49ers drop ball against Broncos

John Walsh

Oct 20, 2014, 2:05:21 AM10/20/14
49ers drop ball against Broncos
By Jimmy Durkin

jdu...@bayareanewsgroup.com

They did a lot more than just drop four passes. They didn't run well,
didn't pass well enough, pass or run block well. In essence, they
were beaten in every phase of the game.

http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_26760952/49ers-drop-ball-against-broncos

It's nice that Davis takes some of the blame for the dropped pass, but
firing a fastball from short distance isn't the easiest right way to
help your receiver catch the damn ball.
Message has been deleted

John Walsh

Oct 20, 2014, 2:49:58 AM10/20/14
On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 23:43:15 -0700, Yertle <yer...@sala.ma.sond>
wrote:

>On Sun, 19 Oct 2014 20:05:21 -1000, John Walsh <jwal...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>They did a lot more than just drop four passes. They didn't run well,
>>didn't pass well enough, pass or run block well. In essence, they
>>were beaten in every phase of the game.
>
>Yup - they just got their asses kicked. The way the OL played was a
>particular concern.
>
>>http://www.mercurynews.com/49ers/ci_26760952/49ers-drop-ball-against-broncos
>>
>>It's nice that Davis takes some of the blame for the dropped pass, but
>>firing a fastball from short distance isn't the easiest right way to
>>help your receiver catch the damn ball.
>
>Kaepernick can take the blame for that brutal INT, but the drop by
>Davis was on Davis - that pass wasn't short, it was a good throw right
>into his hands and he dropped it. I'm not sure how Davis' injury could
>have affected that drop - it looked more like he was hearing footsteps
>and looked up anticipating a hit before he caught the ball.

It's called bending your body to receive the ball. You've never hurt
your back and see now it limits nearly everything you do? When you're
stiff, you don't reach quite as far as you normally do.

You can't adjust as fast to a ball coming in and Kaepernick does throw
the ball too hard in a lot of cases. Missed the part about how they
glorified the speed of the passes he threw?

a425couple

Oct 20, 2014, 1:13:50 PM10/20/14

"John Walsh" <jwal...@gmail.com> wrote in message
Did I hear they were saying 68 MPH? !!
Shit, that does not make it easy!

yertle.of....@gmail.com

Oct 20, 2014, 2:48:22 PM10/20/14
On Sunday, October 19, 2014 11:49:58 PM UTC-7, John Walsh wrote:

> You can't adjust as fast to a ball coming in and Kaepernick does throw
>
> the ball too hard in a lot of cases. Missed the part about how they
>
> glorified the speed of the passes he threw?

Kaepernick had to throw into some very small windows last night - the Broncos secondary did a great job in coverage last night, especially Talib. And I've already mentioned how impressive Roby looked. Kaepernick did a great job in the first half, lasering passes through tight coverages - but receivers have to do their job. They can't all be soft, easy passes lofted over the heads of badly beaten cover guys.

If VD was so hurt he couldn't catch passes which hit his hands like that, he should not have played.

John Walsh

Oct 20, 2014, 6:19:20 PM10/20/14
I think that was the highest speed. That's barely good for baseball,
but a little high for football. In short yardage the ball doesn't have
enough to decelerate and become easy to catch. Might be why the ball
tends to clang off the hands.

John Walsh

Oct 20, 2014, 6:25:09 PM10/20/14
He did a barely credible job in the first half. He had one good drive
before the half for a score and that's pretty much it. Once they
started cranking up the pressure, his game came apart.

Tight coverage requires precise placement, not ramming speed, lol. :)
True, Davis probably shouldn't have been in there, but there isn't any
depth at TE so what where they supposed to do?

When it comes to that kind of problem, the QB tunes his passes so they
arrive in a spot where the TE doesn't have to twist to get it, or bend
to get it. That was Joe's strong suit and he threw a very catchable
ball, right?

skep...@aol.com

Oct 20, 2014, 6:37:58 PM10/20/14
I thought in that crossing pattern that VD heard foot steps too. The 49ers couldn't run, and that changed everything.

John Walsh

Oct 20, 2014, 6:52:41 PM10/20/14
Hard to say. He's best going down field around the end on a drag
route. He's facing the defense and the best way to get the ball is
back shoulder pass that drops into the hands.

He's not getting those anymore. That hurts catches and stats. He's
still a fast receiver for a TE, but that hardly matters if he's force
to catch the ball on a crossing pattern.
Message has been deleted

John Walsh

Nov 1, 2014, 10:51:56 PM11/1/14
On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 17:44:16 -0700, Yertle <yer...@sala.ma.sond>
wrote:

>On Mon, 20 Oct 2014 12:25:09 -1000, John Walsh <jwal...@gmail.com>
>wrote:
>
>>He did a barely credible job in the first half. He had one good drive
>>before the half for a score and that's pretty much it.
>
>You weren't watching the same game as me. Kaepernick was throwing some
>of the most accurate passes he's thrown all season, threading the ball
>to receivers through tight coverage. Boldin's drop on the 3 yard line
>was a certain TD reception if he'd hung on - that drive ended up as a
>FG. And Davis's drop was a catch that would have gained about 30 yards
>and put the 49ers into Denver territory.
>
>>Tight coverage requires precise placement, not ramming speed, lol. :)
>
>Those passes were thrown with authority, they weren't grenade
>launched. And they had to be thrown with authority - the Denver
>coverage didn't give Kaepernick much time or room to work with.

They don't have to be thrown with metaphorical authority. They just
have to be placed where the receiver catches them best. With Davis,
it's moving down the field and over the shoulder. He usually takes the
pass at the end of his cross and turned slightly down the field so he
is moving forward, where his speed becomes an asset.

>Blaming drops of perfectly thrown passes because they were "thrown too
>hard" is nothing any pro receiver would ever say, and nothing any
>coach is ever going to accept. Crabtree and Davis have played with
>Kaepernick for two years now, Boldin for one - they know how hard he
>throws. Catch the ball - it's all they're there for.

And Davis hasn't been getting the ball with any regularity the last
two years. Don't you think repetition works into this? You catch
the ball and you keep catching it and get better at it for repeating
it.

>>True, Davis probably shouldn't have been in there, but there isn't any
>>depth at TE so what where they supposed to do?
>>
>>When it comes to that kind of problem, the QB tunes his passes so they
>>arrive in a spot where the TE doesn't have to twist to get it, or bend
>>to get it. That was Joe's strong suit and he threw a very catchable
>>ball, right?

>I've been on Kaepernick for not throwing accurately and not putting
>his receivers in position to gain yards with the ball. That wasn't the
>issue in the first half last night (or in the Rams game last week) -
>Kaepernick was getting the ball where it needed to be. The problem was
>the drops.

Getting the ball where it belongs still omits the obvious problem of
putting it there in a way that makes it catchable. Dropping the ball
was Davis' problem when he startered, but not a problem until the last
couple of years. He's not being use to his best ability.
Message has been deleted