Andrighetto and Lessio up

Gerry

Jan 31, 2016, 11:07:18 PM1/31/16
So along the lines (hopefully) of some of the things we have been suggesting, Lessio and Andrighetto are called up. Auditions for next season beginning.

I think we sort of know Andrighetto's niche by now. He's got decent skill and decent jam, but is still kind of stuck in a rut as a player who ideally fills something like a 2nd line scoring winger role, but it remains questionable whether he can really score enough in the NHL to adequately fill that role. He's probably not a player who is suited to much role evolution. If he can't fit on a semi-scoring line, it's questionable whether he can make it. But I do think he has shown enough in his cameos that he has earned a chance to show more. What ultimately comes of it, I do not know... I would say I'm not particularly optimistic about his chances, but I do acknowledge that he has earned the viewing.

As for Lessio, I think he's a guy we might come to like. He's fast and has a little more size, and plays a pretty hard game. I don't know that he can ever be projected to score much, but in a bottom-6 role as an aggressive forechecker who uses speed to pressure the opposition, I could see him panning out. I'm glad we're taking a look at him, anyway.

They have to work in a look at Friberg too, IMHO. And surprisingly enough, Morgan Ellis seems to have resurrected his career arc to some extent this year... although our defense corps overfloweth so far, at some point it would be interesting to get a look at him. (Something else that is interesting is that the IceCaps have been healthy-scratching the newly-acquired Victor Bartley, despite all the talk about how he was supposed to be some double-top-secret target in our whole Tinordi/Scott trade fiasco).

l8r,
Gerry