Bring Back DD!

Gerry

Aug 21, 2018, 5:36:04 PM8/21/18
I see that Desharnais had his KHL contract terminated. Whether they no longer wanted him or whether he asked for that and had better offers... no idea.

But at this point, really, what does it even matter anymore for the Habs? They don't have any centers. Bring DD back to pump up Pacioretty's stats!!!

Um, I guess that's how it worked? Or something.

:)

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Aug 21, 2018, 5:50:47 PM8/21/18
Combine the stats of Pleks, Daneult and DD you’d be lucky to get a total to match that of a run of the mill 2nd line forward.

Nyssa

Aug 21, 2018, 6:31:46 PM8/21/18
Yeah, that was just strange. Locomotiv signing him then un-signing
him.

I heard that he signed with another KHL team right after that,
but I missed which one it was.

Maybe DD decided he didn't like borscht?

Nyssa, who probably wouldn't like borscht either

Ed

Aug 22, 2018, 4:50:21 AM8/22/18
I heard that he was expecting to sign with another team but I don't think it's been announced.

Ed

Mike

Aug 22, 2018, 9:47:17 AM8/22/18
Kidding aside, its a better option than anything they have now and
doesn't that represent a real sad state of affairs?

Chuck

Aug 22, 2018, 10:07:16 AM8/22/18
Their best option is to embrace youth. They likely will still suck, but at least they’d be giving NHL experience to players who are still on the upside of their potential rather then wasting time on dumpster rescues, who even if they did surprise for a season (cost of a high lottery pick) along with not being productive again as they aged deeper into their 30s for the remainder of their contracts

Chuck

Aug 30, 2018, 3:19:09 PM8/30/18
Max Pac’s Agent is blaming Hab management for rumours about his client. Don’t know how you can assign blame in a sport, with a media that tends to spin rumours often based on the tiniest fragments of facts.

Chuck

Aug 30, 2018, 3:20:13 PM8/30/18

Gerry

Aug 31, 2018, 11:45:48 AM8/31/18
On Thursday, August 30, 2018 at 3:20:13 PM UTC-4, Chuck wrote:
> https://www.tsn.ca/pacioretty-s-agent-takes-aim-at-habs-over-sources-1.1165072

It sounds like a mess all around.

I could not blame Pacioretty for not signing a deal with LA if it was along the lines of the rumoured 6x$6M. Good for him to stand up for his rights and not feel like he had to agree to a deal that undersold him relative to his own evaluation of his market value. He's an impending UFA and as long as he has a solid season should be able to do better than that.

Firing his agent for springing it on him under the time constraints of the draft was also a strong move.

Hopefully for everybody's sake they get it sorted out, but I'm definitely thinking that in the end this is not going to go as well for the Habs as it could/should have.

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Aug 31, 2018, 3:15:55 PM8/31/18
I wouldn’t give him a significant raise. If he feels he needs to make up for taking less earlier in his career, too bad, should have had a better agent. If I was an owner, I don’t mind paying top dollar to a forward who is a gamebreaker, and rarely if ever invisible to impact on the game. Rather then a player who has never been much of a power forward as he was supposed to have been.

Mike

Sep 1, 2018, 8:07:38 AM9/1/18
On 2018-08-31 04:15 PM, Chuck wrote:
> I wouldn’t give him a significant raise. If he feels he needs to make up for taking less earlier in his career, too bad, should have had a better agent. If I was an owner, I don’t mind paying top dollar to a forward who is a gamebreaker, and rarely if ever invisible to impact on the game. Rather then a player who has never been much of a power forward as he was supposed to have been.

Got to agree with Chuck on this one. $6M a year for 6 years for
Pacioretty was a fair evaluation of what he brings to the team. Yes, he
may get 30-40 goals on a good team for the next 3-4 years but when that
goes away (as we found out last year) and he is producing roughly half
that number, he brings little else to the table. He won't hit anyone,
wont score key goals when it matters. Yes he plays a sound defensive
game and kills penalties but Plekanec does that as well as he does for a
little over $1M a year. We'd all be turning up our noses if they were
paying him $6M for 2 or 3 years for that. Now, maybe Pacs just didn't
want to live in LA - fair enough. He turned it down. He can probably get
that $6M from another team on the UFA market but if he has another
shitty year, I wouldn't count on it.

Gerry

Sep 1, 2018, 9:20:24 AM9/1/18
I hear the arguments about Pacioretty's latest season. But when Evander Kane can get $7M and James Van Riemsdyk can get $7.5M... the "prime" Pacioretty at least is better than they are.

Now, the cynical Habs fan is entirely within his or her rights to doubt that the "prime" Pacioretty is ever seen again, based on the most recent data.

But I wouldn't expect Pacioretty himself to feel that way. In his mind, he should be at $7M and above, and get to choose every perk he wants with a herd of suitors chasing after him. So if I was Pacioretty and my agent calls me up on draft and says you have 30 minutes to sign this 6x$6M contract with the Kings, I'd be turning it down too.

It could turn into a lose-lose situation. For Pacioretty, I imagine the best thing for him is a trade with no contract extension. If he did get on a roll with a new team, like Kane did, then the new contract will be a lot better than what he'll get playing another chaotic year on the tattered remnants of the Habs team. But of course for the Habs, they will get a better trade return if the acquiring team isn't looking at it as a pure rental trade.

So it could blow up in both their faces. I mean, it probably already has to some extent. But it could still get worse.

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Sep 1, 2018, 9:24:10 AM9/1/18
If Max Pac wants a big per season payday, he’ll have to go short on term. I do not see him as a type of star who will decline gradually through his 30s. The fall off will be sudden. No way does he get top dollar, term and NTC/NMC

Gerry

Sep 1, 2018, 10:40:06 AM9/1/18
On Saturday, September 1, 2018 at 9:24:10 AM UTC-4, Chuck wrote:
> If Max Pac wants a big per season payday, he’ll have to go short on term. I do not see him as a type of star who will decline gradually through his 30s. The fall off will be sudden. No way does he get top dollar, term and NTC/NMC

Yeah, but we're saying that today after the miserable 17-goal year. Nobody was saying that at the end of the previous year after he bagged 35 and was on that 6-year roll of being one of the top-5 or whatever goal-scorers in the entire league.

James Van Riemsdyk does nothing except stand in front of the net and tip pucks, and parlayed his 36 goals into a $7.5M deal. Teams want scorers, and if MaxPac has a rebound season, they'll be all over him. They won't be looking too hard at his full game. And one of the main strengths of his game is skating anyway, he's not a sluggish PF type. I don't see a good reason to think he should drop off a cliff. Not physically anyway. His dropoff has been more mental so far.

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Sep 1, 2018, 10:50:33 AM9/1/18
Remove his C, let him return to playing from the shadows. Five years 7 million. Unfortunately I think the only way to get rid of his C would be that he needs to move.

Gerry

Sep 1, 2018, 11:30:10 AM9/1/18
On Saturday, September 1, 2018 at 10:50:33 AM UTC-4, Chuck wrote:
> Remove his C, let him return to playing from the shadows. Five years 7 million. Unfortunately I think the only way to get rid of his C would be that he needs to move.

I think they just need to bite the bullet. Take whatever the best "rental" trade offer is that they have on the table. They aren't going to get a sign-and-trade scenario. Both sides need to move on.

For the Habs, if they can get a 1st and a decent prospect, that'd be the "home-run" atm. But if they can only get a 2nd right now instead of the 1st... well, I'm not sure that's going to be a lot less than what Pacioretty commands at the trade deadline if he sulks through another miserable season. And it will just be a big distraction.

I think if Bergevin is going to get a better return at this point, he's going to have to do it by taking on somebody else's cap dump in the deal. But they have the space and aren't going anywhere for a while, so again, that's probably another bullet worth biting.

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Sep 1, 2018, 12:12:13 PM9/1/18
Just wish they ‘d solve the biggest problem with Max Pac, that being when he is invisible so is his whole line..