Weber v Subban - interesting stats

Mike

Jun 13, 2017, 10:12:05 AM6/13/17
I Got this from RightNyder on HIO - so not my effort but his

2009-10: Weber paid $4M more as Subban goes to semifinals with only two
NHL games under his belt.
2010-11: Weber paid nearly $4M more as Subban scores two fewer goals as
a rookie.
2011-12: Weber paid $4M more for 13 more points.
2012-13: Weber paid $11M(!) more as Subban wins Norris Trophy
2013-14: Weber paid $11M(!) more as Subban gets three fewer points and
also goes to semifinals again; where Weber has never been.
2014-15: Weber paid $7M more as Subban outscores him by 15 points, is a
first-team all-star and a Norris finalist.
2015-16: Weber paid $7M more as Subban records the same amount of points
in 10 fewer games.
2016-17: Weber paid $3M more as Subban records two fewer points in 12
fewer games and goes to the final, two rounds past where Weber has ever
gone.

Total: Weber paid $50M (!!!!!!) more than Subban during that stretch.
Both were first-team all-stars twice. Subban won a Norris, Weber did
not. Subban in the playoffs: 13-37-50; two semifinals, one finals.
Weber in the playoffs during the same span: 11-11-22. Never past the
second round.

Gerry

Jun 13, 2017, 1:09:42 PM6/13/17
Pfft. It's the next 9 years that really matter anyway. In the last 8 of those years, Weber will make a paltry $30M. And you have him for !9 years!.

Whereas Subban has a mere 5 years left and will make a whopping $47M. Then you lose him to unrestricted free agency. Or he retires to go start a fashion business or become a celebrity chef or dancing with the stars contestant or somesuch nonsense.

Weber's stoic leadership over the next !9 years! will be far more important than anything else (points... Norris trophies... wins... Stanley Cups... pffft again).

Just watch.

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Jun 13, 2017, 5:55:50 PM6/13/17
For the near future, I doubt there will be any significant difference when comparing their production. The problem for Montreal is the blind faith they had in Petry and Markov to back him up. Whether its Subban or Weber, with no difference in the remaining Hab defence core, MB did not do enough to ensure the remainder of his defence could provide anything resembling productive consistency. Nashville was able to pair together defencemen of comparable offensive skill. Montreal? They paired Weber and Emelin!!!!

Gerry

Jun 13, 2017, 6:09:10 PM6/13/17
To me, the real difference will be Subban's health and attention span. If he gets back to being healthy, and if he doesn't get too distracted with all his off-ice interests, he can be a 60-pt per season defender while Weber is around 40-ish for the next few seasons. Subban will continue to have to share his PP time either way, though. But those are significant "ifs".

Meanwhile, I don't think there's any debate whatsoever that Subban drives possession and is a better defensive player than Weber at this stage. Weber ticks boxes in old school "crosschecks guys in the crease" metrics, but nothing else puts him in Subban's class in this area.

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Jun 13, 2017, 6:27:55 PM6/13/17
I think both Gainey and MB made a similar big error. They both made big moves affecting the core of the team. They both did little other then have blind faith when it came to making no moves to ensure the support players on the team could back those moves up = too many what you seen is what you got low production veterans.