1998 NHL Draft opinions

no spam

Apr 18, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/18/98

With all the good hockey minds in this ng, who would be your top 5 or
top 10 CHL'ers? and Who would you like to see the Leafs take? or what
position would you like to see them take in the 1st round?

User877845

Apr 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/19/98

The Leafs will probably be out of the running
for Abid, Fata, Malhotra, Biron because of their stupidity
(winning NOW when the games are meaningless, when
there are about 5 teams within 4 or 5 points of them ...)
but maybe they can grab a pure scorer like Jonathan Cheechoo.
And there's always the possibility of a player's stock falling -- like Cleary
did. I see Henrich falling a spot or two, but
there might be others lower down who slip into position
for the Leafs to grab them. Also, if a couple of Europeans
are selected before them, the Leafs get a better shot at
North Americans who are bumped up a couple of slots.

Here's the Top 10 (but only includes N.A. hockey players):

 1. Vincent Lecavalier, Rimouski, April 21, 1980, 6'4, 180, C, L.
 2. David Legwand, Plymouth, Aug. 17, 1980, 6'1, 175, C, L.
 3. Michael Henrich, Barrie, March 4, 1980, 6'2, 206, RW, R.
 4. Mathieu Biron, Shawinigan, April 29, 1980, 6'6, 212, D, R.
 5. Bryan Allen, Oshawa, Aug. 21, 1980, 6'4, 208, D, L.
 6. Manny Malhotra, Guelph, May 18, 1980, 6'1, 210, C, L.
 7. Rico Fata, London, Feb. 12, 1980, 5'11, 202, C, L.
 8. Ramzi Abid, Chicoutimi, March 24, 1980, 6'2, 195, LW, L.
 9. Martin Skoula, Barrie, Oct. 28, 1979, 6'2, 195, D, L.
 10. Brad Stuart, Regina, Nov. 6, 1979, 6'2, 215, D, L.

My guess is that the Leafs will be picking at around no.10,
depending how the final games of the year turn out.

User877845

Apr 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/19/98

I think the Leafs can finish no 'better' than 7th last place,
and can finish as low as 6th last if they lose to Vancouver tonight.
If we finish 6th last that means Toronto picks 7th overall (since Nashville
gets a pick).

Lilian Campbell

Apr 20, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/20/98

I hope they get Manny Malhotra, Rico Fata(great speed), or Michael
Henrich.

Alan

CD-R

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98

I think that the leafs should take Manny Maholtra. He is by far in my
opinion the best OVERALL Draft choice... Look at the World Jrs. LeCavailler
Missed 2!!!! Breakaways in 1 period!! I went to the Top 40 Prospects game
and Lecaviller missed another Break Away there too.. Manny Maholtra Is
right now in the OHL Finals and has carried his team on his shoulders.
Legwand Lost to him... Manny is also a smart Kid!! He is GREAT UNDER
PRESURE!!!! He is amazing at what he doe and doesn't get Penalties!!

I have proved my point!!!!
Thanx!
Stu Watts

User877845 <user8...@aol.com> wrote in article
<199804191446...@ladder03.news.aol.com>...
: I think the Leafs can finish no 'better' than 7th last place,

:

User877845

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98

I guess it's no surprise but our incompetent Leaf
scouts project Malhotra "as a 3rd line checker."

Maybe they'll trade our first rounder for an 8th rounder.

I think Manny could be a Shanny. Really.

Then again, maybe the Leafs are just trying to
deflect attention from Manny and put him down (good luck!)
so they can grab him at their likely bad draft position.

But it won't matter unless the Leafs can move
up to 4th by winning the draft lottery.

At the position the Leafs pick, if it's indeed 8th place
they may as well just choose the best player at whatever
position.

Please don't come back next year: Schneider (hope he signs with a team for
inflated dollars and nets us a few prospects), Sullivan, Korolev, Wolanin,
Berezin, Prochazka.

Strong odds to join Leafs next year: Daniil Markov (for sure he will be
there), Mark Deyell (our 2nd or 3rd line playmaker with Sullivan gone), Jeff
Ware, Cousineau (tell me he couldn't have won more games than overpaid Healy -
how many was what, 5 games?), Jason Podollan, Adams (solid player - he's been
getting 800 g's to play in St. John's, so he'll either play with the Leafs or
be moved), Bohonos (good skills, much better than Convery).

A possible shot at Leafs next year: 6'5 Marek Posmyk (he looks good! he's
fast for a big guy and strong, and a +13), Konstantin Kalmikov, Vladimir
Antipov (one of the fastest players outside the NHL but rather small at 5'6),

Good shot at Leafs in 2: Jeff Farkas (had a great year made it to US College
Final).

Good shot at Leafs in 3 years: Peter Cava (had a great year, 1.5 pts a game
avg - probably needs 3 years), Adam Mair (tough, nearly a pt a game pace),
Brandon Sugden (a good season for Barrie on defense with .5 pts a game, and
tough, averaging nearly 5 pims a game), Eric Gooldy (tough, and a +10), Jason
Sessa (good speed, probably needs 3 years).

if* we signed Francis and Duchesne/Macinnis:

Modin-Sundin-Bohonos
Clark-Francis-Derek King
Podollan-Deyell-Domi
Warriner-Hendrickson-Kris King

Duchesne/Macinnis-Markov
Jason Smith-Yushkevich
Jeff Ware-Sylvain Cote
Wolanin (?)-Scheider(?)

a couple of years
(our FA's are gone,
but have bought time for
prospects):

Modin-Sundin-Bohonos
Podollan-Deyell-D.King
Domi-Adams-Kalmikov
Hendrickson-Farkas-Kris King

Schneider(?)-Yushkevich
Jeff Ware-Jason Smith
Sylvain Cote-Posmyk
DJ Smith

Private Hudson

Apr 21, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/21/98

> Modin-Sundin-Bohonos
> Clark-Francis-Derek King
> Podollan-Deyell-Domi
> Warriner-Hendrickson-Kris King
>
> Duchesne/Macinnis-Markov
> Jason Smith-Yushkevich
> Jeff Ware-Sylvain Cote
> Wolanin (?)-Scheider(?)

I don't think that Toronto should give up on Mike Johnson just yet. You
seem to have since he is not on you rlineup at all.

User877845

Apr 24, 1998, 3:00:00 AM4/24/98

yup, sorry ... i forgot Johnson and McAuley! doh!

what i did is drop Clark (and put McAuley
in a more comfortable position as a 4th line checker) --
we can use part of Wendel's 2 million
salary to pay Francis:

Modin-Sundin-Bohonos
Derek King-Francis-Johnson
Podollan-Deyell-Domi
Warriner-McAuley-Kris King

extra: Hendrickson

Duchesne/Macinnis-Markov
Jason Smith-Yushkevich
Jeff Ware-Sylvain Cote
Wolanin (?)-Scheider(?)

we can probably deal a couple of:
Berezin, Prochazka and Sullivan
to the Pens who love one way players
for some draft picks, at least it will
help build up some depth in the organization

finally, say no to FA Jyrkki Lumme! that guy makes
Todd Gill look like Robert Gordon Orr!!!!!