Why Do the Colts Love the Patriots? Re: Checky!

LunchLady

Apr 6, 2004, 8:13:43 PM4/6/04
silentbrett wrote:
>>Says you. I thought we were discussing the location?
>>

> Why again is this in the Indianapolis Colts forum?

This could be the most exciting thing to happen to the Colts forum since
Peyton Manning! Why be entertained by a man who is overpaid, chokes
when playing the big games, and has a slight case of turette's
syndrome.Why follow a team who threw all their cash at one player so
that the rest of the teams suffers, and no hope of signing any quality
free agents, when you can have Checkmate and myself here for practically
nothing?!

BTW, newsgroups restored.

LunchLady

Apr 6, 2004, 9:19:27 PM4/6/04
Checkmate wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Apr 2004 20:13:43 -0400, LunchLady put forth the notion
> that...
> Speak for yourself. I'm getting tired of working for chump change. You
> think I don't put a lot of effort into hand crafting the finest fag
> lames Usenet has ever seen?
>

>>BTW, newsgroups restored.

You have worked very hard at crafting your usenet talents. No one
appreciates a true cunning linguist..

LunchLady

Apr 9, 2004, 8:27:48 PM4/9/04
Pat Burke wrote:
> LunchLady <lovesfathe...@noemail.net> wrote in
>

>>silentbrett wrote:
>>
>>>Thanks for proving my point... BALEETED!
>>
>>What the hell does "baleeted" mean? Is this a secret code that only
>>Colts fans use? I can understand the lack of education that this fan
>>base has, you can't help but being yokels. It's kind of heart warming,
>>in a way..
>

> Excellent, we'll pencil you in for the annual possum-toss event.

>>>blah blah blah
>>
>>You snipped my post, and edited the ng line. Not nice, Brett. Perhaps
>>I'll stay for a bit and visit!
>

> This Brett individual appears to be sabotaging the ng line with
> additional periods.
>
> Most unromathian.
>
> Pat
>
> RESTORE MORA!!!

I totally agree. Editing posts and snipping the ng line is very bad
manners. But, you have to take it from the source, he's from Indiana.
Besides usenet, I'm sure his next favorite activity is sitting on the
front porch brushing his tooth.

marika

Apr 9, 2004, 10:23:10 PM4/9/04
silen...@aol.com (silentbrett) wrote in message news:<20040407215543...@mb-m11.aol.com>...

Normally today is a fast day, but I think it is ok to have chili
rellenos and a few margaritas at El Guapos on Good Friday in years
where Orthodox and non-orthodox good friday falls on the same day,
do't you?

> Thanks for proving my point... BALEETED!

Since this is a sports group, you must be talking about the newsstory
that made me so homesick last night.

http://www.thestar.com/NASApp/cs/ContentServer?pagename=thestar/Layout/Article_Type1&c=Article&cid=1081375812489&call_pageid=968867495754&col=969483191630

`Dancers, start your engines' in this here ballet
Around they go, until they crash

High culture seeks hill-country fans

CHRIS KAHN
ASSOCIATED PRESS

ROANOKE, Va.—The race has gone for almost an hour, and dancers leaping
in their bright jumpsuits have started to crash like a squadron of
misfit superheroes.

Choreographer Jenny Mansfield frowns. They're supposed to look like
race cars, she says, not superheroes. Two weeks before the debut of
her new ballet, her dancers still haven't mastered the part. "C'mon,
get your arms right," she calls out, demonstrating with a complex
twist and flex of her wrist.

Dancing ballet in this small Virginia city of 95,000 can be a
mind-bending experience. Hoping to reach a wider audience in the
Appalachian highlands, Mansfield's Roanoke Ballet Theatre company has
had dancers pirouette to bluegrass music and prance along the sides of
buildings, suspended from ropes.

Her latest creation, a ballet for NASCAR fans, aims at a sub-culture
that has been especially hard to get into the theatre.

"In this business, you've got to take chances," Mansfield says as her
dancers start swirling around the track again. "The Nutcrackers of the
world don't interest me any more.''

Mansfield's NASCAR Ballet will play April 15 and 17, just in time for
the April 18 Winston Cup race in nearby Martinsville. Just maybe, she
says, race fans will take a break from the action and venture north to
see something that's new, yet familiar.

At the wave of the starting flag, 30 dancers will round an oval-shaped
stage to New Age music punctuated with the sounds of revving engines.
Their suits will be festooned with logos from the show's sponsors.
Above, three giant TV screens will show the action from different
camera angles while a local sports anchor gives a live play-by-play.

"My friends say, `What kind of dances are you performing now?' and I
say, `NASCAR,'" says dancer Unur Gunaajav, 35, who previously
performed in Russia and his native Mongolia. "They say, `What?'''

Gunaajav, who plays the pace car, and most other dancers knew little
about auto racing before signing on to the show. At rehearsals, the
dancers passed around a NASCAR For Dummies book, learning the finer
points to one of America's fastest-growing sports. They watched videos
of Winston Cup races in their spare time. Some even cracked open the
sports section of the newspaper.

"It got my blood boiling," dancer Liza Fritz, 35, says. "The
intricacies of the car, the way they maneuvred around each other —
NASCAR became beautiful.''

NASCAR rep Jim Hunter is interested in seeing how the dance turns out.
"Though, to be honest," he says, "I've attended the ballet only a
couple of times.

"But I guess our sport is a lot like a ballet. There are a finely
tuned series of quick movements at pit stops, or while making passes
on the track.''

For a former rail hub, located 300 kilometres from Richmond at the
foot of the Appalachian Mountains, Roanoke has a surprising artistic
tradition.

It is home to the oldest symphony in Virginia. Opera, theatre and
ballet companies have operated for decades with the backing of a
private arts foundation, and numerous painters and sculptors have
shown their work in lofts above the farmers' market.

A new 900-seat performance hall and a museum dedicated to locomotive
photographer O. Winston Link opened recently. The art museum also
plans to build a $50 million (U.S.) centre for galleries and an IMAX
theatre. Mansfield, a 35-year-old modern dancer, leans forward and
grins as she recalls the first time she played bluegrass at a ballet:
"The audience went crazy. They were hooting and clapping, just going
insane.''

She came to Roanoke nine years ago hoping to shake things up. But it
wasn't until her bluegrass ballets that she began to expand her
audience.

Mansfield next started thinking of NASCAR. "I realized it was
ridiculous for us to just present things and expect people to come.
You've got to go out and find what people want to see and present it
in a dance format. It just makes sense.''

At one of her rehearsals, dancers in purple, blue, yellow, green,
pink, red and silver jumpsuits whirl around the track, in lifts and
leaps. They need to build enough stamina to keep this up for a
90-minute show.

After a few revolutions, a dancer in silver falls to the floor. It's a
crash — a choreographed one this time — and a pit crew of teenage
girls meets him in the centre. He's lifted, then rotated off stage as
the crew log rolls underneath. The race continues. After jockeying for
position, the cars are off again.

"I always thought NASCAR was for guys with beer bellies who ate
chicken wings and watched too much TV," dancer Beth Deel, 30, says.
"Just like ballet, people automatically assume what it is before they
really learn about it. My opinion has changed.''

Fritz hopes that the NASCAR drivers themselves have a chance to see
what the dancers have done.

"This is a love letter to them," she says.

See also

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A59830-2004Apr7.html

and

http://www.cleveland.com/entertainment/plaindealer/index.ssf?/base/entertainment/108152253086540.xml

mk5000

"I'm gonna soak up the sun
I'm gonna tell everyone
To lighten up (I'm gonna tell 'em that)
I've got no one to blame" -- allegedly lyrics by Sheryl Crow, but we
all really know it is from a poem by Wim whatsis from when he was in
Hollins College in Roanoke. Ok so she paid him for it. No wait, that
was all I want to do, not Soak up the Sun. I think, anyway.