A third of Americans less likely to watch NFL games due to anthem protests

a425couple

Sep 28, 2017, 2:00:10 PM9/28/17
(I can not understand the NFL owners allowing the media
to focus in on actions that so badly damage their asset
and their earnings.
Watching football is an entertainment and an escape,
mixing in political drama is a BAD IDEA.)

A third of Americans less likely to watch NFL games due to anthem protests

By Jennifer Harper - The Washington Times - Sunday, September 24, 2017

“Are football fans voting with their TVs?” asks a new Rasmussen Reports
survey. “As the NFL struggles to explain this season’s downturn in
viewer ratings, 34 percent of American adults say they are less likely
to watch an NFL game because of the growing number of protests by
players on the field,” the poll reports, noting that 12 percent say they
are more likely to watch, while half say the protests have no effect on
their viewing decisions.
“Interestingly, there’s little difference of opinion on the protests and
NFL viewing habits among whites, blacks and other minority adults,” the
poll said.
“These numbers are little changed from October of last year after Colin
Kaepernick, then a quarterback for the San Francisco 49ers, initiated
the protests, citing racial and police brutality issues.”

The “take a knee” phenomenon now spans politics, sports, sociology,
entertainment, media, faith and even economics. Professional athletes
kneeling to protest the “Star Spangled Banner” to draw attention to
police brutality and racism has become a cultural force — fueled by
nonstop news coverage of President Trump’s public condemnation of the
practice. Complaints are emerging, however. Some analysts say the press
is fixated on the collision between the White House and the sports world
— and virtually nothing else. A few critics blame Mr. Trump for
inspiring this one-track narrative. One analyst, however, faults the
journalists.

“The media’s obsession with Trump and the eyeballs his feuds and
bombastic tweets bring to their stations and publications are to blame.
The media has a choice in what they cover. The hand-wringing over what
stories get attention is an ongoing point of contention for journalists
and news outlets. Trump acts and the media reacts, rather than reports,”
writes RedState political correspondent Andrea Ruth.

“When Trump is on offense, the media is reflexively defensive and
scandalized. And to some extent, vice versa, reminiscent of a football
game. Politics is a spectator sport and with Trump, the media is the
other team. The media still has not realized that Trump is Trump. Trump
isn’t going to stop being Trump-y. The media can cover whatever stories
it wants. But, blaming Trump for their inability to stop or tone down
their obsession with the man, and continually freak-out, is ridiculous,”
Ms. Ruth says, even as the story takes on new dimensions.

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/24/inside-the-beltway-take-a-knee-and-either-pray-or-/

Nunya Bidnits

Sep 28, 2017, 5:06:38 PM9/28/17
On 9/28/2017 11:59 AM, a425couple wrote:
> (I can not understand the NFL owners allowing the media
> to focus in on actions that so badly damage their asset
> and their earnings.
> Watching football is an entertainment and an escape,
> mixing in political drama is a BAD IDEA.)
>
> A third of Americans less likely to watch NFL games due to anthem protests

I am considering bagging it for this year and just watching college.
President Trump - PWNS them totally!

> “When Trump is on offense, the media is reflexively defensive and
> scandalized. And to some extent, vice versa, reminiscent of a football
> game. Politics is a spectator sport and with Trump, the media is the
> other team. The media still has not realized that Trump is Trump. Trump
> isn’t going to stop being Trump-y. The media can cover whatever stories
> it wants. But, blaming Trump for their inability to stop or tone down
> their obsession with the man, and continually freak-out, is ridiculous,”
> Ms. Ruth says, even as the story takes on new dimensions.
>
> http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2017/sep/24/inside-the-beltway-take-a-knee-and-either-pray-or-/

Now the lamestream boobies are actually blaming, wait for it...the
RUSSIANS for making this news, no...really!

:-0

Gary Rosen

Sep 30, 2017, 3:49:27 AM9/30/17
This isn't as surprising at it sounds. You don't have to be white
or a fervent Trump supporter just to want to be able to watch a
damn football game without being confronted by the divisive
politics of the day. It is mind-boggling that NFL owners could not
figure this out (as you said elsewhere in your post).

My 49er-centric take on this is that it's all the fault of the Yorks,
as usual. If Eddie had still owned the team, as soon as Kaep started
popping off he would have called him in and said,"You're here to
play football, not politics. Now cut the crap". And it would have
ended right there.

poldy

Sep 30, 2017, 10:07:46 PM9/30/17
His was a pretty passive protest.

He didn't feel like going along with business as usual by standing for
the anthem.

He's not getting in people's face with signs or anything like that.

Sure the NFL could try to suppress that. But it would stand apart from
the NBA and other sports for suppressing speech.

John Walsh

Sep 30, 2017, 10:29:08 PM9/30/17
Is there a poll that says that 1/3 of the fans are less likely to
watch NFL games due to anthem protests? Watch on TV or in person?
That sounds like an unrealistically high number.

As for what Eddie would have done? Reality is, he lost the team and
owners today walk a thin line with telling what players do about
social issues.

To have the Orange Idiot weigh in on the protest and use it as another
wedge to further divide the people of this country is ridiculous.

People have short memories when it comes to social protest, the flag
and what was acceptable. Anyone have fond memories of the 60's and
70's when the country tore itself apart over Vietnam?

The brouhaha over protesting during the anthem is minor compared to
what happened in the past. The only person benefiting from all of this
is the fucking idiot in the White House.

cao

Sep 30, 2017, 10:51:02 PM9/30/17

"John Walsh" wrote in message
******

So there you have it...should you be allowed to call the President a fucking
idiot on a public newsgroup? Is that what free speech means? I suppose I
have to defend you since I am an American and, although I disagree with you
I will defend until the death....ah, you know the rest. Oh wait...those
rules don't apply anymore because they were written by xenophobic white
racist slave owners. LIberals love to label, don't they.

Answer this...what would the reaction be to players performing some pregame
protest about abortion (because of their religious beliefs), or refusing to
wear the pink breast cancer ribbon (because it implies preferential
treatment to women)? Does lung cancer have a ribbon?

This crap has gone on long enough.

Nunya Bidnits

Sep 30, 2017, 11:17:34 PM9/30/17
On 9/30/2017 8:07 PM, poldy wrote:
> Sure the NFL could try to suppress that.  But it would stand apart from
> the NBA and other sports for suppressing speech.

Um, huh?!?!?!

https://nypost.com/2017/09/30/nba-players-must-stand-for-national-anthem/

NBA: Players must stand for national anthem

Nunya Bidnits

Sep 30, 2017, 11:20:17 PM9/30/17
On 9/30/2017 8:29 PM, John Walsh wrote:
> On Sat, 30 Sep 2017 00:49:18 -0700, "Gary Rosen"
> <garym...@comcast.net> wrote:
>
>> This isn't as surprising at it sounds. You don't have to be white
>> or a fervent Trump supporter just to want to be able to watch a
>> damn football game without being confronted by the divisive
>> politics of the day. It is mind-boggling that NFL owners could not
>> figure this out (as you said elsewhere in your post).
>>
>> My 49er-centric take on this is that it's all the fault of the Yorks,
>> as usual. If Eddie had still owned the team, as soon as Kaep started
>> popping off he would have called him in and said,"You're here to
>> play football, not politics. Now cut the crap". And it would have
>> ended right there.
>>
>> "a425couple" wrote in message news:oqjda...@news4.newsguy.com...
>>
>> “Interestingly, there’s little difference of opinion on the protests and
>> NFL viewing habits among whites, blacks and other minority adults,” the
>> poll said.
>
> Is there a poll that says that 1/3 of the fans are less likely to
> watch NFL games due to anthem protests?

Yes.

Watch on TV or in person?

Yes.

> That sounds like an unrealistically high number.

It's not.

> As for what Eddie would have done? Reality is, he lost the team and
> owners today walk a thin line with telling what players do about
> social issues.

Gutless ninnies!

> To have the Orange Idiot weigh in on the protest and use it as another
> wedge to further divide the people of this country is ridiculous.

WHo STARTED the disrespect of our National Anthem and flag?

Trump?

Or misguided young brainwashed men?

> People have short memories when it comes to social protest, the flag
> and what was acceptable. Anyone have fond memories of the 60's and
> 70's when the country tore itself apart over Vietnam?

Not fond, no.

> The brouhaha over protesting during the anthem is minor compared to
> what happened in the past.

No, it is NOT!

It is outright DISRESPECT of our veterans who have done NOTHING to
deserve such treatment!

> The only person benefiting from all of this
> is the fucking idiot in the White House.

YOU are a FUCKING IDIOT and a TRAITOR!

DIE YOU TREASONOUS BASTARD!

Nunya Bidnits

Sep 30, 2017, 11:21:20 PM9/30/17
Indeed it has, and YOU sir are a PATRIOT!

Tall can Walsh belongs in a urinal eating breath mints.

Nunya Bidnits

Oct 1, 2017, 12:18:55 PM10/1/17
On 9/30/2017 8:29 PM, John Walsh wrote:
> Is there a poll that says that 1/3 of the fans are less likely to
> watch NFL games due to anthem protests? Watch on TV or in person?
> That sounds like an unrealistically high number.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-government/2017/10/01/devastating-poll-nfl-80-percent-say-theyll-watch-less-football-53-percent-support-trump/

The National Football League (NFL) may have more than a passing
controversy on its hands as it continues to grapple with fans’ reaction
to the players and staff “take a knee” protest during the national
anthem before games.
Yahoo Finance headlined its story about its poll with a finding of 62
percent of respondents who said they will watch less football — a
percentage Yahoo determined based on how certain questions were answered
or not answered:

“Here are the full survey results. The number of responses varies from
question to question because some respondents skipped questions or were
directed further down the survey based on answers they gave. A note
about the results: In Question 9, 80% of respondents said they plan to
watch less football on TV. But that’s only among people who answered yes
to Question 8, asking if they have changed their behavior. When
including the people who answered no to Question 8, the portion saying
they plan to watch less football drops to 62%.”

But looking directly at results for each question on the survey also
reveals that a majority of respondents said would watch less football
and that they support President Donald Trump’s decision to speak out
against the protests.

The raw data shows that when asked, “What has changed about your
relationship with the NFL?” 80 percent said they will watch less
football on TV because of the controversy and more than 53 percent said
they are more supportive of Trump since his remarks last month that the
protests are disrespectful to the U.S., its flag and the men and women
in the military and law enforcement who sacrifice to protect all Americans.

In fact, 77 percent said they believe it is wrong for players to kneel
during the national anthem — a protest begun in 2016 by a former NFL
player who claimed he kneeled because of social injustice in the U.S.

It’s also noteworthy that 79 percent of respondents said they are a
football fan, which Yahoo Finance explained is a statistic in keeping
with its decision to only survey people who “patronize the NFL.”

“Those findings all have financial implications for the NFL and its 32
team owners,” Yahoo Finance reported.

Calling it “one of the most divisive social issues in recent years,”
Yahoo Finance said of its poll:

“In our survey, we wanted to suss out whether the anthem flap could deal
a lasting financial hit to the NFL. The answers suggest it could. When
we asked fans if the controversy would make them more or less supportive
of the NFL, 71% said less and only 15% said more. Of those who said they
are now less supportive, 74% said their change of heart was permanent,
and only 3% said they felt it was temporary.”

Gary Rosen

Oct 2, 2017, 1:07:10 AM10/2/17
That says a lot that the NBA whose audience is much more urban/blue-state
figured it out before the NFL could.