So Lindgren got his first shut out

Mike

Feb 27, 2018, 1:24:01 PM2/27/18
and lost the game. Boy if that doesn't summarize the 2017-2018
Canadiens, nothing will. No worries though. Bergy promises they're going
to get younger and quicker. I guess being late to the party is better
than not showing up at all.

Chuck

Feb 27, 2018, 1:36:10 PM2/27/18
I think using Schlemko in the shootout sums up things

gorgo...@gmail.com

Feb 28, 2018, 9:06:43 AM2/28/18
Apparently he's 2 for 4 on the shootout and has scored a couple of near ones. I have no problem with it, MaxPac is 0 for 8 going to last season.

Chuck

Feb 28, 2018, 9:27:50 AM2/28/18
Always have found CJ’s choices odd. 2 for 4 is good. Time to bring in a shoot out consultant. And get their shooters to be a little less predictable. Too often shooters on all teams can’t resist being too fancy with the puck and run out of ice!

Nyssa

Feb 28, 2018, 9:31:19 AM2/28/18
Oh, how I wish it had been MaxPac going bye-bye instead of
Plecks!

Our Dear Leader is still here with his platitudes after losses
though, so I guess the Foxhole thinks that makes him more useful
than winning face offs or other trivial stuff like crashing
the net or scoring.

Nyssa, who is getting very cynical at this point that anything
will change for the better over the summer either

Gerry

Feb 28, 2018, 10:40:05 AM2/28/18
I never understand when a big scorer doesn't want to do shootouts. Ovechkin is like that too iirc. I know Pacioretty has a history of sucking on breakaways and shootouts. But come on, the guy can snipe, he isn't one of the top 5 goal-scoring wingers the last 5 years for nothing. Come in fast and shoot hard, it doesn't have to be anything fancy. I also don't understand why a captain doesn't want the game on his stick in this situation. Don't underestimate yourself, dude! I know this isn't the way you get most of your goals in games, but those goals aren't all flukes either. Pacioretty can skate and shoot with the best, and nobody is checking him in a shootout, he ought to be more of an asset in that situation IMHO.

Schlemko, wow, maybe he got lucky a couple of times, but I doubt he scored more than 10 goals in a season anywhere since junior. Pacioretty scored 39 in the NHL and shouldn't be out of the mix when you get past the top-3.

Anyway, it's a bit of a <shrug> all the same, because a loss is actually better for the Habs than a win at this point in the season. (Sorry Charlie!)

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Feb 28, 2018, 12:08:36 PM2/28/18
Maybe too many players treat the shootout like a slam dunk competition, thinking who can make the highlight reel. Some Players may have very accurate shots during game play, but give them a chance to deke, accuracy drops

Gerry

Feb 28, 2018, 12:17:55 PM2/28/18
On Wednesday, February 28, 2018 at 12:08:36 PM UTC-5, Chuck wrote:
> Maybe too many players treat the shootout like a slam dunk competition, thinking who can make the highlight reel. Some Players may have very accurate shots during game play, but give them a chance to deke, accuracy drops

Definitely. I can't believe how many guys come in slow, dipsy-doodling, and then run out of real estate and waste their chance at the end. That's not how they score goals in real life. Even on a clean breakaway in a game you have to skate hard and make the moves at game speed, shootout should be no different IMO. Maybe there are a few Datsyukian magicians out there who can be an exception to that, but the vast majority of players aren't in that category.

Pet peeve. :)

l8r,
Gerry

Chuck

Feb 28, 2018, 12:24:31 PM2/28/18
It doesn’t appear Coaches make any effort to simplify player’s shootout efforts

Mike

Feb 28, 2018, 12:33:57 PM2/28/18
according to Bergy in his presser Max is doing his best. Max says he
takes his share of the blame, can't take all the blame though, he has a
family, blah blah.

I guess were supposed to feel bad for him. The poor guy. So give up the
Captaincy and give it to someone who won't crack under the pressure. Why
the players picked this guy to be their leader speaks volumes doesn't it?

I'll give Bergy this much - he said he wants to move forward with youth,
speed and character. Yep on all 3 fronts but especially on the character
front. There isn't any on this team. There was when Bergy took over but
for all his BS about character, he chased it all out of this team and
replaced it with players who lack it. Yet another reason to not buy in
to his continuing stream of BS.