That really is an ugly stadium in Santa Clara.

Tony Gray

Nov 28, 2014, 2:20:52 PM11/28/14
Candlestick may have been old but it looked good from a distance.

John Walsh

Nov 28, 2014, 2:41:35 PM11/28/14
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 20:17:59 +0100 (CET), "Tony Gray"
<gr...@bayside.com> wrote:

>Candlestick may have been old but it looked good from a distance.

You must be one of those architecturally challenged Einsteins my
father warned me about. Candlestick look good from a distance?
Probably true if you want to play the game outside the stadium.
Message has been deleted

John Walsh

Nov 28, 2014, 7:05:47 PM11/28/14
On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 14:10:18 -0800, Yertle <yer...@sala.ma.sond>
wrote:

>On Fri, 28 Nov 2014 20:17:59 +0100 (CET), "Tony Gray"
><gr...@bayside.com> wrote:
>
>>Candlestick may have been old but it looked good from a distance.
>
>Unless you're talking about the distance from the Earth to Proxima
>Centauri, you're wrong. Candlestick was an eyesore, run-down and
>decrepit, and a terrible place to watch a football game. Or a baseball
>game. Or Paul McCartney. Or anything else besides the demolition.

Amazing how a stadium shows up after a Niner loss to the Seachickens.
:)

skep...@aol.com

Nov 30, 2014, 11:32:13 PM11/30/14
From the outside Levis stadium looks like a Mexican tractor shed, from the inside the stairs are steep, but the view of the field is gorgeous, --the stadium is not expensive looking like the Palace in Dallas, but functional and straight line views, practical, (looking like the designers were saving money) the stadium was designed for viewing the field. Except for the corrugated tin over the concession areas, practical is just fine.

John Walsh

Dec 1, 2014, 12:54:34 PM12/1/14
It's a stadium, why should money be put into making it look glossy?
You're right, it's straight forward and function, just what it should
be. Getting more people closer to the game is the reason for the
steepness of the stands. When you think about it, the set the lower
stands right up close to the stadium bowl and everything went up from
there. Nobody is far from the game like you find in many of the
modern stadium.

I didn't care for the steep steps, another design compromise to get
people closer, but if I can get up them with two bad knees, most
people can.

Well, maybe excepting the fat guy with six beers. He almost didn't
make it and it was a toss up as to whether we were going to have to
call EMS to rescusitate the guy.

Lose the stereotype, the stadium looks fine from outside. It'll grow
on you as time passes, just as I.M. Pei's pyramid design did at the
Louvre in Paris. The French were outraged at what he designed and
built, but now it's warmly embraced by them and tourists from around
the world. :)

Maybe that's why the crowds are quieter than at the Stick. After all,
when you're worn out from climbing up to the seats, you're too tired
to cheer ... but not to boo (as I heard during the last game).