Here's a juicy Therrien story for you

Mike

Feb 22, 2017, 9:45:03 PM2/22/17
http://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-nhl-head-coach-was-reportedly-fired-for-abusing-a-player

Normally I'd say take it with a grain of salt but given Therrien's past,
I say that there could be truth in this story and if there is, it calls
into question Bergevin's judgment for hiring him and sticking with him
as long as he did.

_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/_/

There are shocking reports of a locker room incident coming from
multiple sources.

While the firing of Montreal Canadiens head coach Michel Therrien came
as a huge shock to many the reason why he was fired may be the real
story here, and it's an ugly one.

According to a report from Max Truman of DLC on February 9th following a
game against the Philadelphia Flyers, Therrien unleashed a verbal tirade
on Habs forward Andrew Shaw, one that did not sit well with players.
That story was corroborated by Martin Leclerc of Radio-Canada this
morning when he stated that Therrien had gone far beyond just calling
out Shaw regarding the game of hockey and that it degenerated into
personal verbal attacks against the veteran forward.

It's at that point that one of the locker room leaders stood up and told
Therrien that enough was enough, and while this is only speculation,
Truman believes the unidentified player who spoke out was none other
than Carey Price. Price was rumored to have clashed with Therrien
although at the time there was no report that it could be related to
Shaw, and according to that rumor Therrien had told Price to content
himself with stopping pucks, Truman now believes that both incidents
took place on the same night.

We now know that less than a week later locker room leaders met with
general manager Marc Bergevin and Therrien was fired shortly after.
Needless to say this may drastically impact his ability to find another
job in the NHL.

Nyssa

Feb 23, 2017, 9:06:49 AM2/23/17
Mike wrote:

> http://www.hockeyfeed.com/nhl-news/breaking-nhl-head-coach-was-reportedly-
OOOoooooooooo! Juicy!

Yeah, that would have shaken up MB enough to finally kick
MT out of the Foxhole. When your world-class, A-number one
goalie gets involved, you sit up and take notice.

Considering everything I've heard/read about Price, it
must have been one hum-dinger of a beatdown for him to
step in, if the rumor is true. And I'd bet that it was
not the first beatdown that was witnessed by Price or
the rest of the team. Last straw and all of that.

If similar events *had* been occurring over the past
couple of years to other players, it's a wonder that
something like this hadn't happened sooner. Or maybe
it had, but not after a losing streak or to a less
experienced (younger) player in less public (to the
rest of the team) circumstances.

Yep, MT will be back in the TV analyst chair, at best.
His coaching career is toast unless some marginal European
team takes a chance on him.

Thanks for posting that!

Nyssa, who loves a juicy piece of gossip, especially when
it fits in with previous stories of bullying by MT

Gerry

Feb 23, 2017, 10:23:48 AM2/23/17
I think that's probably the key, that it would have been a last straw, and that the players have indeed probably seen lots of it before. Maybe the leaders didn't muster the courage to step in before, or felt like it was somewhat more acceptable when it happened to helpless youngsters or more annoying occupants of the room.

Good to know that Shaw's mistakes were at least recognized, however... we all thought he was bulletproof in Therrien's eyes! :)

I think we all already knew that Therrien wasn't likely to ever work for another team again, though.

l8r,
Gerry

Jim Bauch

Feb 23, 2017, 12:59:53 PM2/23/17
On Thursday, February 23, 2017 at 7:23:48 AM UTC-8, Gerry wrote:
> I think that's probably the key, that it would have been a last straw, and that the players have indeed probably seen lots of it before. Maybe the leaders didn't muster the courage to step in before, or felt like it was somewhat more acceptable when it happened to helpless youngsters or more annoying occupants of the room.
>
> Good to know that Shaw's mistakes were at least recognized, however... we all thought he was bulletproof in Therrien's eyes! :)

Further evidence that the real problem is Bergevin?

> I think we all already knew that Therrien wasn't likely to ever work for another team again, though.

Assuming Quebec doesn't get another team, I agree.

Jim

Nyssa

Feb 23, 2017, 1:29:24 PM2/23/17
You think MT would even be in the running with Patrick
Roy in waiting?

I'd love to see a team back in QC and I'll volunteer the
Hurricanes to be the team to relocate.

Nyssa, who really doesn't like NC at all