"Mark Sanchez is a series of contradictory statements"

Grinch

Nov 16, 2010, 1:57:51 PM11/16/10
FOers rates the QB performances of the week.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/quick-reads/2010/quick-reads-week-10
~~~~~

1. Tom Brady ...

2. Kyle Orton ...

3. Michael Vick

10. Mark Sanchez

Mark Sanchez is a series of contradictory statements.

Sanchez is lucky because the Browns dropped two interceptions in the
red zone, including an Abram Elam pick that the Browns safety treated
like a hand grenade.

Sanchez is unlucky because Nick Folk turned three of his drives into
zero points.

Sanchez is clutch because he hit Santonio Holmes for a game-winning
touchdown with 24 seconds left; he isn't clutch because it took him
four drives to get there.

The one interception he actually did end up throwing was a good
matchup (Braylon Edwards vs. Joe Haden) well downfield on third-and-
long. If you compare that throw to his near-picks, it was by far the
best decision of the three.

He also did an excellent Ben Roethlisberger impression late in the
game, working his way out of two sure sacks to pick up a pair of first
downs, and he picked up a rushing touchdown in the second quarter.

It was a good performance that could have been much better or much
worse.
~~~~

FWIW

Harlan Lachman

Nov 16, 2010, 5:24:16 PM11/16/10
In article
<b8960ed8-9254-4e33...@j9g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
Grinch <oldn...@mindspring.com> wrote:

Thanks for the cut and paste. I agree with this assessment. I would have
added the flukiness of Sanchez' accuracy, both the randomly throwing
high the announcers saw and the weird misses. On the other hand some of
his throws on the run are beyond belief (I guess after last night one
has to write almost Vick-like).

Johnny Morongo

Nov 16, 2010, 5:31:51 PM11/16/10

Vick and Sanchez in the same breath? Hmmmm.

Message has been deleted

Michael

Nov 16, 2010, 9:36:54 PM11/16/10
On Nov 16, 5:24 pm, Harlan Lachman <har...@eeivt.com> wrote:
> In article
> <b8960ed8-9254-4e33-ae96-cc7410870...@j9g2000vbr.googlegroups.com>,
> h- Hide quoted text -

vick and sanchez dont appear to be alike to me. sanchez is mobile in
and around the pocket to extend plays and escape the rush. always
with passing in mind. the early vick used the threat of passing to
set up his running gains. the current vick does much the same but he
has evolved into more of a real passing qb. sanchez has the best
footwork i have ever seen of any qb at any level, but he is a passer
and not a guy looking to run with the ball to gain yardage

Michael

Nov 16, 2010, 9:57:18 PM11/16/10

I was thinking about what well known QB's that Sanchez is most like.
Vick is not the one IMHO. Sanchez has passing in mind. Vick was a
guy that had running gains in mind.

Here is who I think Sanchez is like...

First, I think a bit about Steve Young. Both Young and Sanchez could
move and had a feel for the pocket. But then again... Not alike.
Thus far, Steve Young's passing appears to be more consistent while
Sanchez does not look perfect all the time. He throws an amazing pass
and he can also throw some bad ones that you probably would not see
Young throw. I have a feeling that Sanchez will continue to play that
way. Occasional stinkekers. BUT... I see Sanchez and doing the right
things when he has to. Almost in an uncanny manner. Also.... His
escape ability and the way he gets a pass off just after he gets out
of what looks to be a sure sack. Does not look so much like Young or
Vick. Almost like there is more instinct and if you will, fools luck
to Sanchez. IMHO, the guy that Sanchez reminds me most of is
Stabler. Sanchez is a more athletic and graceful Stabler without the
booze.

Harlan Lachman

Nov 17, 2010, 8:58:21 AM11/17/10
In article
<142b7d90-4dc0-4d3d...@r6g2000vbf.googlegroups.com>,
John C TX <johnc...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > Vick and Sanchez in the same breath?   Hmmmm.
>

> which one is worser?

Right now Sanchez.

Vick is playing at a very high level. He is a 1000 times better runner.
He is a more accurate passer in the pocket. He is better at avoiding
tacklers in the pocket. In fact, the only guy I remember having
defenders not rush so he doesn't get by them is Vince Young in college.

All I was referring to is Sanchez unexplained accuracy while throwing
off the run. Given his lack of accuracy at other times, to me it is odd.

Message has been deleted