Laviolette on PK and more

Ed

May 13, 2017, 9:58:01 PM5/13/17
http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/subban-weber-trade-will-end-absolute-disaster-canadiens/

Peter Laviolette talks about how the Nashville Predators will deal with the physical play of the Anaheim Ducks and goes over why P.K. Subban is easy to coach.

Hear a coach say things about Subban that you've never heard before. (I feel like I'm selling a traveling circus sideshow)

Chuck

May 13, 2017, 10:56:51 PM5/13/17
Nashville sees a puck moving defence as a key to opening up the ice for their forwards. Nashville carries the puck into the offensive zone giving their forwards a chance to use their speed to get them selves open for passes that produce quality scoring chances. Sure there will be turnovers at the blue line once in awhile, but getting the puck to forwards in position to do something with it. While Montreal (MT) wanted pucks cleared into the zone, where the forwards would have to fight for it, and if they get it, then hope they can find someone open. With the defence hanging back, waiting for a counter attack, rather then to be active participants in the offensive zone (Equal strength). PK was traded because he would not embrace that system, without constantly questioning it

Mike

May 15, 2017, 10:47:03 AM5/15/17
Bergevin rolled the dice on several fronts and lost
He rolled the dice on his coach
He rolled the dice that his goalie could steal a series or two
He rolled the dice that Weber's leadership skills bring a cup
He rolled the dice that a team stacked with the best goalie and a
middling D would be able to overcome a limp dick offence
He rolled the dice on a team without a #1 centre and appears to be ready
to do so again.

There was just too much hope against hope on this team. Sure, they have
the world's best goalie but he's not going to give you 16 one goal
victories in the playoffs. In fact, I would argue that instead of a
stifling shut down type team, this team would be better off playing a
run and gun style. They got the world's best goalie back there so rely
on him. Don't try and make the team even harder to score against. To me
its like the law of diminishing returns. What do they expect to get when
you switch a D with PK on it for one with Weber? You might lower Price's
GAA from somewhere around 1.95 to 1.85 - big whoop. Load the team with a
run and gun offence with a take chances point of view and let Price do
his thing when he gets hung out to dry once in a while.

Gerry

May 17, 2017, 9:02:52 AM5/17/17
On Monday, May 15, 2017 at 10:47:03 AM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
> Bergevin rolled the dice on several fronts and lost

... meanwhile, David Poile announced as a finalist for GM of the Year. (And some would say considered a front-runner). And what big moves did Poile make? Well, granted he has spent time putting together his team over the years and has picked up a number of key players (Johansen, Forsberg) via trade, or found some guys in later rounds (Ekholm, Arvidsson)... only 1 big change in THIS season, however. We know what that one was.

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

May 17, 2017, 9:16:17 AM5/17/17
Dice was a good reference, MB changed one of his dice, while Poile exchanged pieces of his puzzle that fit together better.

Mike

May 17, 2017, 11:35:25 AM5/17/17
Do they give out GM award to the best dressed?
How about a "jokester" GM award? Is that given out?
Maybe an award for the GM with the greatest number of players making
under $2M a year?
An award for the highest number of defencemen not actually playing?

No? Damn, there goes our trip to the podium for Bergy. Too bad.

Ed

May 17, 2017, 2:10:11 PM5/17/17
Mike!

You didn't even mention any awards related to the foxhole. For shame :)

Longest stay in a foxhole.
Worst choice of foxhole buddies.

Ed

Mike

May 17, 2017, 8:37:53 PM5/17/17
Damn - how'd I miss that?

Jim Bauch

May 18, 2017, 1:29:41 PM5/18/17
Nice interview with Subban, with some implied criticism of the Foxhole:

http://www.tsn.ca/subban-preds-atmosphere-leads-to-success-1.755248

“It’s the feeling, you know?” Subban told the Tennessean. “The chemistry our team has starts with, I believe, ownership and management. I believe that’s where it starts. Based on the atmosphere you create around the work premises and work environment is how guys are going to feel when they come in to the rink. If you’re going to treat guys in a way where they’re going to love coming to the rink every day and love working hard and practicing and getting better, that’s what’s going to happen. If you don’t create that environment, it makes things a little tougher.

“I think the Preds have done a great, great job of creating an atmosphere that makes guys want to play there, want to be there. And want to play long and into June and have an opportunity to win a Cup. Everybody loves it. I haven’t heard one bad thing from a player in terms of the city of Nashville, the organization or our coaches.”

Mike

May 18, 2017, 1:47:09 PM5/18/17
God how I'd love for him to win the cup and then bring it back to the
Children's Hospital and then have a "charity event" in Montreal and
invite the foxhole gang. Take it to the Old Forum, invite fans out to
see the cup, get their picture with it, donate to charity, invite the
Foxhole Gang out to help raise funds for the kids - who is going to say
no to helping out "the poor kids".