Uni watch: Wild vs. Vancouver

Ryan Cousineau

Nov 17, 2007, 2:24:06 AM11/17/07
So, too bad the Wild played in their whites (I was about to say "road
whites," but it's clear that neither uniform now has a formal standard
use, and after thinking about it, I've decided I don't really care),
because the home red version is one of the nicest uniforms in hockey.
The detailing is nice, the logo is nice, and it doesn't have any obvious
failings like the now-departed NY Rangers' "diaper" effect.

The thing I noticed about the Canucks' blue uniform tonight? Holy moly
does that thing have a lot of stripes. Each one is individually just
fine (unlike the notorious Edmonton elbow pads), but with elbow stripes,
waist stripe, sock stripes, and vertical stripes on the shorts, there's
a big white-trimmed green stripe in just about every possible location
on that uniform.

It's a lot of stripes!

The effect seems to be largely caused by the relative uniformity of the
stripes. The Wild whites have waist, leg, and pants stripes, (plus the
long trim striping across the shoulders and down the arms between the
contrasting panels), but each stripe is a different weight or uses a
different pattern of the three main uni colors.

If you're wondering, the stripes are still there on Vancouver's white
uni, but the arm stripes are de-emphasized because they abut the blue
forearms, which sort of makes those stripes look a bit like a cuff on
the shirt rather than a mid-sleeve stripe.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@sfu.ca http://www.wiredcola.com/
"My scenarios may give the impression I could be an excellent crook.

Yammer

Nov 17, 2007, 12:44:02 PM11/17/07
On Nov 16, 11:24 pm, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@sfu.ca> wrote:

> The thing I noticed about the Canucks' blue uniform tonight? Holy moly
> does that thing have a lot of stripes. Each one is individually just
> fine (unlike the notorious Edmonton elbow pads), but with elbow stripes,
> waist stripe, sock stripes, and vertical stripes on the shorts, there's
> a big white-trimmed green stripe in just about every possible location
> on that uniform.
>
> It's a lot of stripes!

It is. I think that the large amount of stripes *is* an intentional
design element, considering that Edmonton's road jersey seems
noticably unstripey.

Stripeyness, if that is a word, is an established jersey feature. I
can't find a pic of the Gretzky travelling roadshow uni inspired by
Detroit's old-time sweater, but I remember thinking that they looked
like candy canes.

ss

Nov 17, 2007, 2:15:09 PM11/17/07
> Stripeyness, if that is a word, is an established jersey feature. I
> can't find a pic of the Gretzky travelling roadshow uni inspired by
> Detroit's old-time sweater, but I remember thinking that they looked
> like candy canes.

Stripyness indeed

http://cgi.ebay.com/WAYNE-GRETZKY-LTD-NINETY-NINE-CCM-TOUR-JERSEY-UDA-
COA_W0QQitemZ290181075717QQihZ019QQcategoryZ27284QQcmdZViewItem

or
http://tinyurl.com/2nf278

400 bucks? well, at least it's USD$ :-)

ss

Ryan Cousineau

Nov 17, 2007, 7:49:42 PM11/17/07
In article <Xns99EB8008FD6DEss...@199.185.223.74>,
ss <s...@noneofyourbuiness.net> wrote:

> > Stripeyness, if that is a word, is an established jersey feature. I
> > can't find a pic of the Gretzky travelling roadshow uni inspired by
> > Detroit's old-time sweater, but I remember thinking that they looked
> > like candy canes.

Maybe so. I think they're nothing to emulate. I'd have to see the socks
and pants.

But with the Canucks uni, I really think it's too busy. But then, I
still mildly object to trying to pop "VANCOUVER" up there above the
logo. That, plus the shoulder patches, plus the stripes, equal a very
busy design.

It brings to mind the infamous "Microsoft redesigns the iPod package"
video:

"Stars and snipes"...

> Stripyness indeed
>
> http://cgi.ebay.com/WAYNE-GRETZKY-LTD-NINETY-NINE-CCM-TOUR-JERSEY-UDA-
> COA_W0QQitemZ290181075717QQihZ019QQcategoryZ27284QQcmdZViewItem
>
> or
> http://tinyurl.com/2nf278
>
> 400 bucks? well, at least it's USD$ :-)
>
> ss

Stars and stripes! Forever?

But back to the stripes, I don't hate the new uni, but it's no Wild
color jersey. I also think that I didn't notice it before because you
don't really get the effect just looking at the jersey; it's when it's
rolled in with the socks and pants that the effect becomes clear to me.