Weise goal/no goal...

yoyodog

Jan 29, 2015, 11:11:38 PM1/29/15
They kept showing the freeze of the puck after it started coming back out.
Before that, the puck hit Ludqvists toe but was a blur because of current
camera technology is set to 30fps so a clear freeze was impossible.

So two things could improve these situations:

1. Use 60 or 120 fps cameras for the shots that are from above the net so
that it is easier to pinpoint puck location. That might have shown a clear
freeze of the puck right on Lundqvists toe before heading back out.

or better still,

2. Employ the technology that tennis uses to pinpoint ball location next
the line. A puck doesn't move nearly as fast as a tennis ball and they seem
to have it nailed down.

Gerry

Jan 30, 2015, 10:33:18 AM1/30/15
I think it's coming. The puck-finding technology. Didn't they experiment with something in the ASG? Or is that some other venue to come?

Anyway, the frame rate on the cameras is a legit issue, something that has actually been a problem more than once, and ought to have been easier to fix. This is the stationary overhead camera too, not something that has to be swiveling or wear extra protection as the inside-the-net-cam. The fixed overhead cameras should be capable of a lot better resolution and higher frame rates already, today, every arena.

Turned out the Weise goal disallowal didn't hurt us, but it could have.

Anyway, all that said, pretty solid game for the team there. This is one where it makes our D corps look fine. If I just saw this game, and maybe cherry-picked 10 others during the season, I'd think we were doing fine in our own zone, and still with Weaver as a spare, no need to go out and pick up anybody. It's just the other 40 games, though... it sure would be nice if we didn't have to make a deadline trade, but I don't really have faith that our guys can ever sustain these kinds of games. Emelin and Gilbert, Gonchar and Beaulieu... they *can* do it... sometimes...

l8r,
Gerry

Gorgo

Jan 30, 2015, 4:14:41 PM1/30/15
Yes it was a solid game. I got soooo pissed today watching Hockey Central at Noon when the guest host, Jeff Marek, in his lead off comments mentions that the Habs won and that Price did it again. Clearly inferring that the only reason Habs won was because of Price. Even Shannon took notice and said "can't you just say they won?" Granted Price did play well but Lundqvist was equally good. It was your typical goaltenders battle. There were other bright spots on the Habs and, IMO, the Habs won 2-0. That shot by Weise was clearly in. Glad to see Nash turn in a disappearing act and for once St Louis didn't fuck us in the ass.

Mike

Jan 30, 2015, 5:19:54 PM1/30/15
and yet, like Rodnew Dangerfield they get no respect. NHL ranks them
13th - behind Boston fer crissakes. Amazing. I love it though. It will
only piss them off more.

gorgo...@gmail.com

Jan 30, 2015, 8:36:20 PM1/30/15
They've been proving peeps wrong all season long. No reason not to hope they keep it up. It would be so sweet if they went deep once again or even won it all. They could then take their Corsi rating and shove it up their arses. Still though, would be great if MB worked a bit more magic and got one of the pieces we need for a good post season run. I wonder if either Franson or Komorov of the Leafs could be had without them asking for Galchenyuk or Beaulieu? I may be tempted to part with Tinordi, his stock seems to be dropping.

Chuck

Jan 31, 2015, 12:24:45 AM1/31/15
On Friday, January 30, 2015 at 8:36:20 PM UTC-5, gorgo...@gmail.com wrote:
I wonder if either Franson or Komorov of the Leafs could be had

I doubt either of them would help improve the team's offence

Marty

Jan 31, 2015, 9:13:22 PM1/31/15
On Fri, 30 Jan 2015 17:36:19 -0800, gorgofromns wrote:

> They've been proving peeps wrong all season long.

The reason why the lack of respect is getting silly is because it goes
back to last season, or the season before for that matter.

As of this moment, tonight, Montreal is the only team that has been in the
top-4 of their conference for the last three seasons! Pittsburgh is just
barely outside the line at the moment, but they are the only other team
close to that level of success/consistency.

Montreal did take it on the chin in the play-offs against Ottawa, but
learned and had a nice run last season. If Price hadn't been injured in
game one who know what would have happened?

The fat Montreal is always in the top-4 and gets 0 respect is evidence, to
me, of a clear Hab's bias. Any other team would be getting tons of kudos
for this level of performance/consistency. Leafs fans would likely do
unseemly acts with donkey's it'd make the Leafs as good as the Hab's, but
until then they'll argue the Hab's just aren't REALLY good. Just two-and-a-
half seasons of fluky hockey.

Marty

TheMadApe

Feb 1, 2015, 9:15:59 AM2/1/15
And they will have a litany of excuses when the Habs win the cup.

TMA

Chuck

Feb 1, 2015, 12:42:23 PM2/1/15
Sports Media loves high scoring individual stars, more then team balance

Jim Bauch

Feb 1, 2015, 2:01:54 PM2/1/15
Probably just one excuse: goaltending doesn't count. Goalies aren't really part of a team, you see. They're not drafted and developed, you don't have to use salary cap space on them or make any decisions or devote any resources to them. They're just magical creatures who drop out of the sky and favor one team or another. That's why the Habs Cup wins in '86 and '93 don't really count: Montreal just got "lucky" to have Patrick Roy.

You never hear this in other sports. Nobody says, "the San Francisco Giants aren't really that good a team, but they have great starting pitching," because even the most idiotic baseball writer understands that starting pitching is part of "being a good team."

I understand why, as a convenient shorthand, people say things like "the Bruins held the edge in play, but Carey Price stopped 39 of 40 shots and the Habs pulled out a 2-1 victory." Technically the goaltender is a part of the team, too, so it's not true, but it's an easier shorthand than "the Bruins' skaters held the edge over the Habs' skaters...." But somewhere along the line that convenient simplifying language started warping how people think about the sport.

Notice, of course, that it doesn't work for any other player. You never hear "the Habs outplayed the Penguins, but Sidney Crosby scored three goals and set up two to give Pittsburgh a 5-4 win." It's just understood that Crosby "counts" as part of his team in a way that Price doesn't "count" as a Hab.

Jim