Não é mais possível fazer postagens ou usar assinaturas novas da Usenet nos Grupos do Google. O conteúdo histórico continua disponível.

49ers take Sam Bradford...?

1 visualização
Pular para a primeira mensagem não lida

Morph The Cat

não lida,
17 de dez. de 2008, 01:31:3617/12/2008
para
http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
-----------------
-----------------

Greg Lentz

não lida,
17 de dez. de 2008, 13:30:4217/12/2008
para
I would hope not. Let someone else waste all that money on a first round
QB.
--
Greg Lentz

pause8cafe

não lida,
17 de dez. de 2008, 15:29:4317/12/2008
para
On Dec 16, 10:31 pm, Morph The Cat <squirrlyl...@comcast.net> wrote:
> http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
> -----------------www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com- *Completion*Retention*Speed*

> Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road
> -----------------

While there is a need at quarterback, I wouldn't use a first round
pick
and the money that it commands on one.

Ron

não lida,
17 de dez. de 2008, 16:09:5017/12/2008
para
In article <k9hik456drdsj7co6...@4ax.com>,
Greg Lentz <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote:

> I would hope not. Let someone else waste all that money on a first round
> QB.

The Niners need to a QB of the future, somebody they can put on the
bench for a year or two.

I hate the idea of using a top pick on a QB, it's just too risky. Once
you get into the second half of the first round, though, it starts
making more sense. So 10 is a little high for my comfort level - not
ridiculously so, but somewhat.

Bradford is young. Two seasons of college ball is not a lot. I can
understand the arguments for and against taking him, but, more
importantly, if the Niners aren't going to take a QB in the first round
(which is a totally justifiable decision) then they better have another
plan for landing one.

Who's the 2nd- or 3rd- round guy who's they're planning to take and
develop? Is there a FA they want? (Let's face it: no FA QB we want who
might conceivably be available - even Matt Cassell - is particularly
"safe" even compared to a relatively high draft pick. A lot of guys -
see Derek Anderson - have looked like the man for a few games or even a
season, then regressed.)

If there's the right DL available, we go that way. Obviously, we need a
safety upgrade ... but that's pretty high to take one. Is there our RT
of the future in that spot in the draft? Another tempting choice. That
seems pretty high to take a WR, as well - especially because I have some
confidence in Morgan and Hill going forward.

Evaluating QBs might be the hardest off-the-field job in the NFL, since
their performance is so dependent on factors outside of their control.
But for better or for worse, we need one ... so the question is, who do
we go for? What's the plan?

-Ron

Malcontent

não lida,
17 de dez. de 2008, 16:25:0517/12/2008
para

Doesn't matter what position you take this high, they are going to
command a lot of money, now I don't like Bradford as a prospect, but
if Matthew Stafford were to fall to us then it would be dumb to not
take him.

Ideal 49ers draft would be

1. Everette Brown DE/OLB
2. Eben Britton RT
3. Domonique Johnson CB
4. Ron Brace NT
5. Tom Brandstater QB
6. Cornelius Lewis OT
7. Darcel McBath FS

Greg Lentz

não lida,
17 de dez. de 2008, 16:25:4317/12/2008
para
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 13:09:50 -0800, Ron <ronald...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>In article <k9hik456drdsj7co6...@4ax.com>,
> Greg Lentz <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
>> I would hope not. Let someone else waste all that money on a first round
>> QB.
>
>The Niners need to a QB of the future, somebody they can put on the
>bench for a year or two.

The Niners need a QB of the future and a veteran backup.

>Who's the 2nd- or 3rd- round guy who's they're planning to take and
>develop? Is there a FA they want? (Let's face it: no FA QB we want who
>might conceivably be available - even Matt Cassell - is particularly
>"safe" even compared to a relatively high draft pick. A lot of guys -
>see Derek Anderson - have looked like the man for a few games or even a
>season, then regressed.)

Well, in Anderson's case, that's not surprising. It was more surprising
that he ever had a good year.

>If there's the right DL available, we go that way. Obviously, we need a
>safety upgrade ... but that's pretty high to take one.

Unless he's very good. Ronnie Lott was a #8 pick.

>Is there our RT of the future in that spot in the draft?

A good lineman on either side of the ball would be my preference. After
that, a cornerback. After that, a WR.

>Another tempting choice. That
>seems pretty high to take a WR, as well - especially because I have some
>confidence in Morgan and Hill going forward.

Both those guys are likely #2 guys. We need a #1 guy. I would probably
look to free agency for that if I could though.

>Evaluating QBs might be the hardest off-the-field job in the NFL, since
>their performance is so dependent on factors outside of their control.
>But for better or for worse, we need one ... so the question is, who do
>we go for? What's the plan?

Maybe take Chase Daniel on the second day. Kinda the same issues as Shaun
Hill, but quicker.
--
Greg Lentz

donotspam-...@email.com

não lida,
17 de dez. de 2008, 17:34:1317/12/2008
para
Malcontent skrev:

Hmm, QB named Tom, picked in the fifth round......sounds familiar. Good
plan :)

MK

Greg Lentz

não lida,
17 de dez. de 2008, 18:19:2717/12/2008
para

Brady was a sixth round draft pick.
--
Greg Lentz

A mensagem foi excluída

Greg Lentz

não lida,
17 de dez. de 2008, 19:44:2617/12/2008
para
On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:35:02 -0800, Terri Schiavo's Feeding Tube
<m...@privacy.net> wrote:

>In article <cvqik4t6somovd7o6...@4ax.com>,

> Greg Lentz <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote:
>
>> Unless he's very good. Ronnie Lott was a #8 pick.
>

>Ronnie Lott was selected as a corner and played corner for his first
>four years. He was a better safety but he was indeed, selected as a
>corner.

Next, you'll be telling me Earl Cooper was selected as a running back and
think that it's news to me.
--
Greg Lentz

JW

não lida,
17 de dez. de 2008, 21:15:0117/12/2008
para

A ridiculous waste of a high draft pick when they already have Hill.
Hill may not be a long term answer, but he knows the job better than
Branford or any other high QB draft pick. Perhaps draft countdown has
forgotten about Alex Smith?

Gary Rosen

não lida,
18 de dez. de 2008, 01:30:2218/12/2008
para

"Ron" <ronald...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Maybe you should never pick a QB in the first round because you can
get a good one in a later round - Unitas, Montana, Brady. Yes there
have been some great ones high in the draft like Elway and Manning.
But some even questioned Manning at the time and thought #2
pick Ryan Leaf was going to be better - we know how that turned
out.

It might be better, or at least less risky, to pick a defensive player
in the first round. Their performance is more directly related to
athletic ability that can be measured and less on "intangibles". Of
course those intangibles always come into play, but nowhere more
than at QB.

- Gary Rosen

Malcontent

não lida,
18 de dez. de 2008, 03:25:0418/12/2008
para

Shawn Hill is a good interim QB and backup when we find our franchise
QB, the 49ers would be dumb to pass on Stafford if he falls to us
(highly unlikely), but Bradford comes from a gimmick offense, much
like that of what Alex Smith played in.

Bradford has one of the best Offensive lines in College so he has all
day to make passes.

If the 49ers believe that Alex Smith is the answer then they should
ignore QB until the 5th or 6th round and take a 3rd string QB to
replace Just Turn Overs.

donotspam-...@email.com

não lida,
18 de dez. de 2008, 05:11:1918/12/2008
para
Greg Lentz skrev:

Oh, you learn something new every day.
Thanks for correction.

MK

Ron

não lida,
18 de dez. de 2008, 16:49:5618/12/2008
para
In article <1acjk4h5a5s705mlu...@4ax.com>,
JW <Jo...@clearwire.net> wrote:

> A ridiculous waste of a high draft pick when they already have Hill.
> Hill may not be a long term answer, but he knows the job better than
> Branford or any other high QB draft pick. Perhaps draft countdown has
> forgotten about Alex Smith?

The idea would be that whomever you draft - first round or not - you
stash them on the bench for two years while they get up to speed on the
NFL.

Barring some drastic change or a major FA signing, Hill is our starter
going into next year, and quite possibly the year after that, regardless
of where we draft a QB.

Obviously, it's better to take somebody in the second or third round if
you're equally confident about them - and given the iffy historical
performance of top-pick QBs, it's hard to say why you shouldn't be. But
let's also remember that Alex Smith was, even at the time, one of the
more dubious top-pick QBs in recent years.

-Ron

poldy

não lida,
18 de dez. de 2008, 23:46:3318/12/2008
para
In article <fh1kk45rg56sku4hv...@4ax.com>,
Malcontent <malcon...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Shawn Hill is a good interim QB and backup when we find our franchise
> QB, the 49ers would be dumb to pass on Stafford if he falls to us
> (highly unlikely), but Bradford comes from a gimmick offense, much
> like that of what Alex Smith played in.
>
> Bradford has one of the best Offensive lines in College so he has all
> day to make passes.

That's what Chris Mortensen said that NFL scouts think, that Bradford is
never pressured so he hasn't been tested like he will be in the NFL.

Hell Jason White was very productive at OU but couldn't even make it out
of the combines.

But from what little I've seen of Bradford, he can hit some tight
windows in the short and medium passing game, not just hit the big
plays. Stoops seems surprised at his accuracy.

Still the NFL scouts Mortensen referred to think he might be another
Leinart. Not a bust yet but certainly hasn't lived up to the hype,
including his own expectations.

As for Stafford, I don't understand why he's rated so high. He's got
toughness and was apparently very touted coming out of high school. But
he doesn't put up big numbers and in one or two games I've seen, he was
missing some wide open guys.

Maybe because of Jay Cutler's success in the NFL (despite not doing much
in college) they are looking at Stafford's physical tools and mental
toughness?

poldy

não lida,
18 de dez. de 2008, 23:51:0318/12/2008
para
In article
<668ffa47-3346-43fa...@40g2000prx.googlegroups.com>,
pause8cafe <pause...@gmail.com> wrote:

49er fans should be soured after Alex Smith.

But then you have Matt Ryan or Eli Manning.

It'd be great if you can find the Bradys or the Romos or Warners in the
lower rounds every year but that doesn't happen.

Don't necessarily draft a QB in the first round but don't necessarily
rule it out.

Malcontent

não lida,
19 de dez. de 2008, 01:29:2219/12/2008
para
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 20:46:33 -0800, poldy <po...@kfu.com> wrote:

>In article <fh1kk45rg56sku4hv...@4ax.com>,
> Malcontent <malcon...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Shawn Hill is a good interim QB and backup when we find our franchise
>> QB, the 49ers would be dumb to pass on Stafford if he falls to us
>> (highly unlikely), but Bradford comes from a gimmick offense, much
>> like that of what Alex Smith played in.
>>
>> Bradford has one of the best Offensive lines in College so he has all
>> day to make passes.
>
>That's what Chris Mortensen said that NFL scouts think, that Bradford is
>never pressured so he hasn't been tested like he will be in the NFL.
>
>Hell Jason White was very productive at OU but couldn't even make it out
>of the combines.
>
>But from what little I've seen of Bradford, he can hit some tight
>windows in the short and medium passing game, not just hit the big
>plays. Stoops seems surprised at his accuracy.

Alex Smith put up very similar completion percentage as Bradford. The
system that these QB's come from inflate their numbers.

>Still the NFL scouts Mortensen referred to think he might be another
>Leinart. Not a bust yet but certainly hasn't lived up to the hype,
>including his own expectations.
>

>As for Stafford, I don't understand why he's rated so high. He's got
>toughness and was apparently very touted coming out of high school. But
>he doesn't put up big numbers and in one or two games I've seen, he was
>missing some wide open guys.

He doesn't have the best line, he plays in a pro-style offense which
is much more complicated for College QB's to learn then a system that
Bradford, McCoy, Tebow played in, he has a strong and accurate arm.
His weakness though is his decision making, but much of that comes
with repetition and where in College he has other things he has to
worry about besides football like school work, when he goes
professional he will get all the reps he can handle to get the reps he
needs to be an NFL QB.

>Maybe because of Jay Cutler's success in the NFL (despite not doing much
>in college) they are looking at Stafford's physical tools and mental
>toughness?

This argument goes back to 2005 and the Smith vs Rogers debate, Smith
was the project QB that had higher upside, Rogers was the more ready
for the NFL QB, except that both Stafford and Bradford are better
prospects then Smith/Rogers.

Greg Lentz

não lida,
19 de dez. de 2008, 13:07:2919/12/2008
para
On Thu, 18 Dec 2008 00:25:04 -0800, Malcontent <malcon...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:15:01 -1000, JW <Jo...@clearwire.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 00:31:36 -0600, Morph The Cat
>><squirr...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
>>>-----------------
>>>www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed*
>>>Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road
>>>-----------------
>>
>>A ridiculous waste of a high draft pick when they already have Hill.
>>Hill may not be a long term answer, but he knows the job better than
>>Branford or any other high QB draft pick. Perhaps draft countdown has
>>forgotten about Alex Smith?
>
>Shawn Hill is a good interim QB and backup when we find our franchise
>QB, the 49ers would be dumb to pass on Stafford if he falls to us
>(highly unlikely), but Bradford comes from a gimmick offense, much
>like that of what Alex Smith played in.
>
>Bradford has one of the best Offensive lines in College so he has all
>day to make passes.
>

>If the 49ers believe that Alex Smith is the answer then....

They should all be fired. He's made it abundantly clear that he isn't.
--
Greg Lentz

Greg Lentz

não lida,
19 de dez. de 2008, 13:08:4619/12/2008
para

No problem. They have old draft histories on the internet if you ever
want to look them up. I use www.drafthistory.com.
--
Greg Lentz

donotspam-...@email.com

não lida,
19 de dez. de 2008, 14:06:4719/12/2008
para
Greg Lentz skrev:

I know that, but I had it in my head that Brady was a 5th rounder. Don't
know where I got it from, but it had stuck. Think I read it some badly
informed newspaper over here a couple of years ago.

MK

Bill Thompson

não lida,
21 de dez. de 2008, 01:44:2821/12/2008
para

"Greg Lentz" <nodam...@speakeasy.net> wrote in message
> Greg Lentz]

I bet those same draft histories show Lott was drafted as a QB.

Bill Thompson

não lida,
21 de dez. de 2008, 01:46:2121/12/2008
para
"Ron" <ronald...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Definitely a bad draft to have the #1 pick.. Braylon Edwards has 20 drops
this year...

Gary Rosen

não lida,
21 de dez. de 2008, 02:55:0421/12/2008
para

"Bill Thompson" <no...@nohow.com> wrote in message

Amazingly enough, the site claims he was drafted in 1981 as a DB
but don't let the facts get in the way of a good story.

- Gary Rosen

JW

não lida,
31 de dez. de 2008, 21:50:5931/12/2008
<malcon...@gmail.com> wrote:

>On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 16:15:01 -1000, JW <Jo...@clearwire.net> wrote:
>
>>On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 00:31:36 -0600, Morph The Cat
>><squirr...@comcast.net> wrote:
>>
>>>http://www.draftcountdown.com/sub/Mock-Draft-A.php
>>>-----------------
>>>www.Newsgroup-Binaries.com - *Completion*Retention*Speed*
>>>Access your favorite newsgroups from home or on the road
>>>-----------------
>>
>>A ridiculous waste of a high draft pick when they already have Hill.
>>Hill may not be a long term answer, but he knows the job better than
>>Branford or any other high QB draft pick. Perhaps draft countdown has
>>forgotten about Alex Smith?
>
>Shawn Hill is a good interim QB and backup when we find our franchise
>QB, the 49ers would be dumb to pass on Stafford if he falls to us
>(highly unlikely), but Bradford comes from a gimmick offense, much
>like that of what Alex Smith played in.
>
>Bradford has one of the best Offensive lines in College so he has all
>day to make passes.

That wouldn't be the case with the Niners, or at least so it seems
after the past season.

>If the 49ers believe that Alex Smith is the answer then they should
>ignore QB until the 5th or 6th round and take a 3rd string QB to
>replace Just Turn Overs.

At worst, they should give Smith a try and nothing lost on a small
contract, plus as you said, they could pick up another QB in the lower
rounds.

I think that when Martz got the axe, JT saw the writing on the wall.
Singletary's not going to compound a mistake by keeping Martz' pet
around for another year.

poldy

não lida,
1 de jan. de 2009, 11:36:1901/01/2009
para
In article <nobol4d4co74hjt5p...@4ax.com>,
JW <Jo...@clearwire.net> wrote:

> >Shawn Hill is a good interim QB and backup when we find our franchise
> >QB, the 49ers would be dumb to pass on Stafford if he falls to us
> >(highly unlikely), but Bradford comes from a gimmick offense, much
> >like that of what Alex Smith played in.
> >
> >Bradford has one of the best Offensive lines in College so he has all
> >day to make passes.

Just saw a mock draft on ESPN which has Bradford going first.

I don't think he's even declared for the draft yet.

It will depend on the championship game. Both whether he comes out and
how his stock moves.

JW

não lida,
1 de jan. de 2009, 20:25:1001/01/2009
para

Mock drafts are so much BS. Bradford will be gone before he comes
anywhere near 10th. If the Niners go for anyone, it'll be a DE,S or
CB. At least two of the regular NFL draft sites are high on the
Niners picking Taylor Mays with the 10th pick. If there was one
glaring spot that haunted the Niners all season, it was Mark Roman's
spot.

poldy

não lida,
1 de jan. de 2009, 23:16:3701/01/2009
para
In article <33rql491u42p560hr...@4ax.com>,
JW <Jo...@clearwire.net> wrote:

We could definitely use an upgrade at the safeties. However, the
Raiders drafted safeties in the top 10 twice in the last 5 years or so
and they've both not done anything.

I'd be wary about safeties unless there was a sure guy like Landry.

JW

não lida,
2 de jan. de 2009, 01:46:3902/01/2009
para

Considering this season's Raider performance, it'll be a WR or a OT.
You don't have to worry about a safety like Mays. Check these out and
see if you don't feel just a little better about him.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=augIi76eJ8w
There are plenty more on the sidebar

Hits like a ton of bricks, not unlike our most famous S/CB.

0 nova mensagem