Calder Cup Final

Nyssa

Jun 11, 2017, 9:24:47 AM6/11/17
Since the NHL has been scheduling their Final games with
looooong gaps in between, I've been listening to a few of
the AHL's Calder Cup playoffs during the gaps.

First, it's interesting to note that the two teams in the
Final both have parent NHL teams that missed the NHL playoffs:
Grand Rapids = Detroit and Syracuse = Tampa Bay.

So it looks like the teams that didn't quite make it at least
have some good prospects and two way contract players down
on the farm, which should mean good things for their future
success in the NHL. We all know that Tampa went down to the
wire in not making it, a lot due to injuries to key players.

GR is leading 3 games to 2 with Game 6 in GR on Tuesday.

A couple of ex-Habs are doing their thing for Syracuse,
Bournival and Dumont. Both are picking up points and
they've even given Dumont an "A" for his leadership.
Compare and contrast that to their play with the Habs.

Could it be that they are actually getting some *coaching*
in Syracuse and previous to that in their time with Tampa?
You all know what I mean. They're getting training to
hone their skills plus chances out on the ice to put that
into practice on a regular basis. Not nailed to the bench
if they make a mistake.

Good on 'em!

Lack of that real coaching and training cost the Habs these
two players and others over MT's tenure as faux coach.

I'm *so* glad MT is history. Perhaps CJ will be more of
a teaching coach with a higher tolerance for the flubs
that are just part of the learning and growing process.

Nyssa, who will admit that she hopes GR wins on home ice
on Tuesday, but is pleased that our ex-Habs are pulling
their weight for the Crunch

Chuck

Jun 11, 2017, 9:42:04 AM6/11/17
Speaking of former Habs still in playoff hockey. Between the finalists there are 4 former Hab defencemen they had little patience for. Subban, Hainsey and Y Weber lots of playing time. Streit a press box spare

Nyssa

Jun 11, 2017, 10:04:01 AM6/11/17
And PA Parenteau (not a defenseman) who scored a winning
goal for Nashville in Game 4...then was benched for Game 5.

Go figure...

Nyssa, who wonders if Parenteau will be back in tonight and
adds a GO PK!

Gerry

Jun 11, 2017, 10:57:49 AM6/11/17
Well, all apologies, but I would take a relatively dismissive stance wrt all the players mentioned here so far. (Ok, except Subban - but all the other fringier ones). Not that the narrative is wrong - the Habs have had terrible development and coaching at both levels for a while. Just these specific players don't really represent great examples to build a case on.

Dumont and Bournival are classic tweeners, Dumont has been scrappy and worked his butt off to try to make it - he actually played half the season in the NHL with the Lightning - but at the end of the day they are just more of those depth guys that we slag Bergevin for accumulating too many of already. From a hometown kind of perspective, maybe it would be nice to integrate our own bottom line tweeners into the lineup rather than trade draft picks or assemble a host of outsiders in those roles. But it's largely a cosmetic thing. The team wouldn't be better or worse either way.

Hainsey had his problems. Nice that he matured in a totally unexpected way, and became something quite different than he was for the Habs. Sometimes that's just the way of it. Weber is like Nesterov, you can find those guys anywhere. Streit is about to retire... he made a nice run, but I still don't think he'd have helped the Habs significantly at any point.

Mostly, I'd say those are examples of "par for the course". Fringe players bounce around, some players need a change of scenery to wake up and change their ways, etc.

But nevertheless it's nice to see them doing well.

l8r,
Gerry

Gerry

Jun 11, 2017, 10:59:43 AM6/11/17
Oh yeah and Parenteau... well, I still don't understand how he has an NHL job, but surely that can't last much longer. It's as much on the NHL and the style of hockey that we see these days, but nevertheless, Parenteau was definitely no loss to the Habs either IMHO.

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Jun 11, 2017, 11:16:09 AM6/11/17
Some teams are better at getting more out of fringe players. For all the teams involved, Weber, Hainsey and Streit filled their roles this season. Next season they will all be looking elsewhere for work. Unlike Montreal's first offseason roster move was to resign a rather unproductive 4th line trade deadline pickup! The above teams built thier teams from the top down rather then the 4th line up

Nyssa

Jun 11, 2017, 3:47:40 PM6/11/17
Oddly enough, there have been several stories lately about
players who were undrafted and/or playing in the ECHL who
were signed by teams either through the players coming into
training camp on tryouts or their scouts seeing them and
giving them a chance.

How many prospects have the Habs found through their scouting?

I wouldn't count Radulov since he was a known KHL quantity
and basically a walk-in freebie.

So on two counts, other teams are doing better: developing
their picks in-house and finding hidden gem freebies down
in the college or ECHL ranks.

The point I was trying to make, perhaps not clearly enough,
is that the Habs don't have the proper infrastructure in
place to do proper development and the scouting has been
hit-and-miss. Moving the AHL affliate around from city to
city isn't hiding the fact that the development coaching
on the farm isn't doing its job well at all.

It isn't the city the team is in that's important, it's
the coaching staff and their philosophy on player development
and whether or not that fits in well with the parent team.

Look at Detroit and Grand Rapids over the past few years
at how well the kids being called up fit into the system.
Ditto the Pens and Wilkes-Barre.

Another thing to add to MB's to-do list hopefully in consultation
with CJ to improve the system that hasn't been working too well
to prepare for the future.

Nyssa, who is counting the hours until tonight's game and
hoping that there will be a Game 7 on Wednesday

Chuck

Jun 11, 2017, 6:05:17 PM6/11/17
With a front office chock full of retired NHL players , can they look past giving fringe journeyman players an umpteenth chance at hanging onto a position in the NHL vs an undrafted, unnoticed player whose skills slipped under the radar, who is yet to receive a first shot?

zip by

Jun 11, 2017, 7:09:54 PM6/11/17
In article <28e4d1d0-816d-49c7...@googlegroups.com>,
Gerry <ger...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Well, all apologies, but I would take a relatively dismissive stance wrt all
> the players mentioned here so far.

Point taken, Gerry. Otoh, it is my opinion that it is important to
build a winning culture on the farm. Guys like Dumont walk to another
club and have some success as "tweeners" not the least of which is
helping the Syracuse to a championship final.

This is no small thing.

And of course we replaced him as C with Friberg, who has now also
walked.

Would it not be better to retain these guys who have already given a
lot to the organization?

Instead year after year we sign more "tweeners" for their alleged
leadership qualities and fill out the roster with 25 day tryouts ad
nauseam.

And they are coached by someone who is possibly the only person on the
planet who is less imaginative than MT.

The Habs organization should aim higher.

Gerry

Jun 11, 2017, 8:34:56 PM6/11/17
And this is definitely an issue. For the last 6 years, they've been utterly dismissive of the importance of winning in the minors. Under Lefebvre they missed the playoffs 4 years straight, then made just a brief appearance this season for the first time in 5 years.

And somehow the word on the street seems to be that they're actually considering retaining Lefebvre.

The rhetoric from the front office seems to be that they aren't focused on winning, but rather on development, and how important it is for the farm team to play systematically like the parent club in order to facilitate the integration of callups.

Well...

Anyway, I totally agree that the farm system has been awful, and that there are several factors which go into that. They are not developing players from within. Now, past a certain point, minor leaguers are naturally going to go to new organizations to get a fresh chance, and then become hired journeymen as the years go by. I don't think that path has necessarily been surprising for some collection of players like the ones Nyssa originally mentioned. In isolation. Players like that do move around. Sometimes the Habs have brought in new quality journeymen (Redmond, Terry) to replace the departed ones, some seasons less so, every team does. But I do definitely agree that the Habs overall are lacking in their development approach, and the farm system has languished.

It'd be nice to think there would be a fresh start this year with the team moving to presumably permanent local digs. For a while there was talk of some of the fresh Q coachs like Bouchard maybe getting a look to replace Lefebvre. But that seems to have died down. I guess we'll see, but frankly I think we've already seen most of Bergevin's MO now, and so I'm not exactly optimistic about things getting better on the farm.

l8r,
Gerry

Mike

Jun 12, 2017, 8:23:12 AM6/12/17
All good points Nyssa and points that underscore just how bad player
development is under the current regime. And its not just young player
development either. This morning I was struck with some awe as I saw a
picture of Phil Kessel with Stanley Cup #2. This was a guy Toronto had
difficulty giving away - Pittsburgh took him tho, gladly. Meanwhile, our
goal starved team took a pass. So its more than just young player
mis-development - its difficulties in identifying good players in
general that seems to be hampering this team's management group.

Gerry

Jun 12, 2017, 9:02:50 AM6/12/17
On Monday, June 12, 2017 at 8:23:12 AM UTC-4, Mike wrote:
> All good points Nyssa and points that underscore just how bad player
> development is under the current regime. And its not just young player
> development either. This morning I was struck with some awe as I saw a
> picture of Phil Kessel with Stanley Cup #2. This was a guy Toronto had
> difficulty giving away - Pittsburgh took him tho, gladly. Meanwhile, our
> goal starved team took a pass. So its more than just young player
> mis-development - its difficulties in identifying good players in
> general that seems to be hampering this team's management group.

This pretty much nails it... difficulty in identifying talent - of any age or at any stage of development, and not just player talent - coaching at both levels was absolutely detrimental to player development too - and it was the same coaching for 5 years straight, so that is going to leave a crater that takes time to fill back in.

Of course, the obvious question will be... if they couldn't do it for the previous 5 years, what changes?

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Jun 12, 2017, 9:31:06 AM6/12/17
Goal starved? They take forever to step away from perpetually invisible players they designate as core. Look how long it took to give up on DD. Plekanec has been invisible for two years. Max Pac is productive when he pushes 10 shots on goal in a game. When his icetime is cranked and his shot totals remain low, he to, is invisible. The Pens got significant playoff scoring from depth players, while Montreal's depth forwards are lucky to get more then 1 or 2, often any shots on goal. Montreal relied on veteran rescues to fill out team depth. Players with weak playmaking skills and very little potential to be anything other then waiver skirters. It should be no shock they couldn't manage any thing other then random scoring chances.

Season is over, the ball is in MB's court. Next 3 events are on him. Expansion draft, Entry Draft and UFA frenzy. Will he save his job or just save a few more 30+ players from retirement obscurity?

Gerry

Jun 12, 2017, 9:36:53 AM6/12/17
Expansion draft is going to be big... not just in terms of seeing the team's list, but also in terms of some of the fireworks which are set to go off around the league as teams jockey their lists. It's going to be a pretty big week of movement and news. And so on through the Entry Draft too... even if the picks themselves are mostly non-impactful in the shorter term, there are always a lot of trades.

Probably some of that discussion needs a new fresh thread!

l8r,
Gerry

Gerry

Jun 13, 2017, 8:49:20 AM6/13/17
It's pretty frustrating how dismissive they seem to be of talent that comes from within. They spend the time to draft these guys and at least put in whatever form of development they employ. Then many of the few players who do manage to claw their way past the incompetent coaching and into the lineup... well, it sure seems like they have a tough time accepting those players as indviduals.

Obviously Subban is poster boy for their inability to objectively evaluate talent. But it's going to be pretty troubling if they also go that route with Galchenyuk and Beaulieu in the next couple of weeks. The writing seems to be on the wall for those two, however.

It's getting a bit ridiculous, really. After the Price draft - now a dozen years ago - they've had a pretty spotty draft performance. It's not like they've drafted purely on traditional character traits either. They've gone for lots of guys who've had question marks.

2006 - Fischer was a noted flake that many teams DND'ed. Busted.

2007 - McDonagh and Subban in the same draft. Holy lord. McDonagh wouldn't leave school right away to join the team so he was labeled and traded. Remember when Pacioretty said he was better off going back to Hamilton if they couldn't use him in a better role and the controversy that caused? Narrow escape there!

2008 - traded the 1st for Tanguay. Played 50 games for the team and was let go after refusing to play with an injury. Labeled disloyal. Played 7 more seasons and got nearly 300 more pts after the Habs ditched him, though.

2009 - Louis Leblanc. I think he is retired now and went back to Harvard? Other teams were worried about his hockey/life balance. Habs pushed him to leave Harvard and generally did a crap job developing him too.

2010 - Jarred Tinordi. After 4 AHL seasons and his return from the PED suspension, safe to say bust now right?

2011 - Nathan Beaulieu. Not saying he's a saint or anything, but regardless of his personality traits, he looks to me like a player who should be rounding into form as a smooth-skating middle-pairing NHL defensemen right about now. Instead, likely to be traded soon. Probably not for a great return.

2012 - Alex Galchenyuk. You don't get #3 overall very often. Habs have jerked him around for years now and will try to trade him.

2013 - Michael McCarron. I guess we'll see. So far he looks like he could become a reasonable bottom-6 grinder.

2014 - Nikita Scherbak - another ultra-skill guy who already seems to be getting labeled and held back in the minors for having more of a sunny personality than being a robo-warrior type.

2015/16 - Juulsen and Sergachev. TBD. But if they are making any bold trades this summer, decent chance one of these is used as a trade chip.

Gallagher is maybe the only guy they've really brought through from within? He played 36 games in the AHL before clawing his way up and sticking. Plekanec and Markov are from different eras. Lehkonen and Emelin did their developing overseas... maybe that would be the best approach for the Habs in the future... draft Europeans, let them stay home and develop until they are ready to step straight into the lineup!

Other young guys have come up and shown a bit of a spark at times, struggled at others, like Carr, Pateryn, Andrighetto, very briefly Hudon, but they can't ultimately break through the choking wall of bargain bin veteran depth guys the team amasses. There's no patience whatsoever with them, which is maybe not unusual in the NHL in general. But some of those guys will have NHL careers in other cities, and the Habs will have nothing at all in return to show for it.

Is a rebuild really a good idea here? I'm thinking that would be pretty painful!

l8r,
Gerry

Nyssa

Jun 13, 2017, 9:21:43 AM6/13/17
And will have the same results in the end if they follow the
identical pattern of non-development of young players and
relatively poor scouting of non-major junior talent.

I doubt that CJ is enough of a fighter to change MB's
MO or the attitudes in force within the organization.

Inventive play? Outgoing personality? Values education?

Forget about it!

Nyssa, who is not optimistic about the possibilities of
a rebuild with the same old gang in charge of it

Gerry

Jun 13, 2017, 9:48:23 AM6/13/17
I wonder if they just need to get on the same page to some extent. It seems like they don't necessarily shy away from players at the draft table who have "personality", and they don't seem to have any aversion to drafting smaller, skillsier, or happy-go-luckier kids in general. But then when it comes to developing and integrating some of those kids down the road, the fit to their organizational philosophy just isn't there.

Maybe they need to learn that they can't change people? Or that it's not a great idea to try/feel like they need to.

If what they want is a bunch of gung-ho stoney-faced boring robo-Crosby-quote machine players who don't have any purpose in life beyond shedding some bleu-blanc-rouge blood on the ice for the team, ok, maybe they should make more of a concerted effort to try to draft only those types of kids? Granted, picking teenagers you can't always evaluate those traits and potentials with 100% success. But you could do a lot better than they have with some of their flakier picks.

I think the NHL playoffs really drove home to me that the NHL has embraced a relatively thugly type of game again, it's all about traffic, no time or space available, try to pinball the puck through the screens and shot-blockers, and dump it somewhere safe if you can't. Speed and skill and creativity aren't really very important anymore. Ok, speed still is... have to get in the lanes and pressure all over the ice. It's not just in Montreal that any colourful displays get jumped on as undesirable.

If that's the NHL game going forward, and if you want to deploy a platoon of killer robots to flourish as the epitome of that trend, ok, I guess that's your prerogative. But might as well be consistent and draft with that philosophy in place too... maybe fewer kids would be left by the wayside and messed around in the process?

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Jun 13, 2017, 1:05:36 PM6/13/17
When was the last time they had a coach who could read the strengths and weaknesses of his players and adjust the system to maximize what they do best. They never seem able to escape going with a lowest common denominator of dump and chase defence. Where offence is stifled at both ends of the ice, where offence comes from mistakes rather then skill. I wish they'd take a chance and make rule changes to get offence back in the game as well as getting rid of the flexible rule book that has sucked the skill out of the game

Gerry

Jun 29, 2017, 1:32:50 PM6/29/17
So just to resurrect this sad discussion... apparently Sylvain Lefebvre is totally expected to coach Laval next season. HE told the Habs he wanted to wait and see if he could land an NHL assistant job somewhere first, but since it is becoming apparent now that he can't, HE will allow them to re-sign him as their farm team head coach.

The benefits of nepotism or what.

Dude has coached an abysmal track record in the AHL standings and in terms of development for 5 years, can't get anybody else to hire him, but is still the go-to guy for the Habs.

l8r,
Gerry