Shipachyov Watch

Gerry

May 1, 2017, 12:20:44 PM5/1/17
So I see this today... not sure how seriously to take any rumours on any KHL imports... but I think the signing of this guy is a big ticket opportunity for some teams, and especially for the Habs...

https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/859066931520974850?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw&ref_url=http%3A%2F%2Fhfboards.hockeysfuture.com%2Fshowthread.php%3Ft%3D2224779

I don't know what "big offers" might be for an unproven 30-year old, but I'd actually risk Radulov-like money on him. The Habs should be an attractive venue for him, he's got a top-2 center spot on a golden platter, basically, he's not going to have to unseat anybody. On a 1-year "show me" type of deal, I'd go $5M+ on this guy. If the Habs aren't willing to do this, I wonder what their alternate plan is, or what they think their alternate options are?

I think it's all getting attention today, as with the official signing of Jerabek, due to KHL contracts expiry date being May 1st, btw. So it's crunch time of sorts for these things.

l8r,
Gerry

Habscout

May 1, 2017, 12:40:28 PM5/1/17
Let's hope this is a negotiating ploy by Shipachyov's agent. I'd love to see the Habs offer him a 1 year contract. Maybe the success of Radulov and the other Russian players on the team may help persuade him.

On a different note, I read a rumour that Kovalchuk is hoping to sign with one of the New York or Florida teams.

-habscout

Gerry

May 1, 2017, 12:56:37 PM5/1/17
His agent was Svoboda last year... if he still is, well, there ought to be some familiarity with Montreal (pros and cons!) that his agent can pass along, for sure.

One thing I worry about a little is whether they still see Shipachyov as a fit for the style they/Julien wants the team to play. He's not a "heavy" player, and as they seek to bolster their 1st/2nd-line center position, maybe he's not the type of player they are looking for?

He's sort of a "cerebral" playmaker, supposedly, not necessarily a fast or physically strong player. In part, that may elevate his risk factor, as playmaking in a KHL environment may be rather different than the NHL. To me, the Habs need skill, bottom line, and I wouldn't have any issues whatsoever taking on a player of Shipachyov's nature. He doesn't NEED to be big or fast. It would be bonus points if he was. But the Habs ought to be so desperate that they can't afford to seek an unattainable ideal player type. The team has openings, limited player assets to use to trade to fill those openings, and this player won't cost them anything but $$$ to add. I'd be all over signing him if I was in Bergevin's shoes.

That said, I also haven't scouted him, checked out his off-ice habits, etc, all that good stuff. Obviously the Habs will have done all their homework on that front. But here's the thing: per last year, they were all ready to sign him. All systems go. Aside from him being unable to get his release from St.Petersburg. What could have changed? The requisite background checks seem to have been passed last year. And the Habs' need has probably only become more acute if anything.

l8r,
Gerry

Mike

May 1, 2017, 5:28:25 PM5/1/17
Oh please let it be Florida if not Montreal. With the rumour that
Therrien is in line to get that job, the joy of watching Kovalchuk sit
his ass on the bench because he didn't play the right way would be
delightful.

Jim Bauch

May 1, 2017, 6:21:21 PM5/1/17
On Monday, May 1, 2017 at 2:28:25 PM UTC-7, Mike wrote:
> Oh please let it be Florida if not Montreal. With the rumour that
> Therrien is in line to get that job, the joy of watching Kovalchuk sit
> his ass on the bench because he didn't play the right way would be
> delightful.

He is? I hadn't heard that rumor.

I find it hard to believe that MT will get another NHL head coaching job. Pat Hickey employs a nice touch of understatement in this report:

-----
Dale Tallon, who has re-emerged as the boss of all things hockey with the dysfunctional franchise, has offered some guidelines on what he’s looking for and Therrien doesn’t fit the description.

“We’re looking for a creative guy, a contemporary guy that is a good communicator, a good teacher,” Tallon told Harvey Fialkov of the South Florida Sun-Sentinel. “(Someone) that can handle the younger player today and that can understand that they still have to be coached and mentored and taught, yet still have that passion to win.”
-------

Link: http://montrealgazette.com/sports/hockey/nhl/montreal-canadiens/former-habs-coach-michel-therrien-unlikely-to-land-panthers-job

Hickey goes on to write that a leading contender is Montreal native and former Hab Jim Montgomery. I wonder if he speaks French? It would be nice if, for a change, some other franchise gave a potential Habs coach his first job. And just in general, if the Habs are determined/resigned to fishing in that smaller pond of French-speaking candidates, might as well have it be a better-stocked one.

Jim

Gerry

May 5, 2017, 9:25:39 AM5/5/17
Darn it... so ends the Shipachyov watch. He signs with Las Vegas, 2 years, $9M.

I would have given him more from the Habs. 2 years, $11M, say.

He'd have still been a #1/2 center. But he'd be on a team that at least ought to be more competitive, play with what at least ought to be more talented players. Including many countrymen.

I don't see what would have been more attractive about Las Vegas, aside from the contract offer. Which leads me to expect that the Habs simply weren't offering that much, or wouldn't risk the 2nd year. In which case, I will call it a big missed opportunity on Bergevin's part.

Or at least, I'll call it that until Shipachyov falters and shows he can't hack it in the NHL next season anyway. In which case it becomes a great risk averted by the wise Bergevin and his sharp-eyed scouts. :)

l8r,
Gerry

Gerry

May 5, 2017, 9:49:12 AM5/5/17
On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 9:25:39 AM UTC-4, Gerry wrote:

> He'd have still been a #1/2 center. But he'd be on a team that at
> least ought to be more competitive, play with what at least ought
> to be more talented players. Including many countrymen.

Ha, although the immediate counter-argument to that which I've read this morning is... what if Vegas is also planning to sign Radulov, and/or Kovalchuk... what a line that would be and what a blow for the Habs.

Even without that extreme coup, you have to figure they can get Dadonov pretty easy now, at least.

l8r,
Gerry

Mike

May 5, 2017, 3:29:25 PM5/5/17
As I posted above:

Mitch Gallo had a good take on this:

"Las Vegas deeper at center than the Habs. They have one player."

Gerry

May 6, 2017, 6:43:27 AM5/6/17
On Friday, May 5, 2017 at 3:29:25 PM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
> As I posted above:
>
> Mitch Gallo had a good take on this:
>
> "Las Vegas deeper at center than the Habs. They have one player."

Technically, though... Habs do have depth. Vegas has more skill, but they only have 1 player. Habs have 5 or 6 centers... who can play 3rd or 4th line. :p

l8r,
Gerry

Nyssa

May 6, 2017, 8:47:46 AM5/6/17
I can easily see why Shipachyov opted for the Vegas offer:
better weather, lower taxes, and lots of stuff to do off
the ice. Only one language to learn too.

If the Habs lose Radulov, we're even more doomed than we
already are.

Nyssa, who wonders if Las Vegas will become Little Russia
if they get a bunch of Russian-speaking free agents to sign
there now