Development Camp

zip by

Jul 8, 2017, 12:17:52 PM7/8/17
Managed to see the last scrimmage of the development camp this past
week and here is a small report.

I have to say that the facility in Brossard is huge - 2 rinks and an
indoor soccer field - lots of nice vantage points for the fans.
Impressive.

It was also a lot of fun. The scrimmages were high tempo. Very
entertaining, so a visit there if you ever get the opportunity is
worthwhile.

Only a handful of players stood out for me: Sherbak looked very good, I
am hoping for a productive season in Laval. Juulsen very solid on D as
was Bourque. Mete had some nice moments as well.

The player that caught my eye every time he was on the ice was Ikonen -
looks like a real keeper - great hands, shifty skating, sees the ice
very well. He made a beautiful cross ice pass to set up one goal. On
another he was doing a Gallagher like screening job on the opposing
goalie. Hustles all the time. Well worth keeping an eye on his progress
with Frolunda.

Another guy who made good plays and had a lot of speed and hustle was
Evans - could turn into a good sleeper pick.

Also was impressed with Cayden Primeau - very big in the net - great
reflexes.

The other draft picks played well but not as impressive as the above.

There were also a number of "try out" players - only 1 stood out for
speed and skill: Zerter-Gossage. Worth keeping an eye on his career in
Harvard.

All in all a nice visit - looking forward to rookie camp - y'all have a
nice summer.

Nyssa

Jul 8, 2017, 3:17:55 PM7/8/17
Thanks for the report! I'm jealous that you made it up there
and got a look-see.

Sounds like there are a few promising kids in the mix, I'm
just hoping beyond hope that whatever talent and creativity
(and enthusiasm) isn't driven out of them by the lackluster
coaching staff at Laval. And the big team for that matter.

Less than three months to go! I'm already having withdrawal
symptoms. I may have to break out some DVDs to watch old
games from my set of 10 Most Memorable Games in Canadiens
History or a Stanley Cup Final from recent years to take
the edge off.

Nyssa, who wishes that one of those Memorable Games were
been from a recent Stanley Cup Final

Gerry

Jul 8, 2017, 4:27:57 PM7/8/17
I wasn't smart enough to put my highlights on DVD in time, alas. I had highlights VCR tapes going back to the '86 playoffs, but those tapes are all dead now alas. :'(

l8r,
Gerry

Nyssa

Jul 8, 2017, 7:50:03 PM7/8/17
This is a boxed set of DVDs of the 10 Most Memorable games.
I managed to snag a set on Amazon's marketplace used for
under $10. A steal! It includes a game against the Red Army
team and the 1965 Final winning game which is also the
Rocket's last game. Beliveau looks like a giant next to
the rest of the team.

There is also a similar set out for the Leaves, but the prices
are higher when and if you can find them offered. Dunno why.
Maybe because Leafs memorable games are so hard to find in
the first place. lol

Nyssa, who also has a couple of sets of Red Wings Stanley
Cup runs in her collection

Mike

Jul 8, 2017, 10:05:05 PM7/8/17
I have the same set - some memorable games on there for us oldtimers.

Nyssa

Jul 9, 2017, 10:08:59 AM7/9/17
Very true, although I might have picked a different Memorable
Game or two instead of the ones they did. I would have preferred
more older games than the newer ones. More Bruins-Habs conflicts!

I also have a Devils Final in my collection and the Lightning
Final. I really wish I could find a DVD of the Avs Final when
Bourque won, but it seems the NHL didn't make one. Stupid move!

Plus I've got a few of the Olympic medal games on DVD from
2006 that are homemade rather than purchased so have all
the commercials and chatter.

Plenty to watch if I get desperate enough.

Meanwhile I'm reading a lot on my Kindle to the point where
I need to recharge it every day. Too bad I don't have any
hockey books on it. ;)

Nyssa, who wishes she could watch a DVD or read a Kindle while
mowing the lawn so it wouldn't be so boring a job