Protected list after Drouin

Marty

Jun 15, 2017, 10:31:13 PM6/15/17
Stu Cowen had the exact same protected list as me, pre-Drouin trade. At
forward it was:

F: Brendan Gallagher, Alex Galchenyuk, Max Pacioretty, Andrew Shaw, Paul
Byron, Alex Radulov, Philip Danault

This was pretty simple. After those guys, no fear. Overpriced is still
semi-effective Plekanec (no risk) and 4th line/AHL fodder.

Now?

Maybe another trade is going to fix this, but if not, then?

Well, this is where the Radulov rubber hits the road. Is he willing to re-
sign? Surely a move like getting Drouin appeals to him as it helps the
team now. Still, the Hab's obviously need to sign him now or assume he'll
re-sign elsewhere. With an expansion draft, you can't just let him test
the waters and hope he comes back, because you can't be protecting a
player who walks away a couple of weeks later.

Well, actually, there is a possible alternative. The Hab's and him agree
to a contract verbally, expose him, and let him potentially be picked, but
know they will re-sign him later. Lot of trust involved in that. Extremely
unlikely.

OK. So, let's assume they can't sign him, there is no side agreement. You
expose him and move on. I guess. That's it.

Or, let's assume the alternative scenario. They protect Radulov. The deals
getting done. Who on earth do you expose then? Shaw? That's my best guess.
Everyone else is sure to be picked. Shaw is good enough to be picked, but
at least his contract has a cost/benefit aspect to it. Still, I would
expect him to be picked, and a much greater loss than some of the other
fodder they could have exposed.

Marty

Gerry

Jun 16, 2017, 8:28:52 AM6/16/17
I think they will trade Galchenyuk, yes, but also just go ahead and leave Radulov exposed. So there's not really any issue with the expansion list. If they can't find the right trade for Galchenyuk in time, not a problem.

Lost in the shuffle of the big trade and signing, they also signed Hudon for 2 years and gave him 1-way in Year 2 of that new deal. I like that there's a little show of love there too. If they do trade Galchenyuk for a d-man, maybe they protect Hudon too.

l8r,
Gerry