open house tomorrow

Hanspeter N

Oct 19, 2007, 6:23:26 PM10/19/07
Anyone headed to the open house at The Rock tomorrow?

The Viceroy of New Arenas

Oct 19, 2007, 6:41:39 PM10/19/07
On Oct 19, 6:23 pm, Hanspeter N <hnieder13_D...@yahoo.comDOTinvalid>
wrote:

> Anyone headed to the open house at The Rock tomorrow?

Saturday? Is this a different open house than the one sent to season
ticket holders for Sunday 12n-3p?

peterpuck16w

Oct 19, 2007, 10:39:10 PM10/19/07
On Oct 19, 6:41 pm, The Viceroy of New Arenas

Mine is Sunday as well.

The Viceroy of New Arenas

Oct 19, 2007, 11:00:50 PM10/19/07

There's an "open concert" of locals for locals at 330pm - 8000 tickets
given away at the door - maybe that's the open house Mr. Nieder is
referring to?

Fwiw....my hope is to be there Sunday right around 12. I haven't
reached the final decision with my wardrobe designer - but chances are
I'll be in blue jeans with a blue t-shirt sporting Japanese caligraphy
for "dream" where the pocket typically would be. (My custom-designed
"Viceroy and The Rock. Perfect Together" glitter muscle shirt got a
bit shredded in that cat fight with Neil's Mother-In-Law recently at
Turtleback. ...Wow talk aboot some sharp fingernails.)

Anyway if ya see me, come up and say hey.

peterpuck16w

Oct 19, 2007, 11:14:27 PM10/19/07
On Oct 19, 11:00 pm, The Viceroy of New Arenas

A blue shirt?? :-)
Ok, will do.

Hanspeter N

Oct 20, 2007, 7:15:58 AM10/20/07
The Viceroy of New Arenas <deepzen...@gmail.com> wrote on Fri 19 Oct
2007 06:41:39p:

For us peons that can't afford season tickets :)
<http://www.prucenter.com/default.asp?id=87&objId=319>

The Viceroy of New Arenas

Oct 20, 2007, 10:53:31 AM10/20/07
On Oct 20, 7:15 am, Hanspeter N <hnieder13_D...@yahoo.comDOTinvalid>
wrote:
> The Viceroy of New Arenas <deepzenshia...@gmail.com> wrote on Fri 19 Oct

Can't afford season tickets? Bollacks I say! Even my chauffeur can
afford them. And I only pay him a shilling, which goes a long way
with today's exchange rate. :-)

The Viceroy of New Arenas

Oct 20, 2007, 11:05:38 AM10/20/07

Hey, consider last Wednesday my wardrobe designer had me in a leopard
print leotard for my day in New York. And yes I was in the audience
of the Daily Show, garnering even more attention than Jon Stewart I
might add. People, it's not me you came to see! .....though I am
flattered.

Anyways, I told my wardrobe designer we needed to tone it down a bit,
go with the "average guy" look so I could blend in a bit. Not steal
the stage from others.

So while blue isn't my first choice, obviously - I feel she's moving
in the right direction. Making an ernest effort.

peterpuck16w

Oct 20, 2007, 12:10:03 PM10/20/07
On Oct 20, 11:05 am, The Viceroy of New Arenas
> in the right direction. Making an ernest effort.- Hide quoted text -

Just remember, no Izod shirts...... :-)

Hanspeter N

Oct 20, 2007, 9:07:20 PM10/20/07
Well, the arena is there. It's not ready yet, and they were still
doing some construction on the inside (the Ice Lounge at least from
what I could tell), although they only let us on about 1/3rd of the
grand concourse (sec 15-22 more or less). The Fire Ice looks to be
decent with some weird pod like booths and the arena seats are quite
comfortable (couldn't see how much wider the club seats are). I also
hope they keep their dogs at $2 for a Nathan's like they were today,
but I seriously doubt that will happen. The entrance cylinders are
neat, and the grand concourse is wide and roomy for the most part.
There are a bunch of 3'x3' columns packed too close together near one
of the food courts, which doesn't affect mobility that much but does
impact sight lines. My main complaint about it right now is that it's
really antiseptic w/out much atmosphere and the ceiling is low in some
places so it looks more closed in, unlike the CAA concourse that was
high all the way around. The atmosphere might change during a game
when there's more people around, plus vendors and stuff. The suites,
mezzanine and balconies were closed, and they looked to be mostly
complete, but some areas were still visibly getting their finishing
touches. Also, for those interested, you can get great shots of all
sorts of airplanes on final approach to EWR.

The arena will be useable by opening night, but I seriously doubt it
will be finished (maybe on the inside, definitely not on the outside)
in a week. The immediate neighborhood still needs lots of work, both
in tearing down older stuff and in cleaning up construction leftovers.
This is especially noticeable on Edison Place (the N side of the
arena). And that cute little triangle park that all the brochures and
models have leading from Penn Station to the arena is non-existent. In
its place is an old parking lot and it doesn't look like they've even
begun to break ground on the landscaping for it. Two guys were using a
chalk string on the ground, but I couldn't tell if it was marking where
ground would be broken. The area around Lafayette (S side) and Broad
(W side) have been mostly cleared up and the final landscaping was
being put in, although there's still quite some work left to really
prettify it.

Finally, public transportation is going to need some major help to deal
with 15-17k people after a game. I took the PATH in which was painless
until I arrived at Penn Station. There were absolutely no signs
poiting to the arena, although the small maps at the station corners
did list it (but didn't say "You are here!" to help get your bearings).
Once outside, you can see the arena behind the parking garage, so it's
easy from there (minus the out of sync crossing lights). PATH on the
way home was a joke. All the signs as you enter the station from the
arena pointed to use track 5 for PATH, but once there, there were no
trains. Of course, this is only figured out after about 20 people go
through the turnstiles and then the turnstiles get turned off and
someone who didn't make it through calls the info line and they are
told to go to track 1. So mad rush to track 1, where only one of 6
single ride ticket machines is accepting bills: 2 were out of order,
and the other 3 just spit the bills back out (even new singles) and
forget about refunds for those of us that went into track 5. NJ
transit trains seemed to be working OK from what I could tell, but it's
$4 to NY versus $1.50 on PATH, so the choice is pretty simple if you're
heading that way (unless PATH keeps sucking). Those going back to the
'burbs on the trains should do fine. Crowds might be a little
troublesome if they keep running them every 15-30 minutes like in the
current schedule. The BART in Oakland ran trains every 5 minutes after
A's or Raiders' games let out and that worked perfectly, so they really
should make them be every 10 minutes here for at least 30-40 minutes
after a game.

So that's the story. I'll try to put some pictures up later to show
how things look.

The Viceroy of New Arenas

Oct 20, 2007, 9:37:10 PM10/20/07
On Oct 20, 9:07 pm, Hanspeter N <hnieder13_D...@yahoo.comDOTinvalid>
wrote:

Nice report, Hanspeter. Hope you hang out here awhile. Lots of
good folks...as well as the occasional stray troll :-)

peterpuck16w

Oct 21, 2007, 12:23:25 AM10/21/07
On Oct 20, 9:07 pm, Hanspeter N <hnieder13_D...@yahoo.comDOTinvalid>
wrote:

Thanks for the update...........P

Hanspeter N

Oct 21, 2007, 10:26:44 AM10/21/07
Gotta stop replying to my messages. The pictures from yesterday's open
house are now up.

<http://www.niederstrasser.org/photos/v/hanspeter/hockey/prudential_cente
r/>