me to install 7 to try again with the sp3 disc ? Or would I somehow
have to get the bios back to SATA ? Or I could try the sp3 disc ?

>> -- assuming I do have the right drivers and winxp will install, I could then
>> format everything, blow out 7 period, and do a fresh install of xp ?
>> Nothing would be dependant upon 7 for this to suceed ? If so, I assume
>> I could repeat this process and hope for blind squirrel moment ?
>
>Yes, but I thought you ordered a new game that required W7??

Yep I did, but it sucks the big one. Sid Meier should be ashamed of himself
for allowing his name or CIV to be associated with what I think is a pos
and stains the CIV legacy. Just pissed 50 bucks down the drain for an hours
*cough* play.

>What is wrong with Windows 7 IYO anyway? I can hardly tell the
>difference with XP. I hate the local disk Search function, but I just
>use a free 3rd party one..

I think I forgot to thank you for that search Everything app you gave me. That
works a hell of a lot better than the native 7.

I have 7 _looking_ like xp, but what I love about xp, is I guess in part
because of it's age, many individuals have made beautiful apps to
customize and personalize and blow to smithereens all the unwanted
stuff Bill loves to shove down your throat. In addition, xp is way more
intuitive to use and find what you want to do free of smarmy smirking
bells and whistles hoops to jump through included in 7 simply to justify
the programmers actually having a job.

7 is like buying a car and the salesman bitching constantly in your ear
telling you how you have to drive it. I bought it, it's mine, now bugger off
and let me do what I want.

Jim

Dutch

Oct 25, 2014, 6:37:42 PM10/25/14
bomb...@wahs.ac (foamy) wrote:
> Dutch wrote:
>
>> All you need is SP3 (prolly even SP2 will work) provided you install XP
>> with the disk controllers set in the BIOS to Legacy (IDE) Mode, not
>> AHCI. As far as I can tell all this stuff on the internet about XP not
>> recognizing SATA hard drives is misguided, or people are trying to
>> install original XP without service packs.
>
> Does this guy have it right and confirms what you are saying ?
>
> http://tinyurl.com/pgmgesy
>
> If just setting it to IDE and having sp3 [ maybe 2 ] will work, it's heaven.
> I recall you mentioned sp3 and I went and got it, but I didn't make the
> connection between it and the installation.

Yes, he confirms what I have been told by experts I trust. SP3 for XP
included IDE SATA support.

My only concern is WD AFD, but I think that might be moot
http://support.wdc.com/product/downloadsw.asp?sid=128

If that is a problem you might need to let me fiddle with it, or take to
a shop like Generic on Broadway. I've never used that align tool, but it
doesn't look that difficult.

> In my bios I have:
>
> SATA Mode Selection --and it's now set at IDE.

taDA!

> Is this the only changes to make to the bios I need to do ?
> [ what should be the boot sequence, 1st from the cd/dvd drive ? ]

Yes, cd drive first.

> Well what the hell, let's see if my xp disc with sp2 works.
>
> What I was thinking, was:
>
> -- make a disc with sp3 slipstreamed on it.
> -- have IDE set in bios
> -- try installing from my sp2 disc, format the whole shmear.

OK

> Now if this doesnt work, will re-booting with my win7 disc in allow
> me to install 7 to try again with the sp3 disc ? Or would I somehow
> have to get the bios back to SATA ? Or I could try the sp3 disc ?

You can do all of the above, try SP2 if you like, if that fails try SP3
(why not do SP3 right away?) and if that fails install W7 if you like,
IDE or AHCI should work in that case.

foamy

Oct 25, 2014, 6:59:44 PM10/25/14
Dutch wrote:

>Yes, he confirms what I have been told by experts I trust. SP3 for XP
>included IDE SATA support.
>
>My only concern is WD AFD, but I think that might be moot
>http://support.wdc.com/product/downloadsw.asp?sid=128

Oh Oh. What's the scoop on this Dutch ?

Jim

Dutch

Oct 25, 2014, 11:05:17 PM10/25/14
I'm hoping it's nothing to worry about, as long as the controllers are
in IDE mode, but it's something new I haven't seen before, new by
Western Digital. If it screws you up then there's probably no way I can
remotely lead you through sorting it out. There's a bootable cd you can
make there, "WD Align Media Builder" you could make it in advance as a
precaution. I think it's likely just a false alarm.