Draft Lottery "win"

Gerry

Apr 28, 2018, 11:10:42 PM4/28/18
I wasn't able to follow it live, but I can imagine it might have been fun for anybody closely tuned into the weird NHL reveal plan. Jumping up a spot to #3 is a win. They don't get Dahlin, of course, but that much closer to their pick of the rest. #3... just like Galchenyuk! :)

l8r,
Gerry

Mike

Apr 29, 2018, 7:59:35 AM4/29/18
I was hoping they'd get top 3 and of course was hoping for #1 but
getting either Svechnikov or Zadina is a win for this team. Both are
gifted forwards who should end up being top 3 material, easily. And with
a new coaching staff (Juien excepted) I think it bodes well for this
piece that will be added. If the Canadiens can land that #1 centre, this
team will have a new look up front. Still leaves a gaping hole on D
(damn Dahlin would have filled that nicely) but perhaps a trade of
Pacioretty might do something on that front. The team still has a long
way to go and I do believe there are 2 or 3 more years of suffering
ahead of us yet but the first brick in the wall was added last night.

Nyssa

Apr 29, 2018, 8:21:25 AM4/29/18
You mean so they can draft a #3 talented stud then screw up
his development? A repeat of history?

The running joke on SiriusXM last week was that Montreal would
draft a top D then trade him.

I would expect no better from MB unfortunately.

Nyssa, who didn't watch the draft since she doesn't have
NBCSN but at least Patrick Sharp cleaned up well for NBC
analyst duties (and wasn't that one nice suit he wore that
certainly was NOT off-the-rack)

Chuck

Apr 29, 2018, 9:53:04 AM4/29/18
It’s not a deep draft for defensemen after you get past Dahlin so maybe Montreal could be tempted to trade the pick, if another team offers up a top pairing defenceman?

Nyssa

Apr 29, 2018, 10:12:28 AM4/29/18
Chuck wrote:

> It?s not a deep draft for defensemen after you get past
> Dahlin so maybe Montreal could be tempted to trade the
> pick, if another team offers up a top pairing defenceman?

Nah, if MB were to do something like this, we'd end up with
yet another 35 year old "solid veteran" instead of anyone
who could break into the top two D on any other team in the
NHL.

Watching Sergachev out there being a productive member of
the Lightning was depressing. Sure we got something in
return, but it didn't really fill the big hole that needed
filling and depleted our tiny stock of upcoming talented
Dmen.

I'll wait a year or two before I decide if we won
or lost that trade, but I just can't get over how MB keeps
drafting or trading for kids then drops them before they've
really had a chance to properly develop. (Although getting
any decent development out of the Habs' system is questionable.)

And in other news, the Best Anthem Singer in the Business
is no longer in Chicago. The new holder of that title is
Vegas's Cornell Johnson. Wow, what a voice and delivery!

Nyssa, who was cheering for the Golden Knights last night
and even though disappointed in the outcome really enjoyed
the entire game

Chuck

Apr 29, 2018, 10:29:54 AM4/29/18
MB would not be tempted by anything but a top defenseman who is 25 or younger. I doubt he would trade the pick unless they feel no one available when they pick 3rd is anywhere close to “NHL” ready.

Gerry

Apr 30, 2018, 6:32:41 PM4/30/18
Au contraire, I think it is widely regarded as a deep draft for defensemen... BUT!... the key thing really is that despite having quite a large number of potential top-10 draft candidates on D, they all have a wart or drawback or two, and historically it's never as easy to project how D will develop compared to forwards.

Bouchard, Hughes, Boqvist, Dobson, and Smith are all viable top-10 pick candidates on D. But they aren't the Dahlin or Doughty/Hedman calibre of prospects that really scream "guaranteed top pair". Any of them *could be* a top pair D when all is said and done. But the thing is, you might get Hanifin, or Juolevi, or Haydn Fleury, or Ryan Murray or Griffin Reinhart, etc, with a top-10 pick on D as well. Which could be decent NHL defensemen, or not, but it almost seems like you can get your Carlson, Burns, Subban etc other top D falling out from later picks as well.

D are just tougher to project aside from the absolutely top top top guys like Dahlin apparently is.

So you know with Svechnikov or Zadina, you almost have to get a top-6 winger. Maybe better, but forwards tend to look at 18 something more closely like what they project to look at down the road. I can see how it's easier for the Habs to pick a F here at #3. The current consensus seems to say Svechnikov is the slam dunk #2 guy, which means the Habs are most likely looking at Zadina as #3. Some outside suggestion that Tkachuk sneaks in as the more gritty/rugged/character/attitude version of a top-6 winger instead.

There's probably going to be a top D coming out of the group too. Just nobody is going to be as confident in figuring out who that is.

l8r,
Gerry

Jim Bauch

Apr 30, 2018, 6:45:18 PM4/30/18
On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 3:32:41 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote:
> Some outside suggestion that Tkachuk sneaks in as the more gritty

Bergevin's ears perk up...

>/rugged

... eyes light up...

>/character

... tongue now hanging out...

>/attitude version of a top-6 winger instead.

... draft card already filled out.

(I have no idea whether that would be a good or bad pick, mind you.)

Also, looks like MB and Keith Tkachuk briefly overlapped in St. Louis.

Jim

Gerry

Apr 30, 2018, 7:12:52 PM4/30/18
Even with all that stuff, I don't think I could muster much complaint if they went Tkachuk. He's 6'3/200, I don't see a downside. His brother is right in there in every game I see the Flames, he seems to have a lot of the same traits. That throwback Power Forward type is a rare commodity these days too.

Frankly if anything I could imagine them being less able to screw up the development on him vs. a more pure skill guy?

l8r,
Gerry

Gerry

Apr 30, 2018, 7:26:28 PM4/30/18
Of course the other "cool idea" I read earlier was to trade the #3 to Buffalo for Ryan O'Reilly. Because O'Reilly - traditionally a character/2way/yada throwback darling type of player was a little too honest in a post game interview and Buffalo has to trade him for that or something, and hey, they actually are building with youth unlike the mysterious Habs. Eichel and Dahlin, Mittlestadt has come up, they could add another top winger with #3, and maybe that looks great for their program.

And voila, the Habs get their #1 center who check all the foxhole boxes right out of the gate. Still has a solid 5 years on his deal too.

This idea "makes sense" to me!

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Apr 30, 2018, 9:29:52 PM4/30/18
My bet is they grab a forward, unless they trade for a center or defenseman. I doubt they will use the 3rd to grab a defenceman who requires seasoning. Past Dahlin, not a lot of size. I have no faith they can take an average sized dman with an offensive upside and not simplify his offensive game skills out of him

gorgo...@gmail.com

May 1, 2018, 3:20:45 PM5/1/18
Interesting for sure as I like O'Reilly. He has a great last name... lol. However, I'd rather they use the pick to get a gifted sniper like Zadina. Then they could package a combination of their other picks with say... MaxPac and snag O'Reilly. Buffalo may go for that. Now if they actually have a backroom info that Tavares would actually sign with the Habs then I may alter this idea but, failing that, I'd make a move for O'Reilly. For that matter, Tavares plus O'Reilly would instantly solve the Habs centre woes IMO.

gorgo...@gmail.com

May 1, 2018, 3:28:26 PM5/1/18
On Monday, April 30, 2018 at 10:29:52 PM UTC-3, Chuck wrote:
> My bet is they grab a forward, unless they trade for a center or defenseman. I doubt they will use the 3rd to grab a defenceman who requires seasoning. Past Dahlin, not a lot of size. I have no faith they can take an average sized dman with an offensive upside and not simplify his offensive game skills out of him

As for me, I'm high om Mete and Juulsen making the top 4, 5th at worst. Weber, Petry those 2 plus someone of the other of last years losers would make a reasonable top 5. Maybe not next year but by the year after. Maybe someone from the market too.

Gerry

May 1, 2018, 5:22:48 PM5/1/18
Honestly... who is on defense for Las Vegas now, or even really Boston or some other teams that did at least "ok" in making the playoffs? It shouldn't be *that* tall an order to have a back end + Carey Price that is at least passable. "Good enough". A healthy Weber, a pretty ok #3 guy in Weber, they have Mete and Juulsen coming, and I'll throw Reilly's name in the mix as a younger guy who didn't look too bad at the end. Of course, they're stuck with Alzner for a while, but the other journeymen could be jettisoned.

A lot does depend on Weber, though. Is he going to come back and still be a #1 caliber guy? When he goes, the rest of it kind of falls apart.

Anyway, getting back to those other teams, coaching has to be a big factor. The Habs have finally changed out JJ maybe a fresh look on that front will add something too.

l8r,
Gerry