Nothing like some dumpster diving in the summer

Mike

Jul 12, 2017, 10:00:30 AM7/12/17

Gerry

Jul 12, 2017, 10:16:08 AM7/12/17
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 9:00:30 AM UTC-5, Mike wrote:
> Bergy at it again
> https://twitter.com/JdeMontreal/status/885123627510886400

It's too soon for this IMHO. Maybe you get later into August or something, but nobody else is going to be banging on Streit's door. Or if they do, there still going to be other dumpsters to dive into.

Either that or they are just leaking a little fake news to try to get Markov's attention whilst he ignores them and enjoys his honeymoon. I don't think it will work, if so.

Streit couldn't play last year for the Pens when they were down to a skeleton staff on the blueline. You might as well roll with Jerabek and Morrow as take Streit at this point.

l8r,
Gerry

Mike

Jul 12, 2017, 10:32:26 AM7/12/17
Yeah but, doesn't 3 bottom pairing guys = 1 #1 pairing guy?

Nyssa

Jul 12, 2017, 11:26:26 AM7/12/17
New math. :(

Someone needs to check the water that BBB is drinking.
There's gotta be something in there besides H2O.

Nyssa, who is hoping it's a conspiracy rather than just
incompetence

Chuck

Jul 12, 2017, 12:16:04 PM7/12/17
Rumours probably came to Eklund in a dream

Gerry

Jul 16, 2017, 12:03:49 AM7/16/17
On Wednesday, July 12, 2017 at 11:16:04 AM UTC-5, Chuck wrote:
> Rumours probably came to Eklund in a dream

Seems pretty clear now it was a bit of a bluff attempt. Slow days. The bargain bin options may stick around right up until training camp!

l8r,
Gerry

Mike

Jul 16, 2017, 7:57:50 AM7/16/17
I can't see Bergevin letting almost $9M in cap space going unused by
September. Would like to think he has something up his sleeve that will
help the Habs at the centre position and chew up a fair amount of that
$9M but with this guy, nothing surprises me to be honest. I could also
see him signing 3 more 4th line plugs or another bottom pairing D
because "you can never have too many defencemen". You can actually and
he's proving it.

Chuck

Jul 16, 2017, 10:01:31 AM7/16/17
There could be trade opportunities should arbitration awards result in cap problems for some teams.

Gerry

Jul 16, 2017, 12:04:34 PM7/16/17
On Sunday, July 16, 2017 at 9:01:31 AM UTC-5, Chuck wrote:
> There could be trade opportunities should arbitration awards result in
> cap problems for some teams.

So looking at this, Minnesota has prominent cases with Granlund and Niedereitter... but they also have $15M in cap space.

The Red Wings have a prominent case with Tatar... and while it may look at first glance like they are the ones closest to having cap troubles, they also have Franzen they can put on LTIR (even in the off-season), and even if they ever did look to clear space, it seems like they might look to move a goalie instead of a center.

The Rangers have enough space for Zibanejad. Pens for Dumoulin and Sheary. Blues for Parayko. Preds have lots of RFAs, but ample cap space.

While it might be a good hope in theory, when I go through the arbitration list with Cap Friendly by my side, I just can't see a situation where it might actually crop up. It really looks like NHL GMs are laying off the bargain bin full of veterans specifically with an eye to locking up their RFAs and arbitration cases first. Then when all of that is truly settled, the bargain bin guys might get a look.

I have no doubt Bergevin is scrambling, he always does turn over every stone and that is one aspect of his tenure that I cannot criticize whatsoever... but I'm a little doubtful that he'll find a solution.

He might have no real choice but to go into the season with excess cap space.

l8r,
Gerry

Mike

Jul 17, 2017, 8:28:40 AM7/17/17
Duchene might be the domino that starts a few other dominoes falling. If
a team trades for him they may find themselves in a bit of cap trouble
and may need to shuffle someone off in his place. We'll see. As the
weeks go by however, I'm in the same boat as you I think.

Chuck

Jul 17, 2017, 11:53:58 AM7/17/17
Still haven't a clue why they need to trade him. When the rumours first started. The rumour was Sakic would be a willing trading partner if the offer included a top line forward, a high value defence prospect and multiple 1st round picks. Basically a trade no one would turn down if offered. Leap forward to the current state of rumours where it now claims Sakic has to trade him for the best available offer. Other then being in the midst of the offseason and hockey content for Sports media is as hard to find as water in the Sahara. Why does it seem everyone thinks Sakic has to make a trade just for the sake of creating news?

Jim Bauch

Jul 17, 2017, 12:34:14 PM7/17/17
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 8:53:58 AM UTC-7, Chuck wrote:
> Still haven't a clue why they need to trade him. When the rumours first started. The rumour was Sakic would be a willing trading partner if the offer included a top line forward, a high value defence prospect and multiple 1st round picks. Basically a trade no one would turn down if offered. Leap forward to the current state of rumours where it now claims Sakic has to trade him for the best available offer. Other then being in the midst of the offseason and hockey content for Sports media is as hard to find as water in the Sahara. Why does it seem everyone thinks Sakic has to make a trade just for the sake of creating news?

I don't follow the Avalanche, so I could be way off on this, but I think Sakic may be viewing them as a team in need of a shakeup. Here's their recent history:

2012-13: 39 pts in a 48-game season, 2nd last overall (3rd straight season of missing the playoffs)
Sakic put in charge of all hockey operations
2013-14: 112 pts, 1st in division, 1st round playoff loss
2014-15: 90 pts, 7th in division, DNQ
2015-16: 82 pts, 6th in division, DNQ
2016-17: 48 pts, 7th in division, DNQ

That's .... not good. They did the "tank and rebuild" thing not so long ago, and were supposed to be an up-and-coming team, though their success in Roy's rookie coaching year appears to have been a bit of a fluke. There's not even an upward trend. You have to imagine that Sakic is on thin ice.

It's pretty tough to tell your fans, "sorry, looks like we'll be rebuilding all over again" so soon, and as we can see for ourselves, it's hard to remake a team through free agency, so that leaves trades.

As for why Duchesne.... I presume he's seen as one of their more marketable assets. Plus, wasn't there some friction between him and management in the past? (I may be confusing him with another player.)

Jim

Chuck

Jul 17, 2017, 1:46:08 PM7/17/17
I think there was friction with Roy over team direction. Which caued him to leave. Problem with trading him is you just can't gamble the team he goes to will suck enough for the picks to morph into lottery picks aka Kessel to Toronto.

Gerry

Jul 17, 2017, 7:54:27 PM7/17/17
I think the bottom line is that Duchene is massively overrated. He had a lot of draft hype, he has had Team Canada on his resume and all that. But he's basically Plekanec on the ice. If they can get a good haul for him, they are going to win that deal, because he's a middle-6 player masquerading as a star.

l8r,
Gerry

Gerry

Jul 17, 2017, 7:56:04 PM7/17/17
That and he only has 2 years on his contract. After which, he'll still parlay his overrated reputation into a great contract, possibly as a UFA, gone for nothing.

l8r,
Gerry

Jim Bauch

Jul 17, 2017, 8:26:43 PM7/17/17
On Monday, July 17, 2017 at 4:54:27 PM UTC-7, Gerry wrote:
> I think the bottom line is that Duchene is massively overrated. He had a lot of draft hype, he has had Team Canada on his resume and all that. But he's basically Plekanec on the ice. If they can get a good haul for him, they are going to win that deal, because he's a middle-6 player masquerading as a star.

In my limited viewing of him, that's my take as well.

I think Sakic is in danger of overplaying his hand here. It sounds to me like he was hoping that Bergevin, or another GM in a similar situation, would be desperate enough to overpay for Duchesne. But as time goes by and nobody's biting, Sakic's seat has to be getting hotter. I mean, we complain about MB, but by comparison the Habs have been a success compared to the sinking ship that is the Avs.

Jim

Gerry

Jul 17, 2017, 9:32:54 PM7/17/17
Yeah, Sakic seems to be looking for a grand slam, but honestly an RBI double would be fine for him. I bet they have had RBI double offers already. But the longer you get into that 2 years of his contract, and the more teams fill up their cap space and settle on other options, the less likely he is even going to get that.

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Jul 17, 2017, 9:53:19 PM7/17/17
Duchene isn't good enough to be worth trading away two players Sakic would find acceptable. Sakic needs to chat with Brian Burke