Koivu mentioned on Hotstove

John Corbin

Dec 15, 2007, 8:55:29 PM12/15/07
Looks like Koivu is underr the micrtoscope in Montreal...

On the Hotstove segment tonight, it was mentioned that there is
unhappines with Koivu's play.

Maybe the trade is closer than thought

j.b...@comcast.net

Dec 15, 2007, 9:10:43 PM12/15/07

Eh. Most of that was coming from Al Strachan, and when Ron Maclean
pressed him on it, it seemed to be based on nothing more than: (1)
Koivu (in Al's opinion) isn't playing well; (2) Carbonneau can't be
happy with Koivu's play; and (3) therefore, Bob Gainey must be unhappy
with Koivu.

On another Strachan-related note, I'd like to claim confirmation of my
lockout-era theory that he and Bob Goodenow are rather close; Al
seemed awfully well-informed about the latest activities of "Goody."

Jim

Marty

Dec 15, 2007, 9:19:29 PM12/15/07
j.b...@comcast.net wrote in news:9d599f2a-7a1b-4405-a98c-7addce17f406
@r60g2000hsc.googlegroups.com:

> On Dec 15, 5:55 pm, John Corbin <JohnHabs...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Looks like Koivu is underr the micrtoscope in Montreal...
>>
>> On the Hotstove segment tonight, it was mentioned that there is
>> unhappines with Koivu's play.
>>
>> Maybe the trade is closer than thought
>
> Eh. Most of that was coming from Al Strachan, and when Ron Maclean
> pressed him on it, it seemed to be based on nothing more than: (1)
> Koivu (in Al's opinion) isn't playing well; (2) Carbonneau can't be
> happy with Koivu's play; and (3) therefore, Bob Gainey must be unhappy
> with Koivu.

Nobody is happy when the team is losing a players are struggling. Wins will
take care of rumours and unhappiness. Let us hope they start rolling.

Marty

JimmyJay

Dec 15, 2007, 10:14:57 PM12/15/07

He was taking bad penalties, not scoring, nor really getting any
assists.

Wasn't leading by example and didn't seem capable of motivating the
troops.

Was anybody happy with him during the last month?

I'm not saying trade him but he wasn't playing good hockey.
Especially for a captain.

I'll give him all the slack he needs though.

We all new a game like this was going to happen soon and begin to
right the ship.

The Captain stepping up - good medicine.

Kyle Roussel

Dec 15, 2007, 10:25:45 PM12/15/07
He's been drinking the kool-aid. Sells papers and is a sexy rumour.
Strachan has always been a cabbage-patch look-alike hack of a reporter
and always will be. I don't believe a word out of his mouth.

Jon202

Dec 15, 2007, 11:13:42 PM12/15/07
John Corbin wrote:
> Looks like Koivu is underr the micrtoscope in Montreal...

The first 2 lines were looking really creative tonight, esp. Koivu and
Higgins. They controlled the boards really well in the off. zone.

anyone catch the comment that Koivu's parents were in attendance??

Lauri Tarkkonen

Dec 15, 2007, 11:28:37 PM12/15/07

Of course some want to argue, that Ryder is not soring and that must be
Saku's fault, but Higgins and Ryder have the most shots on goal 105 and
77 with Kovalev and Plekanec next with 75 and 69 (before tonights game
angainsts the Leafs), Alex and Tomas score with a percentage of 17.3 and
14.5, but Higgins and Ryder with 12.4 and 3.9.

You could of course argue that Saku is ineffective, when his winger is
missing the net most of the time, but if Ryder would score with even the
same percentage than Chipchura and Dandenault, that is 10 or if
Latendresse would be there shooting those shots with 14.9 percent, you
could bet that Saku would have some 5 to 8 points more, and he would be
by far the leading scorer of the team again.

You could of course argue that Saku is ineffective, when his winger is
missing the net most of the time, but if Ryder would score with even the
same percentage than Chipchura and Dandenault, that is 10 or if
Latendresse would be there shooting those shots with 14.9 percent, you
could bet that Saku would have some 5 to 8 points more, and he would be
by far the leading scorer of the team again.

Go/Ga As/Ga Po/Ga -Sak
1 Guy Lafleur 961 518 728 1246 0.539 0.758 1.297 687
missing the net most of the time, but if Ryder would score with even the
same percentage than Chipchura and Dandenault, that is 10 or if
Latendresse would be there shooting those shots with 14.9 percent, you
could bet that Saku would have some 5 to 8 points more, and he would be
by far the leading scorer of the team again.

Go/Ga As/Ga Po/Ga -Sak
1 Guy Lafleur 961 518 728 1246 0.539 0.758 1.297 687
2 Jean Beliveau 1125 507 712 1219 0.451 0.633 1.084 660
4 Maurice Richard 978 544 421 965 0.556 0.430 0.987 406
5 Larry Robinson 1202 197 686 883 0.164 0.571 0.735 324
6 Yvan Cournoyer 968 428 435 863 0.442 0.449 0.892 304
7 Jacques Lemaire 853 366 469 835 0.429 0.550 0.979 276
8 Steve Shutt 871 408 368 776 0.468 0.423 0.891 217
9 Bernard Geoffrion 766 371 388 759 0.484 0.507 0.991 200
10 Elmer Lach 664 215 408 623 0.324 0.614 0.938 64
11 Mats Näslund 617 243 369 612 0.394 0.598 0.992 53
12 Dickie Moore 654 254 340 597 0.388 0.520 0.913 38
13 Claude Provost 1005 254 335 589 0.253 0.333 0.586 30
14 Mario Tremblay 852 258 326 584 0.303 0.383 0.685 25
15 Guy Lapointe 777 166 406 572 0.214 0.523 0.736 13
16 Peter Mahovlich 581 223 346 569 0.384 0.596 0.979 10
17 Saku Koivu 682 166 393 559 0.243 0.576 0.820 0
18 Guy Carbonneau 912 221 326 547 0.242 0.357 0.600 -12
19 Hector Blake 577 235 292 527 0.407 0.506 0.913 -32
20 Bobby Rousseau 643 200 322 522 0.311 0.501 0.812 -37
21 Ralph Backstrom 844 215 287 502 0.255 0.340 0.595 -57
21 Bob Gainey 1160 239 263 502 0.206 0.227 0.433 -57

The last column tellin you how much Saku is behind the player ahead of
him. In the end of this season Saku is challenging #12 Dickie Moore, #11
Mats Näslund and #10 Elmer Lach and if he plays two more seasons after
this he is challenging some of the players like Bernard Geoffrion, Steve
Shut and Jacques Lemaire, and you all know that most of these guys got
much more talent on the ice with them as Saku ever had.

Henri Richard has 0.831 points per game compared to Saku's 0.820, do you
think Saku could do better with wingers like Rocket Richard, Dickie
Moore, Yvan Cournoyer. Lemaire got 0.987 playing with Lafleur and Shutt,
what could Saku have, if he would have Lafleur instead of Petrov and the
younger Bure, or some of the other talent you do not even remember the
names of, Benoit Brunet, etc. For sure, it would be nice if he would get
at least one point per period and perhaps even more, but he has been
quite consistent 0.8 points per game scorer, and if you look at his
assists per game, 0.576 he is about sixth in the Habs history, and the
players ahead of him: Lafleur, Beliveau, Lach, Näslund and Peter
Mahovlich had all some highly qualified linemates. Mats Näslund perhaps
the least prominent ones, so his points must be very highly regarded,
but Saku makes some very good company indeed, beind ahead of players
like Henri Richard and Jacques Lemaire, who had some really elite
wingers.

- Lauri Tarkkonen

jeff.j...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2007, 1:48:43 AM12/16/07
On Dec 16, 12:28 am, tarkk...@cc.helsinki.fi (Lauri Tarkkonen) wrote:

> Of course some want to argue, that Ryder is not soring and that must be
> Saku's fault, but Higgins and Ryder have the most shots on goal 105 and
> 77 with Kovalev and Plekanec next with 75 and 69 (before tonights game
> angainsts the Leafs), Alex and Tomas score with a percentage of 17.3 and
> 14.5, but Higgins and Ryder with 12.4 and 3.9.

My first usenet post in >10 years...

Great points Mr. Tarkkonen - the same Mr. Tarkkonen who was subscribed
to the plaidworks list years ago, I presume?

In addition, Koivu is playing in the dead puck era. In the context of
the all-time list, his points are worth at least 1.2x those of the 70s
era stars.

In the context of other Habs this year, he is still The Man.
Regardless of what Carbo thinks of him, opposing coaches still respect
Koivu more than Kovalev, 5-on-5.

http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/200708players/

John Paddock has played Volchenkov/Phillips for a total of 29 minutes
vs. Koivu, compared to only 13 minutes vs. Kovalev. Prior to tonight,
Sundin had 21 minutes vs. Koivu compared to only 11 vs. Kovalev. If
you go right down the line looking at top opposing centres and top
shutdown defensemen, it's a similar story.

Ever since Ryder's been taken off the top line there have been some
coaches who focus more on the Kovalev line. The more we see that
happen, the more nights like tonight we see for Koivu.

Jeff J

George O'Reilly

Dec 16, 2007, 8:27:21 AM12/16/07
Heard that and found it interesting. But then again, it was Stracken
tslking but perhaps there is something to it. Of course who is Carbo to
complain about lack of offense from a Captain...Mr. 15 goals a year himself,
and a Captain to boot. He was a top scorer in the Q but never reached those
heights in the NHL nor even when with the Voyageurs in Halifax. Koivu
brings a lot of positive things to the Habs and has the characteristics of a
captain. That said, as a 1st line centre perhaps he's in over his head. He
seems to be a top 2nd liner and, IMO, there is nothing wrong with your
Captain being a 2nd liner.

"Jon202" <jon...@canadaaa.com> wrote in message

Mike

Dec 16, 2007, 9:34:57 AM12/16/07
He is all those things you mention except for one thing - he is not a #1
center - not anymore. Pleks has taken over that role IMHO.

crussellp

Dec 16, 2007, 10:50:26 AM12/16/07

MI5 bump

George O'Reilly

Dec 16, 2007, 11:35:09 AM12/16/07

"Mike" <mi...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> He is all those things you mention except for one thing - he is not a #1
> center - not anymore. Pleks has taken over that role IMHO.

Unfortunately thats correct. I say unfortunate since Pleks is also probably
only a quality 2nd line centre himself. In any event, your Captain need not
be a prolific scorer. Look at all the good D-men that are Captians. Hell,
Gainey was Captain and I don't think he got more than 23 goals in any one
year. If the Habs had a top notch 1st line centre scoring regularly and
Koivu was Captain there probably would'nt be a peep out of anyone.

davehx

Dec 16, 2007, 11:57:09 AM12/16/07
what the hell are you doing?

jeff.j...@gmail.com

Dec 16, 2007, 12:17:32 PM12/16/07
On Dec 16, 10:34 am, Mike <m...@gmail.com> wrote:

> He is all those things you mention except for one thing - he is not a #1
> center - not anymore. Pleks has taken over that role IMHO.

If Pleks is the #1, we would see opposing coaches use their top
defensemen and top centres or checking centres against him, right?
Guys like Phillips/Volchenkov, Sundin, Madden, Lydman/Tallinder.
Check the shift charts. NHL coaches treat Koivu as the Canadiens' #1
centre.

Jeff J

crussellp

Dec 16, 2007, 12:42:31 PM12/16/07
On Dec 16, 11:57 am, davehx <pleasedontspammesplooc...@gmail.com>
wrote:

LOL!!!

Just trying to bump the conversations above that mi5 drivel....

LOL!!!

bloke

Dec 16, 2007, 12:47:07 PM12/16/07
> If Pleks is the #1, we would see opposing coaches use their top
> defensemen and top centres or checking centres against him, right?
> Guys like Phillips/Volchenkov, Sundin, Madden, Lydman/Tallinder.
> Check the shift charts. NHL coaches treat Koivu as the Canadiens' #1
> centre.

Where can you find the shift charts?
NHL.com used to have them with the
scores but they stopped it this season.

Preacher

Dec 16, 2007, 12:52:36 PM12/16/07

"crussellp" <crus...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Ahhh, must be a google groups thing, trying to lift the "recently added to"
threads above the BS from that retard. I gotcha.

Have you not found datemas.de yet for a newsgroup server? If not, let me
know and I'll send you the info.

Steve

crussellp

Dec 16, 2007, 12:51:10 PM12/16/07
On Dec 16, 12:52 pm, "Preacher" <sdean53NOS...@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote:
> "crussellp" <crusse...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Please do! I would love to no have to see the multitudes of idiots
clogging up the NGs!

Preacher

Dec 16, 2007, 1:00:08 PM12/16/07

"crussellp" <crus...@gmail.com> wrote in message

The website to sign up is www.datemas.de , but unfortunately I haven't been
there in a while and it's all german/dutch text. Try sending them an email:

http://www.datemas.de/kontakt.html

Just say in english that you want a news account with them (it's free) and
they should send you an email. First three fields are name, nickname and
email, in the "Nachricht" box just type the reauest. They should send you a
password, and if you need help setting up just email me (don't want to
publicise all the info for everyone) and we'll get you set up.

Steve

Jon202

Dec 16, 2007, 2:18:15 PM12/16/07
bloke wrote:
> Where can you find the shift charts?
> NHL.com used to have them with the
> scores but they stopped it this season.

I noticed that too this season. Though I just found this nice
plugin/script for firefox that seems to to the trick:

http://www.timeonice.com/

Instructions at the bottom. Install the plugin, then install the
script, restart firfox and voila, go back to NHL.com and it's there.

Thurston Howell IV

Dec 16, 2007, 5:27:53 PM12/16/07
Been a good player over the years...but its time to trade him and get
some good young players in return.

thisbeit

Dec 17, 2007, 12:09:42 AM12/17/07

"Preacher" <sdean5...@NOSPAMcogeco.ca> wrote in message

I've been on Datemas for about 3 years. Excellent news server.
Unfortunately, they aren't accepting new users currently.

They've been on and off for a few days now because they've moved their NTTP
servers to Hanover Germany and have been goinfg through hiccups. Also,
their website is currently down for maintenance...